Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Official website

Reverse 1999 is a PVE gacha based around turn-based rpg battles featuring cards. It has idler mechanics, in that character growth is going to take more materials than you can obtain without grinding/using the base to generate materials. It has an emphasis on story, light puzzle elements, and English voice acting.

I cannot emphasize enough how much the devs advertised the english VA in the advertising for this game, and it is the intended way to listen to the characters. Every line is voiced, even the little map side stories so far.

The game is available on ios, android, PC with its official app, and it works beautifully in Bluestacks.

Is it F2P playable?

Yes. Right now I would classify it as generous, even if I discard the launch goodies. It follows the Arknights style of daily and weekly gacha currency drops, alongside drops for content - and I think there's an annhilation equivalent later in the game, so you can get a fairly large boost of currency weekly. I'll edit this when I find out for sure.

The gacha is a Star Rail/Genshin Impact style where you are guaranteed a 6* every seventy rolls, with a 50% chance to get the rate-up character on limited banners, and if you lose the coin toss it's guaranteed for the next 6*, AND pity carries over - meaning you can plan around deploying your currency to target the 6* you want.

Note: it has standard gacha $$$ mechanics: pay 5$ for stamina and currency daily, pay 10$ for the battle pass that comes with a skin... none of this is necessary, especially now at the beginning when they keep giving you stamina items. Do not be tempted!

Story?

The elevator pitch: what if time stopped at 1999 and kept reversing in random fits and starts, and the only people who can do anything about this are mages, but they're in the middle of multiple conspiracies and it's a world where they're discriminated against? It's confusing - deliberately so - and in my humble opinion the first chapter does a poor job explaining anything.

My pitch: you are Vertin, a mage Doctor Who who has a magical briefcase that can shelter people from the reverse time warp storm. You are playing multiple factions against each other in your quest to find out what the hell is going on. Chapter 1 is you teaming up with Foundation mage Sonetto as you both work to rescue an idiot pirate DJ from the Manus Victae. Chapter 2 is Vertin deploying to the 1920s America to try and stop the Manus Victae from loving up everything. Chapter 3 is a weird flashback chapter that explains more of Vertin's past and looks at the fallout from Chapter 2.

The story is deliberately weird, has a rough translation (actually written by the Chinese dev team with their ESL skills and never proofread) and does that weird thing most gachas do where the first chapter is bad and then it suddenly gets good? I was legitimately sad at parts of Chapter 2, and I'm very interested to see where it's all going.

You're also going to listen to these weird ESL-y lines read by Chinese voice actors who don't understand what they're saying and have poor direction, so - honestly I think it contributes to the weird dreamlike atmosphere they're going for. Nothing makes sense, but you want these characters to survive and see the future.

Gameplay?

You draw cards on the bottom right, click on them to deploy for a turn, then everyone fights. The twist is that you have player spells, cards can merge into each other for combos, and if you build up enough "moxie" you can cast ultimates. There's more to it, but that's the basics!

I think it's a solid system, a nice mixture of skill and RNG, and I like how it really plays with debuffs and buffs. I'm excited to see how it iterates as the game goes on - but I'm also a bit worried it could run into a wall where it's not as interesting long-term. We'll see!

Characters are powered up in the Arknights style system:

- level up by feeding them EXP and money ("dust" = EXP, "sharpodonty" = money)
- at level cap, prestige them with money and various mats ("insight" = prestige level)
- repeat until max level/prestige cap

Dupes power up their skills and nothing else, so it's not as vital as Arknights.

Equipment is "Psychubes" and every character can equip one. Psychubes can be leveled up, and I think there's more to it but I haven't explored this yet.

Finally, there's "Resonance" which is a weird tiny puzzle game that boosts character stats. It's basically tetris inventory management, but the items are stat boosts.

Characters?

This is where the game shines! The character designs range from regular "anime person" to, uh

And then there's an upcoming 6* named Pickles!

So far not everyone in the crew relates to the story, but I'm hoping ala Arknights that will flesh out as we go. Each character has voiced lines, little story bits you can read about them, and so on. Standard gacha fare here: upon prestiging to high levels characters get new art, you can buy skins, and you can build bond/trust with them to unlock more story stuff.

I'm saving up for Pickles so I can put him on my home screen.

Guides

https://www.prydwen.gg/re1999/ <--- Prydwen basically got in there and put down all the guides you need. Tier list, explanations of terms, more.
https://www.youtube.com/@Eckogen/videos <--- Eckogen has some Reverse guides up.

Anything else?

Dunno yet! Have fun!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAZyj0b_JKY

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Thanks for making a thread! I’ll update this post later on with some spreadsheets that I’ve found with some of the more technical stuff related to the game.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy
Hooray! A thread!

Some more useful resources:
- Master spreadsheet that is used and updated by Prydwen people, I think? More details on lots of things
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e46cecjsIb1LO3Ybb6urlVUZKUk8R7yrgG9yXZS8-Ho/edit?usp=drivesdk

- Income/saving guide
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1X9fyml5ldU4fWd4ry1ckIp84J6arImz1m5KqHzmbhr8/edit?usp=drivesdk

- Chinese doc with farming information
https://www.kdocs.cn/l/cd5MWeCl5bKw

-Resonance formation ideas if you don't want to just click auto

Oh and active codes:
ENTERTHESHOW
1999GIFT
5YRBRF9

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
Despite my grievances with the poor translation, I actually think the setting is very unique and interesting, and the character and monster designs are quirky in a really good way. I super dig the art direction and I think the combat has just enough depth to be engaging while still being a pretty chill experience.

Also, they desperately need to let people borrow friends' units so that there's a reason to actually add friends.

AshtonDragon
Sep 5, 2011

This game is great, big fan so far.

Going in mostly blind, I knew I really wanted Regulus, and was lucky enough to get her off the beginner banner. And then from throwing rolls at the other banners, I got some early 6*s and won the 50/50 both times (and got a few copies of Bkornblume along the way), so I feel like I'm in a really good early place. From doing story and stuff, I've already saved up more than 60 more rolls, so it's just a matter of how long I can save them. Definitely want Pickles, but I don't think he's next?

Only concern right now is how long it takes to build characters up. I've got five characters at Insight II, and they're stalling out pretty hard around level 20. Only been playing for a week, though, so I'll reserve judgement for now.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

I think it's good for the game that the higher insights take a while. It feels like more of a reward when you get there and there's grind to do in between content drops.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
When do they let the dog out? I haven't made a single pull except the forced one because I'm only going to play if I get the dog.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mortimer Knag posted:

When do they let the dog out? I haven't made a single pull except the forced one because I'm only going to play if I get the dog.

Oh that's gonna be a long time -

"Event Duration: From 23/11/2023 to 07/12/2023."

https://www.prydwen.gg/re1999/

so you have 20 days to Pickles

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
So constance is the main character's mom right?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I would describe the setting as:

A) There's a magical Storm that is eating away at history one era at a time, except backwards, starting at 1999. When the future disappears, you end up in the past by default somehow.
B) There are two factions who are aware of this and have the means to weather it: the Foundation and Manus Vindictae. They kind of align with Law and Chaos in the SMT sense, but the important thing is that they are both assholes who care less about the world possibly ending and more about how they can benefit from it. Presumably by rewriting history as they please once it's been reversed far enough.
C) There's kind of an X-Men thing going on where some people are just born as arcanists, ie: wizards. The Foundation thinks they should be strictly registered and controlled while Manus Vindicatae thinks they should just murder all the normies and take over.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 2, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hi of centurion, sotheby, and Regulus who is worth investing in first?

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Meowywitch posted:

Probably all three. Centurion I hear is probably the best damage dealer in the game with no downsides. Regulus deals good damage too while offering some utility with her ult. Sotheby becomes a decent healer in late-game apparently.

ExtrudeAlongCurve
Oct 21, 2010

Lambert is my Homeboy

Meowywitch posted:

Centurion is supposed to be one of the best carries so I would pour everything into her.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Is it a trap to exchange clear orbs for bunnies to pull on banners? I've done that a few times already

Are clear orbs better saved for other things?

I'm f2p so I'm going to try to manage my resources well

HundredBears
Feb 14, 2012
If you aren't spending quite a bit of money on the game, buying pulls is likely the best and only thing that you should be doing with clear orbs, so no problems there.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Misread

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

StrixNebulosa posted:

The gacha is a Star Rail/Genshin Impact style where you are guaranteed a 6* every seven rolls, with a 50% chance to get the rate-up character on limited banners, and if you lose the coin toss it's guaranteed for the next 6*, AND pity carries over - meaning you can plan around deploying your currency to target the 6* you want.

I'm guessing this is meant to be every 70 rolls? As similar to those it doesn't seem to matter if you hold out for a 10x to get a guaranteed 4* or whatever.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Radio waves are everywhere. . . Everywhere...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

HundredBears posted:

If you aren't spending quite a bit of money on the game, buying pulls is likely the best and only thing that you should be doing with clear orbs, so no problems there.

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks for confirming

How do you unlock chapter 5? I finished 4 but nothing unlocked

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

When you click on your profile, you see your chosen three among other things. On this page there is a mention of collection. Does anyone know what this means?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TV Zombie posted:

When you click on your profile, you see your chosen three among other things. On this page there is a mention of collection. Does anyone know what this means?

I think it’s everyone you’ve pulled out of the possible pulls. Maybe.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
ReReReRegulus

LIMBO KING
May 3, 2006

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's kind of what I figured. Thanks for confirming

How do you unlock chapter 5? I finished 4 but nothing unlocked

Chapter 5 will be released in 1.4. :shobon:

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Is Sonetto powercrept by anyone coming out soon? Now that I burned through all my candy I need to be more particular about who I take to Insight 2.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

LIMBO KING posted:

Chapter 5 will be released in 1.4. :shobon:

Oh OK. I read on the wiki that there are 6 chapters but I guess that means the global version is behind. I guess that shouldn't surprise me but it also sucks :/

I guess I'll just keep leveling my main 3 characters and going through the somnambulas and doing hard mode missions

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

Ruby Prism posted:

Is Sonetto powercrept by anyone coming out soon? Now that I burned through all my candy I need to be more particular about who I take to Insight 2.

An-An is kinda Better Sonetto so technically she is already. I think Sonetto is probably worth some investment anyway, she’s got a good mix of buffing/control/aoe and you get her portrays for free so she’ll have that edge until we hit the point that we’ve pulled so much that we have most 5*s all duped up.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Sonnetto is a complete package that even if powercrept will still be a great support instead of dps.

You end up getting several dupes of her by progressing the achievements too, so for f2p only she's a great value.

Elements don't matter if you can just overwhelm the level recommendation but they will eventually so you're gonna want lower ranked crew to target elements, that plus a mix of reality and mental damage, plus all the synergies to powers so I don't think there's any bricked account stuff this early.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 2, 2023

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

pentyne posted:

Sonnetto is a complete package that even if powercrept will still be a great support instead of dps.

You end up getting several dupes of her by progressing the achievements too, so for f2p only she's a great value.

She will absolutely be on my team forever until I get mr pickles and then she will never be on my team again

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The game is only a week old. I don't think we have to be concerned about power creep just yet

Also Sonetto is the loading screen character and they probably wouldn't give us a free character that sucked after a few weeks

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

The game is only a week old. I don't think we have to be concerned about power creep just yet

Also Sonetto is the loading screen character and they probably wouldn't give us a free character that sucked after a few weeks

The game's been out in China for a while now. They're like four patches ahead of us.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Umm free characters can and will suck. And also will def. Be power crept . Just how it works

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Meowywitch posted:

Umm free characters can and will suck. And also will def. Be power crept . Just how it works

Yes I know but what I'm saying is that won't happen within a few weeks of release

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Meowywitch posted:

Depends on the game. In granblue fantasy there's a free character (Caim) who's probably the #1 strongest character in the game for his element. However it takes around a few hundred hours of grinding and many irl months to unlock him and upgrade him to 5-star.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
Stole this Windows rerolling .bat file from Reddit and it works

code:

reg delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\bluepoch\reverse1999en" /v "laucher_deviceid" /f

reg delete "HKCU\SOFTWARE\bluepoch\Reverse: 1999" /v "af_device_id_h3627262871" /f

del "%appdata%\..\LocalLow\bluepoch\Reverse_ 1999\Account-En\accounts.json"

The spaces in the paths are intentional, don't delete them. You have to have the game already running when you run it so I just did the first 10 summon after 1-4, ran the bat, quit to launcher, and restart. I was just going for any 6* in the first 10 in standard banner which turned out to be Centurion! Took about 25 tries

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

this is the best way you could've guaranteed me pickles game, thank you :v:

The Manticore
Aug 23, 2008

Did you mean to make that post, or were you just pushing keys at random?
https://youtu.be/Vcw-k2ioNqo?si=tKwDcUDyVEJknUxc

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Make sure to do the mini event that runs for the next 6 days.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
To be specific it's in the little box icon where the sign in events are located, it's not obvious at all and I only just learned it existed.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Aint no rule says a dog can't play football.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
just in case anyone doesn't know, pickles was a real dog

e: i wonder if pickle's owner is aware of the fact that people are going to bankrupt themselves rolling for his dog. i think that guy is still alive i can't find an obituary for him.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Nov 3, 2023