Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

algebra testes posted:

Also I don't know much about Lynch what is his Blank Check movie?
I'd probably say Inland Empire, 'cause the move to video really freed him from how much of a time sink shooting on film is and gave him all the time he wanted to gently caress around shooting on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?
Are we getting a special episode about Rabbits? Please tell me we're getting a special episode about Rabbits.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Inkspot posted:

Are we getting a special episode about Rabbits? Please tell me we're getting a special episode about Rabbits.

I’m guessing they will probably talk about it during the Inland Empire episode

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah don't think Basic works that well. Feels like it needed a different cast and some lighter direction. Some of the music/camera was so dramatic with some of the silly twists like the race one.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
They are correct that Ribisi’s performance is just awful. The idea of swapping Jackson and Travolta is kinda fun but I don’t think it fixes the movie. I think the twists are just kinda dumb and the Rashomon conceit is pretty half assed.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
One thing I feel like these Rashomon attempts forget is how wildly different each story was and how they changed with perceptions of class and gender. Like one has elite samurai while the other version has the sword fights shaking in fear as they approach each other.

Basic just has the same story 3 times with a few changes to who shot who. Not as fun.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

checkplease posted:

One thing I feel like these Rashomon attempts forget is how wildly different each story was and how they changed with perceptions of class and gender. Like one has elite samurai while the other version has the sword fights shaking in fear as they approach each other.

Basic just has the same story 3 times with a few changes to who shot who. Not as fun.

I like when Luke Wilson had buck teeth.

I've never seen Rashomon only the X-Fikes episode.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
I did enjoy the discussion of Travolta's post Pulp Fiction career. Probably the first time I've heard anyone talk about White Man's Burden since it came out and I bought the soundtrack for some reason.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Don't agree with Ben David's take that there's only been like two films better directed than Last Action Hero in the last 10 years, but it's a spicy take.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I feel like the anime series end up being a little boring just because the lack of Hollywood stars /gossip means there’s fewer alleyways to spiral out into. It turns into more dossier reading and agreeing that the movie is good

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can go deep with the classic Japanese cinema references in MA

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't know where she's going but she'll be there by 10am tomorrow.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

algebra testes posted:

I don't know where she's going but she'll be there by 10am tomorrow.

entire room erupts into cheers and screaming laughter

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

You got me straight trippin boo

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Try silence

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What's people's Kon rankings if any?

I think I'm
1. Tokyo Godfathers
2. Paprika
3. Millennium Actress
4. Perfect Blue

But could switch first 3 around probably.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

What’s the new series? I got behind and haven’t listened since Perfect Blue.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Martin Brest finally

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I honestly kind of dig Meet Joe Black.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I hadn’t seen any Kon (or much anime at all really) until this series and I really enjoyed everything. My rankings are:

1. Millennium Actress
2. Tokyo Godfathers
3. Paprika
4. Perfect Blue

I would also put Paranoia Agent right at the top with Millennium Actress, that show was amazing.

Not sure I’m all that excited about Brest, though I will get to fill in some weird and embarrassing blind spots (Beverly Hills Cop and Midnight Run)

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Yeah I need to watch Paranoia Agent again. I didn't really connect with the ending on this watch, but some of those episodes are just incredible horror shorts. Pretty much 2-10 worked for me (tho incest one is probably skip on rewatch). Love the kids one, multiple personalities, ghosts, wives, and anime production episodes.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

checkplease posted:

What's people's Kon rankings if any?

I think I'm
1. Tokyo Godfathers
2. Paprika
3. Millennium Actress
4. Perfect Blue

But could switch first 3 around probably.

1.Millennium Actress, the peak of the animated medium

3.Paranoia Agent

4.Magnetic Rose, they should've done this despite him just being the screen writer you can feel his hands all over this project. It feels like the missing piece between MA and Perfect Blue

5. Perfect Blue

6. Paprika, it's let down only by how awkward some of the CGI additives are. It does have the second best score of his film however, after MA

7. Tokyo Godfathers, It's a good film, maybe even a great film but it's standard and when the rest of your filmography is transcendent it's hard to consider the films that are just "okay". Only Kon could've made Millenium Actress, Perfect Blue or Paprika but you can just as easily see a Shinkai Tokyo Godfathers as the version we got.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
1. Millenium Actress was a surprise with me. Never seen before.

2. Paprika I have always loved, that intro my god.

3. Perfect Blue I had never seen also, very good.

Tokyo Godfathers I'll watch next.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Agreed that Magnetic Rose should have been covered in some capacity. It looks and feels like Kon with similar reality shifting themes.

Btw the Paprika 4K that came out recently looks amazing. It's a really solid upgrade visually. I hope someone does something similar with Millennium Actress though that already has a gorgeous blu ray.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
I want a Tokyo Godfathers steelbook because it's the only Satoshi Kon that doesn't have one yet

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Colonel Whitey posted:

Not sure I’m all that excited about Brest, though I will get to fill in some weird and embarrassing blind spots (Beverly Hills Cop and Midnight Run)

While I'm sure the boys will find plenty of interesting things to say about Brest's entire filmography (like thats the performance that got Pacino his Oscar?), those two movies are why they're doing the miniseries imo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's funny in retrospect that De Niro's performance in Midnight Run is so much better than Pacino's in Scent of a Woman despite him getting zero acclaim for it

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

howe_sam posted:

While I'm sure the boys will find plenty of interesting things to say about Brest's entire filmography (like thats the performance that got Pacino his Oscar?), those two movies are why they're doing the miniseries imo.

I’m sure the Gigli ep will be unhinged

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Scandalized that Griffin called Creepshow “z tier.” How dare you.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Oh good, they didn't gently caress up on the guest for Midnight Run

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Drunkboxer posted:

Scandalized that Griffin called Creepshow “z tier.” How dare you.

I'm not going to go back and check, but I thought he said "c tier".

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I'm not going to go back and check, but I thought he said "c tier".

He said Z. I was similarly offended.

Griffin is an idiot about horror movies. Also in general, but especially horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Xiahou Dun posted:

He said Z. I was similarly offended.

Griffin is an idiot about horror movies. Also in general, but especially horror.

Well then my mistake. I don't know much about horror, but I know Creepshow, which automatically means it's not z tier.