Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Eurovision Song Contest Official Website

The vocals aren’t the only thing that’ll be Discord-ant!
IRC used to be the main place for live chat but I’m not sure if it’s still active. Why not find out for yourself at #eurovision on irc.synirc.net.

First semi final: Tuesday, 7 May 2024
Second semi final: Thursday, 9 May 2024
Grand final: Saturday, 11 May 2024

PDT (West USA) - 12pm
EDT (East USA) - 3pm
BST (UK/Ireland) - 8pm
CEST (Central Europe) - 9pm
EEST (Eastern Europe) - 10pm
AEST (Australia) - 5am

If you’re in the European Broadcasting Union, your national broadcaster is almost certainly going to be showing it. A few other countries like the USA tend to pick it up too. Otherwise, Eurovision will be streaming it themselves on YouTube!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dB5DuvK5UQU
🇨🇾 Cyprus
🇷🇸 Serbia
🇱🇹 Lithuania
🇮🇪 Ireland
🇺🇦 Ukraine
🇵🇱 Poland
🇮🇸 Iceland
🇸🇮 Slovenia
🇫🇮 Finland
🇲🇩 Moldova
🇦🇿 Azerbaijan
🇦🇺 Australia
🇵🇹 Portugal
🇱🇺 Luxembourg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSYE-C1TuXo
🇲🇹 Malta
🇦🇱 Albania
🇬🇷 Greece
🇨🇭 Switzerland
🇨🇿 Czechia
🇦🇹 Austria
🇩🇰 Denmark
🇦🇲 Armenia
🇱🇻 Latvia
🇸🇲 San Marino
🇬🇪 Georgia
🇧🇪 Belgium
🇪🇪 Estonia
🇮🇱 Israel
🇳🇴 Norway
🇳🇱 Netherlands

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGRHJ-J9G4
The ten qualifiers from each of the semi finals, plus...
🇸🇪 Sweden
🇫🇷 France
🇩🇪 Germany
🇮🇹 Italy
🇪🇸 Spain
🇬🇧 United Kingdom

gently caress you, The Superbowl, Eurovision gets well over double your viewship every year worldwide. In 2023 it had a TV audience of 162 million viewers. It’s a massive international platform for artists and even whole countries countries whose music often rarely leaves their own borders to be heard by people all over the world.

Here in Europe we’ve been doing this for nearly 70 years and basically everyone has heard of it, even if a lot of people haven’t watched it since their parents forced them to as kids when there was only one TV in the house. It all started in 1956 as both a way to help bring people together after a couple of pretty nasty wars as well as to trial new technologies in broadcasting, starting from continent-wide transmissions in the early days to HD and eventually 4K broadcast tests.

Each particiupating country submits a song and a performer, often picked through some definitely-not-rigged local talent show, and they battle it out on a global stage.

The public team up with a set of professional industry judges who are 100% non-partial and will never cast political votes to decide which song wins, and the champion country usually gets stuck with hosting duties the next year. Unless they’re actively being invaded by another country, of course.

But you shouldn’t care about that. We’re here for the ludicrous staging, interpretative dance and so much pyro that you’d think [insert a poor taste joke about current military invasions here].

Glitz! Glam! Getting angry at your favourite coming dead last again!

We’re back in Sweden again after Loreen got her second victory, bringing the country up to seven overall and tieing with Ireland for the most wins. Can they do it again and win on their home turf in this, the 68th Eurovision Song Contest?

We’ve got 37 countries taking part, competing for the chance to meet Petra Mede victory, with a total of 26 taking part in the finals after a round of semis. Typically your main host only shows up for the finals, but this year Petra will be on-hand to comment on everyone’s semis.

The jury scourge was removed from the semi-finals in 2023, after years of all the good entries never qualifying for the finals. In addition, countries who are not part of the contest can now make an online vote for their favourite song, being grouped together into a single “Rest of World” pool of points.

The big news this year is the return of Luxembourg after a 31 year hiatus from the contest. It'll be embarrassing for them if they don't qualify for the finals after such a long break, but it would also be very funny.

Here's a playlist of the best and worst (actual best) of Eurovision over the years.

🎵 Listen to them! (Music streaming services)
📺 Watch them! (Official music videos)
🧑‍🎤 Judge them! (National final performances)

Don’t worry about it. :australia:

We are enablers. There are sites like Eurovision Drinking, this drinking game rule set or even this page on Mission Eurovision if you want it to be bingo themed!

EL BROMANCE often puts together a goon voting site. Not confirmed this year but check in nearer the time and see!

I made some Bingo cards if you want to be a dork like me.

Sure thing, slowpoke! Semi final 1 | Semi final 2 | FINAL

2023 | 2022 | 2021 | 2020 | 2019 | 2018 | 2017 | 2016 | 2015 | 2014 | 2013 | 2012 | 2011 | 2010 | 2009 | 2008 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003

Question Mark Mound fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 15, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hyped, there's a bunch of great songs this year

malder
Feb 7, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Funny there still holding the ESC this year because the Netherlands will destroy the competition.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Pre-emptive

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Cannot get Europapa out of my head. Going in blind for all the others though. All the kids on my son's class trip to the petting zoo wanted to listen to Europapa in the car. It is a certified banger.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm actually considering voting for Europapa what happened to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :psyboom:

I fly out there tomorrow, cannot wait! :woop:

e: PETRA!

Can't wait to see how they try and one-up Love Love Peace Peace.

gallilee
Jul 24, 2001

Imagine when you're about to get your dick sucked by the alien from aliens and she's like "ahaha guess i gotta bring out my little mouth for this one"
I wonder how much they paid Malin Åkerman to be co-host.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I was in Malmo for a few hours earlier this year, so it'll be fun to see some places I might have seen in the idents. I don't listen to the songs beforehand though, it's better as suprise. More camp, less ballads!

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm actually considering voting for Europapa what happened to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :psyboom:

I fly out there tomorrow, cannot wait! :woop:

e: PETRA!

Can't wait to see how they try and one-up Love Love Peace Peace.

I don't think anything can ever beat Love Love Peace Peace. I'd been in an emotionally dead depressive slump for about 5-6 months and for some reason the combination of silliness and genuine love for Eurovision in that performance reset something in my broke brain. I don't even remember the results or who won because I was just flooded with emotions over a stupid interval act. Depression is weird.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
I am so in love with Czechia's entry this year, but the live performance has been really rough for all the live performances I can find. Hopefully the ESC sound engineers and vocal coaches can get the live performance up to snuff, but I'm preparing for it to NQ in the Semi. Will be checking out more of Aiko's work thanks to this song though.

Ireland sent a Witch! Said witch will also have to step up their live vocals for a good placing, but it should be fun and I'm glad they took a risk.

Netherlands is the act I will be rooting to win out of the bookmaker's favorite acts. Fun poppy song that represents lots of good (fun) Eurovision conventions. (Also gabber!)

Overall it's going to be another really nice year of acts.

I did find that all of 2024 Eurovision is on Prime Music streaming.

I Greyhound fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 30, 2024

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah, I didn’t see this thread earlier but I did indeed get the voting site updated and it should work. Should!

I’ll be watching Semi 1 live but won’t be around for 2/Final but should be able to switch it over in time for them both.

Luckily I found the flag image for Luxembourg!

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

This year is killer, there's not a single trainwreck.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Here're my reviews as a non-Euro ~alt-hipster dickhead:

Albania - The first of our English-as-a-second-language basic bitch female empowerment metaphor songs. The noun today is Titan, which she's like. The fact that this is a weak entry highlights how strong this year is, because it's all very competent and well put together.
Armenia - The first of our cool/modern/ethnic synthesis songs. She's cool as poo poo and the song's great fun. Unfortunately, this is probably the lesser example behind Italy and Greece. Still great.
Austria - Pretty much perfectly executed hot-lady-dancing entry. Homage to 90s euro-dance with a Prodigy break-beat bridge. Only issue is her singing holding up under heavy choreography and that there's no emotional hook unless you've got personal nostalgia for raves you can draw on. A bit repetitive.
Australia - Really good gay electro-pop. It's going under the radar a bit at the moment I think due to: black guy, money saving video and that no-one cares about Australia. Using a digeridoo as a synth bass is cool and I just love the pronunciation of Milkali.
Azerbaijan - Boring. Po-faced dudes sing a nice but slow and dull song. Who cares.
Belgium - Nice build up over the song until we get a big final explosion. A little repetitive but pretty good. Not much to say.
Croatia - One of the favourites, but too buttrock for me. He redeems it somewhat in that he seems like a good dude and brings a sense of humour.
Cyprus - 17yo Australian doing a ~Dua Lipa style choreo bop. Does what it says on the tin and huge props for putting herself out there at this age.
Czechia - Girl power rock song. Has that 15 years out-of-date Eastern European thing going on and an annoying break to have a domestic fight. Fine.
Denmark - The noun is sand. It's a metaphor.
Estonia - Great, catchy party song with some folky instruments for colour and a cultural dance move hook. They seem to be having trouble staging it so far though, it's just a mess of dudes wandering around. Great.
Finland - Kitschy comedy song. Performance is "fun" but the song is shlock.
France - Same thing France always do, very French person doing a France. Boring but will do well.
Germany - That fat goon sitting in the rain meme. Would slot right into crappy English pop radio but extremely lame.
Georgia - Our 2nd hot lady dancing song. The noun is firefighter, which she is like. Inferior to Austria.
Greece - Killer. Modern, cultural, cool. Bursting with influences and surprises. Likely won't be immediate enough for a general audience.
Iceland - Dated and lame wine-mom song. Chosen to stop an explicitly pro-Palestinian performer getting in.
Ireland - Super out there goth/industrial/jazz witch-core. They're cool and this will be too extreme to win. Great.
Israel - End the genocide.
Italy - Killer. Ultra-cool modern pop. Out of the big 5, Italy really seem to get Eurovision.
Latvia - Serious Message Song but it sounds exactly like a slower and even lamer Imagine Dragons.
Lithuania - Slick modern male pop. Fine but nothing extra to my ear.
Luxembourg - Luxembourg are back! The song flits back and forth between French and English and is also kinda musically disjointed. Meh.
Malta - Another hot-lady-dancing song. The hook is New Rules by Dua Lipa. I think she also goes over the line from "sexy" into aggressively wants to steal your boyfriend territory.
Moldova - Moldova generally over-perform with fun crowd pleasers. They haven't done that this time. Perplexing entry.
Netherlands - Killer. Most streamed entry this year and it's obvious why. Fun, catchy, smart, heartfelt, very Dutch and almost perfectly designed for Eurovision.
Norway - Symphonic metal kinda thing, polished down for Eurovision. Unusual, waily vocal style but I quite like it.
Poland - Good, catchy ~Grimes inspired electro-pop. Not theatrical enough for Eurovision, more of a radio song. Her Polish accent is cute, "De Taowa" indeed.
Portugal - Portugal continue their formidable run of dour, over-serious entries that do ok.
San Marino - More dated rock. Lame old P!nk feel with slightly heavier guitars. Flamenco bridge is kinda cool.
Serbia - Sleepy nursery rhyme ballad. The chorus, when we finally get to it, is pretty but repetitive.
Slovenia - Another witch-core entry, though much more folky and conventional. It's fine, mostly carried by her look though.
Spain - Cougar-core synth-pop karaoke. I don't like it.
Sweden - A huge amount of talent, effort and expertise have gone into manufacturing this slick forgettable dreck that sounds like a shittier NSYNC. She may be unforgettable, but your song isn't.
Switzerland - Theatrical genre bender. One of the favourites, it's ok.
Ukraine - Another somber pop/rap/ethno song that they seem to specialize in now, this is pretty mid to my ears but everyone's still sympathetic because of the invasion.
UK - Unremarkable radio pop. The dude's a big name in England and no-where else.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I Greyhound posted:

I am so in love with Czechia's entry this year, but the live performance has been really rough for all the live performances I can find. Hopefully the ESC sound engineers and vocal coaches can get the live performance up to snuff, but I'm preparing for it to NQ in the Semi. Will be checking out more of Aiko's work thanks to this song though.

Definitely check out Aiko. Her latest single White Flag is fantastic, and her last album Fortune's Child is great from start to finish.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

any chance of a jedward appearance this year?

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Impressed that instead of sending in their usual poo poo, Germany elected to send in some UK poo poo instead. It's a bold strategy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Europapa slaps if it doesn't win I'll be upset.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

So have there been any bangers this year, that didn't make it to the Eurovision?

Norwegian finals had a Goth Metal band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqV2b_CtakY

The winner was great too, so I'm not too mad about this not winning.

Finnish nationals had weirdish Finnish/Estonian rapper duo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjnfMLon7sE

It got out weirded out by eventual winner the Windows95man, which was better choice.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Issaries posted:

So have there been any bangers this year, that didn't make it to the Eurovision?

Iceland almost sent this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Moqt2hnlEM

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

This obviously should have won but I felt any of the other finalists would have been better than the wet fart we're sending.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

https://youtube.com/shorts/WKBy09vFs6s?si=9moOO27zOZVHxM0f

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Croatia just makes me think of someone trying to do a cover of Weisses Fleisch by memory and it’s really annoying me.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

With such particular choreography and the corny rhymes, it was easily top 5 with tons of 5-10 points.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
he is Palestinian also. Iceland are hella committed to trolling Israel lol. Their act that whipped out Palestine flags when Israel hosted did a song with him too

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
I had a worry that family poo poo would get in the way but no, that poo poo's the Saturday after. HURRAY!

Also, they didn't chuck Israel for doing a genocide, really?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

I was super surprised Zorja didn't win the Serbian final:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1DhoSuTIQs

Ireland almost sent this, but her live performance just wasn't very good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn_txZB9DIg

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Cool Aids posted:

he is Palestinian also. Iceland are hella committed to trolling Israel lol. Their act that whipped out Palestine flags when Israel hosted did a song with him too

Hatari loving rule.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

Profanity posted:

Hatari loving rule.

The main guy quit to spend more time with his family. :negative:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Laughing Zealot posted:

This obviously should have won but I felt any of the other finalists would have been better than the wet fart we're sending.

That's solely on the Icelandic public. He won the first round with the Juries and five songs, he lost in a public vote head-to-head with Hera.

Why have a super final when the Final has only FIVE SONGS???

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Ratios and Tendency posted:

The main guy quit to spend more time with his family. :negative:

It's cool, he earned it. They put out some rad music and got an EBM banger into EV. An EBM song with a drat key change no less, which still makes me happy to my core.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Overthinking It did an almost 50 minute analysis of Europapa (and a few minutes about Dizzy), we'll worth a watch.

https://youtu.be/jeW40z6_L2Q?si=fIlz2SP2A89Lv9Hk

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Monica Bellucci posted:

Also, they didn't chuck Israel for doing a genocide, really?

Afaik, the (rather lame) official reason is that it's not countries, but the broadcast agencies that compete. And while Russia's broadcasting agency was full tilt Putin puppets when they were kicked out, Israel's public broadcast agency is at least reporting about the genocide and is on Bibi's naughty list. So, the logic goes, letting Israel compete is not the same as letting Russia compete, and is actually supporting independent media inside Israel. Russia was not, the logic goes, kicked out for being a warmongering country, it was kicked out for Russian public broadcasting fully supporting being a warmongering country. So that's the difference.

I don't 100% buy this and I think it is a cop-out. But it is at least something that can make a sliver of sense if you squint really hard and ignore that Eurovision is and always has been a huge propaganda thing for Israel in relation to Europe. But Eurovision sure as hell has been completely inept in trying to explain this fig leaf defence in the public, at least here in Sweden.

IMHO Israel should have been allowed to compete, but with a Palestinian artist and the number should have non stop videos of IDF war crimes playing over it.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 2, 2024

Solefald
Jun 9, 2010

sleepy~capy

I know it's inevitable we'll be talking about Israel's participation in Eurovision and the politics surrounding it but I just want to give folk a heads up to avoid turning this thread into a full blown I/P discussion. Let's try to keep things light!

Also thanks for explaining the reasons why they let Israel take part but not Russia. I legit didn't know that was their reasoning for it lol lmao

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Issaries posted:

Lithuanian entry with a chorus that sounds a lot like "gently caress the chicken, yeah"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YLYwZQ4P0Q

Norway predicting the inevitable rise of LLM-generated songs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ki78odrdP9w

Germans getting frustrated by everyday tasks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCWCo4S1-to

Hot Ukrainians giving off a very early 2000s t.A.T.u vibe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAP62Ffu3UA

I don't actually know if any of these songs qualified as I've not listened to the the final entrants.

Clyde Radcliffe fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 2, 2024

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

This did the rounds when the song came out 2 months ago, but if you haven't seen it, you owe it to yourself to watch this sign language interpretation of Europapa:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxxePY5hRWU

Clyde Radcliffe
Oct 19, 2014

Issaries posted:

Norwegian finals had a Goth Metal band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqV2b_CtakY

The winner was great too, so I'm not too mad about this not winning.

I didn't mind this song when I first heard it but christ that staging with the little kid, how did that not trigger a hundred :pedo: warnings from everyone involved?

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Germans getting frustrated by everyday tasks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCWCo4S1-to

This owns so hard. Germany can't buy a point if they wanted to, so they should have embraced chaos.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

I didn't mind this song when I first heard it but christ that staging with the little kid, how did that not trigger a hundred :pedo: warnings from everyone involved?

I mean it is a conservative scare story about our 'pure innocent children' being corrupted by hip swaying and rock'n'roll weird goth poo poo.
I'm surprised there wasn't costume change for more gothic look.

:pedo: is a :goatsecx: level stretch though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings

Clyde Radcliffe posted:

Lithuanian entry with a chorus that sounds a lot like "gently caress the chicken, yeah"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YLYwZQ4P0Q

That's fun catchy song. Should have won.