Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

hakeem was the poster child for Could Play In The Modern Nba for the longest, he was already switchable even back then and could almost certainly extend his range.

most of the top tier 80s bigs could play today as long as they could move their feet about as well as like, domatas sabonis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mean Baby posted:

I don't see a lot of traveling and I don't care about carrying. This feels like something my grandpa would say. I prefer cross overs and euros.

Both are rampant and I see them all the time so maybe you're just used to it and that's the new normal. And, yes, this IS something your grandpa would say, in fact. Carrying makes it easier to drive (and cross over). I like cross overs too but think it should be done legally. If the rules were enforced as written, scoring would be much harder; especially penetration. My fave cross over of all time was Iverson crossing up Jordan but it wasn't a legal dribble. Euros are mostly fine too, they just look weird and Embiid and Jokic do them all the time, where two steps look like three and cover strange distances.

I also have a hard on for WR push offs in the NFL that are also rarely called. Also blatant holds. I like all the poo poo you like but also very much enjoy a level playing field when it comes to offense and defense. But points drive ratings.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Ghost Dog posted:

hakeem was the poster child for Could Play In The Modern Nba for the longest, he was already switchable even back then and could almost certainly extend his range.

most of the top tier 80s bigs could play today as long as they could move their feet about as well as like, domatas sabonis

Good comparisons actually.

Here's what I talk about. From some young YT posters. Travelling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fFWawcJXUw

Carrying

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3xxP9etprw

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 20:10 on May 4, 2024

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

if ur worried about traveling you may just have terminal old man baller brain.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Again he's a Sixers fan and just lost to Brunson pulling up under Oubre. He's upset his team lost and his complaints are mainly centered around how the Sixers just lost.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the sixers lost cause embiid is a flopping fraud rear end loser bitch who lost his smile

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

BiggerBoat posted:

Both are rampant and I see them all the time so maybe you're just used to it and that's the new normal. And, yes, this IS something your grandpa would say, in fact. Carrying makes it easier to drive (and cross over). I like cross overs too but think it should be done legally. If the rules were enforced as written, scoring would be much harder; especially penetration. My fave cross over of all time was Iverson crossing up Jordan but it wasn't a legal dribble. Euros are mostly fine too, they just look weird and Embiid and Jokic do them all the time, where two steps look like three and cover strange distances.

I also have a hard on for WR push offs in the NFL that are also rarely called. Also blatant holds. I like all the poo poo you like but also very much enjoy a level playing field when it comes to offense and defense. But points drive ratings.

Yeah, i mean the way continuous dribbling is defined (and there's actually a lot more leeway in the rules than people care to admit) has changed over the years, and i mostly think it's for the better, though I do think like the double step backs are kinda nutty based on a weird intepretation of when the dribble actually ends, that's where a lot of the 'travels' come from, at which step is the dribble considered ended.

I will say guys like Horace Grant would probably have been fine, someone would have just told them to work on their 3 point shot to stay in the league, and he probably would've done it. I think of Moses Malone, Sampson, Seikaly, a lot of guys who were quite stationary and that was fine for the 90s level of spacing but today they'd just end up having to defend more than they want. The guys i mentioned before aren't just slow, they also just don't have good enough instincts to be like Brook Lopez and just know the good angles to play on in the drop coverage that somewhat protects his bad foot speed.

I also don't think a lot of travels get called unless the refs see a really goofy motion on the player's part because they can't afford to stare at a player's feet.

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

I'd fix the NBA by moving the nets on the ground and enlarging them to 6'x4'. Also you have to skate on ice to make things interesting.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I would simply build a time machine to 20 years ago and import the NBA from then.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

two lebrons

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I would fix the nba by giving the bulls a psychopath basketball superstar who wins the championship every year.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I would let the caterpillar on AD's forehead turn into the butterfly it deserves to be

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
For the complaints that basketball is nothing two teams shooting three's and not playing defense, my question is how many points do they want scored in a regulation game? No one wants to go back to the early '00s days of 70-80 points to win (except for true sickos) and I get the feeling that most people will settle around 100 points since it's a nice big round number that means a lot. To that extent, see what the average points per possession for teams is and then determine the number of possessions needed to get there. To do that, you could extend the length of the shot clock since the more time teams have to get into their set plays, the more time they'll take and that will naturally limit the number of possessions and scoring chances.

I don't think extending the arc will do much, there's already not much more room on the sidelines. I would genuinely need a G-League season with any kind of four-point line to make a determination there, I get the feeling that even the most open-minded of teams would hesitate to take more than a handful of fours depending on where the line would end up.

As for the volume of games, I get the feeling that the NBA agrees that the season is too long but they don't want to reduce the number of games since that gives them less inventory to sell. Their first solution was the IST and to try and make some regular season games mean something more. The jury is still out but given that the Lakers' winning is considered more of a meme than an actual accomplishment, I don't think the early returns are positive. The second solution was to tie postseason awards to playing time and while that had the early return of having the stars play more regular season games, now the big names are missing in the Playoffs when the league really wants them front and center. I know cause =/= correlation and we need more data but I'd imagine there's even more pushback from the NBAPA over this solution not being the answer.

And again, bring back the Sonics you cowards.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

the league significantly improved once the sonics moved so if they get a team again they need to promptly move, preferably to baltimore

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Mean Baby posted:

Collectivize the league and get rid of all the lovely owners. Ban gambling. Reduce ticket prices. Provide a low cost, good streaming app without local blackouts. Call more flopping fouls and more no calls. Go back to 5 games in the first round. Make the in-season tournament an actual tournament.

Agreed with everything but the last point.

Anyway, league's mostly fine, though I do think the refs kinda suck. I'm not sure I'm down with how incidental contact is called, like, slamming into a guy as they go into a shot is a no-call but a player tripping while you defend them is a foul, but not sure that ever gets fixed. Honestly, pretty good product. They just need to not endlessly gently caress with the All-Star Game and force actual stars to be in the dunk contest. Also not a huge fan of the in-season tournament, too gimmicky, but the play-in has proven to be an excellent idea, greatly pleased with it.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

the league significantly improved once the sonics moved so if they get a team again they need to promptly move, preferably to baltimore

I think Los Angeles needs a team to counterbalance the Lakers. There's this basketball void in the city and we need to fill it.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

i will fight you

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

maxey traveled

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I think Los Angeles needs a team to counterbalance the Lakers. There's this basketball void in the city and we need to fill it.

it is one of the most underserved basketball cities in america, what with the historic failure that is the los Angeles lakers. finally the fans in la can have something to cheer for

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Ghost Dog posted:

it is one of the most underserved basketball cities in america, what with the historic failure that is the los Angeles lakers. finally the fans in la can have something to cheer for

i'm glad we're on the same page. it's why lebron came here in the first place. to give the downtrodden hope and to lift us up out of despair!

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Getting the Cavs a championship is easy, but fixing the Buss Blunders after all their struggles? That's true heart of the champions stuff.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

LOL. The LA Lakers have one of the most storied and decorated histories in all of NBA basketball with an All Time starting five that could crush anybody else's. The gently caress are you babies whining or even talking about? Cry me a loving river the god damned Lakers.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

are you sure you didnt get confused? the perennial play in lakers? are you thinking of the denver nuggets

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

LOL. The LA Lakers have one of the most storied and decorated histories in all of NBA basketball with an All Time starting five that could crush anybody else's. The gently caress are you babies whining or even talking about? Cry me a loving river the god damned Lakers.

You made a thread crying about the rules because your team lost

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Panzeh posted:

I will say guys like Horace Grant would probably have been fine, someone would have just told them to work on their 3 point shot to stay in the league, and he probably would've done it. I think of Moses Malone, Sampson, Seikaly, a lot of guys who were quite stationary and that was fine for the 90s level of spacing but today they'd just end up having to defend more than they want. The guys i mentioned before aren't just slow, they also just don't have good enough instincts to be like Brook Lopez and just know the good angles to play on in the drop coverage that somewhat protects his bad foot speed.

Yeah, that's kind of the type of players I'm wondering about. Except I'm mostly imagining enshrined HoF guys and what they might look like today. Someone brought up Olajuwon and I agree. I think he could excel in any era. Sampson and Seikaly were already limited, even in their time. Karl Malone would be fine today. Barkley, Iverson...Drexler might even be BETTER if he developed a more consisten three ball. Penny Hardaway would fit right in. Kobe would lead the league in scoring consistently. Garnett would be good. Vince Carter is in there for sure. Ray Allen.

Where do Shaq, Ewing, Moses, McHale, Parish, Yao Ming, either Gasol brother, or even Tim Duncan and David Robinson fit into today's game is what I wonder about and have fun picturing.

Metapod posted:

Nah...I'm used to my team losing.

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

Metapod posted:

old man ball vs old man, bawls

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Now that I’ve thought about it more they should add 5 teams and move the 76ers to the G league

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Slamball trampoline and rules imho

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Less foul calls somehow. Like if you launch into someone at full speed and their arms are fully up, don't call a foul on the defense, even if the feet aren't set. This would make the game a thousand percent more watchable.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Make the season shorter and the hoops smaller and let one player on each team carry a gun.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

point

line

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Get rid of this dumbass play-in system for the playoffs. They played 82 games, that's plenty enough to decide who the best 16 teams are.

Also jesus gently caress more than half the league in the playoffs? Surely we can get that down to 12

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

first round was good. playoff system ain't broke.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

How dare you insult the championship starved people of Los Angeles of The City of Angels. You can't possibly understand what we're going through because you're a big crybaby loser who doesn't know what winning feels like. Lol, lmao.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
let the fans vote each year to decide which player should be sent to the euroleague.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

I still remember the Lakers somehow wriggling into the 2001 finals and all my hope being shattered when the Sixers were allowed to maul them that first game. We'll just never be able to shed the NBA's East Coast bias and its hatred of small-market Inglewood. We managed to go far with a team of Tyronn Lue, Rick Fox, and the dissicated corpse of Ron Harper, and the universe simply said, "No." And now we have Sixers fans whining? Cry me a river. Poor Lue got stepped over, and you're inconsolate over Embiid.

Finals chokes like that or why I'm a Mavs fan now. Couldn't endure that again, and thankfully, don't have to.

Probably Magic fucked around with this message at 00:00 on May 5, 2024

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

1). Move the Celtics to Brazil

2). No more dunk contest, the award goes to best dunk within the ASG itself

3). Playoffs use NBA Street rules where you get to pick one guy from the team you beat to take with you into the next round

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

aye ye’ve posted cringe son

shrinking the hoop is a wild suggestion

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Three balls worth 1, 2, and 3 points apiece, 12 on 12 games, everyone has to wear wedges, no stoppages

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Declan MacManus posted:

aye ye’ve posted cringe son

shrinking the hoop is a wild suggestion

I somehow missed that lol. You know what people love watching? Missed layups and bricks. The people would line up from far and wide!