Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

never gonna be able to afford the LotR sets :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Beasteh posted:

That base is fat as hell and gives it a really wide and deep footprint for a vertical set

You need a lot of space to display it
I was curious, so I checked lego.com. "32.5 in. (83 cm) high, 17.5 in. (45 cm) wide and 12 in. (30 cm) deep"

It's big, yo.

ijyt posted:

never gonna be able to afford the LotR sets :smith:
:smith::hf::smith:

If they do a big rear end Bag End as the next one I'm all in though.

deoju fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 15, 2024

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Dogen posted:

I sent it to my wife and she was like "did you order that for me?"
Me: "well... I don't have anywhere to put it I still haven't build like 3 huge sets for this reason"
Her: "Put it in my office upstairs"
Me: :getin:

https://twitter.com/PenPlays_/status/1790409298494796082

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
The product photography for a fancy Bag End set is going to be them kissing in bed with the set awkwardly off to one side.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The Milky Way is a beautiful set but building that thing was brutal.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

VaultAggie posted:

The Milky Way is a beautiful set but building that thing was brutal.

is it better in person because all the pics did not look good?

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

HootTheOwl posted:

is it better in person because all the pics did not look good?

I think it does! The colors pop a lot better in person, especially the deep purples against the black background. There’s some good usage of the new pearlescent colors as well, and lots of cool little parts sprinkled around.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Check out this Cesna 1727 MOC my 12 year old (who is super into planes) put together, using the model from his XPlane game as reference. He wants me to stress that this is a first prototype, with the colors driven by element availability - he has already used one of the apps to make instructions for a more color coordinated version.

edit: it's designed to hinge open to reveal its tender insides for easier play

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Habibi posted:

Check out this Cesna 1727 MOC my 12 year old (who is super into planes) put together, using the model from his XPlane game as reference. He wants me to stress that this is a first prototype, with the colors driven by element availability - he has already used one of the apps to make instructions for a more color coordinated version.

Please tell your kid he did a great job. That is immediately recognizable and looks super swooshable. I especially like the effort put in to making the colored bits symmetrical.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Your kid is amazing to be designing that, it's awesome. At 12 I was still making spaceships with the green baseplates from the red buckets that looked nowhere near this good or advanced.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Tell your kiddo a bunch of internet weirdos think they made a cool plane.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It even looks like someone who does their own repairs off the books.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

deoju posted:

Thank you. Like his father, these are the accolades he aspires to.

wheatpuppy posted:

Please tell your kid he did a great job. That is immediately recognizable and looks super swooshable. I especially like the effort put in to making the colored bits symmetrical.

Color symmetry is very important to him. Peep his first spaceship MOC from when he was 4 and a half and our part inventory was just getting started:

Habibi fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 15, 2024

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

Habibi posted:

That is so good. Your son rocks!

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Habibi posted:

if he ever manages to get a cessna 172 whenever he grows up (not the most unrealistic dream) you need to send him those pictures and he needs to paint the wings in that pattern

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

deoju posted:

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Borsche69 posted:

if he ever manages to get a cessna 172 whenever he grows up (not the most unrealistic dream)

This is indeed his plan.

quote:

you need to send him those pictures and he needs to paint the wings in that pattern

:lol: writing myself a note

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Haha neat
https://x.com/horror4kids/status/1790516990639005741

https://x.com/horror4kids/status/1790517024185257986

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

deoju posted:

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Habibi posted:

ngl I really like the colors used, as was said it looks kind of like someone's diy repair jobs. Love it!

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Habibi posted:

Thank you. Like his father, these are the accolades he aspires to.

Color symmetry is very important to him. Peep his first spaceship MOC from when he was 4 and a half and our part inventory was just getting started:

Looks like a Winnebago with wings…

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Arcella posted:

Looks like a Winnebago with wings…

It's a Mog MOC.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

wheatpuppy posted:

It's a Mog MOC.

Half man half MOC, I'm my own creation.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I recently learned about this piece and saw that it is really inexpensive for it's size. I've been kicking around the idea of a MOC modular and thought it would make be useful. They are 16 studs wide, so two make it as wide as a standard modular. It'd be boring without being dressed up a bit, so I fooled around in Stud.io and ended up with something art deco inspired. I'm pretty pleased with it.

Everything you see is 638 pieces and $55.44 according to Stud.io.

Now to make the ground floor and the roof, and fill things in structurally. :stare:

Edit: poo poo, I just realized that the decorative bits on the sides would make it hang over a 32 wide base plate. Oh, well. Everything else about it works.

deoju fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 16, 2024

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Habibi posted:

This is amazing work, when I was 12 I was making blocky spaceships.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

deoju posted:

Edit: poo poo, I just realized that the decorative bits on the sides would make it hang over a 32 wide base plate. Oh, well. Everything else about it works.
Do a 1.5x width modular?

That piece looks super handy, tanks.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Zonko_T.M. posted:

ngl I really like the colors used, as was said it looks kind of like someone's diy repair jobs. Love it!

lol like a car that's out of production so the only way to replace the doors or hood is to scrap parts from something off color. yeah, its cool

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

kensei posted:

This is amazing work, when I was 12 I was making blocky spaceships.

I think I was probably doing battlebots/robot wars stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Do a 1.5x width modular?

That piece looks super handy, tanks.
:kingsley: Ahh, don't temp me to make it bigger!