Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thepossiblelight
Jul 2, 2007
shut up.
Problem description: Upgraded ram on laptop from 8GB stock to 16GB of kingston. Dell bios recognized a PROBLEM! and did a memory scan and it came out fine.
After memory scan and reboot the only message the laptop will display after POST is "No Bootable Device Found"
In the "bios" (or whatever the term is for UEFI bootloader) the hard drive is no longer detected as bootable.
Using windows recovery the hard drive, both partitions, is recognized.
The hard drive itself is not shown under the UEFI boot devices. Only onboard nics are.
(forgive any misnaming or bad descriptions please. I'm not very conversant in UEFI. I've been rolling my own since '02 but haven't had much occasion to mess with this. I'm mostly familiar with using gparted or windows installer to handle partition and formatting.)

Attempted fixes: Tried using BOOTREC: doesn't recognize any windows installation.
Windows Startup Repair: Doesn't recognize the hard drive and cannot perform automated repair on it.

Recent changes: Ram upgrade as stated.
This seems to have been the catalyst for this problem.

--

Operating system: some flavor of Windows 10 home.

System specs: Dell Inspiron 3593
Service tag: 654JC33
Core i3 10051G1 @ 1.2GHZ
DDR4 - 16gb - 2667mhz
1tb spinning disk

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes: FAQ is mostly useful for when the hard drive is detecting a windows install but is damaged in some small way.
In my case it is detecting the 1tb spinning disk and the 2 partitions on it and even the structure of the file system in a windows recovery command prompt, but is not detecting whatever in UEFI it needs to boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
My first thought is legacy mode needs to be turned on

Thepossiblelight
Jul 2, 2007
shut up.

down1nit posted:

My first thought is legacy mode needs to be turned on

legacy mode is not an option that i can find in the dell bios

i'm not able to set any of the partitions as active because the drive is not a fixed mbr disk
I'm trying to find ways to repair the disk to get uefi to recognize it.
I am very cautious and do not want to lose data.

I'm considering making a bootable flash drive to use a linux utility to back up the hard drive before continuing.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
OK if it's not an mbr then legacy won't matter. If you have another computer you should back this drive up because you will have to write to it eventually.

You will need a USB key, a windows installer, and a spare drive if you have one. Hope you have second pc

My next guess is that it's encrypted and having an installer ready to go can help you look at the drive files at least.

Thepossiblelight
Jul 2, 2007
shut up.

down1nit posted:

OK if it's not an mbr then legacy won't matter. If you have another computer you should back this drive up because you will have to write to it eventually.

You will need a USB key, a windows installer, and a spare drive if you have one. Hope you have second pc

My next guess is that it's encrypted and having an installer ready to go can help you look at the drive files at least.

I've got a large usb drive I was planning to back this up to. Macrium better than clonezilla?

Any guesses as to what actually happened?
I'm at a loss as to that part.
Is the GPT reparable? How does GPT relate to MBR? Any relation?

EDIT: I've used a windows bootable USB and looked at the drive in command prompt. It is recognized as being there and having 3 partitions and having a drive letter but just not being bootable

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Macrium is fine. Copying files is good too. Anything and everything to get the data before rewriting.

---
GPT is a partition scheme like MBR (mbr is named after a file that is also called an mbr making it even more confusing)

I usually do a google for "recreate efi partition" on windows help sites. You probably have two partitions that are small and one large one for three in total. Your files are all on the large one, but you will have to modify one or both of the small ones, usually the fat32 formatted one

I do this by *reformatting* the fat32 "efi partition" into fat32 again, then using BCDBOOT to copy fresh files from your WINDOWS directory, followed by a reboot and possibly BOOTREC. There's a guide here:

https://woshub.com/how-to-repair-deleted-efi-partition-in-windows-7/

Ignore the windows 7 there, it's exactly the same on all windows versions.

It's a lot of words to read but usually only a few commands that are actually used. Begin with the premise that you accidentally formatted the efi partition since it's a great place to start, and reformatting your efi partition is harmless at this stage. You usually don't need to touch the MSR "system" partition

It goes like this: diskpart, list volume, select volume X, assign, format /q, bcdboot x: y:\windows and it's usually done. The important bits are the "x:" and "y:" values.

down1nit fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thepossiblelight
Jul 2, 2007
shut up.

down1nit posted:

Macrium is fine. Copying files is good too. Anything and everything to get the data before rewriting.

---
GPT is a partition scheme like MBR (mbr is named after a file that is also called an mbr making it even more confusing)

I usually do a google for "recreate efi partition" on windows help sites. You probably have two partitions that are small and one large one for three in total. Your files are all on the large one, but you will have to modify one or both of the small ones, usually the fat32 formatted one

I do this by *reformatting* the fat32 "efi partition" into fat32 again, then using BCDBOOT to copy fresh files from your WINDOWS directory, followed by a reboot and possibly BOOTREC. There's a guide here:

https://woshub.com/how-to-repair-deleted-efi-partition-in-windows-7/

Ignore the windows 7 there, it's exactly the same on all windows versions.

It's a lot of words to read but usually only a few commands that are actually used. Begin with the premise that you accidentally formatted the efi partition since it's a great place to start, and reformatting your efi partition is harmless at this stage. You usually don't need to touch the MSR "system" partition

It goes like this: diskpart, list volume, select volume X, assign, format /q, bcdboot x: y:\windows and it's usually done. The important bits are the "x:" and "y:" values.

Just finished a macrium copy of the HDD to an external drive. Will give this a spin tonight!
Thank you in advance, no matter how it turns out