Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Look all I want is a 2015 Royals equivalent bullpen. Is that so much to ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Popete posted:

Look all I want is a 2015 Royals equivalent bullpen. Is that so much to ask?

Wade Davis appears to be available.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

This is ultimately gonna be the long-term execution of the Cubs' bullpen. We have like 10 starters, naturally some of them are going to turn into relievers just by virtue of not having room. I'm still eagerly and anxiously awaiting the inevitable Weznasty Closer Experiment but I guess that has to wait until some folks get off the IL.

barring further injuries or setbacks, Steele/Shota/Taillon/Horton will make up 80% of the eventual rotation and I would like to see Assad as the fifth piece. You figure out where former starters Brown/Keegan/Weznasty/Adbert are most effective in the bullpen and supplement them with Neris, Leiter, Almonte, and probably Luke Little. That's a fine squad.

edit: this post intentionally ignored Hendricks and Smyly but forgot about Jordan Wicks entirely

Are you talking about this year or going forward regarding Brown? Has the org said they're moving off him as an SP?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Poque posted:

once his 81 ERA comes down more in line with his 3.14 FIP we'll be in good shape

It's rough when your position player pitcher has to get taken out for another position player pitcher

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Inspector_666 posted:

Are you talking about this year or going forward regarding Brown? Has the org said they're moving off him as an SP?

Definitely no org communication, this is in a future scenario in which we have called up Cade Horton. Ben Brown seems solid but if I'm including Horton, Brown doesn't fit into my personal Top 5 for starters

A swap between Assad and Brown is probably not terrible but I love Assad's potential to just gobble up as many innings as you want to throw at him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Poque posted:

Definitely no org communication, this is in a future scenario in which we have called up Cade Horton. Ben Brown seems solid but if I'm including Horton, Brown doesn't fit into my personal Top 5 for starters

A swap between Assad and Brown is probably not terrible but I love Assad's potential to just gobble up as many innings as you want to throw at him.

Makes sense, I was just wondering. I do think Assad's an interesting case because yeah, his stuff won't like, play up in the pen so he's probably so much more useful just as a starter. (I feel the same way about Nestor.)

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Shinjobi posted:

In any case, it's May. I'm not super worried about my team.

Mods!?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Inspector_666 posted:

Hello fellow dynasty fantasy player!

I think Brown won't be banished to short relief for quite a while, although like Wesneski he does have a pitch mix that lends itself to the bullpen. But if they get healthy I think they'd rather have Brown in Iowa working on a third pitch than being a late-inning guy (although they might not have much of a choice if Alzolay and Neris are still extremely shaky).

Horton is the real one to watch long-term though, if he arrives this year then that takes a lot of pressure off everyone else. They already moved him from AA to AAA this week.

Poque posted:

I love Assad too and I'm totally fine with him as a 5th starter if they want to develop their younger guys for longer.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001

bawfuls posted:

If I have learned anything about bullpen construction from watching the Andrew Friedman Dodgers, it's that there are no shortcuts and it is absolutely not solved with money.

The most "reliable" path to good bullpen comes from developing a lot of pitchers all the time and just throwing it all at the wall each season for several months before you figure out who's got it by September.

Thanks for Hudson btw.

https://twitter.com/CyrtHogg/status/1786115591490678859

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
why would I post about rookie of the month Shota when I am powering up for posting about Cy Young winner Shota

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Only an incredibly weak poster couldn't do both.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Justin Steele is now scheduled to start on Monday which is extremely cool, but slightly uncool as it was formerly supposed to be Imanaga vs Darvish.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Minenfeld! posted:

Only an incredibly weak poster couldn't do both.

I don't think you quite understand the level of posting that will be unleashed from Cy Young Shota.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Assad and Cortes are the classic junkball pitchers who flash as #4 or #5 starters due to deception with occasional brilliance. That rarely translates to bullpen.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
there will never be a day that I'm not a Merverted Mervert just Mervin' everywhere I go

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I'm glad Verlander is still good despite his loss of velocity because he got absolutely crushed in his rehab starts

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It would be very funny if Verlander continues to pitch effectively through like age 47 but still can't reach 300 Wins because the Astros are just trash after handing over front office decision making to Jeff Bagwell and Reggie Jackson (???) for some reason

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Verlander should go back to Detroit imo

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Verlander is going into the Hall in an Astros cap.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Shota is a god and a saint and he should pitch all 9 innings of every game from here on out, thank you

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

maffew buildings posted:

there will never be a day that I'm not a Merverted Mervert just Mervin' everywhere I go

It'd be nice if he were able to hit major league pitching, though

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Please trade Verlander to Baltimore so I can have my dream of seeing JV in an Orioles uniform PLEASE

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Is the next 300 game winner currently pitching in MLB?

I have no illusions of JV making it

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Intruder posted:

Is the next 300 game winner currently pitching in MLB?

I have no illusions of JV making it

I think the days of the 300-game winner are over

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

many people are saying this

zoux posted:

Verlander is going into the Hall in an Astros cap.

many people are not saying this

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Short of Nolan Ryan's rubber arm being reincarnated, basically yes

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

I'm watching the Cubs' bullpen rank drop further and further in real time.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Cubs bullpen is perhaps the worst in all of history??

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

davecrazy posted:

Mets bullpen has been fine?

It's been a lot better than I expected.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Counsell was a sleeper agent!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pirates optioned Henry Davis to AAA

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb, Destroyer of Seeb.

Kirios posted:

Assad and Cortes are the classic junkball pitchers who flash as #4 or #5 starters due to deception with occasional brilliance. That rarely translates to bullpen.

Cortes got Cy Young votes in 2022 and had a better ERA than Cole.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
N: Cubs

V:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Wainwright will probably go down in history as the last 200 game winner

e: the current active wins leader besides Verlander/Kershaw is 33 year old near-future TJS patient Gerrit Cole, at 145. After him the next winningest pitcher who isn't already near the end of his career is Aaron Nola, with 94 wins.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 22:58 on May 3, 2024

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cubs bullpen lost again.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

Wainwright will probably go down in history as the last 200 game winner

e: the current active wins leader besides Verlander/Kershaw is 33 year old near-future TJS patient Gerrit Cole, at 145. After him the next winningest pitcher who isn't already near the end of his career is Aaron Nola, with 94 wins.

Scherzer has 200 something

not that he isn't at the end of his as well.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I think Cole has a shot at 200

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Popete posted:

Counsell was a sleeper agent!

:evilbuddy:

Please do not be too hurt Wiemer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Intruder posted:

I think Cole has a shot at 200

Easily, he's going to have 5 more years on his contract after this season.

So does Berrios who has never really been hurt and isn't a guy who throws like he ever will be.