Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I liked the titans draft. The top two guys were not who I would at picked but they fit needs and I’m not mad about either. I love the LB in the 4th round and everything else after that basically filled important depth holes in. We’ll see about Latham and sweat but overall very positive impressions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
First four rounds of the Ravens draft seems good based on the picks they had, with one major exception. Roger Rosengarten over Kingsley Suamatia was surprising. Suamatia is looked at as the raw guy with huge upside, but it seems like the Ravens view Rosengarten that way in a very unique way.

Rosengarten was Penix blindside protector at RT and clearly plays like an LT. He mirrors exceptionally well and uses a variety of techniques to keep pass rushers off balance. The problem is that he has a pretty bad anchor. Really susceptible to bull rushes. Maybe the Ravens think they can build him up physically in their weight room in order to make improve that anchor. I'm skeptical. The dude is already a terrific athlete, he just isn't strong enough. I worry packing on a bunch of "good weight" will limit the agility that currently makes him a prospective asset in a zone scheme.

Whatever the thought process, it will be very interesting to compare Rosengarten and Suamatia's careers in a couple years.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think Odunze is a great player and I wanted him on the Jets but the Bears should've traded down or just taken Byron Murphy instead. They didn't need to add another WR.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I liked the titans draft. The top two guys were not who I would at picked but they fit needs and I’m not mad about either. I love the LB in the 4th round and everything else after that basically filled important depth holes in. We’ll see about Latham and sweat but overall very positive impressions.

It may end up just fine but I kinda thought the titans got hosed. I think they wanted Alt but got sniped by the Chargers two picks ahead. And I think they wanted Newton but got sniped by the Commanders two picks ahead. Then they drafted for desperate need and got Latham and Sweat.

Could be totally wrong about that, their board may look very different but that's certainly what it looks like to me.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Carr's ceiling is really clear at this point. Rattler has legitimate starting QB upside. That's pretty drat good for a 5th round pick. Wouldn't be at all surprising if he ended up a top 3 QB from this draft.

I think it would be pretty surprising if the guy who spent his whole college career being bad at football despite having more talent than almost anyone on the field was a top 3 QB in the draft. Josh Allens are not common.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

mcmagic posted:

I think Odunze is a great player and I wanted him on the Jets but the Bears should've traded down or just taken Byron Murphy instead. They didn't need to add another WR.

What? Why not? DJ Moore is 27, Keenan Allen is 32. Both are on short contracts. Their defense is good-to-great and they WRs after those two are dire. This is like saying the Jets should not draft a WR because they have GW and Mike Williams.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Play posted:

It may end up just fine but I kinda thought the titans got hosed. I think they wanted Alt but got sniped by the Chargers two picks ahead. And I think they wanted Newton but got sniped by the Commanders two picks ahead. Then they drafted for desperate need and got Latham and Sweat.

Could be totally wrong about that, their board may look very different but that's certainly what it looks like to me.

Not knowledgeable about Sweat vs Newton, but for Latham, while I do agree the Titans probably would've preferred Alt, I feel more comfortable going Latham considering we have Bill Callahan to teach him. Latham's raw talent and Callahan's expertise could make for a very potent combination.

If this were still Vrabel I'd be worried as gently caress about Latham busting and feel good about Sweat kicking rear end, but for the new regime I'm the opposite. Kinda curious to see what our DC and staff does with Sweat though, if his potential is met then, oh boy.

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
I'm very pleased with the Chiefs draft. There's not too many holes to fill immediately so everything will need to be viewed in a 2-3 lens as only one pick (Worthy) could be an immediate starter (as WR3/4), and Reid is usually very restrained with rookie WRs. I can see the vision for all the picks.

I can see why some people would be down on Worthy as a prospect due to his size, but he's landed in probably the best or second best spot he could to maximize his talent. Reid can dust off the plays he had for DeSean Jackson/Hill/Hardman.

I still wonder if the Chiefs are considering a vet to add to the room as it appears that WR5/6 is going to be a competition headed by Kadarius Toney and Skyy Moore.

:ferrari:

Kingsley Suamataia is a swing at OT I can get behind. 21, high RAS, 1 year of LT experience. Would have talked myself into the pick at 32, so getting him a round later works for me. :haw: Not sure what the best case scenario for him would be as he is still raw (although I think he might win the battle over Wanya Morris, and the Chiefs are probably considering a vet for insurance too). Luckily the rest of the line is settled for this season with Thuney next to him so if he does end up starting from day 1, it should be manageable - hopefully the WR corps is much more reliable in 2024.

Jaden Hicks appears to be a long term Justin Reid replacement as starter, but I imagine he'll get a few snaps a game this year on both defense and special teams to make an impression (like Chamarri Conner did last year). I'm thrilled if the Veach/Spags' Day 3 DB production line delivers a couple more solid DBs for next few years.

The Chiefs use a lot of 12 and 13 personnel so I expect Jared Wiley will be a day 1 contributor behind Gray. His speed does show up on the footage I've watched so I can see him being a good complement for the current TEs (I'm refusing to christen anyone as a Kelce successor).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I don't think DJ Moore is that good. He was an athletic standout that started putting it together but his ceiling seems to be capped as guy who runs streaks. If a player of Odunze's caliber drops to you you take him and don't think twice.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What? Why not? DJ Moore is 27, Keenan Allen is 32. Both are on short contracts. Their defense is good-to-great and they WRs after those two are dire. This is like saying the Jets should not draft a WR because they have GW and Mike Williams.

They have 2 really good WRs and their DT's suck and DT's are very important now. Mike Williams might not even be ready for training camp though. The Bears' WRs aren't that kind of injury risk.

Anderson Koopa
Jun 9, 2006

The Patriots draft made some sense from a team need's perspective but they didn't do exactly what I would have done or wanted to do. The one caveat I attach to my beliefs is that I think the Lions and the 49ers took a very sensible approach to roster construction. I liked how they built the entire team up and then put a QB in the best position to succeed. I listed the picks in the order that they were drafted.

1. Drake Maye - I liked him the most out of the QB prospects, but I am still worried that he might ultimately become a bust. He has the frame, arm, and speed to be an interesting prospect. A lot of the praise that was given Zach Wilson was also given to Drake Maye. I would have rather seen them take MHJ or trade back and get additional prospects.

https://www.thefalcoholic.com/2021/2/23/22290946/2021-nfl-scouting-report-byu-qb-zach-wilson-falcons

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10089376-drake-maye-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-unc-qb

2. Ja'Lynn Polk - The Patriots drafted a WR with a pulse, they could have gone OT here, but either is such a dire need that this pick is okay.

3. Caedan Wallace - The Patriots believe he can be the LT of the future, again the OL room is so devoid of talent that this pick makes sense.

4. Layden Robinson - This pick is the one that I like the least. The Patriots had drafted a bunch of interior OL in the previous couple of drafts. I don't understand this pick. Who knows, maybe he's good? At least they didn't burn a first round pick on a Guard no one has heard of.

5. Javon Baker - Another Wide Receiver, in the fourth round, can't be mad about this pick.

6. Marcellus Dial - He is a 6th round CB, DB depth is always good to have, he can possibly help on special teams. I like this pick

7. Joe Milton III - I like this pick (not just because I grabbed him in the 4th round of the Goon Draft). He is a project for sure, but the Patriots get a QB on a rookie deal for four years. Hopefully he can develop into something (gadget QB, Tight End, backup QB, or maybe even a starter). If he isn't any good, well it was only a 6th round pick. This was my favorite pick.

8. Jaheim Bell - A 7th round TE with a pulse. He might play special teams? Good pick.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Xavier Legette - I quite like him as a prospect. People point to dk metcalf as a comparison but I see more devante Adams in his game. Bigger and able to box out the guys faster than him, simply more athletic than most corners. I like his hands and ability to hang in the air. Routes need work, blocking needs work, isn't a great technician coming off his breaks. I still like his feet and his yac ability even if he doesn't offer much in terms of lateral shift.

The one year of top flight production gives me some pause but injury, parental death and a motor cycle accident probably had some impact there. I think hes a good fit for the kind of system canales wants to install though. Get to a point on the field and dot.

I think he pairs well with dionte.

Brooks rb Texas -
Late acl injury with a running back is a concern but he only posted about 230 carries for his college career, so I would consider him experienced but not worn down.

Size, speed, quickness, has it all, can do moat things. Good hands but not great routes. Throws a shoulder in pass pro but doesn't exactly square and engage.

Panthers needed a running back to add a different dimension to Chuba and Sanders. Might take a few weeks to get going but I can see him being elevated by mid year to the starting role.

I think he looks a little like Kenyan drake and plays the same way. Very dynamic but not exactly a dawg who'll lower the boom and as marshawn would say run through a motherfucker face but again. It's options and it's pieces.

People were complaining we traded up for Brooks but we actually traded back and then back up and in doing so it cost us pocket change and netted us a 2nd which we didn't have as a result of trades. So a great net result.

The rest of the dudes I'll write about later. Gotta go to work.

Doctor Teeth
Sep 12, 2008

i don't know poo poo about any of the guys the chiefs drafted but a really fast WR should be fun. they didn't really address CB but it'll probably be fine.

well that's my thoughts on the chiefs draft.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Play posted:

I can see it with Sweat but with Latham, I don’t think so. They could have had fashanu there if they wanted him. I think latham was genuinely their second rated tackle. They probably would have preferred Nabers and alt but if they weren’t there, 🤷🏽‍♂️

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I am kinda in love with Joe Alt. Dude has a 16yr olds face that's made for a fatman goatee in 5 years.

Dresses like a 50yr old in Walmart jeans and qtr zip pullovers.

Has the feet of a dancer and built like a fridge.

Just a boring as gently caress blocking God who'll play a decade and then make a gazillion dollars selling tractors and raising bird dogs.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hey Wandler, how did Cody Mauch do last year? I remember we all wanted him based on his photo.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

BlindSite posted:

I am kinda in love with Joe Alt. Dude has a 16yr olds face that's made for a fatman goatee in 5 years.

Dresses like a 50yr old in Walmart jeans and qtr zip pullovers.

Has the feet of a dancer and built like a fridge.

Just a boring as gently caress blocking God who'll play a decade and then make a gazillion dollars selling tractors and raising bird dogs.

https://twitter.com/chargers/status/1785042350462603469?t=3jm4pwXTJtykvxCpnjMuNw&s=19

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
he might have a 16 year olds face but he's got a 35 year old's crows feet

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Take your large adult son to work day

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I still don't really understand why Brad Holmes traded a third-rounder for a project Canadian guy on zero teams' radar. Lots of recaps have been like "he gets his guys! Let him cook!" and while I tend to agree with that, like...the guy was gonna fall to you man.

Between free agency, trades and the draft I am more confident that the secondary has been fixed. I would liked to have seen a receiver and an edge rusher taken. I know this class was light on talent in the latter category, but this receiving corps is looking pretty bleh besides Amon-Ra and I think Josh Reynolds is going to be a bigger loss than it sounds.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Doltos posted:

I don't think DJ Moore is that good. He was an athletic standout that started putting it together but his ceiling seems to be capped as guy who runs streaks. If a player of Odunze's caliber drops to you you take him and don't think twice.

"Guy who runs streaks" is an insane assessment of DJ Moore

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Doltos posted:

This is wild. DJ Moore just had an almost 1400 yard/14YPC year with a QB who literally can't throw the ball. He's great.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Don't care, stand by it

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Draft trivia time: which QB was drafted before Aaron Donald in the 2014 draft?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Silly Burrito posted:

Hey Wandler, how did Cody Mauch do last year? I remember we all wanted him based on his photo.

He had an up and down year but got better as the year went on and had more good than bad. He always needed a year to get his body NFL ready but wasn't ever a liability. The athleticism transferred to the pro game so spending a year in an NFL training program should do him wonders. He should be the starting RG until further notice. Jason Licht knows how to draft OL.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Nervous posted:

Draft trivia time: which QB was drafted before Aaron Donald in the 2014 draft?

08 was Ryan and Flacco
09 Stafford
10 Bradford, I think
11 Cam Gabbert and the gang
12 Luck and Griffin
13 ...real bad draft. Don't remember the QBs
14 ... drat. I don't know.

looked it up. I had entirely forgotten Bortles went that high.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

The Puppy Bowl posted:

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Carr's ceiling is really clear at this point. Rattler has legitimate starting QB upside. That's pretty drat good for a 5th round pick. Wouldn't be at all surprising if he ended up a top 3 QB from this draft.

Rattler has legitimate upside as a starting qb bad enough to net you a top 3 pick in the draft

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Anderson Koopa posted:

The Patriots draft made some sense from a team need's perspective but they didn't do exactly what I would have done or wanted to do. The one caveat I attach to my beliefs is that I think the Lions and the 49ers took a very sensible approach to roster construction. I liked how they built the entire team up and then put a QB in the best position to succeed. I listed the picks in the order that they were drafted.

3. Caedan Wallace - The Patriots believe he can be the LT of the future, again the OL room is so devoid of talent that this pick makes sense.

As a PSU fan let me tell you, 3 years of watching him start at RT was way more than I could have ever wanted. No idea how or why he went in the third round.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

JUSTIN CAN THROW, LEAVE HIM ALONE!!!!!

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

mcmagic posted:

Odunze is a much better wr prospect than Murphy is a dt prospect.

And the bears desperately needed another WR. They have Moore and an old man who won’t play the whole season.

The bears had a big need for a WR this year. And an enormous need for WR next year, had they not done something this year.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Odunze is a much better wr prospect than Murphy is a dt prospect.

And the bears desperately needed another WR. They have Moore and an old man who won’t play the whole season.

The bears had a big need for a WR this year. And an enormous need for WR next year, had they not done something this year.

Not sure I agree with this. I think Odunze is clearly a tick below Nabers and Marv as a prospect.

The idea that the bears "desperately" need another is very dumb. Their pair of WR's is in the top half of the league and Allen usually plays.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023
The bears can simply draft a top DT next year with the 33rd overall pick they're owed from Carolina

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Apr 30, 2024

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bears drafted 2 DTs last year and Dexter looked pretty good by the end of the year, maybe give them another year before they completely give up on pickens.

e: plus the bears aren't really competing for anything next year, they still could easily finish last in the division with a rookie QB no matter how hyped, they'll probably win 7-8 games again.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 30, 2024

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Mcmagic is right that the Bears didn't need a WR, but Odunze was comfortably BPA imo, and this gives them flexibility when it comes to extending Allen or even re-signing Moore when the time comes.

I think the hype around Murphy as a potential top 10 guy was pretty strained and a byproduct of there being no consensus top defensive prospect. Eventually people got tired of ruminating on the various strengths and weaknesses of the EDGE guys and landed on "Uhh maybe Murphy is secretly an elite DT." In the end it seems clear the league didn't think much of any of the defensive guys; even the top tier of the class is just "pretty good but meaningfully flawed"

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

I'm glad the Bears drafted a top tier WR because games that go 45-42 loving rule

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm glad the Bears drafted a top tier WR because games that go 45-42 loving rule

i mean they're the bears, there's no amount of hyped wide receivers and quarterbacks that won't prevent them from playing 17-13 puntfests.

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i mean they're the bears, there's no amount of hyped wide receivers and quarterbacks that won't prevent them from playing 17-13 puntfests.

As God intended.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

R.D. Mangles posted:

Which is why their draft wasn’t complete until they took that punter. Really, the Bears covered their bases quite well. If this new-fangled forward passing offense doesn’t go great, they have a good back-up plan.

All joking aside, you win by passing the football well in the modern NFL: everything else is secondary(but nonetheless important, ask the Bills). You need a QB who’s at least good, and 3 WR sets are basically the default nowadays. So Odunze was a great pick for *now*, IMO, and a vitally necessary one for the future. It’s great to have a WR with elite potential who can grow alongside your new franchise QB(hopefully, on both counts).

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

mcmagic posted:

Not sure I agree with this. I think Odunze is clearly a tick below Nabers and Marv as a prospect.
Even if we assume that Odunze is a tick below Nabers and Marvin Harrison… that’s not relevant at all to the question of whether Odunze is a better WR prospect than Murphy is a DT prospect.

And even if we assume that Odunze is a tick below those two, that’s not even damning of Odunze! Harrison is talked about as one of the greatest WR prospects of the last 30 years. People put him in the tier of Larry Fitzgerald! And Nabers is also a really really really good WR prospect and there wasn't consensus that he was better than Odunze. If you picked a dozen drafts from the last two decades, Odunze would be WR1 in a significant amount of them.

quote:

The idea that the bears "desperately" need another is very dumb. Their pair of WR's is in the top half of the league and Allen usually plays.

Allen has played a full season only 36% of the time. So when Allen misses games this upcoming season, Caleb would have had just Moore as a reliable WR.

He’s also 32. WR’s drop off hard in their 30’s. I love Allen and I think his game will handle aging better than most but he’s still mortal.

Even if he does magically do a full season of great health:
  • There’s minimal chance Allen would be healthy and good in 2025.
  • Drafting Odunze was still correct because in the modern NFL you need three pass catchers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Kurgarra Queen posted:

All joking aside, you win by passing the football well in the modern NFL: everything else is secondary(but nonetheless important, ask the Bills). You need a QB who’s at least good, and 3 WR sets are basically the default nowadays. So Odunze was a great pick for *now*, IMO, and a vitally necessary one for the future. It’s great to have a WR with elite potential who can grow alongside your new franchise QB(hopefully, on both counts).

Exactly