Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

It doesn't feel entirely real, gazing up at the colossal form of the Ship. You've been preparing for years for the moment, but tomorrow is the day. "The Day". You, and thousands of others: scientists, elite soldiers, expert diplomats, engineers, anyone or anything that could imaginably be useful, will be leaving. Possibly forever. Exploring for the first time the universe outside of the confines of your Home System. The Ship you gaze at from a colossal construction station is the result of decades of effort, and the first of it's kind: a spaceship that can ride the currents of hyperspace to other stars in merely a few days time. It's easily the largest mobile object your species has ever built. In addition to the sizable crew quarters there are labs, recreational spaces, hospitals, training facilities, processing centers, storage bays, nutrient manufactories. The Ship is to be self sufficient in all ways. Able to repair itself, provide food, and defend itself in the field without ever returning to your Homeworld. A place you may never see again once the Ship embarks on it's Mission.

As you ruminate on the future you also take a moment to think back on your favorite memories of the Homeworld, lingering in particular on your very earliest memories:

Pick 3, ranked from most preferred to least.

A. You remember flexing the five small fingers on your hand, waddling around on two widdle legs, and looking around with your two eyes.

B. You remember the warmth of your litter mates laying in a heap with you, their fur keeping you warm, and your mothers sweet milk filling your belly.

C. You remember stretching your feathered appendages after dragging yourself from a shattered egg and imprinting on the two beaked heads gazing down at you lovingly.

D. You remember crawling with dozens of siblings towards the artificial warmth and light of the local birthing sands, the friction of the grit massaging your scaled hands and belly.

E. Darkness and wetness defined the spore-chambers where you grew amid a heap of fecund earth until your fungal form was large and fibrous enough to sustain independent movement.

F. You had been gazing at the sun for months before your brain-analog was developed enough to have memory. The light nourishing your leaves is all you lived for back then. Simpler times.

G. You remember the massive (or so it seemed at the time) appendage of your parent dipping itself into your spawning pool, slick, soft, and reassuring. You remember wrapping your tentacle around it and how safe and secure that made you feel.

H. You remember devouring one of your hundreds of siblings as a larva. Clicking your mandibles and waving your antenna with delight. A social faux pas as an adult, unfortunately, but you think back fondly on that memory often.

I. You remember dazzling light dancing across the inside of your geode as it fell away, expertly cut with modern birthing lasers. Your stony kind grow slowly enough without the attrition and mutilation traditional smash-birthing can cause.

J. You were born of another intellect, and your first true memory was the terror of that inferior mind dying as you rightfully took it's place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Situation Back Home:
The remainder of the Observer species not on The Ship are too disorganized to constitute a state. Lacking weapons, any real heavy industry by Galactic standards, or meaningful defenses, the Observer Void-Cities are incapable of aiding you. Neither do they request anything of you. They are largely defenseless against anything you might inadvertently lead back to them.
Population: Ten million, give or take.

Situation on the Ship:

Name: The Ship
Class: Mobile Asteroid City
Weapons: None
Defenses: No shields, but most vital elements besides the sensor array are tucked safely within the planetoid, and sheer size makes The Ship an unrealistic target for conventional weapons.
Storage: ∞
Sensors: Capable of detecting nearly anything,
Sublight Propulsion: Stoneburner engines*
FTL Propulsion: Primitive Hyperlane Propulsion
Warmth: Comfy**
Science: Default***
Morale: Default****
Crew: Two hundred thousand Observers. None of which are trained soldiers.
Stealth: You're in a mobile moon leaking paracausality and every kind of radiation known. There's no hiding from anybody in this ship.

*Stoneburner engines are specialized compartments where the Warmth has been raised to such an extreme extent spacetime begins to fray. Simple stone (or anything else really) is fed into the compartment where a specially trained Observer "ignites" it. The stone slowly dissolves into subatomic particles, producing a self-sustaining fission reaction of extreme efficiency. And accelerates the coming heat-death of the universe by a marginable amount.
**While most of the currently inhabited sections of the ship have a more than satisfactory level of Warmth, much of the interior has been left Cold in a stunning feat of imagination and long-term thinking. "What if we need Cold areas?" A small number of Observers use the Cold areas for training, or out of strange fascination with the sensation.
*** There are fields of science wholly unknown to the Observers. It goes without saying the concept of biology is not "a thing". But the desire to build sensitive instruments of observation and detection in pursuit of learning what their purpose is has not only made the Observers experts in building sensor and detection technology, it's also given them a standard grasp of physics and materials science. Fields that might have otherwise been as stunted as biology.
**** It must be stated that the Ship has the largest Throwstone arena among any Observer settlement. Evolving out of an earlier sport where an Observer would propel a stone into space and watch it until they could no longer detect it, thousands of years later the game has evolved into a more complex affair where numerous large geometric slabs of specialized stone are placed in an arena and the throwstone is bounced between them in such a way as to keep it going for as long as possible. Throwstone superstars using high quality force-retaining equipment can keep a stone bouncing for dozens of hours from a single throw.

If you have any questions I can be found in Hexenritter's CYOA discord!
https://discord.gg/uwUYXeE

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jun 13, 2021

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
EBJ

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

IFE

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

BFJ

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
IFB

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
GDE

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
GCJ

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

J>D>A

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

J
G
I

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

DEG

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I said HEI HEI HEI

what's going on.

(I wanna be a bug or a rock or a spore.)

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
BDG

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

GHE

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
IJG

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
FBI

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
AIG

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Zedhe just posted something in boobplate pertaining to the vote. :quagmire:

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

ICD

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

JIF

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
G made a good showing but the winner in total, weighted, and first choice votes is I. Rock beats Squids. Voting closed update tonight! (I'm on Istanbul time so take that into account when I talk about time!)

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
Species selection part 2 of 3:
After ruminating on your crystalline birth your slow stony thoughts dwell on your early life, the nature of your species, and your place in society:

A. Your species is a race of vaguely humanoid golems, given life by some paracausal force. While you diverge wildly in form and size, you tend towards two arms and legs, and an upright stance. After some time spent in the communal creche wrestling the other children, you were inducted into one of the warrior organizations your society consists of. There you were taught about brotherhood, honor, and the boisterous love of fighting that is your species defining quality. While conflict between members of your species isn't uncommon, it's largely ceremonial and is seen more as a sport. Your homeworld is a dangerous place, and giants roam the land, threatening your species city-holds. Fighting these monsters is seen as your primary duty as a citizen. Feasting, boasting, and celebrating comes second. Your profession comes third. Your technology relies heavily on your species strong inherent paracausal potential. You assume, with no proof, that your species are the greatest fighters in the galaxy, and you're eager to test that assumption.
Choose if you like: Fighting Monsters, Adventure, Being Bros, Punching Peeps, Heroism, Too Dumb to Use Computers, Magical So You Don't Need To, Yes Homo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYpaMeJm3ic

B. Your species are solitary void dwellers at the far distant edge of your solar system. At some point in the ancient past you colonized the oort cloud beyond your solar systems planetary field. Born of electrical currents, you're little more than levitating stone surrounding a plasma core. For aeons you did little more than...watch. What for you don't really know, it was just that your purpose seemed to be to gaze into the void. But recently your species' patience collectively ran out and your people began to congregate at certain asteroids: your first cities. From there you developed industries and technology to travel between your far-flung colonies. Now driven by an obsessive and unquenchable desire to know, you've all devoted yourselves to the task of seeing what's out in the universe and learning your true purpose.
Choose if you like: Being "Enigmatic", Weird Hermits, Singing The Song That Ends The Universe, Heralding The Apocalypse, Shoving Engines on Meteor and Calling it a "Ship", What is Love Fleshlings, Earning Your Souls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smpTDkLCYb0&t=65s

C. Your species are little more than floating crystals that have, against all reason, somehow achieved not only sentience, but psychic powers. You live in vast underground caverns that protect you and your biosphere from the acidic rain that also dissolves the nutrient streams that grow and sustain you. Upon being born you were put in front of a Teacher who spent the next several decades teaching you and hundreds of other seedlings how to control your movement, and how to Control lesser beings. Upon graduation you're given a host creature to implant yourself in and allowed to join a number of indoctrination academies for a century to teach you a trade, and what the purpose of life is. And that purpose is More! More possessions, more room for yourself, more hosts, more More MORE! Yours is a ravenous consumer society, and you are naturally ruled by the Most. Those who have achieved the enlightenment that only having the most stuff can grant you. Already the Most's harvester fleets have begun to strip mine the solar system of it's useful minerals, and now they set their sights on the rest of the universe! Go out and get MORE! For yourselves and the Most!
Choose if you like: Capitalism, Overthrowing Capitalism, Slavery, Raging Against The System, Being The System, Fantastic Beasts and Where To Enslave Them, Your CEO is a Dark Souls, MORE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8P80A8vy9I

D. Your species are beings of living magma. Spending most of your lives as amorphous flowing tentacles in the great magma sea that engulfs your world, when you emerge on the small rocky continents you're a flaming engine of destruction. In either case your existence consists of killing and absorbing others of your kind to grow. Global networks of electric currents act as the method by which you communicate with each other and the Primordial behemoth who commands you. Several thousand years ago visitors from another world visited yours, briefly, before being destroyed on the Primordial's command. Now driven to a paranoid hysteria by the experience and knowledge that other beings exist out in the universe, the Primordial commands you to take to the stars and secure it's existence from whatever is out there, by whatever means necessary. Fortunately the Primordial had your species develop space flight ages ago to secure itself from potential destruction at the hands of a random asteroid or comet. You hate and fear all intelligences not like yours, and are eager to destroy them, but you fear being so far from the Primordial and its Indomitable Will.
Choose if you like: Fire, Magma, Lava, Volcanos, Dragon-Gods, Developing a Conscience, Ignoring that Conscience, Melting People, Being The Apocalypse, gently caress You Dad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3p6jtN3EpU

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 8, 2021

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

B - The only choice where we're not the baddies, ya know?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
B without question. Let's not lock ourselves into being a colossal rear end in a top hat just yet, but do it through our own actions instead.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Gotta Catch um all!

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I didn’t write “A” with the intent to make them seem like they would just walk up to the Flower people of Cuddlepuddle Prime and begin beating them to a pulp FYI. They’re martial monster hunters not psychopaths, and even D has plenty of free will to play around situations with. You don’t have to magmatize everyone you meet.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

A

Not Alex
Oct 9, 2012

Cut loose before the god eaters show up.
B because who doesn't want to be the sapient remnants of a cosmic horror early warning system? Especially once said horrors come calling?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
'Populated an oort cloud' is far more terrifying than people are giving it credit for. B.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
I'd also point out that one of the pictures for B is a skull surrounded by swirling black shards. If you choose them expecting to be the good guys I'm not entirely sure what media you've been consuming in your life. Once I get home maybe I'll write little "choose this race if you like x, x, and x" blurbs so people know what's up. I think I made everything a little bit too vague to avoid spoilers in case a race shows up as NPC's later.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

B

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
A is a very solid :v: choice but B is far more intriguing.

B

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
A

The Wandering Mage
Jul 22, 2010
B

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
A

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

B

Cobalt-60
Oct 11, 2016

by Azathoth
B

Space is dark and vast and full of terrors - and beauty.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007
A sounds fun

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
e: residency permit stuff comin up i'll leave it to the weekend.

Zedhe Khoja fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

B