Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/yacobg42/status/1786037208836698370

INDIKA is a third-person adventure game out on Xbox, PC and PS5. You play as Indika, a nun living in a monastery in the snow-clad hills of Russia during a harsh winter ruined by war, famine, absurdist magic realism, and a monastery of nuns who all hate your guts for reasons indiscernible to the player. There's a voice in her head - is she possessed by the Devil, thus causing such disdain? The voice tells her sin is good though, so, perhaps? Or is it Indika herself whose human failings have created such grief?

After tending to some menial work (which includes a horrible yet hilarious scene), and years of not being blessed to leave, Indika is tasked with sending a sealed letter to another monastery with strict instructions not to read. Indika must thus embark, on foot, on this epic journey of self-discovery and decide whether she should ultimately kill God at the end of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZdaWdtYUvU

This is a 3-5 hour experience with light puzzles which you can finish in one afternoon where you'll get into a series of surreal incidents which can be comedic to the point of being way too dark, or a serious examination of the subjective interpretation of good and evil, and each person's choice of devoting one's self to God. It is also a game where pointing out its highlights are pretty much spoilers and thus difficult to discuss, but it has interesting (albeit shallow) usage of game mechanics such as levelling up, city building, retro 16-bit arcade gaming, and even motor racing. There's a button exclusively used for prayer.

What I can tell you is that the marketing of this game over-hypes it and you should go in without any of these expectations. I played this on the recommendation of that Jacob Geller tweet and only after finishing it, I saw it being called a "A24 elevated horror experience similar to reading a Russian novel" and I don't really think it aims to be that or even reaches that height. There's a trailer claiming it has all these intrinsic game mechanics, but most of them appear once for thematic effect and will only repeat if it's necessary. It is, however, profoundly weird (positive) and has some of the most interesting scenes I've seen in video games this year. It's very much a "not for everyone" game but if whatever's on this post intrigues you, I recommend you give it a play.

The game has a demo.

:siren: Content Warning: Nudity and sexual assault (not shown) :siren:

Screens:

Steam: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1373960/INDIKA/
PS5: https://store.playstation.com/en-us/concept/10008296
Xbox: https://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/store/indika/9n020kfqg301

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
This is completely fascinating and I have wishlisted it for sure.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
Nice OP! (I have nothing substantiative to add :haw: )

I'd never heard of this game until day or two ago. But I've always got time for the "short narrative experience". Also, the logo treatment for this game is just *absurdly* eye-catching. Roll on the 8th.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't know what I was expecting but it certainly wasn't that.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

23 minutes in and I have two thoughts:

1) I hate drawing water from wells

2) This is the most Eastern European thing I've seen/read in a while, wow.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I saw a really terrible ad on youtube for this game, which is the extent of my knowledge.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

this game loving rules in a way that other weird things that kind of suck also loving rule

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

If it's the ad that says "strong woman" it is genuinely terrible that both repels people and sets expectations way too high. A truly weird promo for a truly weird game.

Forgot to mention but this is playable on deck with slowdowns here and there, and there isn't much graphical options to tweak so all I did was turn off motion blur

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Those pixel parts really cooled down my hype. I probably should've caught onto them considering the UI's styling, but I guess I really wanted a cool russian art house game and instead it's more goddamn postmodernism

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Loading tip: Don't worry too much about collecting points, they are pointless. *thinks back to the reward of filling the water bucket*

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I missed three points while falling in the intro and it's actively bothering me.

FauxLeather
Nov 7, 2016

Um Bongo
This Nun is Forklift Certified ⛪☦️🚧🏗️

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The points system is one of the best things about the game but it's absolutely impossible to say why without getting into massive spoilers.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Really cool little game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

been very interested in this though it seemed like it wasn't on anyone's radar until a few days ago. glad to see i was wrong

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

108 minutes in. hosed up by, gestures, all of that. This is the kind of game I can only take in small doses because it goes so hard.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

This is a very special game.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I am having a hell of a time trying to figure out what the forklift portion wants me to do

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

try parking it strategically so you can walk over the top of it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wrapped this in two sittings, I kinda feel like I was hit by a truck. What an incredible, ambitious little game, and also just such an compelling story and presentation. I went into it knowing very little and I'm glad I did. I kind of feel like this is a game that should be approached almost completely blind, so I guess I'm thankful I didn't read the (well written :) ) OP, because I think it's maybe giving a bit too much away.

Anyways, for anyone on the fence about this, here are a few games that I would compare Indika to for recommendation's sake (not necessarily mechanically or in the same genre, but regarding theme and scope): SOMA, Inscryption, Hellblade, Returnal, Amnesia: Rebirth, What Remains of Edith Finch

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 11:36 on May 18, 2024