Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

cruft posted:

Yup.

Not bad on the highway, though, provided the speed limit isn't 65.

I don't know, at one point on a back country road it picked out a 65 from somewhere and gleefully started accelerating past 60 (posted limit was 45). And then a bit later, on a different back country road it caught a 5 from some equally unknowable source, but at least because I had already overridden the speed with the dial at that point didn't slow to 5 MPH (no posted limit, but assume its 35).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Twerk from Home posted:

How fast will FSD go? Does it go a certain ratio over the speed limit, a fixed offset over the limit, or try and match traffic if there is any?

I'm just wondering if it's dumb enough to merge into I-255 and try and go Autobahn speeds, or how it handles things like the 85mph limits outside Austin.

The people mentioning that it's slow to adjust to big speed limit changes make me wonder how you aren't getting nailed by speed traps all the time, I've driven through so many small towns where the abrupt drop from 65 or 70mph to 35mph means everyone who isn't under 40mph is getting a ticket.

Edit: the other part of this equation is efficiency too, it burns a ton more energy to drive 85mph over 70mph.

FSD and speed traps? I’m glad you asked!

So Thursday I went up to Cedar Point, I live in central Ohio and the park is up north-northwest of me. It’s an annoying drive because it’s 2.5 hours of country roads and speed trap towns. Driving to Kings Island, our southern park is so much easier, it’s I-71 the entire way and boom you’re there. The past couple years since I got my Model 3 it was easy enough. Autopilot keeps me going, I manually adjust the speed limit down when I come to a town or disengage entirely if it requires navigating through the town. Makes a dumb drive pretty simple

The day before, I got the FSD beta. Decided hey, this is a perfect chance to see if it’s as poo poo as everyone thinks or if it surprises me. Off the bat it didn’t impress me since it handles stop signs so loving awful. It creeps up to like a car length before the sign, I know very well it can’t see poo poo, stops, then jerks forward and launches when nothing is coming. It does this at stops lights too and I hate it. I have the profile set to chill and get still, I’m riding a drat coaster before I get to the park. Anyways, speed traps. It sees the sign. It even changes the speed limit before the sign. And yet, it decides to go 1mph slower every few seconds instead of you know, braking or coasting beforehand. So every single town I’m having to manually adjust the speed beforehand and half the time it still decides to barely lose speed. So I just ended up disengaging entirely when I hit a town and then re-engaging once I’d slowed down. And then disengaging because it looked like it’d curb itself.

Back to Autopilot which is amazing, I guess

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Couple of new questions that popped in my head during this discussion:
What does FSD do about cities/districts that have signs that say "roads withing [city] are 50kph unless marked"? Does it have a national geofence database?
Also, how does it handle 4 and 5-way and multi-lane stop signs with cars at all intersecting roads? I can't imagine it doing anything but barging in without considering who's right of way it is.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I wasn't brave stupid enough to even let it try at any stops where there were other vehicles.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Indiana_Krom posted:

I wasn't brave stupid enough to even let it try at any stops where there were other vehicles.

Same. I did it once and it did kinda ok but it didn’t feel trustworthy enough to continue. Also! It loves to see recommended speeds for intersections as actual speed limits. Country roads have tons of these and having to override it was a pain in the rear end. Again, autopilot never had an issue with this the two years I’ve made this exact drive so I don’t know wtf is going on with FSD

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
I too got the FSD free trial. Thus far, in city driving, it’s been very conservative re: speed. It’s tackled a couple of random lanes ending surprisingly well.

There’s one intersection where there should be a turn lane, but there isn’t, so cars will often go into the shoulder somewhat to pass around a vehicle waiting to turn. FSD happily did the same, following two vehicles that did just that. I guess it depends on how comfortable one is with the system fudging the rules in the way human drivers do.

It clearly struggles with sign-controlled intersections - creeping up to the line, creeping a bit more, then slowly moving through the intersection. Fine when you’re the only person there, but it’s behavior that’s going to irritate people behind you and spook everyone else.

I had two times where I forced the system to disengage. One was in a parking lot where it wanted to back into an angled parking spot on the right (WTF?), and one at an intersection where it started to go and another car came around the corner.

The visualizations are surprisingly good, and have seemed to match up well with the actual layout of the roads.

I’ll be driving back to the San Jose area for work this week - it’ll be interesting to see how it handles freeway behavior.

I would say that having used it now myself, I think it’s no better and no worse than a kid with a new learner’s permit - it’s got the basics, but you definitely should keep a close eye on what it’s doing and be ready to intervene - and that’s ultimately not something I think a great many Tesla owners are capable of doing.

TL;DR: it’s wildly incomplete, it’s inappropriately named, it undersells how attentive you have to be, they shouldn’t be charging anyone for it, it’s being shipped to people who aren’t prepared to use it responsibly. And while I can appreciate the work that’s clearly gone into it…that isn’t enough.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Blue Moonlight posted:

u
I would say that having used it now myself, I think it’s no better and no worse than a kid with a new learner’s permit - it’s got the basics, but you definitely should keep a close eye on what it’s doing and be ready to intervene - and that’s ultimately not something I think a great many Tesla owners are capable of doing.

Given that a great number of Tesla drivers where I am are kids with new learner's permits, it doesn't bode well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

It is impressive technically but not useful.