Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I've been thinking lately about how this website has persisted. There's been a lot of drama, an ancient internet legend about being a garbage dump, a haven of demons or large bats, some occasional cross-thread trolling, and still this place hasn't quite died... even as it has gotten gayer. This isn't any kind of official feedback or discussion thread, but I thought it would be fun to reflect on why it's still fun to post here, if you can peel back the slimy outer later coating around the place.

Let's see... I think I first got drawn in here by people being super passionate about doing things right. It can get kind of bonkers sometimes, but if there's a discussion topic about anything, be it a video game, hermit crab care, whatever you do with cars, or history factoids, there's probably a dedicated thread who are obsessed with it and can give helpful advice.

I appreciate the sense of humor here. People can be sarcastic, or tease someone for being dumb, and it's not slapped down for stepping out of line with a really rigid code of conduct. Sometimes mod actions can feel kind of lovely, but there's actual people to talk crap out with, instead of an algorithm or faceless drones everything is outsourced to who slowly go insane from trauma like with Facebook or Twitter.

I like that I can say something stupid or jokey, and people will riff on that, or maybe it spawns a food derail that makes me hungry.

I had fun reporting a picture of bird testicles for the mods in the mod forum to admire.

That's all I can think of right now.

What are your favorite reasons to still read these forums?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
first

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

doing stuff like this

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Every six months or so, someone posts a prehistoric animals thread in GBS or PYF, and they are always excellent.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Nuns with Guns posted:

In no particular order:

PYF has a lot of weird (in a good way) stuff that I would never be exposed to otherwise, and lots of kitties. (Kitties are also elsewhere on the internet, to be fair)

TVIV is generally fun, either because everyone is liking a show and theorycrafting, or because there's That One Goon who doesn't get stuff, the most infamous one being the "Stormfront can't be a nazi!" dude who kept it up until the teevee show had pictures of her sitting and laughing around with Hitler himself to underline that yes, the character Stormfront is a literal nazi and you shouldn't like her.

Games has good threads, both in the main and in the subforums. Sometimes there are Dominions LPs :ibadpop:

I will admit to reading Dungeons and Debates, too, but that place is slowly dying I think.

GBS has some fun megathreads I try to keep up with, like Aliens, fans post a lot of great content.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I love the way these forums host dozens of little subcommunities. Sometimes they're weird but more often it's just a little glimpse of a hobby you know nothing about and that's great.

Also the only bigot-free place I've found online though I admit I don't look many other places.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

I enjoy threads that I don't even visit. For example, the PYF Weird Dog thread. I have no interest in viewing weird dogs, I find them distasteful. However it pleases me to know that there are weird dogs out there, and goons are diligently documenting them on the daily.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
I really, really appreciate when someone comes in a posts some random question, and within an hour someone who just happens to be an expert on that subject provides a thorough effort post addressing the issue. I have learned so much over the last twenty years because of those posts.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

Personally, I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs.

SAY YOHO
Oct 5, 2021
I read these forums because they are dumb and gay (like me)

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022

I'm open to interpretation!
It’s ironically the only place on the internet I can visit and people don’t immediately call me an insane person for believing SA survivors.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Rappaport posted:

TVIV is generally fun, either because everyone is liking a show and theorycrafting, or because there's That One Goon who doesn't get stuff, the most infamous one being the "Stormfront can't be a nazi!" dude who kept it up until the teevee show had pictures of her sitting and laughing around with Hitler himself to underline that yes, the character Stormfront is a literal nazi and you shouldn't like her.

Honestly, yes I love that even here you'll get someone wandering into a thread sometimes who says something that makes the music cut out and everyone turns to look at them like a stranger rolling into and Old West saloon.

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...
Every time. I've been here for decades and I feel that way every time.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Since I joined the forums I have been bewildered by the stranger and stranger sentences I would write, and people would nod their heads sagely and say, yes that not only absolutely parses, but you have neglected to mention this even stranger detail.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
inertia, generally

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Since I joined the forums I have been bewildered by the stranger and stranger sentences I would write, and people would nod their heads sagely and say, yes that not only absolutely parses, but you have neglected to mention this even stranger detail.

do you remember that person that (insane thing) and then it turned out that (even more insane thing) and wow what do you know, (thing that makes everything before look sane as a potato patch)?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
every now and then somebody makes a funny post and I laugh

shipwrek
Dec 11, 2009

Drunk octopus wants
to fight you

vyelkin posted:

every now and then somebody makes a funny post and I laugh

:haibrow:

Also the ratio of genuine and decent people compared to *flails in the general direction of "the internet".

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the appeal of forums in general is that you only see what is posted in chronological order, there is no algorithm or user votes dictating what gets surfaced and what gets buried. obviously you can still curate what you read to some degree but you have to do that work. and i like that!

as for somethingawful specifically, i like to read the funny posts. also some completely insane things have happened on and around this website and i want to be around to see it lol.

Barry White
Jun 28, 2008

Luke Skywalker kills Han Solo's son at the climax of Episode VII

lobster shirt posted:

the appeal of forums in general is that you only see what is posted in chronological order, there is no algorithm or user votes dictating what gets surfaced and what gets buried. obviously you can still curate what you read to some degree but you have to do that work. and i like that!

as for somethingawful specifically, i like to read the funny posts. also some completely insane things have happened on and around this website and i want to be around to see it lol.

Pretty much this & helldump which did some good work cleaning up the forums, I didn’t know about it at the time but going back through a year or two after got me mostly lolling at posters before they went looking for targets and then infighting.

Case in point on cleaning house (Requires archives) - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2621011&perpage=40&pagenumber=1&noseen=1

Now I mainly keep up with a few threads across the forums. Times have changed and I’ve changed with them. The Legends thread is good even if I’m not a gamer.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

lobster shirt posted:

It’s also linear instead of a threaded horror. Quoting is so much more effective than threading.

Also, the search is not enshittified.

I am a white noise poster but I love gross stories and filthy jokes and SA is filled with them. Liquid rats, scat lasagnas, and “your mom” quotes that would make Cicero weep.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
It's the only club that'll have me.

edit for serious: I have always struggled socially. I can't read body language at all, sarcasm tends to go over my head unless I know the person very well, facial expressions leave me bewildered most of the time. I find real-life engagement with people to be a nonstop barrage of esoteric nuance. I can't keep up with what people are talking about, and their interests usually only marginally align with my own.

This is a community I've been part of since I was 16. I've grown along with it; I get most of the jokes, and most of the jokes are referencing things I was part of twenty+ years ago so it isn't all references and jokes and in-humor that is lost to me. Most of the time I can engage with people on these forums, even when it's a topic I know nothing about or have very little interest, because the language is generally structured in a way I'm so familiar with that it isn't just alien gobbledegook. These forums still abide largely by the flavor of when it was established, as others have said, it not being mixed around by algorithms and modern incarnations of Internet socialization. And best of all, I joined these forums when I was an immature dummy, and so did a lot of goons, but I feel like I've grown and matured in the right way, and so have these forums. I can't say that about almost anything else I've known for twenty years.

credburn has a new favorite as of 01:24 on May 2, 2024

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

credburn posted:

It's the only club that'll have me.

edit for serious: I have always struggled socially. I can't read body language at all, sarcasm tends to go over my head unless I know the person very well, facial expressions leave me bewildered most of the time. I find real-life engagement with people to be a nonstop barrage of esoteric nuance. I can't keep up with what people are talking about, and their interests usually only marginally align with my own.

This is a community I've been part of since I was 16. I've grown along with it; I get most of the jokes, and most of the jokes are referencing things I was part of twenty+ years ago so it isn't all references and jokes and in-humor that is lost to me. Most of the time I can engage with people on these forums, even when it's a topic I know nothing about or have very little interest, because the language is generally structured in a way I'm so familiar with that it isn't just alien gobbledegook. These forums still abide largely by the flavor of when it was established, as others have said, it not being mixed around by algorithms and modern incarnations of Internet socialization. And best of all, I joined these forums when I was an immature dummy, and so did a lot of goons, but I feel like I've grown and matured in the right way, and so have these forums. I can't say that about almost anything else I've known for twenty years.

Yeah, this is a cool place and I've met a lot of nice people through it. And I'll echo some other sentiments that I've learned a lot from all the weirdos here, politics-wise, and it's one of the few nerd spaces I'm not constantly bracing for someone to morph into a rantsona with a fedora on. Not all the time at least.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
it's funny, it's informative, it's a twenty-year habit, blatant phobics get banned

and the lack of voting/likes/rating on individual posts allows me to exist in blissful unawareness of how bad my posting is

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nuns with Guns posted:

I've been thinking lately about how this website has persisted. There's been a lot of drama, an ancient internet legend about being a garbage dump, a haven of demons or large bats, some occasional cross-thread trolling, and still this place hasn't quite died... even as it has gotten gayer. This isn't any kind of official feedback or discussion thread, but I thought it would be fun to reflect on why it's still fun to post here, if you can peel back the slimy outer later coating around the place.

Let's see... I think I first got drawn in here by people being super passionate about doing things right. It can get kind of bonkers sometimes, but if there's a discussion topic about anything, be it a video game, hermit crab care, whatever you do with cars, or history factoids, there's probably a dedicated thread who are obsessed with it and can give helpful advice.

I appreciate the sense of humor here. People can be sarcastic, or tease someone for being dumb, and it's not slapped down for stepping out of line with a really rigid code of conduct. Sometimes mod actions can feel kind of lovely, but there's actual people to talk crap out with, instead of an algorithm or faceless drones everything is outsourced to who slowly go insane from trauma like with Facebook or Twitter.

I like that I can say something stupid or jokey, and people will riff on that, or maybe it spawns a food derail that makes me hungry.

I had fun reporting a picture of bird testicles for the mods in the mod forum to admire.

That's all I can think of right now.

I mostly stick around because I like your posts Op

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Wait, misread the name, sorry never mind. Thought I made the thread

CoffeeBoofer
Dec 10, 2023
oldpostless

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

oldpainless posted:

Wait, misread the name, sorry never mind. Thought I made the thread

I'm getting old too, op. There's no shame in that.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
No algorithm, no invasive ads.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
It's a distilled example of what was good about the old internet.

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
I am also dead and gay, but teeming with life. I've been lurking here since I was about 12, this is a lifelong problem of mine, and it's caused me to meet some of the very best people in the world. It's a rotten old town with a new town slowly built on the ruins by the people who outlived them. It's full of ghosts, stories, regrets, legends, jokes, and History.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
That is not dead which can eternal gay
And with strange aeons
even
I'm gay

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
same reason I'm still married

Shishkahuben
Mar 5, 2009

other sites have gotten progressively crappier over a long enough span of time that this lump of frozen slag is now the highest hill in the eroded badlands that make up my favorites bar

Lawson posted:

same reason I'm still married

we love you too buddy :kimchi:

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Nuns with Guns posted:

This hits the nail on the head for me. I've been coming to SA for nearly 20 years and the thing I love most about this site is that if you're wrong or stupid, people will tell you and won't sugar-coat it. I have to appreciate a community that cultivates that level of honesty, even if I've been on the receiving end of it before! :v:

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
as long as soros keeps on paying me, i'll keep on posting

dee eight has a new favorite as of 21:43 on May 18, 2024

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
the pyf pubes thread

and cspam

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
For internet communication with strangers I just hate everything else. Forums are the best way to do it. People can still go crazy on forums, but forums aren't literally the Torment Nexus from "Don't Create The Torment Nexus" like every other social is. They discovered the way to make content that drives you insane into an addictive product, and gently caress that.

It sounds insane to say but forums are a healthier way to do it, if you're going to use the internet at all, which I don't recommend.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
If Lord of the Rings was written today, people would say the Palantir is an obvious social media analogy or something. A shiny compelling object that lets you see what's happening all across the world, but the shadowy entity controlling it only lets see things that make you depressed and/or compelled to keep watching!?
Or in other words

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

forums aren't literally the Torment Nexus from "Don't Create The Torment Nexus" like every other social is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This place doesn't loving 'game-ify' posting on it, it's pretty strictly moderated (for all the controversies there have been) so enshittification is usually nipped in the bud, it's relatively trustworthy, with folk coming from all different sources of experience/professionalism... compared to the absolute brain-blasting volume of pointlessness in other social media sites, this place is pretty good.