Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

wandler20 posted:

He had an up and down year but got better as the year went on and had more good than bad. He always needed a year to get his body NFL ready but wasn't ever a liability. The athleticism transferred to the pro game so spending a year in an NFL training program should do him wonders. He should be the starting RG until further notice. Jason Licht knows how to draft OL.

and with a real center next to him next year I suspect he'll look above average at the spot. we might have a run game again :unsmith:

also ignore Mcmagic on the Odunze thing, he's salty the Falcons wouldn't trade back and the Jets couldn't get Odunze. It was clearly the correct pick for the Bears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Who's ready to do it all over again? https://theathletic.com/5458526/2024/04/30/nfl-mock-draft-2025-prediction-shedeur-sanders-will-johnson/

22. New York Jets: Shedeur Sanders, QB, Colorado
:eyepop:

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

mcmagic posted:

Not sure I agree with this. I think Odunze is clearly a tick below Nabers and Marv as a prospect.

The idea that the bears "desperately" need another is very dumb. Their pair of WR's is in the top half of the league and Allen usually plays.

lol

just how much longer exactly do you think keenan allen is going to play?

the nfl will continue beyond this season you know

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Browns drafted. They picked some players. Will it matter? Probably not. They are the Browns.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

lol

just how much longer exactly do you think keenan allen is going to play?

the nfl will continue beyond this season you know

The bears will need a really good 3 technique after this season too!

Nov 6, 2002

mcmagic posted:

The bears will need a really good 3 technique after this season too!

a #1WR is a helluva lot more important of a foundational piece and you know it

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Personally, I would do everything in my power to set my rookie QB up for success then figure the rest out later.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

a #1WR is a helluva lot more important of a foundational piece and you know it

They already have a legitimate no 1 WR and their interior DL sucks. The salary scale would also tell you that good 3 techniques who can rush the passer are also foundational pieces.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

here's hoping Madubuike continues his reign of terror next season

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I think Joe Alt was a bad pick for the Chargers because I wanted my team to draft him instead.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I accidentally tripped balls during the second round of the draft. Like came up so fast and so hard I barely made it to the couch and nearly had a floor night.

I was peaking during the crescendo of my favorite High Song right as the Panthers drafted Brooks so he's basically my favorite player of all time now.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

the bucs draft was not sexy but it was solid. i wish they would have gone for the high value prospects that dropped like tj tampa but i can't really point to any one pick as bad. hoping mcmillan is the guy that ends up standing out as a third round steal

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Everyone is shook in criticizing Brad Holmes because it turns out so far he's a good drafter that zigs when everyone else zags and now sports media is afraid of him due to his villain status.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

BlindSite posted:

I am kinda in love with Joe Alt. Dude has a 16yr olds face

😟

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
I get to buy a PENIX jersey and The Haters, of which there are many, don’t. A+ draft.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtoLejnZ8lM&t=130s

lol at this response from Chris Ballard when asked about the anonymous reports about AD Mitchell's 'character concerns' and diabetes stuff.

Absolutely love it

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

wandler20 posted:

Personally, I would do everything in my power to set my rookie QB up for success then figure the rest out later.

This is why you'll never be head coach of da Bears

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Play posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtoLejnZ8lM&t=130s

lol at this response from Chris Ballard when asked about the anonymous reports about AD Mitchell's 'character concerns' and diabetes stuff.

Absolutely love it

I imagine that there might be some legal repercussion if you put your name on the report. Also to think that no one has character concerns going into a draft is completely ignorant of employment in general.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Nosre posted:

Who's ready to do it all over again? https://theathletic.com/5458526/2024/04/30/nfl-mock-draft-2025-prediction-shedeur-sanders-will-johnson/

22. New York Jets: Shedeur Sanders, QB, Colorado
:eyepop:

A mock draft literally a year out is radioactive nonsense but I appreciate him already projecting the Panthers to have the first pick again lol.

If the Patriots are bad enough to be picking third again they better not take a goddam DT. Especially since he mocks an OT with the very next pick. If they're dogshit it will be in large part because they do not have 5 pro-level guys on the O line.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Doltos posted:

I imagine that there might be some legal repercussion if you put your name on the report. Also to think that no one has character concerns going into a draft is completely ignorant of employment in general.

dont care

if you think there are issues you can not draft that person on your team if you are on a position to do so

anonymously leaking garbage about people to the media, that may well be complete fiction, is bullshit

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
No GMs listen to media bullshit in the first place and kids can have thick skin. Oh nooo someone said Adonai Mitchell has character concerns, whatever will he do, what a travesty in sports journalism

Nov 6, 2002

Doltos posted:

No GMs listen to media bullshit in the first place and kids can have thick skin. Oh nooo someone said Adonai Mitchell has character concerns, whatever will he do, what a travesty in sports journalism

Owners do. And some of them like to meddle.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Lmao Bryce loving young

Nosre
Apr 16, 2002

Docjowles posted:

A mock draft literally a year out is radioactive nonsense but I appreciate him already projecting the Panthers to have the first pick again lol.

If the Patriots are bad enough to be picking third again they better not take a goddam DT. Especially since he mocks an OT with the very next pick. If they're dogshit it will be in large part because they do not have 5 pro-level guys on the O line.

https://twitter.com/ezlazar/status/1785288917626839200

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Owners meddle but there's no way in hell that a billionaire is sitting there reading twitter without having better information at hand. Every GM interview I've ever heard or read about in the draft says that they know everything about character concerns already.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

yeah leaking that bong video DEFINITELY didn't cause laremy tunsil to majorly fall in the draft

that's a crock. GMs and team management absolutely pay attention to the media and the stuff that comes out in it.

but even if they don't, who cares? it's still a bitch move. in fact it's even more of a bitch move if you assume that there's no strategy or intent behind it, they're just dragging guys because they can even though it will make no difference. how does that make it better?

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

It's quite different floating around a "dude has character concerns" rumor and uploading a video of him smoking weed through a gas mask an hour before the draft on mass social media though, obviously the latter will have a much greater impact

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mystic Stylez posted:

It's quite different floating around a "dude has character concerns" rumor and uploading a video of him smoking weed through a gas mask an hour before the draft, though

it is and it isn't. but regardless, if there's no point to it then why do it?

I don't talk about people behind their backs, that's an incredibly lame thing to do. and doing this is even worse because you're doing it anonymously and in a way that is guaranteed to reach millions of people

so I think Ballard being dismissive and pejorative about this kind of 'leak' is entirely correct and proper

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

yeah, it's lovely and in an ideal world would never happen, but people will always sucks I guess. like Daltos said, I don't think real GMs will let players slide if it's mostly rumors and unsubstantiated stuff. the Tunsil video was egregious though, and it directly impacted him because he was penciled in to the Ravens, but after going through the Ray Rice poo poo I think they kinda panicked and picked Stanley, who was another elite prospect

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I looked up Isaiah Wilson's draft profile to see if they mentioned anything approaching character concerns considering him being one of the higher profile examples of bombing out of the league (this side of vehicular manslaughter), but all it has is:

quote:

Player Bio
Wilson grew up in Brooklyn, which isn't a recruiting hotbed, but his massive size and athleticism made him a target for coaches all over the country. The top-20 overall prospect signed with Georgia but wound up redshirting his first year in Athens. Wilson came out strong the next season, starting all 14 games at right tackle and earning Freshman All-American and SEC All-Freshman accolades. He continued to show great promise in his sophomore season, though an ankle injury limited him to 11 games played with 10 starts. Wilson was still named a second-team Associated Press All-American despite the missed time. While he was in high school, The New Yorker magazine spotlighted Wilson's love for SpongeBob SquarePants (he wore a SpongeBob backpack) in its annual "Reasons to Love New York" feature.

Weaknesses
Just two seasons of college football experience. Lurches forward, diminishing balance as run blocker. Needs better control and pace to keep blocks centered and sustained. Struggles with backside cut-off blocks. Needs to keep hands inside on base blocks. Tight hips hinder range to meet edge rushers at the turn. Sets with weight too far back in his stance. Wide hands and narrow base diminish his anchor. Footwork is very much a work in progress.

Well at least we know Payton would have him off his board immediately.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
There were a bunch of rumors/stories about Spencer Rattler falling as far as he did because he looked kinda bad on a Netflix show when he was in high school

Im sure GMs know more about guys than the media does, or at least they know this stuff sooner, but there's no guarantee they are smarter for it or not also suckered in by the noise

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Didn't we just see an owner try to start poo poo by taking off a fan's hat for putting poo poo on a sign? Not to mention the many things involving our former president.

The rich can just be as fickle and idiotic as anyone else.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Play posted:

yeah leaking that bong video DEFINITELY didn't cause laremy tunsil to majorly fall in the draft

that's a crock. GMs and team management absolutely pay attention to the media and the stuff that comes out in it.

but even if they don't, who cares? it's still a bitch move. in fact it's even more of a bitch move if you assume that there's no strategy or intent behind it, they're just dragging guys because they can even though it will make no difference. how does that make it better?

So the billionaires that have all the resources in the world at their fingertips and an entire scouting department that can talk directly to college coaches pays attention to twitter enough that someone saying a WR has character concerns will cause 32 GMs in the league to pass on them. You have no idea what you're talking about.

The Laremy Tunsil move is the only time where your argument holds the least bit of water. That was done vindictively and even then it only caused him to drop a few spots over where he was being mocked. Adonai didn't drop because people on twitter said he had character concerns, he dropped because teams probably got that confirmed from Texas and he wasn't as good as the draftniks whose opinions you regurgitate said he was.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Sorry if you drafted a WR with a career YPRR under 2. You might as well be spinning a roulette wheel.

https://twitter.com/scottbarrettdfb/status/1785072212573127154?s=46

https://twitter.com/scottbarrettdfb/status/1785184388222759118?s=46

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/The33rdTeamFB/status/1785434059889623524?t=_sfnJCthDpSQpr45HJimuw&s=19

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Remember when Jimmy Haslem had an outside report that he paid for and his own in house people saying to not pick Johnny loving Football and he did anyway because media hype?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Remember when Jimmy Haslem had an outside report that he paid for and his own in house people saying to not pick Johnny loving Football and he did anyway because media hype?

and that was the better of the two first round players the browns got that year

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Ches Neckbeard posted:

I could believe him picking Manziel based on selling tickets/jerseys while still believing in the talent, but I don't believe there are are owners rushing to their scouting department to tell them not to draft someone because there was a bad report on twitter.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Diva Cupcake posted:

Sorry if you drafted a WR with a career YPRR under 2. You might as well be spinning a roulette wheel.

https://twitter.com/scottbarrettdfb/status/1785072212573127154?s=46

https://twitter.com/scottbarrettdfb/status/1785184388222759118?s=46

What do the acronyms stand for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

Ornery and Hornery posted:

What do the acronyms stand for?

WR wide receiver
FBS football bowl subdivision
DK dee Kay

YPRR :iiam:
yards per route run