Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Cat Farm
Oct 20, 2010

I can smell your pussy, Clarice.

Real hurthling! posted:

Test the well for glyphosate first. It may be a moot question

I don’t believe there’s any to begin with. We live in a secluded area. Our only neighbors, that we live right next to, haven’t used any yet.

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Presumably your well is getting groundwater from tens or hundreds of feet down and that's all in enclosed piping so I can't see a huge risk there. Unless its like a real old timey well that's a hole in the ground with a bucket and a rope and stuff? Nothing in any glyphosate label I can find mentions anything about staying away from wells, just 'do not apply directly to water,' and at least in the US the label is the law.

Thanks for this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I live in a condo in Chicago and would like to put some windowboxes/planters up with some greenery, or maybe even just some little annual flowers. I wanted to get stuff done sooner, but I'm also having some poo poo come up that means my funds/time that I can spend loving around with stuff are a little short this month. If I wanted to spread some annual flower seeds (like, I just got a pack of mixed wildflower seeds or whatever) just for fun, what's about the latest I could feasibly do it this summer and have them bloom?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

death cob for cutie posted:

I live in a condo in Chicago and would like to put some windowboxes/planters up with some greenery, or maybe even just some little annual flowers. I wanted to get stuff done sooner, but I'm also having some poo poo come up that means my funds/time that I can spend loving around with stuff are a little short this month. If I wanted to spread some annual flower seeds (like, I just got a pack of mixed wildflower seeds or whatever) just for fun, what's about the latest I could feasibly do it this summer and have them bloom?

It's a little late to start seeds. I'd put some annuals in there for this year.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah dont scoff at buying started plants, especially for planters where you may want to change it seasonally and you want to visualize what its going to look like as you design it.

In personal news i bought 12 assorted hosta uh bulbish looking sprout things.
July should be made in the shade. We'll see.

Canadian Bakin
Nov 6, 2011

Retaliate first.
I'm having a bit of an issue with one of our plum trees this spring. Two have blossomed and are leafing out wonderfully, but the third hasn't done anything at all. If I hadn't inspected it and found the tiniest green buds on the branches, I would have thought it was dead. It did take the brunt of the hail damage last summer, so I'm wondering if that had a severe negative effect.
How would I go about treating this? Is there a fertilizer I can apply?

Edit: I should note that I have tried my best to google for this information, but most of what I'm finding is about increasing fruit harvest and well... this tree is almost a month behind the others so I'm not getting anything off it this year anyway.

Canadian Bakin fucked around with this message at 00:54 on May 20, 2024

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

A decade ago, we had tons of trees in our yard. After a bad storm, one of them almost fell on our house and onto our daughter’s rooms. After that, my wife wanted them gone. We removed all of them except two large oak trees, one on each side of our yard (we have a stream bed to the side of our garage where we kept the trees).

In the last couple of years, we have noticed that one of the oak trees has began to “decay” at the bottom of one side. An opening has appeared at the bottom of that side and the bark breaks off easily around the whole. That side of the tree seems to not have many if any leaves produced on the limbs.

Is there some disease that could be causing this or is it just old age? We do not want to get rid of this tree unless absolutely necessary but my wife is now giving it a side eye every time we are outside (it would also fall directly on our daughters’ rooms if it fell). Sorry for the google links. Every time I try to upload an image to Imgur, it says it cannot be done.

[url=] https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rc3DVuBjH6meSaSoo9-MPsCsc9cRhrCO/view?usp=drivesdk[/url]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EYGvc_YkwHIkXmwR50_Yf0HjKf3_mFlZ/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks for any ideas.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Getting absolutely zero poppies growing this year. The internet tells me I should have cold stratified the seeds and that I probably missed my window. But I never cold stratified before... at least intentionally. Ah well.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

In the last couple of years, we have noticed that one of the oak trees has began to “decay” at the bottom of one side. An opening has appeared at the bottom of that side and the bark breaks off easily around the whole. That side of the tree seems to not have many if any leaves produced on the limbs.

Is there some disease that could be causing this or is it just old age? We do not want to get rid of this tree unless absolutely necessary but my wife is now giving it a side eye every time we are outside (it would also fall directly on our daughters’ rooms if it fell). Sorry for the google links. Every time I try to upload an image to Imgur, it says it cannot be done.

I think you know the answer. That tree is cooked and you're better off getting ahead of it.

We have had to cut down three old oaks at our house since we bought 4 years ago. What I have learned is that it's not an either or thing with disease and old age. Usually old age just makes them more susceptible to pests, fungus and diseases. Looks like insect damage in that close-up, but they may also just be taking advantage of an already weakened tree.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

A decade ago, we had tons of trees in our yard. After a bad storm, one of them almost fell on our house and onto our daughter’s rooms. After that, my wife wanted them gone. We removed all of them except two large oak trees, one on each side of our yard (we have a stream bed to the side of our garage where we kept the trees).

[url=] https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rc3DVuBjH6meSaSoo9-MPsCsc9cRhrCO/view?usp=drivesdk[/url]

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EYGvc_YkwHIkXmwR50_Yf0HjKf3_mFlZ/view?usp=drivesdk

Thanks for any ideas.
That looks like a water oak and they are generally pretty short lived and not terribly healthy while they are alive. On the plus side, they grow fast and make good firewood.

E: looking closer at pictures, not sure it's a water oak but definitely a sort a closely related red oak like a laurel oak or somethin and the same holds true. It looks like there's a good bit of mistletoe in the dead half of the tree which while not super harmful to the tree in itself, is a sign of the tree being in poor health generally.

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 21, 2024

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Zinnias bloom in 60-70 days, if you want to have a sprinkle of stuff you seed.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

That looks like a water oak and they are generally pretty short lived and not terribly healthy while they are alive. On the plus side, they grow fast and make good firewood.

E: looking closer at pictures, not sure it's a water oak but definitely a sort a closely related red oak like a laurel oak or somethin and the same holds true. It looks like there's a good bit of mistletoe in the dead half of the tree which while not super harmful to the tree in itself, is a sign of the tree being in poor health generally.

The bark looks like a water oak. What's the expression? They spend 20 years growing and 40 years dying?

It needs to be removed at some point. Plant some more trees, OP. It's a good opportunity to leave some trees for the next family.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

It needs to be removed at some point. Plant some more trees, OP. It's a good opportunity to leave some trees for the next family.
You now have the ability to plant a horse chestnut (Aesculus glabra), which I've always wanted and never had the space for. They grow to a stately height and shape, they have pretty flowers, and they drop buckeyes, which delight children but have to be raked. They aren't related to the American chestnut (Castanea dentata), which is being destroyed by an imported blight. Tulip trees (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liriodendron_tulipifera) are also beautiful.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Get black walnut and delight as all the local critters rush to stain their fur with the indelible pitch black goo of its fruit

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Don't get black walnut if you want to plant anything else in your yard

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Thanks for the info. We are going to look at getting it removed. Luckily, the one on the other side does not have any signs like that (but it may come about soon because they are both about the same height).

What suggestions would you have for new trees beyond the already mentioned ones. We live in Central/Southern Illinois.

Mintymenman
Mar 29, 2021
Shagbark Hickory. Likes wet soil, native to the Midwest, nuts are delicious, and the deadfall for smoking.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Golden rain trees (Koelreuteria paniculata) are beautiful both in bloom and out. They also bloom in summer, not spring.

https://plants.ces.ncsu.edu/plants/koelreuteria-paniculata/

e: Note that golden chain trees are not the same as golden rain trees; I've never seen one of the former myself. https://www.monrovia.com/vossi-golden-chain-tree.html

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
are there any plants that are continually fragrant and not impossible to grow indoors

e: pleasantly fragrant, nothing that smells like butts or whatever

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

indigi posted:

are there any plants that are continually fragrant and not impossible to grow indoors

meyer lemons smell amazing, but it will need a really good spot or lights and it would probably prefer to live outside half the year

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the milk machine posted:

meyer lemons smell amazing, but it will need a really good spot or lights and it would probably prefer to live outside half the year

lights I can do, I've already invested an unreasonable amount of money (relative to the number of plants I currently have/could even potentially have) in adaptable light fixtures/bulbs/temperature controllers/outlet timers. I want it to make my office always smell like a nice happy plant, I'll look into it to see if people have figured out how to get Meyer lemons to be happy inside

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

indigi posted:

You want Logee's. Not necessarily to buy from, but to get a solid list of fragrant plants with pros and cons. A lot of them are suitable for indoors; the writeup will tell you.

https://www.logees.com/browse-by-plant-type/fragrant-plants.html Jasminum sambac seems to meet your needs. Also, look at this plant that isn't actually a jasmine but is named jasmine: Orange jasmine, aka Murreya paniculata.

These two plants demonstrate why I try to give the formal Latin names, not just the common names.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

indigi posted:

Rosemary.

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Thanks for the info. We are going to look at getting it removed. Luckily, the one on the other side does not have any signs like that (but it may come about soon because they are both about the same height).

What suggestions would you have for new trees beyond the already mentioned ones. We live in Central/Southern Illinois.
Congrats you can probably grow basically hardwood native to eastern North America! Hard to go wrong with a white oak, I think burr oaks are particularly native/adapted to the midwest. Walnuts are nice but messy, Various maples have nice fall color (stay away from silver maples though), honey locust/Kentucky coffee tree are interesting. You might try one of the Dutch Elm Disease resistant American Elm cultivars out there. Elms are super handsome and generally fairly fast growing. Zelkova is a very nice tree too.

This is a really well done, wonderfully photographed book that is basically entirely about this topic:
https://www.amazon.com/Native-Trees...ps%2C220&sr=8-1

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

indigi posted:

Hoya vines. Warning: the fragrance is a little... intense. But they do smell nice, from the other room.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If OP is willing to accept things that smell only when they touch them, any scented geranium would be great for that. Peppermint geranium actually does smell like peppermint, and it has wonderful fuzzy leaves that are nice to touch. My other favorite is any rose geranium; I think attar of rose was my most favorite, but any of them are good.

Note: Geraniums are not geraniums. That plant you think is a geranium is actually some variety of pelargonium.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

kid sinister posted:

Hoya vines. Warning: the fragrance is a little... intense. But they do smell nice, from the other room.

Hoya fragrances vary highly by species, there's some that smell like grape gum (aka H. subcalva)

Cyclamen can have some great fragrances, but it varies greatly by species and breeding. They do quite well indoors.
One of the best seedlings of my first round has a sweet-sour citrus-like soapy scent.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

wow thanks for all the great info and recommendations

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

If you're thinking of buying an indoor citrus, I'd encourage you to consider Four Winds Nursery. Their plants are in absolutely superb condition, they're dwarfs, and Four Winds sells many rare varieties. In particular, consider (when in stock), the chinotto. It's charming to look at (small leaves, small adorable fruits) and flowers as much as any other orange. The fruits are too sour to eat, but hey! Time to get into making liqueurs and extracts.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I was able to grow hostas indoors for quite a while, they can have some nice-smelling flowers as well, depending on the cultivar.

Generally I like to grow stuff for fragrance, because it's a little high that nobody can take away from you.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Neeksy posted:

I was able to grow hostas indoors for quite a while, they can have some nice-smelling flowers as well, depending on the cultivar.

Generally I like to grow stuff for fragrance, because it's a little high that nobody can take away from you.

Same. Smells make me happy.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Gardinia is the smell champion

bagmonkey
May 13, 2003

Grimey Drawer
PLANT A CATALPA

EAT THE GIANT GREEN BEANS

EVOLVE INTO YOUR FINAL FORM

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Gardenias are notoriously fussy.

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

My kitchen windowsill basil only smells if you touch it but if you so much as brush a leaf it fills the whole room with basil smell. Which I love. I wish I had a perfume that smelled that good.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Jo Malone Basil and Neroli. If you have a couple of hundred bucks to spare, try it and let us know.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

I've grown a gardenia indoors, specifically Diamond's Fragrant Delight from Logee's, and it indeed smells quite nice. It's outdoors at my new place and seems to have adjusted fine to the transition, as it's about to pump out a new set a flowers soon.

Currently my thing that smells the best is a Lupinus arboreus that i'm trying to isolate and magnify by selection that smells like a combo of grape and rose, it's delicious and I want a drink of that fragrance. The other L. arboreus hybrids I have going have a nicer flower form but their fragrance is more like a hyacinth but not as indolic.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Summer design is done. Hope it fills in nice and lush.
4 hosta varieties (tags say: mighty mouse, hands up, blue mouse ears, lakeside little tuft)
impatiens
Blue spreading lobelia

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

looks nice. I always like your raised bed updates for some reason. they have good urban pit fung shui

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

You can do s lot with 3 months of morning sun and unusually hot humid air microclimate in a 13 story deep concrete shaft.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Oh and sorry my pics disappear after 2 days. The fastest way i know how to share pictures now that the app removed the feature is to copy paste from a random dead discord server i dump photos on.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I use imgbb lately, it's ok but takes a few more click

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

https://postimages.org/