Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
For May I'm picking Koji Shiraishi's Occult

It's another one of Koji's found footage/fake documentary flicks and follows a group of documentarians as they follow around a guy planning a terrorist attack because he thinks it'll get him into paradise.

Our would be terrorist is Shohei Eno

It's a very weird tale with a great score and wild ending that I love a whole lot.

You can watch the full movie here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6qri3HnUQQ

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 05:23 on May 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'm sure I've made this post before but this is the second funniest movie about EXTREME SPOILER DO NOT READ BEFORE WATCHING THE MOVIE suicide bombers ever made and it's also genuinely upsetting and scare. shiraishi is a master

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Looking forward to it. I liked his last one I watched that was also a motm. Scared me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

God, this movie is so good. The sheer matter-of-factness that movie-koji approaches helping make a suicide vest to kill hundreds of people with is so deeply unsettling.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

This is an in incredibly good post 9/11 movie. And also, lets not lie, kingdom of the crystal skull also made me want to kill myself

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

That was loving great, Eno is the most bad vibes guy possible even before he reveals his plan and the soundtrack especially is amazing. I've been meaning to watch Shiraishi's movies for a long time so I'm glad this thread popped up to get me to.

I even loved MS Paint jellyfish hell.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I really liked the bit at the beginning where the guy was talking about seeing his dead girlfriend around, like in that video where she just looks directly at the camera. I want to see a movie focused more around that because it is kind of insane.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Two reactions to this movie:

First, it’s incredible how almost everything that happens is exactly what you would expect, but it’s still shocking.

Second, Shiraishi cites Abbas Kiarostami as an influential filmmaker for his work, and you can really feel it, beyond the superficial fascination with actors portraying themselves in a film.

Questions for those who’ve watched:

What were they beeping out in the audio track? It seemed to be a name early on, and then something about “Indiana Jones” seemed to be censored both audibly and visually.

Do we get any sense of who the man that attacks them and claims to know what they’re up to is?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

My partner’s reaction immediately after watching: “I’m scared! I haven’t been scared by a movie in a long time. I am kind of upset.”

Three hours later: “That was a good movie. I will never, ever watch it again.”

The following day: “I would watch it again if you do.”

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Do not :sever:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

This film was pretty good! I liked it even though i wasn't particularly upset or scared by any of it, i don't watch many horror movies and found this one pretty funny actually

One thing I could really do without: the flashbacks, like "remember this thing that happened 20 minutes ago that the characters are now referring to? Let's watch that thing again". I'm not sure what they're going for with that stuff, for me i just shook my head and mouthed "yeah i know" each time it happened

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Jay Rust posted:

This film was pretty good! I liked it even though i wasn't particularly upset or scared by any of it, i don't watch many horror movies and found this one pretty funny actually

One thing I could really do without: the flashbacks, like "remember this thing that happened 20 minutes ago that the characters are now referring to? Let's watch that thing again". I'm not sure what they're going for with that stuff, for me i just shook my head and mouthed "yeah i know" each time it happened

It’s a stylistic/formal imitation of lurid TV paranormal specials, which it sounds like Shiraishi got his start filming. Honestly, I really liked that element because it irritates me when horror movies lean on the “blink and you’ll miss it” hidden ghosts lol

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

yeah, Koji's Senritsu Kaiki movies, which are even more explicitly a riff on ghost hunters-style TV specials, use the flashback-with-intertitles gag a lot and it rules

Moonlit Knight
Nov 26, 2018
Saw this a while ago, quite a cool movie.

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

This was pretty dang good! Good to point out the soundtrack, very fitting.
Had a good laugh at the scene transition from "The world is full of... loving loonies" to building the suicide vest.

Anonymous Robot posted:

What were they beeping out in the audio track? It seemed to be a name early on, and then something about “Indiana Jones” seemed to be censored both audibly and visually.

Do we get any sense of who the man that attacks them and claims to know what they’re up to is?

Same questions from me!

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

If only he had gone to see Hulk

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Eno claims to be an Indiana Jones fan but he says the name comes from the state of Indiana. Learn the lore

Anyway watched this today and it's still really good. I had forgotten the scene where the stranger shows up to stop him and warns him the other dimension is hell.. And that moment when they leave Korean BBQ and Eno vomits then Koji sees the first guy with a tentacle head is so drat good.

A great eerie slow build all the way through.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

Two reactions to this movie:

First, it’s incredible how almost everything that happens is exactly what you would expect, but it’s still shocking.

Second, Shiraishi cites Abbas Kiarostami as an influential filmmaker for his work, and you can really feel it, beyond the superficial fascination with actors portraying themselves in a film.

Just watched it, really enjoyed it. I was thinking about both those things too.

For the beeping, I have no idea either - Would like to hear what other people think!

For the guy who seems to know what they're up to, I don't think anything in the film reveals any more about it, but I just figured that he had been chosen by another god to try to stop or warn them.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

I agree on the second point. Having seen this and Noroi, and having read about some of Shiraishi’s other works, it occurs to me that, for all their bleakness, it is important to Shiraishi that his films show us hope. His works always show us that the supernatural can be understood, can even be apprehended, it is just incredibly laborious and dangerous to achieve. But things that can be understood can likely be overcome. Often, filmmaking is a key tool, and the filmmaking instrument exposed and documents the incredibly important ephemeral aspects of our world.

In Noroi, the researchers are correct about the origin of the curse, they identify it and trace it to its latest manifestation and have an approach that seems to work to exorcise it, they’re just late. And still, notably, they leave a document behind for us.

In Occult, we see that someone with knowledge of the supernatural has been dispatched to stop the bombers. By who or why, we don’t know, but this is almost the only point in the entire movie where anyone even pays Eno any regard, let alone tries to intervene. It suggests to us that there may be benevolent forces at work as there are evil ones, though it seems likely that their avatars are similarly outcast and deranged.

This idea that there is a wider cosmic struggle, and that sense of adventure of being able to stand against existential terror, seems to be a big part of the Senritsu Kaiji File series.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 20:48 on May 17, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah that is on the money. Its something I find refreshing about his stuff, there is a rule book, but nobody has it. Maybe some seen a paragraph, or actually got a hold of a few pages, but for the most part everyone is clueless. But there is always something material underpinning everything. And the way all this ties back into hope feels like it becomes a bigger part of his found footage stuff the later you go into the discography.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's something that comes up a lot in specifically J-Horror, the idea that the paranormal world has hard and fast rules like the real world, it's just that we don't comprehend the rules until we've run foul of them.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I feel like that one guy could've tried harder to retrieve Eno's backpack, he was pretty low-energy

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Anonymous Robot posted:

Its been a while since I’ve seen but my guess was they bleeped out the word “homeless.” I know there are some different cultural beliefs in Japan about it and thought that maybe it’s not allowed to be said on tv. It might have also been “psycho,” bleeped for similar cultural reasons.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
(Good pick, MZ. Just going to copy over part of my review from the challenge thread with the plot summary excised...)

I will say up front that, as a certified found footage hater, I haven't been too eager to dip my toes into the works of Koji Shiraishi, despite the horror thread's strong recommendations. But I'm running the May horror challenge, and I'd be remiss if I skipped a horror film being featured as the movie of the month. So I'm happy to say Occult is easily one of the best found footage movies I've seen. It's not without problems, and I still really dislike the conventions of the genre, but I'll set those nitpicks/complaints aside* because the investigation/mystery narrative drew me in and I was engaged the whole time. And, unlike most found footage movies, there's a really good performance at the center of it. Eno initially seems shiftless but harmless, but as the movie goes on you realize he had a lot of antisocial tendencies even before the run-in with the killer. The meta qualities of most of the actors portraying fictionalized versions of themselves was fun. I got a really good laugh when they went to talk to Kiyoshi Kurosawa about some ancient runes they found. And the supernatural elements are doled out appropriately, so the points of escalation feel pretty earned. I also like the kind of minimalist score that was mostly droning electronic noise stuff. I'd come back to this again sometime, and I'll keep my eye on Noroi for the next Shiraishi flick I watch.

* Fine, ONE found footage complaint. Some of this is handheld camera footage from tourists and Eno, granted, but a lot of it is a professional documentary film crew. Why the gently caress can't they hold a camera straight or frame a shot correctly? My family home videos from an '80s consumer grade VHS camera look more professional than a lot of this movie. I actually briefly considered turning it off about 5-10 minutes in because I was getting nauseous until I settled in.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Crescent Wrench posted:

My family home videos from an '80s consumer grade VHS camera look more professional than a lot of this movie.

Yeah and all the cgi looks like a PlayStation cut scene. What gives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

DeimosRising posted:

Yeah and all the cgi looks like a PlayStation cut scene. What gives

I know, it was awesome.