Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

Concept
Wanted to try and run a fantasy RPG using a kind of mashup of Ironsworn/Starforged (a popular solo RPG system with a kind of PbtA ethos/feel). The idea is you choose a section of the map and then describe the local setting, occupants, relevant organisation/s, your character and what their "quest" is and then we roll with it in the hopes that through the amalgam of different ideas we get a somewhat unique world. You don't have to stick strictly to what's actually visible on the map and we can probably add iconography as necessary. Maybe players will never encounter each other, perhaps players might choose to inhabit the same area to intentionally interact.

Scope
In terms of power level I imagine that players shouldn't really expect more influence than some minor noble. There will be no nobles or power beyond city-state level. Perhaps if players do want to share some organization with a wider scope having branches in multiple places (as you might expect of some kind of postal service) that organization would not be seeking to create any kind of power superior to a city (or whatever term appropriate to the larger community). Essentially, no creating a group, then taking control of the group, then trying to use a group to build an empire. If you play a minor noble then your opposition will likely arise from your fellows rather than some other players group.

Perhaps it's unclear exactly how minor noble translates to other milieu, suffice to say that you should not be playing some terraforming magician, the general of a great army, or some other power of global significance.

If you want to play anything below that in terms of power/influence, then these cautions shouldn't apply to you.

Character Creation
Character's should be heroic. That is to say that I don't want to portray the good guys trying to thwart your evil schemes. You don't have to be a boy scout about it, but you should be making the world a better place.

You can find the Starforged Playkit and Rules summary here: https://www.ironswornrpg.com/downloads

It's somewhat sci-fi themed but I don't think it's too hard to reimagine for Fantasy. Instead of assets we'll be using roles. So to make a character you will assign a 3, 2 ,2, 1, 1 to the Edge, Heart, Iron, Shadow, Wits attributes. Then choose three things (roles) that define your character they will give you a +1 to rolls when appropriate. They could be your background, occupation, school of magic, maybe even a sidekick. Also choose an NPC (not a sidekick) who is significant to you to be a bond. Then I just need to know what your "quest" is.

Setting/Organisation/Occupants Creation

No particular restrictions apart from the vibes I have established above. Let your imagination run wild!

Interaction

It would be nice if we end up collaborating but I don't see it as a necessity per se. If you want to choose a corner of the map to set up shop and not really interact I think that should be okay. But at least you should trust me as DM to take the raw material that you produce and then pull the levers as I see fit to provide the actual game for you to play in. That does mean that I reserve the right to final decisions regarding outcomes, circumstances, maybe even adapting things you created for the sake of your adventure or for the sake of the larger world. And if someone does go out of their way to travel to the little place you created I hope that you can be hospitable and letting them contribute to the expansion of the lore you created.

Questions

Please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

I'm intrigued because I'm a sucker for collaborative storytelling.

1. What are the expectations with participation? None, once a week, something else?

2. I notice having a vehicle seems to be a key mechanic with Starforged (the starship, etc). Does that mean all characters will have a ship of some kind?

3. Define "fantasy." Is it high fantasy, or low fantasy? Elves and dwarves running around, or just bog standard humans? Do gods/a pantheon exist? I know you said we can have our imagination run wild but it would help to establish a feel.

4. I am squinting hardcore at the map trying to read it. Is it AI generated? It's fine if it is, I just don't know if those labels mean anything or are AI-made gobbledegook.

Also you might want to put in some guidelines for player conduct... I've seen it on a lot of other similar threads, and it doesn't hurt even if it seems obvious.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

JessAlias posted:

I'm intrigued because I'm a sucker for collaborative storytelling.

1. What are the expectations with participation? None, once a week, something else?

2. I notice having a vehicle seems to be a key mechanic with Starforged (the starship, etc). Does that mean all characters will have a ship of some kind?

3. Define "fantasy." Is it high fantasy, or low fantasy? Elves and dwarves running around, or just bog standard humans? Do gods/a pantheon exist? I know you said we can have our imagination run wild but it would help to establish a feel.

4. I am squinting hardcore at the map trying to read it. Is it AI generated? It's fine if it is, I just don't know if those labels mean anything or are AI-made gobbledegook.

Also you might want to put in some guidelines for player conduct... I've seen it on a lot of other similar threads, and it doesn't hurt even if it seems obvious.

1. Since this game is non-competitive and everyone is separated I could see multiple different paces being present and thus have no requirement for pace. I'm afraid I'm most likely to be the limiting factor but I hope to get at least one update in a week (or to give notice if I will be away for a week or more) but I hope I can update more frequently if others are matching my pace.

2. To be honest I'm expecting no ships/vehicles and for people to be oriented around whatever their setting is. However it could be a possibility for someone if they wanted? Honestly I've just never interacted with that part of the rule set before.

3. I'm imagining High Fantasy as the baseline but I thought if someone wanted a low fantasy area then they could handwave why magic doesn't work their somehow.

4. 'tis AI generated and so don't worry about labeling and such (I don't even think the grid is uniformly perfect). I just wanted it to spit out something to use as a jumping off point. Might use it for other pics and stuff because I find myself enjoying seeing visuals to match the story.

5. (Player conduct)I expected that was somewhat covered by the bits here and there regarding scope, collaboration, heroic tone but maybe you're right and it could do with explicit rules? If you have a recommendation of a thread I could learn from then I'm happy to take a look.

Edit: Also, thank you for your interest!

Apocron fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Apr 27, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Apocron posted:

1. Since this game is non-competitive and everyone is separated I could see multiple different paces being present and thus have no requirement for pace. I'm afraid I'm most likely to be the limiting factor but I hope to get at least one update in a week (or to give notice if I will be away for a week or more) but I hope I can update more frequently if others are matching my pace.

2. To be honest I'm expecting no ships/vehicles and for people to be oriented around whatever their setting is. However it could be a possibility for someone if they wanted? Honestly I've just never interacted with that part of the rule set before.
Makes sense. I think someone could want to play a traveling merchant or a (good aligned) privateer. Really, that someone might be me...

Apocron posted:

3. I'm imagining High Fantasy as the baseline but I thought if someone wanted a low fantasy area then they could handwave why magic doesn't work their somehow.
Do you have any objections about dwarves doing dwarf things with gunpowder and Renaissance era style tech stuff (think da Vinci) in a fantasy setting? Like dwarven blunderbusses and clockwork. NOT steam engines. They'd also do more traditional fantasy dwarf things stuff like forging magic rings and making enchanted armor of course.

Apocron posted:

4. 'tis AI generated and so don't worry about labeling and such (I don't even think the grid is uniformly perfect). I just wanted it to spit out something to use as a jumping off point. Might use it for other pics and stuff because I find myself enjoying seeing visuals to match the story.
I have no problem about it, just didn't know if I should be pulling out a magnifying glass or not.

Apocron posted:

5. (Player conduct)I expected that was somewhat covered by the bits here and there regarding scope, collaboration, heroic tone but maybe you're right and it could do with explicit rules? If you have a recommendation of a thread I could learn from then I'm happy to take a look.

I don't think you need a gigantic handbook of what is allowed and not allowed. But there's a lot of threads that have some suggested rules about playing nice, not doing stuff that would get you banned, etc. Here's one: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4056769 Basically... your guidelines do talk about the setting, and what we're doing in a general sense. But there's not much saying like... what are we allowed to do with PvP? I know we're generally supposed to be heroes, but I could roll up a character who's a Robin Hood style person and start madly stealing other people's stuff to give to the poor. That may/may not be fun for others. Guidelines like these can help people figure out if they want to participate.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
3. Sure, that’s great! Honestly I want to be as permissive as possible. To the extent where two players different concepts don’t even feel like they would fit in the same world but somehow we make it work.

5. PvP would need complete agreement between players beforehand. So if someone wanted to interact in what might be competitive or detrimental to another party they would have to agree on the stakes of the conflict and if someone doesn’t want to be involved in PvP then I’d say they don’t have to. There’s enough room in the sandbox for both PvP and PvE to coexist and I hope the limitation of scope means that if players are in different cities then one city won’t invade another in principle.

Spacebanito
Dec 4, 2009

Die thou unsung.
I'm definitely interested, though I have a couple questions of my own. Firstly, is there a non-forum method folks can expect to be able to use to communicate to sort out things that don't need to gum up the actual playing space? Secondly, this is clearly quite collaborative a venture amongst players and characters who, in some ways, may wind up competing or working together, but how much pre-game discussion should take place as far as each player and character filling different niches? Specifically, my knee-jerk thought is for a Privateer captain, but if five out of six players opt for that without communicating before-hand, things have the strong potential to get un-fun fast.

Edited in third question: will Vows and other setting-specific mechanics like that from Ironsworn still be applied as per the rule book?

Spacebanito fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Apr 29, 2024

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Considering there’s only two people expressing interest so far, I hadn’t set my ambitions so high as to imagine people would struggle to find space for their niche. Having said that, I had expected zero people interested in privateering and now we have two. If there’s a third then maybe we just need to find a system that manages that well and run a more campaign game rather than a sandbox. However, I also thought that the world is big enough for more than one of a particular archetype so I wasn’t really considering any need for niche protection. Just allow the geography to protect niches.

As for communication, if we reach enough players interested for escape velocity we can throw up a discord but I don’t want to get ahead of myself.

I kind of see the vow as falling under the more generic term of quest that I floated in character creation. I’m happy to include or exclude rules as necessary (as I stated in another post I had thought that I wouldn’t need to bother with the vehicle rules).

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I think I'll leave this up for a week (until May 6th) and if we can get at least 4 people then I'll try and run it.

I don't have an upper limit in mind but if it gets too crowded then maybe we would need to use a bigger map or perhaps people could share space.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Apocron posted:

Considering there’s only two people expressing interest so far, I hadn’t set my ambitions so high as to imagine people would struggle to find space for their niche. Having said that, I had expected zero people interested in privateering and now we have two. If there’s a third then maybe we just need to find a system that manages that well and run a more campaign game rather than a sandbox. However, I also thought that the world is big enough for more than one of a particular archetype so I wasn’t really considering any need for niche protection. Just allow the geography to protect niches.

As for communication, if we reach enough players interested for escape velocity we can throw up a discord but I don’t want to get ahead of myself.

I kind of see the vow as falling under the more generic term of quest that I floated in character creation. I’m happy to include or exclude rules as necessary (as I stated in another post I had thought that I wouldn’t need to bother with the vehicle rules).

If someone else wants to be a privateer I'm going to play a dwarfy dwarf. I mostly brought it up as an interesting way to leverage the vehicle mechanic, but it's not some intense desire.

Apocron posted:

I think I'll leave this up for a week (until May 6th) and if we can get at least 4 people then I'll try and run it.

I don't have an upper limit in mind but if it gets too crowded then maybe we would need to use a bigger map or perhaps people could share space.

I think that makes sense. Since this is freeform it may be slower to recruit people than something more structured. I'm going to wait to roll up a character until we actually are confirmed to move ahead.

Also you may want to post this in the recruitment thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654812

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

JessAlias posted:

Also you may want to post this in the recruitment thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654812

Alright, I think I felt somewhat hesitant to do this because of other dead games on my conscience but if I want to give this a real try then I should give it another shot.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
I'm not fully clear on how this works, but I do like cooperative storytelling and have played (and ran) pbp before, so count me in.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

That warm and fuzzy feeling.
Interest post. I'm getting a science fantasy vibe ala people are walking around with swords and sandals and sometimes there's this crashed spaceship in the background no one comments on.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Well that's the technically the base number of people that I said I'd be happy to try and run this for!

Shellception posted:

I'm not fully clear on how this works, but I do like cooperative storytelling and have played (and ran) pbp before, so count me in.

It's very freeform right now, really it's about what story you want to explore. You can kind of think of me as a personal DM. I'm happy to run everyone's stories independent of each other or to allow people to try work together. The only restrictions I've placed on it is that the fantasy genre is probably the thing that loosely connects whatever threads people weave into the world. I'm not sure how we justify the potentially contradictory lore that individuals cook up, or maybe we don't need to justify it. It's unintentional but perhaps the manga Versus by One might be an inspiration to some extent since I've been enjoying that lately.

I also felt that PbP isn't so common these days, so rather than come in with a focused pitch with a specific setting or rules I would try and cast the widest net for whoever might still be around and interested in the format.

Ronwayne posted:

Interest post. I'm getting a science fantasy vibe ala people are walking around with swords and sandals and sometimes there's this crashed spaceship in the background no one comments on.

Perfectly possible that there could be a crashed spaceship somewhere! It's got a venerable DnD fantasy lineage.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
With that said people can begin to claim spots on the map and maybe some thoughts about what is on those spots. Then I might try and generate some icons or put some names on this map that aren't gobbledygook.

Let's bounce some ideas around!

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
I'm also interested in this but I'll be out of the country next week so may not be able to post right away.

1. Are there any restrictions on Asset choices or is and Ironsworn, Starforged, Sundered Isles fair game?

2. Will we be doing any kind of World Workbook questionnaire?

3. Is it possible to get a better map? I hate the AI maps that don't make sense geographically.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
1. I mentioned it in the first post but we’ll be doing roles for this so choose 3 defining characteristics rather than assets from the actual systems. I wanted to keep the system light to allow flexibility since people’s settings could be vastly different. However, if there’s something you like from the assets we could potentially work it in at a later date (I kind of imagining roles developing if players gain experience and upgrade them).

2. You mean like world truths? I’m not sure if worldbook questionnaire is something from Ironsworn or another system. But in short, if it means deciding overarching principles for the general setting, then the answer is no. One person can have a spaceship crash in their section, another could have low fantasy humans in their section, another person could have high magic wizard politics in there’s. Unless there’s consent then then there is no obligation that their parts of the setting ever meet.

3. If you’re not into AI in general then you may not vibe with the game because I will be using those tools to help me visualize and draft stuff. If it is simply the map bothering you, then what about it doesn’t geographically make sense? I’m not opposed to changing the map, but I kinda liked this one, even the way it’s not a typical Birds Eye view (I even thought it might be interesting if someone chose a sky section).

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Sounds like the game isnt for me. Have fun/

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

I'd be willing to try to take the map as a baseline and at least make it a little easier to manipulate/add labels to by porting it to Worldographer or something like that.

...if anyone wants that. I'm not going to up and do that if it wouldn't help anyone but little old me.

Apocron posted:

2. You mean like world truths? I’m not sure if worldbook questionnaire is something from Ironsworn or another system. But in short, if it means deciding overarching principles for the general setting, then the answer is no. One person can have a spaceship crash in their section, another could have low fantasy humans in their section, another person could have high magic wizard politics in there’s. Unless there’s consent then then there is no obligation that their parts of the setting ever meet.

Would anyone be opposed to at least setting some kind of ground rules or something? This isn't just to you, but an open question.

I ask because on the one hand it can be cool to have a crashed spaceship on the same planet as high magic wizard politics, things break down like... if we have two conflicting magic systems. In my head, that starts making it where the laws of physics are just different depending on where you are.

Alternatively we could make a justification for that. This could always be a weird patchwork world that was quilted together after a cataclysmic event. I literally built a setting once where that was the whole backstory.

Or this could be something that only bothers me. :dumb:

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005

LongDarkNight posted:

Sounds like the game isnt for me. Have fun/

Thanks for your interest!

JessAlias posted:

I'd be willing to try to take the map as a baseline and at least make it a little easier to manipulate/add labels to by porting it to Worldographer or something like that.

...if anyone wants that. I'm not going to up and do that if it wouldn't help anyone but little old me.

Currently I have the map on a google slide and was going to frankenstein on labels and icons as people made their suggestions.

quote:

Would anyone be opposed to at least setting some kind of ground rules or something? This isn't just to you, but an open question.

I ask because on the one hand it can be cool to have a crashed spaceship on the same planet as high magic wizard politics, things break down like... if we have two conflicting magic systems. In my head, that starts making it where the laws of physics are just different depending on where you are.

Alternatively we could make a justification for that. This could always be a weird patchwork world that was quilted together after a cataclysmic event. I literally built a setting once where that was the whole backstory.

Or this could be something that only bothers me. :dumb:

Perhaps we let people just suggest anything they're interested in playing and then retroactively justify what kind of world could allow them to coexist?

We're still uncertain of the degree of similarity between different people's concepts, it could be everyone wants to play in a Tolkienesque setting and so there isn't much need for a particularly wacky backstory to the world, or if it's truly weird like one player is playing vampire noble intrigue, another person an isekai with game elements, another playing cosmic horror dark fantasy, and someone else playing a cosy town builder, then if there is crossover we might need to cook something up.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I think the issue is a completely blank canvas might turn people off since if the opportunities are limitless, there's also limitless choice paralysis. Putting down 2 or 3 vague posits about the world might help, with each player adding their own or modifying one of the core ones. It helps for a canvas to have boundaries so people know what area to paint in, so to speak.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 07:17 on May 1, 2024

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
If players want shared boundaries then that is perfectly within the scope of the game. Say Ronwayne and JessAlias wish to collaborate (as it sounds like you do)then please go ahead and suggest some ground rules for each other. Spacebanito and Shellception can also decide to colloborate on those with you or if they prefer defining their own rules then they can exist in some other part of the setting.

Or if what you're saying is you'd like me to define some setting rules for you to riff off then I can do that.

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

The latter, yeah. Just some vauge true-isms so we can work that into our individual story hooks.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

"I'm made up of the memories of my parents and my grandparents, all my ancestors. They're in the way I look, in the colour of my hair. And I'm made up of everyone I've ever met who's changed the way I think"
I prefer collaborating to solo player, if that means we share worldbuilding rules I'm all up for it.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Ok, well it’s good that Ironsworn provides a framework for world building so let’s use that but I’ll create custom options more suiting a fantasy setting:

quote:

]THE OLD WORLD

1: The Legacy of the Arcluminari
In the earliest days, the first mortals to channel the raw essence of magic were known as the Arcluminari. They discovered the spectrum of magical colors, which they wove into the fabric of reality, crafting a world imbued with living magic that persists to this day. The exact nature of these colors remains a topic of discovery and debate among modern mages.

2: Echoes of the Machinists
Before the age of kingdoms, a civilization known as the Machinists mastered the art of blending mystic energies with mechanical ingenuity, embedding powerful runes into their creations. Their cities were marvels of technology, thriving on this synergy. However, their hubris led to their downfall, leaving behind ruins filled with rune-infused relics that continue to influence the course of history, warping both the environments and living creatures around them.

3: The Divine Concordat
In ancient times, a great war among the gods led to the diffusion of their powers into the mortal realm, embedding the essence of divine beings into all aspects of the world. Mortals formed profound connections with the spirits inhabiting everything from the mundane to the divine. These spirits, ranging from the essence of natural elements to abstract concepts like wisdom or courage, are bound through personal pacts. These relationships empower individuals in various ways, shaping their abilities and destinies according to the nature of their bonded spirit.

How’s that? If people are happy I can work on creating options for the next truth after we agree on this truth.

Apocron fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 1, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Apocron posted:

Ok, well it’s good that Ironsworn provides a framework for world building so let’s use that but I’ll create custom options more suiting a fantasy setting:

How’s that? If people are happy I can work on creating options for the next truth after we agree on this truth.

+1 Very Yes for Echoes of the Machinists, it already gives me ideas.

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 3, 2024

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
OK, I guess we'll go with simple majority for now so if two more players vote for that I'll continue. If we end up with 2 for one and 2 for another perhaps we go amalgam. If it's 2v1v1 then perhaps I'll roll to see which we go with.

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

I like the Concordat but have nothing against Machinists.

Spacebanito
Dec 4, 2009

Die thou unsung.
I definitely dig the Machinists, and think that my Privateer idea begins to grow, barnacle like, onto that thought

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
If Ronwayne is also pro Concordat then perhaps we do an amalgam? Like God war disperses magic and spirits and the machinists harness the powers with the science of runes?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

I'm okay with that, more detailed character sheet will be up tonight.

ed: or sometime today, ugh.

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 15:13 on May 4, 2024

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

Lumi Anjasdottir

"If a cat can leave a corpse as a present I don't see why I can't leave what's left of your salvage camp with you, especially the mercury shrapnel. Take the hint, you guilder gently caress."

It had all started with an entirely reasonable plan to secure immortality and eternal youth alongside mastery of the cosmos and steadily degraded into caring for the local peasantry, mediating disputes, and becoming, ew, a respectable public figure. The downside to succeeding at her goal was an overdeveloped sense of empathy that caused psychosomatic physical pain when you understood you had hurt people. This was not the usual faustian bargain. Many things the ancients did had annoying twists on conventional wisdom.

She had never liked the term 'bog hag', 'Reclaimator' sounded nicer. Skulking out in the old stellar boneyard, Lumi made an immediate name for herself by clearing out the various nasties inhabiting the old frigate and turning it into her lair, where she conducted her craft and occasionally even aided people asking for help.. Despite the many wonders to be found within, there were a few setbacks. Experiments are not always successful; she no longer went into the always-warm room covered with yellow and black runes and she certainly didn't add the glowy stuff within to the soil, food, medicine, and so forth anymore.

Myth had it the mechanists either came from, or tried to return to, the great black void above the sky. The larger of these great mechanical corpses was still visible at night, blocking the path of planets and stars whenever their orbit intersected the view from the grounds. Occasionally one of these objects returned to earth, on a trajectory that most often landed them within a certain radius of an overgrown swamp. An entire culture of small time scavengers, hustlers, and small time traders have made a living for generations picking over the easier, older wrecks. The newer ones, fresh from the sky held the most promise, and the most danger. Its all fun and games until a door sealed for untold centuries opens up and the things inside want to have words with the burglars busting in.

Things were made worse, as always, when people with actual money took notice, and assorted trade guilds enforcing their rule and their prices via the usual combination of outsider mercenaries, forced labor, artificial scarcity and outright murder. After the flesh-eating micro-homunculi she had summoned has finished liquidating the guilder goons attempting to toss her out of her shack, and taking a few minutes to recover form the agonizing psychic feedback, Lumi realized this would not stop until they were completely toppled.

Internecine guerilla war powered by poorly understood weaponized precursor technology is always 'fun', especially when she figured out instantaneous death did not trigger residual remorse-pain-feedback and several large thermo-mantic explosions later, the moneymen have started to deem the venture unprofitable, but they remain in force, and steadily more dangerous shells keep falling from the sky with increasing intensity, as if an old orbital circuit has finally decayed all at once. If she wants to live a life of self aggrandizing power and luxury she's going to have to help others.

Stats

Edge: 2
Heart: 2
Iron: 1
Shadow: 1
Wits: 3
--
Health +5

Momentum: Current/Max/Reset: 2/10 +2

Vows:
Fully exploit the mechanical remainder for the common good
Exterminate remaining guilder presence and secure the area.

Bonds: TBD

Roles:

Techno-Shaman

Guerilla Leader

Quasi-mortal
-----------------
Need to fill out role specifics, let me know if this is roughtly what you wanted, GM

Ronwayne fucked around with this message at 07:56 on May 5, 2024

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Thank you for submitting a character. On holiday for the next couple of days so will give feedback when I can properly read what you wrote.

One thing though, I was planning on running through more world building options (I think there’s 10 in the Ironsworn rulebook). Is what I provided enough for people to cook up their characters or did people want to continue the world building stage a bit longer?

Ronwayne
Nov 20, 2007

This is just me but I find getting momentum going (similar to the game but for the playgroup OOC too) is crucial. Back and forth at intervals during the chargen process might result in some interest dying. PbP is an awkward medium, a discord server with assorted RP channels might work for an elaborate world building thing. Again, just my perspective.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
What does everyone think?

Spacebanito
Dec 4, 2009

Die thou unsung.
I wouldn't argue with a bit more world building, but I also could build something from what we have if pressed

Shellception
Oct 12, 2016

Worldbuilding is good yea, it helps put things in perspective. I have an idea but I'm seeing how it fits in the margins.

Also seconding Discord for organization.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Ok, I’ll try and collect the rest of the options into one or two posts rather than doing them one by one.

I’m hesitant to use Discord because I feel pressured to provide more constant attention/updates and notifications and chat etc mean that it takes up more of my head space than I’d like. For now I’d like to keep it on the forums to help me keep a bit of distance. If you have something you want to communicate :justpost:

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Apocron posted:

Ok, I’ll try and collect the rest of the options into one or two posts rather than doing them one by one.

I’m hesitant to use Discord because I feel pressured to provide more constant attention/updates and notifications and chat etc mean that it takes up more of my head space than I’d like. For now I’d like to keep it on the forums to help me keep a bit of distance. If you have something you want to communicate :justpost:

Considering we are collaboratively building a campaign setting, in essence, rather than just rolling up characters and flinging them at one another, there's going to be a LOT of lead time if we do everything by forum post. Of course, it also depends on how decentralized things are.

I'll give an example. Let's say (for the sake of argument) I am creating a low level privateer who lives in A City of Pirates. Let's call it Fantasy Tortuga. Spacebanito also creates a privateer character, and puts that privateer in Fantasy Tortuga. The two privateers end up befriending each other.

To make things dynamic, my privateer has a mortal enemy/rival, Captain Evil who also comes from Fantasy Tortuga. Would we be free to have Captain Evil also decide that Spacebanito's privateer is his enemy too, and then fill in the details of Captain Evil via discord, or are you controlling that as the GM?

Like Captain Evil initially has a fleet of 5 Evil Frigates and is a very important pirate lord, but Spacebanito decides to add in that Captain Evil has used his ill-gotten gains to build an illegal muskrat breeding ranch on Spacebanito's privateer's ancestral estate.

Also what if both Spacebanito and I wanted to have Captain Evil attack both our characters to create something to struggle against, would that be OK? Or would you be the sole arbiter of events happening for each player and then we respond to them?

Sorry if I'm asking a lot of questions! It's just that if things are more decentralized then theoretically we could at least chat on a single discord (that everyone can see) without you having to referee things intensely.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
Two things: first, I don't want to speculate on what problems may arise down the road and would prefer to take a "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it" approach. I do think we'll need/use a discord but for now I prefer to keep things in thread. When someone has an explicit need to interact with another player (whicxh could be sooner rather than later) then we'll create the Discord.

Secondly, regarding the extent to which you guys are able to dictate the narrative, my hope is to keep that as close to 100% as possible, barring the limits I outlined in the OP and what I feel comfortable with as DM.

There's a PbtA system called "Fellowship" which has a mechanic called Command Lore. In Fellowship, players choose a playbook with an archetype like elf, halfling, dwarf, or orc. Part of their role as players is to define the backgrounds and cultures of their races. This can be spontaneous, like when you're a halfling sitting down for dinner with your party, and someone passes you a fork. The player may spontaneously say, "Sorry, halflings only use spoons for eating." Now this has become an established part of lore for the setting. Will it have a further effect on the campaign? Maybe not, or maybe we begin to explore the question. How do halflings eat things that need to be cut with their spoons? Do they have sharpened spoons? Does their aversion to knives also mean they have an aversion to swords? Perhaps instead of swords, halflings use oversized sharpened spoons? Perhaps this spirals onward to the final magical macguffin needed to take down the Overlord (the term for the BBEG in Fellowship) in an enchanted magical serrated greatspoon?

All this to say, when you're inventing characters, settings, NPCs, villains, you will be commanding lore on your creations. So in your example, if you came up with Captain Evil, then they are yours to command lore on. If Space Banito wanted to know more about them or add/change them, they would look to you and not me for that.

In the end, I reserve the right to say no as the ultimate arbiter of the game world. But my goal is to keep 'no's to a minimum and allow you all to define the world around you.

Onto World Building:

quote:

The Legacy of Divine Machinism
Following the cataclysmic war among the gods, the world was suffused with scattered divine essence, embedding the raw power of deities into the fabric of reality. This diffusion of celestial energy transformed the environment, giving rise to phenomena such as whispering winds that carried the secrets of the gods and rivers that flowed with the liquid essence of divine will.

Amidst this new world of potent magic and divine remnants, a civilization known as the Machinists rose to prominence. These ingenious individuals discovered the art of rune-crafting, a discipline that blended mechanical innovation with the newly available mystic energies. They built cities where the streets hummed with energy drawn from the divine essence, and where rune-etched machineries harnessed and manipulated these spiritual forces for both creation and destruction.

The Machinists developed technologies that interacted with the divine essences: artifacts that could communicate with the embedded spirits, engines powered by raw celestial energy, and golems animated by the wills of minor deities. Their greatest achievement was the creation of the Arcanographs, massive rune complexes capable of interacting directly with the divine plane, drawing forth the energy needed to power their civilization.

However, the Machinists' ambition was their undoing. Their deep reliance on the divine energies led to instability. The Arcanographs, once stable conduits of power, began to malfunction, creating tears in the fabric of reality that led to calamities—wild magic storms, accidental summonings, and the warping of the living world around them. Their cities, once marvels of innovation, lay in ruins, filled with powerful but unstable artifacts that continue to affect the land and its creatures.

Now, the remnants of this civilization offer both boon and bane to the adventurers and settlers of this world. The ruins of the Machinists’ cities are treasure troves of rune-infused relics and mechanical wonders, guarded by rogue spirits and malfunctioning defenses left over from the era of divine machinism. The adventurers who brave these ruins find themselves dealing with the whims of bound spirits and the dangers of untamed magical energies, while scholars and mystics seek to understand and perhaps recreate some of the lost technologies of the Machinists, always wary of repeating the same hubris that led to their fall.

This setting combines the mythic with the mechanical, offering a rich tapestry of stories and conflicts driven by the legacy of gods and the ingenuity of mortals.

quote:

Runes
1. Runic Resurgence: Runes are common and the land is scattered with runic stones, remnants of the Machinists' era, pulsing with latent energy. These runes are sought after for their power to enhance machinery and magic alike.
2. Runebinders' Guild: An organization has risen, dedicated to studying and controlling the use of runes, balancing the fine line between innovation and catastrophe.
3. Lost Runic Archives: Deep in the wilds lie hidden archives of runic knowledge, said to contain blueprints of forgotten technologies and spells. These are coveted by those brave enough to delve into the unknown.

Legacies
1. Echoes of War: The landscape is scarred by the ancient divine war, with battlefields still emanating mystical energies that can alter reality. These sites attract historians, treasure hunters, and those seeking to tap into the raw power left behind.
2. The Machinists' Heirs: Descendants of the Machinists who survived their civilization's downfall continue to explore and preserve the remnants of their heritage, often clashing with others over the control and use of ancient technologies.
3. The Broken Gods: Fragments of defeated deities linger, their essence embedded in the world's fabric. These fragments occasionally manifest as semi-sentient entities, revered or feared by the populace.

Communities
1. Vault Dwellers: In the wake of ancient calamities, these communities took refuge in massive underground vaults. Over generations, they have developed self-contained societies, reliant on ancient technology and strict social codes to survive beneath the earth.
2. Spirit Harmonists: These communities live in deep symbiosis with the surrounding nature and spirits, blending natural magic with rudimentary technology to sustain their harmonious way of life. Buildings and machines are grown and powered by natural energies, coexisting seamlessly with the local environment.
3. Rune Temples: Dominated by Techno-Priests, these settlements are built around significant Machinist ruins. The Techno-Priests guide their people in spiritual and practical matters, harnessing the power of runes to protect and benefit their communities through rituals that blend mysticism with technology.

Leaders
1. Runebinders: Leaders who are skilled in the art of rune-binding wield significant power, often acting as both political and spiritual heads of their communities.
2. Techno-Priests: Some communities are led by Techno-Priests, who interpret the will of the divine through the machinations of ancient technology.
3. Warlords of the Wastes: In less civilized areas, powerful warlords claim dominion, using scavenged technology and brute force to maintain control.

Defense
1. Gearforged Militias: Local militias are outfitted with Machinist-derived technology, utilizing gear and devices that blend mechanical engineering with arcane energies. These militias are often the first line of defense against invaders and monstrous incursions, relying on their technologically advanced equipment to maintain safety.
2. Runic Guardians: These elite defenders are equipped with gear infused with ancient runes, granting them enhanced abilities and powers. They protect key locations and are revered for their mastery over rune-enhanced weaponry and armor. (kind of like mecha?)
3. Spirit Wardens: In these communities, spirits are invoked for protection and combat. Trained individuals, known as Wardens, form pacts with protective spirits, utilizing their powers to guard their settlements against both natural and supernatural threats. (Kind of like Type Moon/Fate servants?)

Mysticism
1. Runic Diviners: Mystics who specialize in interpreting the flows of magical energy through the landscape, often acting as advisors or seers.
2. Spirit Binders: Those rare individuals who can communicate with and bind the spirits of the land, using their powers to heal or hex.
3. Cults of the Arcane: Secret societies that delve into the forbidden aspects of rune magic and divine energies, seeking to unlock powers that many believe should remain hidden.

Religion
1. The New Pantheon: A reformed religious order that worships the diffused divine essences, believing them to be aspects of a new pantheon.
2. Cult of the Machine: Followers who venerate the Machinists' ancient technologies as divine constructs, performing rituals to awaken or appease them.
3. Ancestral Spirit Worship: Many communities honor the spirits of their ancestors, believed to be infused with divine energy from the ancient wars, seeking their guidance and protection.

Beasts
1. Mechanical Constructs: Beast-like constructs from the Machinists' era roam the wilds, some still following their ancient programming to guard, patrol, or hunt. These mechanical beasts often protect valuable ruins or serve as guardians for forgotten technologies.
2. Infused Predators: Natural creatures that have absorbed runic energies and divine essences, evolving into more formidable forms. These creatures are highly prized for their magical properties, but are dangerous and unpredictable.
3. Celestial Spawn: Rare and mysterious entities believed to be born from the residual energies of the god war. They appear during celestial events and are both feared and revered for their immense power and mystical origins.

Horrors
1. Echoes of the God War: Phantasmal echoes of the divine conflict that occasionally manifest in the world, causing chaos and destruction. These echoes are unpredictable, appearing as spectral armies or malevolent spirits that haunt the landscapes where the battles were fiercest.
2. Runic Anomalies: Areas where the rune-infused landscapes have become corrupted or unstable, spawning twisted horrors that defy natural laws. These anomalies are dangerous hotspots that adventurers either seek to contain or harness.
3. Divine Revenants: Spirits of evil fallen deities or their celestial servants that could not fully dissipate. Bound to the mortal realm, these revenants occasionally break through the veils, driven by fragmented memories and divine malice.

Some more food for thought. Feel free to pick out what you like and choose to ignore stuff you think irrelevant/uninteresting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Apocron posted:

Two things: first, I don't want to speculate on what problems may arise down the road and would prefer to take a "We'll cross that bridge when we come to it" approach. I do think we'll need/use a discord but for now I prefer to keep things in thread. When someone has an explicit need to interact with another player (whicxh could be sooner rather than later) then we'll create the Discord.

Secondly, regarding the extent to which you guys are able to dictate the narrative, my hope is to keep that as close to 100% as possible, barring the limits I outlined in the OP and what I feel comfortable with as DM.

There's a PbtA system called "Fellowship" which has a mechanic called Command Lore. In Fellowship, players choose a playbook with an archetype like elf, halfling, dwarf, or orc. Part of their role as players is to define the backgrounds and cultures of their races. This can be spontaneous, like when you're a halfling sitting down for dinner with your party, and someone passes you a fork. The player may spontaneously say, "Sorry, halflings only use spoons for eating." Now this has become an established part of lore for the setting. Will it have a further effect on the campaign? Maybe not, or maybe we begin to explore the question. How do halflings eat things that need to be cut with their spoons? Do they have sharpened spoons? Does their aversion to knives also mean they have an aversion to swords? Perhaps instead of swords, halflings use oversized sharpened spoons? Perhaps this spirals onward to the final magical macguffin needed to take down the Overlord (the term for the BBEG in Fellowship) in an enchanted magical serrated greatspoon?

All this to say, when you're inventing characters, settings, NPCs, villains, you will be commanding lore on your creations. So in your example, if you came up with Captain Evil, then they are yours to command lore on. If Space Banito wanted to know more about them or add/change them, they would look to you and not me for that.

In the end, I reserve the right to say no as the ultimate arbiter of the game world. But my goal is to keep 'no's to a minimum and allow you all to define the world around you.

OK, thanks .That helps give clarity.

quote:

Lots of setting stuff

Is this stuff we are riffing on to fill in the map, or just to make characters?

Or both, I'm guessing it's both.