Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

canyoneer posted:

It's hard to pick a "worst joker", because everything is situational. There are a handful of jokers that are solid candidates for it, because I am never happy to see them. Most of them have to do with Straights, because those are difficult to build a good strategy around.

Seance gets a pass because although it's a really rare trigger (Straight Flush), Spectral cards can be very powerful.
Runner is hard to get pumped up to useful levels.
Superposition? Create a tarot card if the hand contains an straight and an ace? I am never happy to see that one.

it's supernova. supernova's the worst. you will never, ever get a meaningful amount of multi out of it before the blinds scale well beyond its' reach. all the other jokers that require you to waste hands or discards to take advantage of them have effects that persist beyond their sale. it costs 3 more monies than just a flat 4 multi joker. it's a total noob trap joker

e:

Popete posted:

Obelisk stinks because although it can be a decently powerful joker it's just not fun to manage.

I was happy to clear the Monolith challenge.

the way obelisk is meant to be used is that you start off with something like flush or full house (not high card) and then after you pick up monolith & have like 20 or so of another hand, you pivot into 5 of a kind or flush house or flush 5. you wouldn't really want to use planet cards in early rounds outside of getting like 1-2 levels and instead focus on getting powerful early game & hand defining jokers. pretty much all my decks fit that sort of formula anyways, so I'm happy to take monolith for the mid-late game before most the pieces to a lucky cat build or constellation with multiple copy jokers, etc.

Tonetta fucked around with this message at 03:49 on May 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

canyoneer posted:

It's hard to pick a "worst joker", because everything is situational. There are a handful of jokers that are solid candidates for it, because I am never happy to see them. Most of them have to do with Straights, because those are difficult to build a good strategy around.

Seance gets a pass because although it's a really rare trigger (Straight Flush), Spectral cards can be very powerful.
Runner is hard to get pumped up to useful levels.
Superposition? Create a tarot card if the hand contains an straight and an ace? I am never happy to see that one.

It's obviously splash. It takes up an entire Joker slot so that at best you can proc five score effects on enhanced cards. Like at least superposition gives you tarot cards which can be used to continually improve your deck

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Tonetta posted:

it's supernova. supernova's the worst. you will never, ever get a meaningful amount of multi out of it before the blinds scale well beyond its' reach. all the other jokers that require you to waste hands or discards to take advantage of them have effects that persist beyond their sale. it costs 3 more monies than just a flat 4 multi joker. it's a total noob trap joker

I get where you're coming from in the respect that it is a noob trap, because you can delude yourself into thinking it's like green Joker or ride the bus, but at least with a high card run It can do some decent work. And with some blue seals? That can go places

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
The worst was a straight flush locked to-do list.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

A couple days ago I wanted to get in a game before bed, and the shop after ante 1 small blind offered Obelisk and Neptune. Got a good night's sleep after that.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Supernova can hit around 30 mult if you have a focused concept, that alone puts it well above the replacement value of things like average Misprint roll or Swashbuckler/Abstract. It's thoroughly mediocre, able to slot into an xmult build but not able to carry.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

Tea Party Crasher posted:

I get where you're coming from in the respect that it is a noob trap, because you can delude yourself into thinking it's like green Joker or ride the bus, but at least with a high card run It can do some decent work. And with some blue seals? That can go places

I'm a high card build shamer

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's obviously splash. It takes up an entire Joker slot so that at best you can proc five score effects on enhanced cards. Like at least superposition gives you tarot cards which can be used to continually improve your deck

idk, it’s got synergies with lots of jokers that care about cards being played to trigger special effects

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Supernova is extremely consistent base mult and if you're just playing the same hand every time, it's a lot less fussy that Green Joker or Ride the Bus (although in the optimal use case for Supernova, you're not discarding much anyway). It's quickly becoming one of the Jokers I'm very happy to see early game because I know it'll buy me a LOT of time to figure the rest of my run out.

WhatEvil posted:

I feel like the game needs some fundamental changes tbh.

It's poo poo that you can see the same crappy joker that doesn't fit your build 3, 4 times in shops/packs over the course of your game. In most other deckbuilders stuff like jokers (in StS it would be artifacts) only shows up once. You get one chance to take it, then it's gone.

I think Balatro needs to either:

Make it so that once you've sold a card, it either doesn't show up again or has a greatly reduced chance of showing up again.

OR

Give a "banish" option where instead of selling a card, you can ditch it, get no money for it, and it doesn't come up again.

Or something like that.

I feel like too much of the game is just about rerolling until you get good joker luck. With Slay the Spire, good players can do A20 Heart runs (the hardest run in the game) and get like, 7/10 runs to a win, because there's usually *something* you can build on if you know what you're doing. With Balatro, there's too much of the bad kind of luck that's not fun to interact with.

Stuff I wish Balatro had, besides a banish option.
- A "lock" option that holds stuff you want in the shop.
- A "harvest" feature where I can rip effects off of something and transplant it to something else, cards in my deck or jokers, whatever.
- Seeing the available hands I can play with the cards I have.
- Seeing the odds of what hands I'll draw if I make X, Y or Z move.
- And, yes, seeing what your fuckin' score will be before you play a hand.

But, Balatro's never gonna be that game, so, it's just gonna be a Hold R simulator at higher levels. Whatever.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

The ability to lock cards could be an interesting tarot card

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

but tea party crasher, all of the tarot cards are taken, I can hear you saying. my answer is simple, just make that the new lover's ability because who cares about wildcards

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Jay Rust posted:

losing my mind trying to unlock the 100,000,000 joker, closest i've come is 75mil

same

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I don't hate Supernova. It feels like those piddly little +3 mult for suit jokers. Better than an empty slot and does plenty of good work until you can sell it for something better.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Supernova just got me thru Cruelty challenge, spamming pairs got it up to the 30s by the end.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Supernova like Ride the Bus can work if you get it early and can stick to a clear strategy moving forward after that. But relying on it too much also means you lose the ability to pivot to a better long term strategy - you can't pivot into flush fives or five of a kind later.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

The worst joker is Joker and it's not even close. A piddly amount of mult and no scaling or rewards.

AND that dude's an rear end in a top hat.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

He's cheap and you can feed him to the Knife :black101:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you're about to aim insults at my boy Jim you better hold em, Tex. No alterations to your play, or gotchas, or resets. If you've got a Xmult then every +mult counts! He is a great addition to your shelf of clowns.

doos
Jan 1, 2015

If I'm on ante 7 or 8, and I see a Negative tag, it's going to give me Stencil Joker, I just know it.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Scholtz posted:

The worst joker is Joker and it's not even close. A piddly amount of mult and no scaling or rewards.

AND that dude's an rear end in a top hat.

Honestly I would rather have Joker over something like jolly Joker.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Joker can get you through the first ante just fine which can mean a couple extra bucks, I guess, but if he was my only option, I would just restart.

I would take Jolly Joker over Joker but I think I would take Joker over the three of a kind guy.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm not a big fan of Jokers that reset like Campfire or Hit the Road, but that's just a personal thing.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Literally just take Joker, he costs $2 and sells for $1. No he's not fantastic but early game you're starving for mult and the opportunity cost for taking him is basically nonexistent.

(For a similar reason, just take Credit Card if you have the space, it costs $1 and sells for $1 so even if you never use it you have lost nothing)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Pre-nerf Campfire was worth it. When your econ gets humming, it's pretty straightforward and pretty fun to just feed it tons of consumables.

Hit The Road is one of the more annoying meta-scaling jokers and I tend to avoid it outside of Abandoned Deck.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Arzaac posted:

Literally just take Joker, he costs $2 and sells for $1. No he's not fantastic but early game you're starving for mult and the opportunity cost for taking him is basically nonexistent.

(For a similar reason, just take Credit Card if you have the space, it costs $1 and sells for $1 so even if you never use it you have lost nothing)

This is mostly true unless you're at an interest threshold then they could cost $1 more.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Joker is still useful if you get it as a late run negative which is more than can be said for a number of other jokers.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Campfire and Hiker go well together. Hiker was one I didn't really like until I created a deck around destroying cards. Having very few meant I played the same cards a lot and they grew a high value. That granted tons of chips, which were multed by Campfire!

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

but tea party crasher, all of the tarot cards are taken, I can hear you saying. my answer is simple, just make that the new lover's ability because who cares about wildcards

Make it a spectral card. Boom

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Hit the road is awesome. The punishment for a misplay is worse than green joker, but I find its condition easier to play around. Sometimes you really need those discards, meanwhile if you build correctly it's pretty easy to avoid face cards.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

joker is in the better half of all jokers, imo. costs 2, sells for 1, no ramp, no hand restrictions, no feelbads tossing it when you find an ankh or 5th joker that leans into your current build.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Oh I just conflated Hit the Road and Ride the Buss lmao.

Hit the Road issss pretty good. It's something you can build around and make super consistent.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I feel like Hit the Road (get xMult for Jacks discarded this round) can be good but you really want to fill your deck with Jacks and/or have a lot of discards.

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

MJeff posted:

Oh I just conflated Hit the Road and Ride the Buss lmao.

Hit the Road issss pretty good. It's something you can build around and make super consistent.

For what it's worth I did too lol

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I feel like Hit the Road requires a bit too much effort for the benefit it gives. If it reset at the end of every ante instead, that'd make it much more usable.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Hit the Road is why, given a clean deck and free choice for an ante 1 pack 1 seal, the first purple is going on a Jack. Reds go on Kings (Baron) and Blues on Queens (Shoot the Moon). No?

Tea Party Crasher
Sep 3, 2012

Chadzok posted:

Hit the Road is why, given a clean deck and free choice for an ante 1 pack 1 seal, the first purple is going on a Jack. Reds go on Kings (Baron) and Blues on Queens (Shoot the Moon). No?

Interesting, usually I put red seals on queens for the re triggers. what you are saying makes a lot of sense though

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that
Funny enough, I have this open while playing on the other screen, and just now trying to get the "never have more than 4 jokers" unlock, late in the game I got, in rapid succession, Shoot the Moon, Hit the Road, and then Triboulet. So my order of play became extremely simple: stick to Flushes, discard Jacks, hold Queens, play Kings. (edit: got the W, although a surprise Verdant Leaf almost hosed me in Ante 8 because I didn't look ahead.)(edit 2: Jesus, turned into a hell of a run - immediately after winning 8, got an Ankh, so double Triboulet, then a polychrome Sock & Buskin, then a foil Seltzer bottle, and it was off into the lands of scientific notation for the next few rounds until I hilariously crashed into the "disable all face cards" boss.)

Sarcastro fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 16, 2024

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
Got lucky and was able to dupe red seal glass ace with DNA and brainstorm and got stunt man unlocked.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
No, repeat hand types!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Looks like the patch is up on Switch