Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My partner’s commute is 3 miles and she takes our car instead of riding a bike. On the bike path. That directly connects her office to our home door to door. In sunny California.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Vegetable posted:

My partner’s commute is 3 miles and she takes our car instead of riding a bike. On the bike path. That directly connects her office to our home door to door. In sunny California.

sounds like your partner is scrub-tier and you should date an AI goon instead :wink:

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

trilobite terror posted:

sounds like your partner is scrub-tier and you should date an AI goon instead :wink:

Nah, she's driving her own car, not getting a lift from her best friend, hollering at folks.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Finger Prince posted:

Nah, she's driving her own car, not getting a lift from her best friend, hollering at folks.

:hmmyes:

drk
Jan 16, 2005
where is the thread where I can complain about how large this thing is

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

drk posted:

where is the thread where I can complain about how large this thing is

Yes it is.

I'm struggling to think of anything I like about this vehicle.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

cruft posted:

Yes it is.

800v architecture?

drk
Jan 16, 2005

cruft posted:

Yes it is.

They might loan you a S or X when it is inevitably in service?

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Vegetable posted:

It's annoying to be sure the bikers get so yelly telling me YOU DON'T BELONG HERE this path is for BIKES whenever I do that.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

cruft posted:

Yes it is.

I saw one painted matte black when leaving a theme park yesterday and it looked like 2% less worse?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's nice that someone took a risk with styling I guess

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Tesla just texted me about the Model Y 0.99% APR, they must be desperate.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
the stainless one i saw was already super dirty, the metal seemed to hold on to both dirt and finger grime very well

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Spikes32 posted:

Recap - we have a nema 6r-20L receptacle in the garage on a 20 amp circuit. We bought a id4 that came with a nema 14-50 charger.

If we change the receptacle, can we swap it to a 14-50 even though it would only be running on a 20 amp line? Or would we need to change it to a normal nema 6-20 receptacle and then buy a 6-20 charger? Trying to see if we can save 300 bucks or not.

My car's 14-50 charger came with a swappable plug head to 3 prong. I'm guessing you checked for that already

The J1772 protocol communicates the maximum safe current to the EV. In an OpenEVSE system you can set this manually, in a system that swaps plug heads I would guess that there's a pin in each head that specifies the safe amperage for that plug head (e.g. 40A for a 14-50, probably 8A for 3-prong). You should also be able to set the car's maximum requested current, I think that should be a standard feature but YMMV.

Don't change the receptacle without also changing to a new circuit breaker with properly gauged wiring, that would be unsafe otherwise. Maybe research your EVSE to see if the manufacturer sells or provides either a swappable head or an adapter that's designed to communicate a different current draw to the EVSE circuit.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 18, 2024

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
They don't take up precious Electrify America charging stations :)

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

The only time I charged my Model 3 at an Electrify America station* was to make sure my CCS1 adapter worked.

*I charged my Energica on them a few times.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

QuarkJets posted:

Don't change the receptacle without also changing the circuit breaker, that would be unsafe. Maybe research your EVSE to see if the manufacturer sells or provides either a swappable head or an adapter that's designed to communicate a different current draw to the EVSE circuit.

It's a VW OEM charger, which only comes with a big 14-50 adapter, and a normal 5-15 120V plug, which is kinda a disappointment, and there's no variable current setting, also a bummer.

The user's manual does have this bizarre warning though.

quote:

Operate and store the charging cable with display unit at an altitude of maximum

13.123 ft (4000 m) above sea level.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

QuarkJets posted:

My car's 14-50 charger came with a swappable plug head to 3 prong. I'm guessing you checked for that already

The J1772 protocol communicates the maximum safe current to the EV. In an OpenEVSE system you can set this manually, in a system that swaps plug heads I would guess that there's a pin in each head that specifies the safe amperage for that plug head (e.g. 40A for a 14-50, probably 8A for 3-prong). You should also be able to set the car's maximum requested current, I think that should be a standard feature but YMMV.

Don't change the receptacle without also changing the circuit breaker, that would be unsafe. Maybe research your EVSE to see if the manufacturer sells or provides either a swappable head or an adapter that's designed to communicate a different current draw to the EVSE circuit.

My Emporia will fix max draw at 12A, 16A, 20A, 24A, 28A, 32A, 36A, 40A, 44A or 48A, software selectable and changeable. I would think it would make sense just to invest in that because you wouldn't have to spend more money on a new EVSE when/if you upgraded the circuit.

I think hardwire would be a go, but I also feel like there is a possibility to just replace the plug and still be safe/to code. It's already designed to be removed and replaced with hardwiring.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Elviscat posted:

The user's manual does have this bizarre warning though.

The LCD probably fails at high altitude.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

QuarkJets posted:

Don't change the receptacle without also changing the circuit breaker, that would be unsafe.

Changing the breaker is even more unsafe. If you change the receptacle and the breaker, then you’re guaranteed to fry the 20A rated wiring in between.

(I know you were referring to setting the EVSE to a lower current, but that’s not good enough. All it takes is that getting reset or someone unknowingly plugging in a welder and your house is done for.)

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cenodoxus posted:

Changing the breaker is even more unsafe. If you change the receptacle and the breaker, then you’re guaranteed to fry the 20A rated wiring in between.

Sorry, I meant to say "the circuit" - not just the breaker

If your circuit breakers are in the garage already then that may be pretty easy

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Cenodoxus posted:

(I know you were referring to setting the EVSE to a lower current, but that’s not good enough. All it takes is that getting reset or someone unknowingly plugging in a welder and your house is done for.)

It's fine to set an EVSE to whatever current the circuit can provide, that's, like, the point of variable current settings.

You can also use a 6-50 or 14-50 on a branch circuit rated for less than 50 amps by code. Welders are a good example, since they typically come with a 6-50 plug, but draw far less than that.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Three Olives posted:

My Emporia will fix max draw at 12A, 16A, 20A, 24A, 28A, 32A, 36A, 40A, 44A or 48A, software selectable and changeable. I would think it would make sense just to invest in that because you wouldn't have to spend more money on a new EVSE when/if you upgraded the circuit.

I think hardwire would be a go, but I also feel like there is a possibility to just replace the plug and still be safe/to code. It's already designed to be removed and replaced with hardwiring.

I (incredibly) agree with 3O here. Though I'd go with a Grizzle-E, they use dip switches to physically set max current draw, are reasonably priced, and very simple in operation. You could get the classic, set it to 16A on that 20A 240V circuit you have, and if you ever decide you want to flip the bill for a bigger circuit, just up the current settings.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Elviscat posted:

I (incredibly) agree with 3O here. Though I'd go with a Grizzle-E, they use dip switches to physically set max current draw, are reasonably priced, and very simple in operation. You could get the classic, set it to 16A on that 20A 240V circuit you have, and if you ever decide you want to flip the bill for a bigger circuit, just up the current settings.

It's always rough the first couple of times but eventually you learn to relax, get a lot of frequent pleasure from it and wonder why you were so reluctant in the first place.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Since I'm bored, 210.21.(B).(1) of NFPA 70 states:

quote:

A single receptacle installed on an individual branch circuit shall have an ampere rating not less than that of the branch circuit.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

DoLittle posted:

When comparing Tesla fatality statistics they should be normalized for vehicle age and price etc.

Traffic fatalities tend to be heavily biased towards older and cheaper vehicles. For example, here’s some local statistics that are a bit old for number of fatalities over a period of time vs. vehicle age.

Thus comparing Tesla fatalities against total traffic accidents gives way too rosy results for Tesla. Any newish vehicle outside of extreme outliers should perform much better than average car in such comparisons.

according to this graph I need a 24 year old car?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm pretty sure I posted about it when the data was freshly released, but we actually have high-quality large scale data on Model 3 driver deaths in the US now, published as part of the IIHS's reports in 2023: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/driver-death-rates-by-make-and-model

The Model 3, as a midsize luxury car, does a little worse than average for the segment. RWD model 3s had a much lower death rate than AWD Model 3s. It isn't an outlier by driver deaths alone. The most dangerous car on the road is the Nissan Altima, now that one's a death machine.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Those confidence intervals make the data almost entirely useless

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Vegetable posted:

Those confidence intervals make the data almost entirely useless

This is also the biggest study of its kind, so it's the best we've got for now. I don't know how you'd do better than it given that models change, older cars are often less safe than newer, and there are so many different models of car out there. Any numbers that don't have confidence intervals on them are just simply logging how many people died in X model in a given year.

quote:

A vehicle must have at least 100,000 registered vehicle years or at least 20 deaths in the four-year study period to be included. To increase the sample size and thereby improve the accuracy of the calculations, results are included for earlier model years (up to three) if the vehicle wasn’t substantially redesigned during that time. This is indicated in the model-year span column.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Big Altima Energy

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wH2LkFlXGlw

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Twerk from Home posted:

I'm pretty sure I posted about it when the data was freshly released, but we actually have high-quality large scale data on Model 3 driver deaths in the US now, published as part of the IIHS's reports in 2023: https://www.iihs.org/ratings/driver-death-rates-by-make-and-model

The Model 3, as a midsize luxury car, does a little worse than average for the segment. RWD model 3s had a much lower death rate than AWD Model 3s. It isn't an outlier by driver deaths alone. The most dangerous car on the road is the Nissan Altima, now that one's a death machine.

Lexus ES350 is pure evil, protects its driver but kills other people.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
That Kia optima other-driver mortality is insane.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

toyota is so goddamn good at making cars. they're bad at making sexy gimmicks that sell cars, but god drat can they engineer them beautifully

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

just absolutely dunking on everyone else's numbers in that list. the 93 bulls of 2018-2020 model year auto crash safety

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Thankfully cybertruck reliability is so poor they won't have a chance to run up the other driver death rate with their sharpened edges of hardened steel just going everywhere in a collision. (They will be safely nestled in a service centre or otherwise undriveable)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Doom Rooster posted:

800v architecture?

Ya, there are some real wins for Tesla hiding in the Cybertruck. It’s a shame about you know, most of it.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
So today I finally pulled the stalk on my Full Self Driving (Supervised) trial. What the gently caress! People actually pay for this poo poo?

Now sure, when you are driving on a unpainted road that is mostly straight or just some mild curves its fine, no problem, lane keep that works adequately even when there is no painted lane markers, fine, okay, no problem. But making turns, navigating intersections, stopping for stop signs, anything not a simple road, I think it failed or I involuntarily stepped on the brake on like 5 out of 7 turns I even attempted (all on mostly empty back roads). It came up on turns like super fast, like its about to turn off the road it is on into a side road at like 200 feet from the intersection and it just now decides it is time to decelerate from 57 MPH, so it brakes way later and thus has to slow down way harder than I would have. Also apparently every sign with a multiple of the number 5 is now a speed limit sign, even if the number is only 5.

Yeah, that was significantly more stressful than just driving myself.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
Just walked by a Kia EV9 in person yesterday. I liked the photos I've seen of it before, but seeing it in person, the thing looks kinda weird. It's big and angular, but seems overdesigned and somehow under detailed at the same time.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Indiana_Krom posted:

Yup.

Not bad on the highway, though, provided the speed limit isn't 65.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

So today I finally pulled the stalk on my Full Self Driving (Supervised) trial. What the gently caress! People actually pay for this poo poo?

Now sure, when you are driving on a unpainted road that is mostly straight or just some mild curves its fine, no problem, lane keep that works adequately even when there is no painted lane markers, fine, okay, no problem. But making turns, navigating intersections, stopping for stop signs, anything not a simple road, I think it failed or I involuntarily stepped on the brake on like 5 out of 7 turns I even attempted (all on mostly empty back roads). It came up on turns like super fast, like its about to turn off the road it is on into a side road at like 200 feet from the intersection and it just now decides it is time to decelerate from 57 MPH, so it brakes way later and thus has to slow down way harder than I would have. Also apparently every sign with a multiple of the number 5 is now a speed limit sign, even if the number is only 5.

How fast will FSD go? Does it go a certain ratio over the speed limit, a fixed offset over the limit, or try and match traffic if there is any?

I'm just wondering if it's dumb enough to merge into I-255 and try and go Autobahn speeds, or how it handles things like the 85mph limits outside Austin.

The people mentioning that it's slow to adjust to big speed limit changes make me wonder how you aren't getting nailed by speed traps all the time, I've driven through so many small towns where the abrupt drop from 65 or 70mph to 35mph means everyone who isn't under 40mph is getting a ticket.

Edit: the other part of this equation is efficiency too, it burns a ton more energy to drive 85mph over 70mph.