Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Hatter posted:

Put me down for team "Flippers and Landlords buy the same garbage"

Flippers, landlords, and bottom-line contractors, but yes this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Nitrox posted:

This is formaldehyde enriched laminate that Lumber Liquidators were blowing out for $0.29/foot in order to remain in business after insane lawsuits. It is truly the shittiest and the cheapest flooring money could buy, even before you think of formaldehyde poisoning. Contractors were quoting $1.50/foot installed, and every slumlord jumped on that deal. I bought and resold several pallets of this garbage, and it moved fast enough to never trickle up to actual homeowners.

I just wrote today to replace an entire downstairs of this crap. Owner bought it after it was flipped in 2018. He was so happy to be rid of it, it would bubble & lift at the slightest hint of moisture.

moist turtleneck posted:

Also I'm pretty sure Pergo made a design that was exactly like that, something oak

And yes, Pergo is formaldehyde free

I remember when Pergo started selling in the US, because we had a flooring rep/tech come and give a presentation to our claims office when I was at Prudential in 1996. Initially it was warranteed against water damage from pooled water for 45-minutes.

(The real, old Pergo - one of the very first floating floors - was tough as hell because it was designed for the European/Scandinavian/UK market, where when you moved out of your apartment odds were you took the appliances, cabinets, and flooring with you, and trimmed or added at your next lease.)

Not sure what happened, but I suspect they were lured by the siren song of the US market - we don't do that here - and started cutting corners because over the course of the next decad, that warranty withered away as the exposure times got shorter & shorter.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

That isn't crappy construction. It's jizzy construction.

coupedeville
Jan 1, 2012

MY ANACONDA DOM'T WANT NONE UNLESS U GOT CUM SON!
Jizzy Construction: The Four Penii of The Cumpocalypse

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

PainterofCrap posted:

(The real, old Pergo - one of the very first floating floors - was tough as hell because it was designed for the European/Scandinavian/UK market, where when you moved out of your apartment odds were you took the appliances, cabinets, and flooring with you, and trimmed or added at your next lease.)

I have genuinely NEVER heard of anyone taking their flooring with them here. Appliances, yes, cabinets, sometimes, flooring... what the hell.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kid sinister posted:

That isn't crappy construction. It's jizzy construction.

Cumstruction

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Dillbag posted:

Cumstruction

Fappy cumstruction

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

PurpleXVI posted:

I have genuinely NEVER heard of anyone taking their flooring with them here. Appliances, yes, cabinets, sometimes, flooring... what the hell.
There are rental apartments or houses in the US, where appliances aren't included. In my experience, it's usually absentee landlords who just don't want the responsibility of repair and replacement.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Nitrox posted:

There are rental apartments or houses in the US, where appliances aren't included. In my experience, it's usually absentee landlords who just don't want the responsibility of repair and replacement.
They usually supply floors though.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zereth posted:

They usually supply floors though.

Apartment Listing Cagey About Whether Unit Has Floor

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Floors? In this economy?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

PurpleXVI posted:

In Finland at least, for rental apartments the fridge/freezer combo is standard equipment. Other kitchen appliances like microwave you bring yourself. Any laundry machine is usually the tenant's own, but in apartment buildings there may be one or two shared laundry machines in the basement. Cupboards are made to measure and belong to the apartment. The floor however is whatever you can scrape together. I prefer styrofoam because it is warm, easy to cut into shape and can be found in landfills for free.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

I guess my response is that floors are also made to measure for the space?

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Typically in us rentals if you try to take the floorboards with you when you leave you're not getting your damage deposit back, is "floor" european for a rug

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 23:42 on May 18, 2024

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Typically in us rentals if you try to take the floorboards with you when you leave you're not getting your damage deposit back, I assume here the "floor" is some kind of mat over the actual floor like a rug or something? Do they not have rugs in finland

I mean yeah it's finland not rugland.

DUH

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

When it's pretty darn windy (note the portaloo blowing over) and you skimped on the diagonal bracing a little

https://i.imgur.com/iTjt1XH.mp4

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Saw that on Reddit, each floor collapsing one after the other in exactly the same way is comic perfection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
The actual structural floor stays in place, but since that's usually unfinished, rough concrete, whatever you put on top of that like laminate or carpet not so much. Many places it states explicitly in the lease that you have to remove it when you move out. At least, that's what I've heard from Dutch acquaintances.

Just Winging It fucked around with this message at 00:37 on May 19, 2024