Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

The snow falls outside your window. The heater in your room runs but the cold remains. It's always there now, even on warm days. You look at the stuffed elephant your dad brought in yesterday. He had said he'd be here today, too, but he hadn't shown up. According to the nurse, the roads hadn't been safe to travel. You didn't think it a lie, the nurses hadn't changed at the usual time. Or maybe they had, and you had missed it. The painkillers have been making you less lucid lately...

You drift off for a moment. You aren't sure how long, but the ticking of the clock woke you. You dreamt of your mother. She had stopped visiting a few weeks ago, you thought. You knew she couldn't bear to see you, as you were. Fifteen years old and dying. Slowly, but surely. You pull your covers up but you're still so cold. You try to reach for the call button, to call a nurse to turn up the heat or to get rid of the damnable clock and its ticking, but your arms are weak. You try to yell for a nurse but all that comes out is a small gasp, almost imperceptible to your own ears.

The ticking of the clock counts down your last moments alive. You reflect on your brief life. On all that you hadn't done. People you hadn't met. Family you wouldn't see again. But you also remember the good. The warm embrace of your mother. Your father teaching you to fish. Playing basketball with friends. It had been a short life... but perhaps a good one. But you still wanted more.

How does our protagonist feel about her impending death? I do not plan to accept write-ins for this part, as it is part of character generation.

A. Resentful. She is young, only fifteen. She wishes to have had more time, to have been able to do and see more. She hates the cold, she hates the ticking of the clock. In her believed final moments, she strains to survive just that bit longer, and resolves to spit in the face of death when he comes.

B. Accepting. She is young, true, but she had a good life. She was loved by her family, she had friends to enjoy her life with. She remembers the warmth and the time she had fondly. She accepts death, resolved to pass with a smile on her face.

The snow continues to fall outside your window. The cold continues to creep in. The clock begins to wind down. However you feel about your death, it matters not. And then, as you release your last breath...

The clock stops ticking. The snow stops falling. The cold is gone. But there is no warmth. There is no sunshine. Time stands still. And before you stands you stands a strange creature. Like a small lion, only with pure white fur and crimson eyes. If you could stand, it would only come to your knee.

It does not open its mouth, yet you hear the words nonetheless.

Do you want to live?

Of course you want to live, you reply. Who wouldn't? You are young, you have much left to do, much left to experience.

Then take my contract, make a wish, become a mage, and live.

You do not even need to consider or question this. You will be making a wish. And you will live.

What is your wish?

A. You want to be strong, fast, athletic. You enjoyed sports, before your illness. But you are sure to be rusty, having spent so long in a hospital. You will be at the peak of human ability, and when transformed you will gain even greater power and skill beyond other mages. Magics that come easily to you involve coordination, feats of skill, and management of your own body. (Melee Bruiser option)

B. You wish to know. You always did well in school, but you were never the top of your class. With this, you will be at the limit of human intellect, learning and understanding things far more quickly. You can research magic more rapidly. When transformed you gain the ability to analyze your foes and your environment, exploiting weaknesses. You gain access to a broad array of magic types so long as you take the time to research. (You're a wizard, Harry!)

C. You wish to never die. You will not fear the specter of death, at least from age. Illness will not touch you. When injured, you will rapidly heal. When transformed, your regenerative abilities reach incredible levels and can even restore magic you have expended. Magic that come easily involve sacrifice, lifeforce, blood, and management of your own body. (Vampire option)

D. You wish to be loved. You will be exceptionally attractive and gain an understanding of people well beyond your peers. You find people simple to manipulate, both for good and ill. When transformed, you gain the ability to inspire allies and demoralize enemies. Magic that comes easily involves charm and aura effects. (Social and mental manipulation option)

E. You wish to help. You gain understanding of the struggles others face and how you can help shoulder their burden. When transformed, you gain powerful supportive abilities. Magic that comes easily involves healing and strengthening others. (Support option)

F. Write-in. Whatever wish you make, your body is restored regardless. Your wish determines aptitudes and boons you may gain early on. I'm trying to keep things somewhat balanced but our protagonist has a lot of magical potential, so some wacky stuff is possible. (Make your own option)

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

You live in a world of magic. Magic is, magic was, and magic always will be. Hidden from most, the secret power plays between mages, demons, angels, and all variety of supernatural beings have been ongoing since the first human looked to the stars and felt wonder.

You are a Mage. Mages are humans who have entered into a contract with some sort of minor supernatural being, called a Familiar.

Mages are versatile magic users, but almost all have a specialty, often built around the contract with their Familiar. Each Mage has a different contract, and upon contracting their magical potential is realized. Due to this, mages vary significantly in power, with some simply reaping benefits in mundane life while avoiding the supernatural, and others considered true heavyweights in the magical community.

To gain power, mages research magic and collect various reagents. Most reagents are harvested from defeated foes. Mages must harvest these materials regularly, in order to fulfill their contract.

Familiars use these reagents to strengthen the mage and themselves, growing in a symbiotic relationship. Familiars themselves have weak magical powers but a unique gift for crafting binding deals, as well as awakening magical potential.

Mages are capable of a powerful "transformed" state, wherein all capabilities are at minimum those of a peak human. Many will far exceed this. It is said that some especially powerful mages can destroy entire cities, when they go all out.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 07:44 on May 31, 2021

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Jessie Miller

Wish: To never die.

First Tier

Stats-

Offense-- 3
Defense-- 4
Speed-- 3
Magic-- 7 (ASCENSION REQUIRED)
Intellect-- 6

Skills-

Melee-- 1 (1/2 to progression)
Parry-- 1
Magic-- 1

Traits-

Undying--Jessie cannot die against any enemy not phenomenally stronger than her or wielding the conceptual element "death" and still significantly stronger than her.

Perfect Regeneration--Jessie restores any wounds she takes at and impossible speed. This has little impact on magical reserves.

Unending Stamina--Jessie rapidly regains mana she expends and does not physically tire.

Aversion to Death-- Jessie has an irrational hatred for all things connected to death. She gains bonuses when fighting certain enemies and may gain greater rewards when facing them.

Clearheaded Mage Eye-- Jessie possess a mutation in her eyes. It helps shield her from abilities that effect her mind. It also grants finer magic senses and the occasional ability to directly see magic. May be improved. (Roll 1d20 when relevant, on a 15 or better you are able to see magic)

Living Heart-- Jessie's life magic has taken a dominant role, sitting as the nexus point for all other affinities within her heart. Significantly increased regenerative abilities and gain the ability to externalize life magic in order to heal others.

Hatred of Mind Magic-- After being made to feel vulnerable and frightened, Jessie has an aversion and hatred to mind magic. She gains bonuses to defend against it and to research additional benefits. However, she cannot gain access to external mind magic of her own, and she will have a dislike of any practitioners of mind magic.

Elements:

Perfect Life Affinity
Greater Blood Affinity
Basic Time Affinity
Lesser Body Affinity

Animus Rod:

Your Animus Rod takes the form of a chainsword. Blood constantly drips from wicked serrations and its handguard takes the form of a golden hourglass. It has a transformed mode, wherein it becomes a chainsaw whip, extending a healthy length, ideal for combating groups of weaker foes. In your offhand, you wield a sawed-off shotgun, perfect for taking an enemy off guard or protecting your flank.

As your Animus Rod spills blood, you refill your mana reserves. So long as you hold your Animus Rod, you are untiring and are a bit faster and stronger. You sense there is more to be learned of your weapon...

Anima Garb:

Your Anima Garb consists of a dress in varying shades of crimson. Etched into the fabric are golden runes and, upon its front, is a tree reaching towards a bloody sky. Your Anima Garb resists attacks aimed at taking your life or draining your lifeforce.

SerSpook fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 4, 2021

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
BB

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

A
A

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
B
I wish that to always have the time I need. I left so much unfinished. (Speed/time magic)

If that's not on the table, B

Shinarato fucked around with this message at 07:29 on May 31, 2021

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
BB

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

AC

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Shinarato posted:

B
I wish that to always have the time I need. I left so much unfinished. (Speed/time magic)

It is totally on the table.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

SerSpook posted:

You live in a world of magic. Magic is, magic was, and magic always will be. Hidden from most, the secret power plays between mages, demons, angels, and all variety of supernatural beings have been ongoing since the first human looked to the stars and felt wonder.

You are a Mage. Mages are humans who have entered into a contract with some sort of minor supernatural being, called a Familiar.

Mages are versatile magic users, but almost all have a specialty, often built around the contract with their Familiar. Each Mage has a different contract, and upon contracting their magical potential is realized. Due to this, mages vary significantly in power, with some simply reaping benefits in mundane life while avoiding the supernatural, and others considered true heavyweights in the magical community.

To gain power, mages research magic and collect various reagents. Most reagents are harvested from defeated foes. Mages must harvest these materials regularly, in order to fulfill their contract.

Familiars use these reagents to strengthen the mage and themselves, growing in a symbiotic relationship. Familiars themselves have weak magical powers but a unique gift for crafting binding deals, as well as awakening magical potential.

Mages are capable of a powerful "transformed" state, wherein all capabilities are at minimum those of a peak human. Many will far exceed this. It is said that some especially powerful mages can destroy entire cities, when they go all out.

Put this in the second post. I will probably add to it as time goes on, basically a collection of supernatural beings, etc, as you come across them. Basically, collect various reagents from supernatural beings in order to grow stronger. Research magic to grow more versatile.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Shinarato posted:

B
This

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
A
F - I want to slaughter, to see those who moved against me, the very fates themselves to bow to my will, and accept my supremacy. I wish to hear the lamentation of the gods, and let them hear the wailing of their people as they slowly realize the mistake they made to try and slay me so early in life.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Shinarato posted:

B

This

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Shinarato posted:

B

This but 1A. We are going to LIVE, not just exist. We had a good life? We're 15! We've never had a proper kiss, drank a beer, gone to college, had our own place... we've never driven a car, and grownups fight wars over that!

Well our second chance is going to do it all.

And our transformation sequence will involve smashing that drat clock.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
AA max teenager jock

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Is C an actual vampire with all the weaknesses and benefits?

BC, for now

Toughy fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 31, 2021

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Toughy posted:

Is C an actual vampire with all the weaknesses and benefits?

BA, for now

No, C isn't actually a vampire. They do potentially have access to being empowered by blood and stuff though, and will have very rapid regeneration. C is very good if you plan on lots of combat, alongside A, though for different reasons. Ideally, A would not take damage, whereas C can just recover from it.

B approaches things very differently, though can perhaps be the most dangerous of them all.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

AC

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

AC

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
A, B

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Wait, this is Madoka, isn't it?

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

Wait, this is Madoka, isn't it?

It's definitely got some inspiration from it.

Anyway, vote for the first option is closed, A wins. The second option is tied between C and the Time Write-in. I will leave voting on the wish open until the morning.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

2. F, Time Mage

Gatto Grigio
Feb 9, 2020

A, C

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

You ducks have tied it again lol

Will flip a coin when I get home to decide it if nobody has broken it by then

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

AC!

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

alright vote called, AC wins

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

You take a moment to consider your answer to the strange creature. To your thoughts of a few moments prior. Your resentment at your early death, the things you wouldn't get to see or do. Of the people you would leave behind. Family you would never see again, friends you would miss. You think of all life has to offer, beyond the damnable cold and the ticking of a clock. A part of you wishes to wish for more time. Time enough to do everything you could ever ask for.

But another part of you has a different answer. Your body is sickly and decaying. Once it had been hale and hearty. You could wish to be that again, and even beyond. As great as the greatest of athletes.

But still, you want more. Not just more time. Not just a strong body.

You have seen death and you know what you want.

"I don't want to die. Not ever. Life has too much to offer. Make it so I can't die, whatever you are," you finally reply.

You lack the potential to truly never die, the strange voice replies. However, by joining with me you may come close. And through your own efforts, you may yet realize this wish. Still, tell me, Jessie Miller, is this truly what you wish? You cannot take your wish back.

You don't stop to consider your reply. "Yes. Make me as close to immortal as you can!"

Very well, Jessie Miller. Do not be alarmed.

And the strange lion approaches you on your bed.

It pounces upon you and you feel pain beyond imagining. Its claws rip out your eyes, its teeth rip out your throat. And yet, even as it tears at your, you see its teeth shatter, its claws fracture. The lion--the familiar a strange part of your mind names it--fashions for you new eyes and new arteries, from its very substance. Even as it does, it sups upon what you were, taking your eyes and blood to restore itself.

Somehow, after this strange turn of events, you know both yourself and your new familiar have become greater than you were. You open your eyes for the first time. You open your mind for the first time. You see the world for the first time. And you know the world for the first time.

And you have choices available to you. The terms enter your mind, emerging from a place that has always been, yet you have never known. Until now. You must, in this first instance of Awakening, fashion for yourself an Animus Rod to carry much of your power. A weapon to strike at your foes, for now you are a Mage, and now you have enemies.

CHOOSE YOUR WEAPON

1. A. My Animus Rod takes the form of a large, two handed blade.
B. No, it shall be a pair of curved swords.
C. The form my magic takes is that of a cane, concealed within is a thin sword.
D. I use magic, so I use a staff.
E. All shall tremble before the strength of my fists. Wicked gauntlets adorn my hands.
F. Raw potential. I with-hold my choice. My magic will respond as needed, in the moment, but shall be the weaker for it. However, all upgrades made to the Animus Rod will have a greater impact when you finally make your choice (essentially, take a malus in exchange for more rapid growth, until you set a form for your magic to chiefly take)
G. Write-in. Most weapons will work, since C was one of the more "martial" options in nature. However, more mystical or conceptual ideas may not work. No grimoire of spells or mirror that captures attacks. Simple and straightforward, in exchange for never having to worry about death.

However, it is not just the form of the magic that matters. It is the nature of it. You know that, as an undying being, you have already colored your magic. Yet it can take more. More, you think, than most newly contracted Mages.

CHOOSE YOUR ELEMENTS

You may choose two of the options. The two options with the most votes will be incorporated into your initial powerset alongside your wish.

2. A. Blood. You already carry much of this, through the nature of your wish, but you may always double down. Greater regenerative abilities and the power to exchange lifeforce for greater amounts of magical power. Lifeforce you will rapidly regain, due to your very nature.
B. Sword. Strike your enemies down. The most "offensive" element known to exist, concerned entirely with striking down your enemy, before they strike you.
C. Life. Bound within you is limitless life. Tap into this. The power to heal and, in time, perhaps even fashion servants of a sort.
D. Cold. The last weeks of your life were cold ones. You want to leave that behind but you cannot deny a power is there. The power to sap your enemies of the will to continue, to weaken them, before your final blow.
E. Time. It is always about time, fundamentally your wish came from a desire for more of it. Gain the ability to manipulate time on a small-scale in battle (haste and slow effects, etc), and interesting effects on projects and research you may embark upon
F. Body. To break the limits upon yourself, push yourself harder than should be possible. Another increase to regenerative abilities, base stats, and spells concerned with manipulating yours and others body in some fashion.
E. Write-in. Traditional elements are allowed (fire, water, etc) as well as more esoteric things. If something doesn't work, I'll try to let you know in a timely fashion.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

F - G Gunblade Because 15.

CE

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 1, 2021

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

G Write-In: A gun, I'm agnostic on what kind of gun specifically, I assume the specific type doesn't really matter too much since we're dealing with magic here. A shotgun might be neat I'll support a Gunblade since that's cooler than a chain sword
BE

let's be a bullet wizard with our magics focused heavily towards offensive use

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Jun 2, 2021

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

To bring some discord stuff into here:

Yes, sword is conceptual as an element. It is the element of "gently caress that poo poo, I'm gonna gently caress its poo poo up" though not necessarily kill it (that would be death as an element).

Guns are fine, I'd prefer something like a shotgun, and in fact I'm allowing a shotgun as an offhand to something, Bloodborne style, because Bloodborne owns.

Trick weapons from Bloodborne? Also a-okay, for the most part.

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

G We use a Gunblade because we are 15 and that poo poo is loving rad. Maybe pop some Bloodborne trick weapon aspects on that sucker for even more style

BD

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Chain sword worn as a belt.

C

F

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
1G A staff, but a matrial arts staff, rather than mage's. Possibly capable of shrinking and gowing like the Monkey King's, or holding itself in place like an Immovable Rod to also use for gymnastic feats.

2CF Life and Body are what we receive for our contract, and they shall be what we master. Strong, fast, coordinated, healing. Maybe later we can grow wings or hulk out if we need to.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
FAF

Loving this so far

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Toughy posted:

Chain sword worn as a belt.

C

F

Edit:

Toughy posted:

[b]Chain sword worn as a belt.

What kind of Chain sword? This kind?

Or this kind?

Because if it's the latter, I'm imagining us carring around the hilt like a lightsaber then using a spiked chain separately, or jamming it into the hilt and magic makes it spin, and changing my vote to that.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

The latter works for me

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
We are going to be a Bad Ass mothaFucka

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

Elfface posted:

Because if it's the latter, I'm imagining us carring around the hilt like a lightsaber then using a spiked chain separately, or jamming it into the hilt and magic makes it spin, and changing my vote to that.
1. Chain sword
2. CE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malbogio
Jan 19, 2015

paper bag with a face posted:

G We use a Gunblade because we are 15 and that poo poo is loving rad. Maybe pop some Bloodborne trick weapon aspects on that sucker for even more style

BD

+1