Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DeepDickPizza posted:

https://twitter.com/cjzero/status/1784719743624032692?s=46&t=OxNS0oQRTXMDiN4qEfSnlQ

I was unaware of this Twins sausage thing until tonight but I’m immediately fully on board.

Meet some teams?

R.D. Mangles posted:

meet the team thread, let's go effortpost about our cheap-rear end, lovely teams.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4057296

Easy one stop place for most of your highlight needs!
https://baseball.theater/games

Share some Baseball! (mlb.tv sharing thread)
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3960688

https://i.imgur.com/Cke6Ofb_lq.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

MLB seriously needs to step in somehow so Twins fans can actually watch games

quote:

Minnesota Twins fans may have a tough time watching Wednesday’s game as Bally Sports Network is set to go dark on Comcast Xfinity after the companies failed to reach a deal.

Xfinity users won’t be able to view programs from Bally Sports Network as the two groups have not reached a contractual agreement.

Bally Sports, which is owned by Diamond Sports Group, broadcasts games from the Twins, Wild, Timberwolves and Lynx.

A spokesperson for Comcast said the company is planning to reimburse customers who paid for the network, and customers could receive $8 to $10 per month in credits.

The Comcast spokesperson issued a statement, saying, “We have been very flexible with Diamond Sports Group for months as they work through their bankruptcy proceedings, providing them with an extension on the Bally Sports Regional Networks last fall and a unilateral right to extend the term for another year, which they opted to not exercise. We’d like to continue carrying their networks, but they have declined multiple offers and now we no longer have the rights to this programming.”

5 EYEWITNESS NEWS has reached out to Diamond Sports Group for a comment and will update accordingly.

The Twins will play the Chicago White Sox on Wednesday at 1:10 p.m. Fans can still watch the game on DirectTV, Spectrum, and FuboTV.

In a statement, Dustin Morse, a spokesperson for the Minnesota Twins, said “The Twins are disappointed by this massive disruption for our fans who simply want to watch our games. This situation is a business negotiation between Comcast and Bally’s. The Twins have no role or voice in this matter. We are hopeful the two parties are able to come to an agreement as soon as possible.”

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Why doesn't the MLB require these network contracts to guarantee local fans an outlet to watch the games? It's money, obviously. But it's not helping the sport in the long run.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The Philadelphia Phillies have had their best April in possibly ever with 20 wins, and are somehow not leading the division

Atlanta is such a drag, can Ozuna get busted for roids already?

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

We were posting lineups in the other thread so I just wanted to post a Good Lineup

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 16:31 on May 1, 2024

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
mcmagic is right in this instance. On top of playing atrocious defense, Gleyber Torres has been a limp rear end noodle bat. He hasn't hit a homerun since September 7th and only has 4 extra base hits this year. Rizzo has been equally as bad in the field and is only sort of hitting. Oswaldo Cabrera has come back to earth, and Stanton is still doing the Stanton thing.

Unfortunately counting on DJLM to come back looks to be a fools errand and Dominguez is still a ways away

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

It's a month in, and Corbin Carroll looks to have crashed to Earth. Hard slump to watch, he's not seeing the ball. Marte, Pederson, and Walker have been solid to keep the DBacks from bottoming out. And, of course, there's Blaze Alexander.

The NL West is a won division but 2-4 is probably going to all win 75-85 games and disappoint their fans.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Posting lineups has forced me to take a look at how the Jays bats have actually been doing, and yeesh. Somehow worse than I was expecting.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I have it on strong authority that the Astros are in fact back.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Love that Tyler O'Neill got out of St. Louis and oh now look he leads the majors in OPS, at least until he gets injured again.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Enough doomposting

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Atlanta is such a drag, can Ozuna get busted for roids already?

Or maybe for beating up women

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Twin Cinema posted:

Posting lineups has forced me to take a look at how the Jays bats have actually been doing, and yeesh. Somehow worse than I was expecting.

A bar almost touching the ground and they are still tripping over it.

At least they arent leading the league in hitting into double plays this year (because no one is ever on base).

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I was digging around to pull up some comparisons to the Yankees in an effort to pile on, but then I just got really, really depressed
Note that the Pirates have the third-highest walk rate in the league, which is actually helping the OPS numbers look less bad than they should.

I did find an offensive stat the Pirates are leading the league in, though! Infield hit percentage!! That surely must mean something good

Note that the Pirates and Yankees both started 9-2

Only registered members can see post attachments!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What's going on with Cruz?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Nodoze posted:

mcmagic is right in this instance. On top of playing atrocious defense, Gleyber Torres has been a limp rear end noodle bat. He hasn't hit a homerun since September 7th and only has 4 extra base hits this year. Rizzo has been equally as bad in the field and is only sort of hitting. Oswaldo Cabrera has come back to earth, and Stanton is still doing the Stanton thing.

Unfortunately counting on DJLM to come back looks to be a fools errand and Dominguez is still a ways away

There is nowhere to play Dominguez even when he comes back, he'll be in AAA most of the season unless there is an injury. The roster is completely misbuilt as usual which is the Brian Cashman calling card.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

zoux posted:

He's still shy of a full year of major league at-bats, after exploding his leg last April. Teams have figured out that umpires ignore his colossal height and call strikes far below the zone on him all the time, forcing him to defend against those pitches, so he Ks constantly. Even without that, he's not a great bat-to-ball skills guy, so this adjustment period is brutal. It feels like he will never hit a home run ever again.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Happy to be entering May six games over .500 and with what feels like more boneheaded losses than lucky wins (though there are more in each category than I would prefer)

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Some Numbers posted:

Enough doomposting

How good is Seattle's pitching?
Well, the starting rotation has now given up 18 earned runs over their last 18 starts, which leads to
this trainwreck being in first.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Also, if I may lament for a second, I would like to point out the absolutely cosmic level of cruelty of us losing/failing to develop our hilariously tall Dominican shortstop named Cruz while watching the Reds all jerk themselves senseless (deservedly) over theirs, who is four years younger

Only registered members can see post attachments!

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

O'Neil is still hitting the ball hard, at least.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I think I see the issue, Oneil is missing an arm

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I feel like if de la Cruz isn't 100 arm strength, no one is. He had a 106.9 mph throw t'other day, the fastest ever recorded in the statcast era.

Maybe a little overkill lol
https://twitter.com/ShutUpCraig/status/1785266919165010050

Tony Phillips posted:

How good is Seattle's pitching?
Well, the starting rotation has now given up 18 earned runs over their last 18 starts, which leads to
this trainwreck being in first.

Julio?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Poque posted:

Happy to be entering May six games over .500 and with what feels like more boneheaded losses than lucky wins (though there are more in each category than I would prefer)

It's not April so Cool Kyle will return and put up acceptable numbers.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Chris Taylor has a -25 OPS+, I wonder how long the Dodgers will keep trotting him out there. And the alternatives aren't much better. Jason Heyward is hurt, and Kiké and Outman aren't hitting well either. Miguel Vargas is mashing in AAA, I think it's time to give him another shot.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, I think Oneil will sort himself out. Just gotta grind through it.

I'm very happy with the Mets being above .500, if they're able to have a winning season after last year's disaster and having a chewing gum and baling wire rotation it's a solid achievement.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Traxis posted:

Chris Taylor has a -25 OPS+, I wonder how long the Dodgers will keep trotting him out there. And the alternatives aren't much better. Jason Heyward is hurt, and Kiké and Outman aren't hitting well either. Miguel Vargas is mashing in AAA, I think it's time to give him another shot.

Can I interest you in an Austin Hays? He is a bonafide major league outfielder that unfortunately probably lost his job to Colton "The Milkman" Cowser.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

habeasdorkus posted:

Yeah, I think Oneil will sort himself out. Just gotta grind through it.
I imagine he will, I just don't see it happening in Pittsburgh.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

Also 3/5ths of our opening day rotation are already out including our #1, two of our best hitters are out, our best reliever is out, our anointed opening day closer has blown 5-6 games and fallen so far that he's not even an effective middle relief option, and half the roster is locked into brutal slumps at the plate. The guys we're currently leaning on most for offense are our 4th OF and Nico who's OPS'ing in .600's and still doesn't have a HR this year but he can smack RBI singles which is more than you can say for almost anybody else right now. That the Cubs had as good an April as they did despite this is a goddamn miracle.

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
The cherry on top is almost all that applies to the Brewers too and both teams are at the top of the division

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb, Destroyer of Seeb.
This just in - Ohtani continues to be a Disney character.

https://x.com/ohtani199417/status/1785592532472332776?s=46&t=jqI5ELbj20kI9eXAXvwvHw

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

zoux posted:

He can't reliably hit breaking/low stuff nor does he reliably lay off it, and pitchers have figured it out.

Also, he is not a major league shortstop but the Pirates continue to overplay him there, which puts extra pressure on him and takes attention and time away from working on the holes in his hitting.

Probably not going to have a very significant major league career. If he'd come up with a better organization that would have moved him to right field where he belongs when he was still in the minors, things might've been different.

e: Rumor has it he doesn't have the most impressive work ethic in the world, but I take that with a whole shaker of salt because it's awfully convenient how that absolves the Pirates of sucking at developing players

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 1, 2024

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/jc_bradbury/status/1785465732186186118

o7

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Traxis posted:

They already called up Pages in part because of this so Vargas would be the next obvious move if he can be respectable in the outfield. I think Outman gets a fairly long leash cause they do need his defense in center.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Good times

https://x.com/cjzero/status/1785715627795083693

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

ALFbrot posted:

I was digging around to pull up some comparisons to the Yankees in an effort to pile on, but then I just got really, really depressed
Note that the Pirates have the third-highest walk rate in the league, which is actually helping the OPS numbers look less bad than they should.

I did find an offensive stat the Pirates are leading the league in, though! Infield hit percentage!! That surely must mean something good

Note that the Pirates and Yankees both started 9-2

Are the Pirates worried about Henry Davis yet

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Why doesn't the MLB require these network contracts to guarantee local fans an outlet to watch the games? It's money, obviously. But it's not helping the sport in the long run.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

syq

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
What's funny is the Twins contract with Bally was up. They knew they were in deep financial trouble but opted in with Bally again just because the proposed payouts were higher than any other option and now the Twins cannot be watched locally at all and the Twins ORG is trying to spin this as its "not our fault." Well, it is. You don't buy a ticket to get on the titanic when its already hit the iceberg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
The Mariners tweeted the entire Bee Movie script during the Diamondbacks’ game beelay.

https://x.com/mariners/status/1785498822506090757?s=46&t=lRl8HNC2dXvuRHcXaz1cXw