Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
you know how k-pop groups will have dozens of members and send them to different cities in different configurations so one “group” can be touring in 5 cities at once?

Expand the Lakers and Celtics to 225 roster spots each and contract the other teams, that way every game every night can be a classic rivalry matchup between two storied franchises

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
If you want to help the defense out put a sixth player on the court.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

BiggerBoat posted:

Where do Shaq, Ewing, Moses, McHale, Parish, Yao Ming, either Gasol brother, or even Tim Duncan and David Robinson fit into today's game is what I wonder about and have fun picturing.

Tim Duncan played effectively as an old man in 2015, he would still be a HOF'er easily if he started his career then. Marc Gasol was an all star twice after 2015 and a starter on a championship team in 2019. I think there's some time dilation on those.

Yao seems like he'd play as a bigger Embiid. He shot a decent amount of 20-footers, so no reason to assume he couldn't hit 3s at an acceptable rate. Also hurt all the time, of course.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice
- you can pants guys now. body contact is still illegal but if you can snatch their trunks clean, it’s all good

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
There is probably some random subtle change out there that would fix everything. Make the inbound rule 4 seconds instead of 5 and reduce the 8 second rule to cross half court down the 6. It would encourage a lot more pressing, everyone is more tired, and shots fall at a lower rate.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you dunk so hard the basket breaks you instantly win

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The biggest problem with the NBA this season was that the Warriors, Lakers and Suns had the most nationally broadcast games.

Hopefully we get more ANT, SGA, etc in primetime next year

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
I'd let it fix itself by legalizing sport betting but not creating a reliable regulatory structure to make sure it's not corrupted.

ssmagus
Apr 2, 2010
Assmagus, LPer ass-traordinaire
One change I'll would make is that the clock resumes as soon as the person at the line for free throws receives the ball from the Ref, but if you don't shoot within 3 secs it's a turnover and you lose all free throws.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i don't know if this is strictly nba related, but suspending the Duke University basketball program could potentially create positive externalities on the nba

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
More clock shenanigans

- Shot clock resets to 5 seconds on an offensive rebound to reduce the luck factor and reward good initial possession defense. It also makes it harder to reset for a 3 so mid range becomes slightly more valuable
- Reduce the shot clock from 24 down to 18 to increase overall possessions

I think one of the core issues with the nba today is variance, there aren’t enough possessions in a game to compensate for the higher 3 point shooting rate and so two evenly matched teams could easily trade 20 point blowout wins for an entire playoff series. Scoring imo isn’t an issue, if there’s a close game I’d rather see teams trade buckets rather than defensive stops.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

someone probably said shorter season but i think thatd be good. 65 games.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Players should be legally allowed to bet on themselves

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
Ban gambling by fans but legalize it for players

Make it so under 2 minutes, non shooting fouls are 3 free throws so that the end of games aren't so drat tedious

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Replace OT with a dunk contest.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Put Grayson Allen in the prison from face/off

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
The Minnesota - Denver game tonight pretty much single handedly disproved most of the talking points in this thread.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Squinky v2.0 posted:

you know how k-pop groups will have dozens of members and send them to different cities in different configurations so one “group” can be touring in 5 cities at once?

Expand the Lakers and Celtics to 225 roster spots each and contract the other teams, that way every game every night can be a classic rivalry matchup between two storied franchises

excuse me but with extremely rare exception, that's j-pop

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Shift changes like hockey, entire lineups go on and off the court while the ball is in play

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
This is a fruitful line of thought - New position: goal tender. A player that can camp out in the restricted area. You can pull them if you need to put a 6th man on the floor for scoring purposes.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
Use the red-white-and-blue ABA ball in every game. that's it.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
do the nickelodeon NFL broadcasts but for the NBA Finals

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007
multiball

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
make monkeu commissioner

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I think in 50 years people will look back at Steph Curry and the 3-point "revolution" and think why the gently caress did teams not shoot a million threes in the 80s.

End of the day I think everything is just built around "do you like watching threes or not" because the modern offense of the NBA is, imo, really is more team oriented and seeing where you can find the weak leaks in a team's total defense, moving the ball as much as possible until someone is juuuust a bit too late and you can get an open shot. I really like watching that. And when you watch Denver/Minn from last night it is all about watching the greatest offensive mastermind trying to break down this collective defense effort and coming up short.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

birdstrike posted:

make monkeu commissioner

A Drake stan as commissioner is music to Josh Giddey's ears

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
The biggest reason you think NBA in the 90s was better was because you were 30 years younger and there was way less stuff on TV/to do. The ratings drop you reference has happened to every TV program and in particular mimics hockey so I don't think any of that has anything to do with the product on the floor.

The NBA is awesome, the TV zeitgeist is different but mostly your older.

Traxis posted:

The biggest problem with the NBA this season was that the Warriors, Lakers and Suns had the most nationally broadcast games.

No joke, the NBA is needs to stop doubling down on the best players from 6 years ago. I know that worked forever with Lebron.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The NBA in the 90s was measurably better because the Bulls had Jordan and killed everyone and now it sucks because the Bulls are bad and run by dummies.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Thinking about the aesthetics of five out space-oriented basketball as the bulls are set up to win one game in the play-in tournament for eternity.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 15:54 on May 5, 2024

Carwash Cunt
Aug 21, 2007

I feel like I shouldn't give this idea away, because it will actually fix the 3 or look for foul problem with modern NBA, but gently caress it...

Change the 3 point shot. As long as the ball has not touched the floor inside the 3 point line, a bucket is worth 3 points. Lobs are cool. 2 quick passes to an easy layup are fun to watch. Breakaway dunks where someone launches from beyond free throw line for 3 points are cool.

There you go.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Carwash oval office posted:

I feel like I shouldn't give this idea away, because it will actually fix the 3 or look for foul problem with modern NBA, but gently caress it...

Change the 3 point shot. As long as the ball has not touched the floor inside the 3 point line, a bucket is worth 3 points. Lobs are cool. 2 quick passes to an easy layup are fun to watch. Breakaway dunks where someone launches from beyond free throw line for 3 points are cool.

There you go.

That'd just make the game more clogged up. If the ball went inside the line then the paint would get clogged and you'd be less likely to get dunks or movement. So the strategy there would be mostly to just go one dimensional and launch the ball and the game would grind down a lot more.

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Illuminate the backboard randomly between green, yellow and red. If the ball goes in the basket when the light is red then the basket doesn't count and the largest guy on the floor gets to punch the shooter in the arm. And two more for flinching

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The NBA needs to legalize taunting. Ant getting a T for just looking at Reggie Jackson was lame as hell.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Traxis posted:

The NBA needs to legalize taunting. Ant getting a T for just looking at Reggie Jackson was lame as hell.

Never understood why you would defang your players' ability to market for free like that, fans love that poo poo, everybody knows Dikembe's finger wag

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
you're a dumbass op.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Doltos posted:

Again he's a Sixers fan

we do not claim him

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I changed my answer, I would contract the Magic

GoonGPT
May 26, 2006

Posting for a better future, today!
Replace the court with trampolines, so simple

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Adopt pro Thunderball rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba_G-jDxc7Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

GoutPatrol posted:

I think in 50 years people will look back at Steph Curry and the 3-point "revolution" and think why the gently caress did teams not shoot a million threes in the 80s.

End of the day I think everything is just built around "do you like watching threes or not" because the modern offense of the NBA is, imo, really is more team oriented and seeing where you can find the weak leaks in a team's total defense, moving the ball as much as possible until someone is juuuust a bit too late and you can get an open shot. I really like watching that. And when you watch Denver/Minn from last night it is all about watching the greatest offensive mastermind trying to break down this collective defense effort and coming up short.

The game is significantly more tactically complicated and varied than it was in the 90s and, due to increased skill and athleticism across the board, everything is also happening much faster. This means for the 'average joe' it's probably harder than ever to process a game on a strategic level.

The NBA needs to do a better job of teaching the game to its casual audience. Unfortunately due to the inherent fast pace of the sport it's more difficult to do proper analysis during a telecast than in the NFL for example, but they still need to try. The first step is they need to stop letting the networks hire analysts and talking heads who poo poo on the modern game (fuelled almost entirely by bitterness and jealousy).

But all of this contributes to the feeling from less engaged folk who just want to turn the TV on and watch the playoffs that "it's all just three point shooting now" versus the NBA-heads subscribed to five podcasts and three YouTube channels arguing in November about whether the Wizards should run more Spain sets.