Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Why not just use the data connection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

BBQ Dave posted:

I want to use my iPhone and laptop to access the internet anonymously from my office on the public wifi, but I’m paranoid about someone in IT figuring out I’m job hunting and doing other fun stuff (like making posts such as this). Is there a sure fire way to do this safely? Best practices / applications?

(Sent from my phone in the toilet on cell data mode).

A vpn would work, could even just be a wireguard server running on your router (if your router does such things) or raspberry pi or something. The network you’re on would only see encrypted packets going to whatever your home IP is.

The downside is that whoever owns the network will know you’re using a vpn. This might violate your terms of employment and have bad consequences. People do get fired for things like that.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Is anyone aware of a good way to control an iPhone from your PC? I'm thinking of switching from Android but the only way I've found to do that requires buying some sketchy program.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Zokari posted:

Is anyone aware of a good way to control an iPhone from your PC? I'm thinking of switching from Android but the only way I've found to do that requires buying some sketchy program.

Control, how?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

TraderStav posted:

Control, how?

What, like Remote Desktop? I believe it can be done using software that uses the Switch Control Mac accessibility feature. I think the controlling Mac and the iPhone have to be logged into the same Apple account, though.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

I just mean a way to mirror the phone screen for Windows.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

tuyop posted:

A vpn would work, could even just be a wireguard server running on your router (if your router does such things) or raspberry pi or something. The network you’re on would only see encrypted packets going to whatever your home IP is.

The downside is that whoever owns the network will know you’re using a vpn. This might violate your terms of employment and have bad consequences. People do get fired for things like that.

There used to be a rule in SH/SC that was basically "don't ask us how to circumvent work/school security" and that's why. Yeah there's ways around it but the admins will notice and you could get in trouble.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Zokari posted:

I just mean a way to mirror the phone screen for Windows.

I’d be super surprised if that were something than could be done on iOS.

Also a curious use case. Is there a specific app or information that doesn’t have a desktop app or webpage? Seems like every service is multi platform these days.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I've never tried it but on windows 11? theres a built in feature that sounds like it mirrors your phone so that you can click your mouse around your phone like a Remote Desktop. I mean I can see why there could be use cases for this but I think The Apple Way is to just buy a Mac and you'll have the ECOSYSTEM on the Mac already.

(Don't buy a Mac for this)

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

BBQ Dave posted:

I want to use my iPhone and laptop to access the internet anonymously from my office on the public wifi, but I’m paranoid about someone in IT figuring out I’m job hunting and doing other fun stuff (like making posts such as this). Is there a sure fire way to do this safely? Best practices / applications?

(Sent from my phone in the toilet on cell data mode).

Choice 1: mobile data
Choice 2: cloud flare warp

This is an in terms of your phone. I would
Never use my corporate laptop for anything personal at all, ever.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Wow it's way too easy to accidentally dismiss the timer on the Lock Screen without noticing it. Is there a way to make the timer on the Lock Screen non interactive? Answer is probably no but figured I'd ask.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Wow it's way too easy to accidentally dismiss the timer on the Lock Screen without noticing it. Is there a way to make the timer on the Lock Screen non interactive? Answer is probably no but figured I'd ask.

Asa baker, i loving hope so.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Well, you can swipe to clear it and that gets rid of the interactive elements. And every other trace of the timer outside the clock app. So, just how it was before I guess.

Maybe a Lock Screen widget is the answer

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

It'd help if it required two taps to wake instead of one. The iPhone just seems so sensitive, and the bezels are so small, that just pulling it from my pocket half the time will wake it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

tuyop posted:

Well, you can swipe to clear it and that gets rid of the interactive elements. And every other trace of the timer outside the clock app. So, just how it was before I guess.

Maybe a Lock Screen widget is the answer

Yeah I haven't taken a closer look but (1) I like seeing the timer on the Lock Screen. It's just way too easy to accidentally cancel the timer if you put your phone into your pocket and accidentally press some things with your palm.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mister Facetious posted:

It'd help if it required two taps to wake instead of one. The iPhone just seems so sensitive, and the bezels are so small, that just pulling it from my pocket half the time will wake it.

It also uses the gyro and other sensors to wake just from being picked up.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

It also uses the gyro and other sensors to wake just from being picked up.

I've had that turned off since my last iPhone.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Splinter posted:

I just did this with Verizon on a Japan trip earlier this year with dual eSIMs (Verizon + Ubigi) on a 15 pro max. If you want to send/receive iMessages from your Verizon phone # (rather than your Apple ID email) without triggering the charge, you need to leave your Verizon SIM enabled. The trick is changing a few settings on it, then adding a PIN, restarting, then not unlocking the SIM with the PIN when given the option. This allows iMessage to still acknowledge/use your phone number while preventing your phone from ever attempting to actually use the Verizon SIM for cellular (which would trigger the $10 charge). I believe you also need to set Messages to not attempt to send SMS. In terms of cellular settings, you need to turn off data roaming on the Verizon SIM and I believe set the other SIM to be used for as the primary data SIM. I'd double check the exact instructions, because IME if everything wasn't done in exactly the right way, iMessage wouldn't work as desired with the data SIM. Locking the Verizon SIM w/ a PIN was the key for getting this working for me.

e: https://www.reddit.com/r/JapanTravelTips/comments/13ubkmm/imessage_wubigi/jm221tk/ explains this.

Following up on this post-trip.

I wasn’t able to get it to work, sadly. When I tried to turn on the SIM pin it asked for the pin to make any changes. Looking it up in my Verizon account it was 1111 just like the Reddit post said, but I got two failed attempts out of three and didn’t want to get locked out of my primary SIM so I gave up there.

Not sure what else I could have done but next time I travel I’ll look into it again, it would be really cool to have that work.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

When in Japan I just always rented a pocket wi-fi unit and turned off the cellular on the phone after connecting to said unit.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Got any recs? Or are they available once you land?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Granted, I have AT&T, but when I was abroad in the UK I turned mobile data off on my AT&T eSIM, used a local eSIM for data (this was a pain in the rear end btw) and had no overages or roaming charges.

I didn’t turn the AT&T eSIM off completely, just data roaming and mobile data and set the travel eSIM to primary mobile data. I’m planning on doing the same thing when I go to Japan in November.

I would say try to get a travel eSIM sorted out before you leave because boy was it a pain in the rear end in the UK at least. Maybe Japan’s carriers are better.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bottom Liner posted:

Got any recs? Or are they available once you land?

I used to use JapanWiFiBuddy but their prices are no longer competitive. I've seen nothing but great reviews for Japan Wireless and their prices seem really competitive. The earlier you can order the unit (as soon as you get your plane tickets and know the arrival date) the better as many of these companies run out of reservations. You will be able to pick the unit and an accompanying battery tank at the airport's post office right after you get out of customs so you can start using it immediately. The reason I prefer pocket WiFi over e-sims is that the pocket unit is always going to be faster than an e-sim and also usually comes with a more generous data limit. I've only had to hook up the extra battery to a pocket wifi once in all the times I was going to Japan between 2016 and 2019 iirc.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I used wifi hotspots (i even eventually bought my own dedicated unit from verizon since i was using it enough) whenever I was traveling in Japan and the US before travel esims were a widespread thing. I dunno how exactly it'd be faster, since it's just using the same connection to the local cell network an esim would, but now it has an additional relay between the unit and your phone.

I never had battery issues either, as you said, and one additional perk is that it's easier if you're traveling with other people to just share the connection. That being said, it's another thing to remember to carry around, to have charged, to make sure isn't lost/stolen, etc. Especially if you're sharing it, you're kind of tethered to the other person but it was easy for a big old dummy like me to forget. i.e. in a shopping area, we decided to split up, and then we realized that meant only one person had any internet so we couldn't coordinate meeting back up or any other stuff lol. whoops.

since the phones/devices just treat it as a normal wifi connection, it also means if you're worried about data caps, uh, be careful because your iPad might decide to just download, say, a 1.9GB update during the night automatically. learned that the hard way.

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
https://esimdb.com/japan always has good eSim info, do it before you leave

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

POCKET CHOMP posted:

I used wifi hotspots (i even eventually bought my own dedicated unit from verizon since i was using it enough) whenever I was traveling in Japan and the US before travel esims were a widespread thing. I dunno how exactly it'd be faster, since it's just using the same connection to the local cell network an esim would, but now it has an additional relay between the unit and your phone.

Rented sims are usually throttled to slower network speeds iirc, but are still faster than T-Mobile's ability to go on the native network in Japan at no extra charge. Pocket WiFi were always hooked up to the fastest networks (i.e. 5G over 4G over T Mob's 3G). But I could be wrong as when I was going physical sims were available, not e sims. And again the advantage of a pocket wifi usually having a far greater data limit over rented sims was one of the biggest selling points to me.

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 19, 2024

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
If AI is releasing in iOS 18, do we think the iPhone 15 Pro series’ hardware can run it?

Second - if so, will Apple allow it or make it a reason to purchase iPhone 16?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s kind of an irrelevant question because Apple is just going to lock it to the new phones regardless

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

there’s already AI on the existing phones going back many generations

it would be pretty surprising if there weren’t new AI features that required whatever NPE beef they add to the next phone, but it would also be pretty surprising if all new AI features in iOS 18 required new hardware. they usually want some carrot like that to get people upgrading

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Queer Grenadier posted:

If AI is releasing in iOS 18, do we think the iPhone 15 Pro series’ hardware can run it?

The A17 Pro chip has the updated neural engine, so in theory it should be able to run whatever AI stuff they come up with.

But I can also believe that there will be some special feature that only the 16 gets. Hopefully it will be able to run Joi if you have a Apple Vision Pro.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I think you can get your JOI on any modern iPhone.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

What specific AI features are you looking for that would convince you to buy a new phone? The current rumors for AI in iOS 18 are:

Summarized Notifications, Articles, E-mails
AI Notes assistant
AI Voice Memo Transcriptions
Translations
Improved Siri

I certainly like and use AI for coding projects and editing professional writing, but most of the killer features are pretty niche and contextual in nature. Maybe it being baked into iOS will allow Apple to set themselves apart, especially if the OpenAI partnership rumors is true.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Queer Grenadier posted:

You'll see what your old phone gets at wwdc. Nothing specific to this year's new model will be confirmed until it launches in september

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
Thanks all who responded. Hopefully the AI improvements are software side for all existing hardware capable of using it!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Corb3t posted:

What specific AI features are you looking for that would convince you to buy a new phone? The current rumors for AI in iOS 18 are:
One that I would love that can't be done through external apps that will write the skeleton of an article would be being able to tell GarageBand "I need some boring-rear end music bed for a corporate video that's 42 seconds long, with it uplifting at the 31 second mark. Use ukeleles since managers love that poo poo" and it'll pull from all the free music loops it has access to and put something together for me. Wouldn't buy a new phone for it but it would certainly make life easier in work.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Is this the news in weather app stuff that someone was asking about recently?

Not sure I trust BUSINESS INSIDER for how to not get cancer. I mean, why not link me to the NIH or something that employs actual doctors and scientists?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Probably because they can't convert an NIH article into Apple News subscriptions

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because it's not about information it's about convincing people to use apple news (and then pay for their garbage algorithm to fill your eyeballs with garbage stories).

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I think this is what they were talking about?

https://www.macrumors.com/2022/11/03/weather-app-news-ios-16-2/

It’s something they started doing in 16.2.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

It put the news section at the top, under a weather alert for me. Only seen that one day, normally it's down at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I use the weather app multiple times a day and have never seen that. I’d be using something else if I had though, that sucks.