Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It's that time again, the longest running single elimination tournament in wrestling (maybe) for a shot at the KO-D Openweight Title. To celebrate this, Sanshiro Takagi has brough back as many former champions as he could, with 7 of the 13 winners returning. Of those that did not return we have two retirements (KUDO and Yukio Sakaguchi), two long terms injuries (Kota Ibushi and Kenny Omega) and two that I guess were just busy (AEW's Konosuke Takeshita and BASARA's Isami Kodaka).

The first show is on live in roughly 5 hours at Korakuen Hall and should be a fantastic time

The Participants (left to right)
Poison Sawada JULIE
- Tournaments Entered: 2
- Best Placement: Winner (2004)

MAO
- Tournaments Entered: 5
- Best Placement: Semi-final (2018)

To-y
- Tournaments Entered: 0
- Best Placement: N/A

KANON
- Best Placement: Round 1 (2022, 2023)

Sanshiro Takagi
- Best Placement: Final (2009)

Yuki Ueno (KO-D Openweight Champion)
- Tournaments Entered: 6
- Best Placement: Semi-final (2022, 2023)

Daisuke Sasaki
- Tournaments Entered: 12
- Best Placement: Winner (2018)

Yukio Naya
- Best Placement: Round 1 (2020, 2022)

Shuji Ishikawa
- Best Placement: Winner (2016)

HARASHIMA
- Tournaments Entered: 14
- Best Placement: Winner (2010, 2013)

Danshoku Dieno
- Best Placement: Final (2012)

Tetsuya Endo
- Tournaments Entered: 7
- Best Placement: Winner (2017, 2020)

Chris Brookes
- Tournaments Entered: 4
- Best Placement: Winner (2023)

Not Pictured
Yuki Iino
- Best Placement: Rd 1 (2018, 2020)

Kazusada Higuchi
- Tournaments Entered: 9
- Best Placement: Winner (2022)

Takeshi Masada
- Tournaments Entered: 1
- Best Placement: Round 1 (2023)

The Bracket with the final four being re-randomised before the May 26th show.

In the first round, I think I am the most excited for Shuji Ishikawa vs HARASHIMA, though both Naya vs Higuchi and Brookes vs Masada have the potential to steal the show as well. Dramatic DDT has done a brilliant write up of the pre-tournament press conference if you like a bit of reading

Dramatic DDT posted:

A press conference was held at yesterday’s DDT fanfest featuring 14 of the 16 entrants in this year’s King Of DDT tournament. Takeshi Masada could not be there due to university commitments but sent in a message. The message said Masada does not want to get knocked out in the first round like he did last year. He will be in the main event against his stablemate Chris Brookes. Masada has learned a lot from being in SCHADENFREUDE International and sees this match as a challenge to surpass his friend. Brookes is last year’s winner and he brought the trophy with him. He is motivated to win the tournament again and go all the way to winning back the KO-D Openweight Title. However he admits he felt a little aimless after he lost the KO-D Title last year. He’s still motivated but felt something was missing.

Elsewhere Tetsuya Endo’s match against Danshoku Dieno has more meaning to it than you would think. Endo’s recent luck in King Of DDT hasn’t been good but he feels he has gotten into shape after winning the New Year’s Eve trios tournament and raching the final of the D-Oh Grand Prix. However Dieno means so much to DDT that Endo admits he is not as good of a pro wrestler as Dieno is. He thinks Dieno does not realize that though and for that reason Endo is confident he will win. Dieno said he is only concentrating on this match and has done a lot of studying for it. His entire game plan is going to be based around Endo using the Burning Star Press. He knows how to avoid it and also how to counter it. The percentage of him succeeding is low but if Dieno can nail the timing of the Burning Star Press being used against him, he can find a way to exploit it and beat Endo.

It’s been a while since a HARASHIMA Vs Shuji Ishikawa match has happened. HARASHIMA is well aware of his big and strong Ishikawa is. He is also a believer that tomorrow is when a person will reach their peak so he will be stronger too. Both of them are evolving so he does not expect the match to be identical to their previous fights against each other. Ishikawa understands it takes a lot of training at his age to keep fit and HARASHIMA is older than he is. He had seen Yuki Ueno wrestle at Korkauen Hall last month and it made him realise all of DDT’s champions right now are young. He intends to last forever though. He also feels emotional about the tournament because he missed so many of them due to his affiliation with Union Pro at the time. When he finally got to have a proper go it was as an independant wrestler in 2016 and he won it that year. His hope is he will face Poison Sawada JULIE in the final.

An illness prevented Kazusada Higuchi from being at the event but he had a message written out for everyone. His thought process is the same, he will take it one match at a time. His 1st Round opponent is Yukio Naya so he will be focused the most on beating him. Naya is trying to repeat his success from the D-Oh Grand Prix so he can get another shot at the KO-D Title. He believes his momentum began when he beat Higuchi at the 2022 D-Oh GP. He wants to beat him again to take his place as the center of DDT’s heavyweight division.

There is a lot going on is Daisuke Sasaki’s mind. He knows if Yuki Iino hits him with the Spear in Round 1 it will be all over for him. However Sasaki realized some of the best wrestlers in the world right now like Jon Moxley, Cody Rhodes and Roman Reigns are all 38 years old. He is 38 years old so that means he is going to win! Iino has never beaten Sasaki in a singles match but is confident he can do it because of the Spear. He doesn’t know what direction it will come from but he will hit it. Also if age is a factor then Iino at 29 is the same as Shohei Ohtani and Yuzuru Hanyu. That means he is going to win, not Sasaki!

Sanshiro Takagi’s entry into the tournament has caught the attention of the wrestling press because of his age and also who he is facing in Round 1. The 54 year old is taking on the KO-D Champion Yuki Ueno! He told Ueno that when he was his age it was a year into DDT’s existence and he worked as hard as he could to keep the company from collapsing. He wants to fight Ueno like he is 28 again. In order to do that he is thinking about visiting beauty salons and saunas to build up his stamina for a possible 60 minute long match. He also wants to keep his promise to Konosuke Takeshita. The promise is Takagi wins the KO-D Title one more time, Takeshita wins a singles title in AEW and the two of them will have a champion versus champion match together. Takeshita recently showing intentions to challenge for the IWGP World Heavyweight Title has only made Takagi’s wish become stronger. Ueno’s entire reign as champion has been about him proving he is the ace of DDT. Fighting the company president continues that story and will provide a look into DDT’s future. He will be in the main event of next week’s “ALL TOGETHER” show and wants to convey the fun that DDT brings to wrestling at that event.

It is To-y’s dream to win the KO-D Title so he is all revved up to be in the King Of DDT. KANON was unusually serious when he talked about looking forward to the match. He offered a handshake but To-y didn’t trust him. That caused KANON to burst into tears and claim he was told by Hideki Okatani to win the tournament. He then flipped out and attacked To-y putting him in the Cobra Twist. To-y promised to get revenge afterward.

There is a lot of nostalgia surrounding this year’s tournament because it is the 20th anniversary of the first one. The very first winner Poison Sawada JULIE is not feeling that nostalgia. He knows just how clever and tricky MAO is to fight. He is going to be careful but is confident he will win because of his magic spells. MAO said this year’s tournament is the turning point of DDT and he is that turning point. He has a counter for Sawada’s spells and that is to point somewhere so Sawada loses attention and then punch him in the face. Sawada sees the funny side of MAO’s idea and suggested the entire match just be them casting spells at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Hoping Ueno wins, challenges himself to a title match and gets 5 stars for the match.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

I believe the Big Dawg can get his second tournament win

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I haven't watched much DDT, but what I have watched, I've generally enjoyed. I happen to be in Tokyo right now so I've procured tickets for this show.

I know that DDT has a pretty wide range of styles, but I assume this one will be a little more serious?

Anyone know if there's an English version of DDTs event rules somewhere? My quick googling was not successful.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Nativity In Black posted:

I haven't watched much DDT, but what I have watched, I've generally enjoyed. I happen to be in Tokyo right now so I've procured tickets for this show.

I know that DDT has a pretty wide range of styles, but I assume this one will be a little more serious?

Anyone know if there's an English version of DDTs event rules somewhere? My quick googling was not successful.

Yeah i'd say most of the matches will be pretty serious, with the likely exceptions of JULIE vs MAO and Dieno vs Endo. Julie is from the early days of DDT when they were a supercharged attitude era and has a spell casting gimmick, which MAO said he would reciprocate. Danshoku Dieno will never show his serious side which is a real shame since he's got amateur credentials, if he didn't do it the last couple of times he challenged for the title I very much doubt he will for a first round match.

Afraid I can't help with the event rules, the only DDT show I went to when I was in Japan was a free outdoor show and that was basically line up and get a wristband you can claim a chair with. They didn't seem to have an issue with my tattoos if that was more what you were thinking, I know Stardom has it written that they can't be showing. Korakuen hall was pretty easy to get around when I went to see All Japan, all the signs nearby are in English and there is both an elevator and a stairwell to get up to the 5th floor for the show, and showing my tickets to the attendant got me to my seat without a fuss

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Stream is live with the preshow matches

quote:

DDT King of DDT 1st Round
Korakuen Hall, TOKYO
Prelim: Ilusion, Kazuma Sumi & Rukiya vs Keigo Nakamura, Yuni & Yuya Koroku
Prelim: Akito, Kazuki Hirata & Shunma Katsumata vs Jun Akiyama, Makoto Oishi & Tomomitsu Matsunaga
King of DDT 1st Round: MAO vs Poison Sawada JULIE
King of DDT 1st Round: KANON vs To-y
King of DDT 1st Round: Sanshiro Takagi vs Yuki Ueno
King of DDT 1st Round: Daisuke Saskaki vs Yuki Iino
King of DDT 1st Round: Kazusada Higuchi vs Yukio Naya
King of DDT 1st Round: HARASHIMA vs Shuji Ishikawa
King of DDT 1st Round: Danshoku Dieno vs Tetsuya Endo
King of DDT 1st Round: Chris Brookes vs Takeshi Masada

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Hell yeah Keigo Nakamura got the win

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Just got in, time for wrasslin'! :woop:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Tokyo... :ohdear:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Uncle Jun's face :lol:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Yelling at the referee too, ahaha

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He broke up the loving pin :bisonyes:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

If only Hirata weren't so dreadfully weak

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

He loves it

e: HAHAHA Perfect

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh my God :lol:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

HARASHIMA ages so goddamn gracefully, he still looks the same as he did in 2010

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Still thinking about how Uncle Jun's dance was ROBBED from us by his ungrateful teammates!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

JULIE is still so powerful after so long away!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Oh Matsui :ohdear:

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

INVISIBLE EXPLOSIVE BAT

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The crowd is too close, they're not taking these explosive warnings seriously!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Art

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

And now for something completely different

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

they're selling To-y's offence as more fighting spirit than strength, but he's sure coloured up Kanon's chest

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Living up to the Kojima name

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Really enjoying this one, KANON can be very hit or miss with me but he's a great bully

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

And just like that KANON is out int he first round for a third straight tournament

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Hell yeah To-y!

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

That was fun. Really got the sense of To-y snatching the pin and not being sure how he did it.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

TJPW and All Together tomorrow, it's gonna be a good day

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Remember that Takagi promised Takeshita that they would face each other one more time when they became champs of their respective companies, and to do that he needs to go through the champ today

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

SG Bamboo posted:

Remember that Takagi promised Takeshita that they would face each other one more time when they became champs of their respective companies, and to do that he needs to go through the champ today

But Ueno needs to win so that he can face himself for his title down the road!

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
why is this match like this?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
straight in the dang head

edit: twice!

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Takagi forcing Ueno to use a proper finisher to beat him

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
these lazy kickouts lmao

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

HAHAHA what the gently caress

that is absolutely the wrong choice

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

:what:

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
wow I'm getting NOAH flashbacks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I mean, the crowd is super happy, but loving seriously?