Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
:spooky: 2. Moonlighting :spooky:

Road Games

This owned. It's basically a road trip film mashed up with Rear Window (quick skim of Letterboxd suggests this isn't an original observation, lmao). Letterboxd also classifies this as a horror film and it barely is; there's maybe three sequences that are even trying to be scary (though one of those is legit freaky). It's mostly a comedy and a character study, given a spine thanks to some thriller elements.

Stacy Keach is great in this (and could loving get it, something I didn't expect based on Titus). He's a bit sweet, a bit daffy, a bit toxic, probably quite lonely and slowly going out of his nut thanks to long days and sleepless nights trapped in a truck driver's seat and with nothing meaningful to do. I mostly settle on the character being sweet though, and there's a lot of charm and wit to his performance (and the writing). Jamie Lee Curtis co-stars as a runaway princess heiress -- so that's the kind of film you're dealing with here -- and they have fantastic chemistry. I'd have watched a sequel with these two, they're genuinely really great.

Some excellent set pieces too; including a surprisingly tense finale that's essentially sees a few characters almost die based on a series of comical escalations and poor thinking in a crisis. For a serial killer film it's essentially very kind hearted and sweet, and offers a lot of empathy to the supporting cast despite them often being wild weirdos or just seemingly irrelevant.

My favorite bit is the unspoken suggestion that Keach's truckie is a vegetarian, which gets excellent pay off with a sick final gag. And that's kind of the film all up really -- very gentle and silly, but with a nasty slick of violence around the edges to give it weight and tension. Really glad I found this, definite rewatch material.

4 stars

Actor: Jamie Lee Curtis (Halloween et. al.)

Total Watched: 2/13
Challenges Completed: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen The Thing (2011) myself, but my impression is that it's so close to Carpenter's version it really does ride the remake/prequel borderline. If those that have seen both think it's reasonable to use it for "They Ruined It!" then I don't think I object. I'd be interested to read the reviews, in fact. And the '50s/Carpenter comparison is also a fun alternative. (Or all 3 for extra credit.)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah I think that's what I'll do. I'll watch all three. The Thing is one of my favourite movies of all time, so I want to see the original, and then how (if?) they hosed up the remaquel.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

10. Cape Fear (1962)

I've seen the remake countless times, but I'd never gone back and watched the original, which is wild because I loving love Robert Mitchum playing villains too (I'm sure I don't need to tell anyone in this thread to watch The Night of the Hunter, but if you haven't seen it: loving watch The Night of the Hunter ASAP). And this is brilliant! Unsurprisingly, Mitchum is what makes the whole thing work, his Max Cady just got such a weirdly breezy malevolence about him, as if ruining a man's life is just something he does as a hobby, all building to the climax on the boat, where all that horrible poo poo just spills out of him.

"I like to put values on things. The value of eight years, the value of a family."

4 out of 5!

11. Cape Fear (1991)

But however great Mitchum is in the original, De Niro absolutely blows him out of the water in the remake, he became an instant horror icon for a reason, he's just magnetic, swaggering pure evil. It really speaks for how good De Niro's and Scorcese's careers have been that someone can put in a performance this fantastic in a movie so well-made and it still maybe not make either of their top 5. The changes they made for the remake only stand to make the story a bit more involved and interesting too. Still an incredible movie you owe it to yourself to watch (or even rewatch).

Could stand to have more Bob De Niro standing on rakes, though.

"I am like God, and God like me. I am as large as God, He is as small as I. He cannot above me, nor I beneath Him be."

5 out of 5!

Challenge: They Ruined It! (They absolutely didn't, I'm glad to say. I'd even argue They Improved it!)

Watched so far: Mirror Mirror 2, Tremors 7, Infested, Death Machine, The Scary of Sixty-One, Little Evil, The Bye Bye Man, The Wrath of Becky, Safe, Cape Fear '62, Cape Fear '91

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
:siren:Challenge #11: Bats Aren’t Bugs!:siren:

1. Arachnophobia (1990)

Watched On: iTunes

First off, I caught the Calvin & Hobbes reference in the Challenge title, bravo.

This is a film from my childhood that I have some vague memories of and mostly remember it for the ending (poo poo goes down in a basement with a giant spider). I’m absolutely sure I never saw it in its entirety because I recall catching it on TV one night where it was almost over (when I was like 8). So it’s going to be part of this challenge since it’s not really a re-watch.

This one is a horror-comedy that has a black comedic edge to its depiction of spiders. Like it’s aware that some people are freaked out by them and places them in a “wouldn’t this suck?” situation with the characters. Like there’s a scene with an elderly couple watching a movie with a bowl of popcorn that has spiders crawling in it (a core memory of this film for me because it’s exactly when I tuned into it as a child). It was also the first release for Hollywood Pictures which was a subsidiary of Disney that released their “genre films” (mostly schlocky films) at a time when they were expanding their output beyond family films.

The film gets right into it showing us a crew that goes into the Amazon to collect new species for study only to come across a new kind of spider. This is one that is overly aggressive, appears to be a “soldier ant” of a hive and quickly kills a crew member before being transported with the body (unknowingly) back to America. From there it finds itself in a rural home in California where a doctor (who coincidentally has arachnophobia) has moved with his family to replace a retiring GP.

When he gets there he finds out the GP changed his mind on retirement leading to tensions at home and of course there is now a killer spider in the barn. Once it mates with a local spider it produces many offspring that scatter across town and poo poo goes down. The film for the most part follows the standard “one smart person in the town that realises something is going on but everyone gaslights them” in this kind of film. The doctor, played by Jeff Daniels, knows that there is something going on and fights a small town that just sees him as a big city doctor. Once the bodies start piling up and more experts come in they realise they have a problem.

Jeff Daniels, who is the star, is one of those actors that always surprises me with his performances. You all know him from Dumb & Dumber but no matter what other film he’s in he always brings it. In this film he plays the doctor with the titular phobia which drives his motivations to overcome it and prove himself both personally and professionally in his new small town home. It really works having a more grounded character fighting a fear even though it’s kind of absurd when you think about it (credit Daniels for making it work. Like I said before the film really has a black sense of humor (for some reason it reminds me of Final Destination which came out a decade later) with regards to a phobia of spiders. It places the viewer in potential scenarios of a spider being in your shoe, in the toilet bowl, the shower and of course the popcorn bowl I mentioned earlier. Just to toy and gently caress with the audience a little bit.

Later in the film they introduce Delbert (played by John Goodman) who is an exterminator played for comic relief also out of his element. Though it’s played for laughs to drive home this is a horror-comedy which always has a character that is somewhat self-aware. But at the same time has a weird self-confidence that borders on willing to die on the front lines to prove himself. This is where the film really starts to get crazy as he and the rest of the cast deal with the spider hive after they discover it.

The film ends with Jeff Daniels overcoming his fear and confronting the hive, destroying it in a film that had way more character development than I expected. A great creature feature.

:spooky::spooky::spooky:.5/4

Total: 1. Arachnophobia (1990)

Bonus Challenge
11. BATS AREN’T BUGS: Arachnophobia (1990)

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at 00:42 on May 3, 2024

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm two minutes into American Psycho II, and oh nooooo

Crescent Wrench fucked around with this message at 00:23 on May 3, 2024

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

4. Critters (1986)
Started strong with space ships, a space jail, and aliens. Then it slows way down and follows a family in Kansas for a while before a ship crashes nearby. I had a feeling this was going to be a horror film for kids, but then a critter got turned into a fine red mist and another said gently caress so I have no idea what to make of this. The critters themselves are like worse, hungrier gremlins at first, but then one of them grows larger. Even it doesn't feel that threatening though. The movie did get a good laugh at the end when the critters spitefully blew up the family's house. Not that great overall.

:spooky: 2/5

Challenge: I Know What You Did Last Summer
Billy Zane, better known for roles such as Billy Zane.

Movies: 1. Pin, 2. Candyman, 3. Blood Quantum, 4. Critters
Challenges: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
I'd like to amend my challenge. I'm just going to go for the 13 challenges and not a full 31 film watch for the month. I looked at my calendar and in between work, concerts and the Oilers going to the next round (and potentially further, drat are they good) I won't have time.

I'll save the full 31 watch for October, same every year.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Crescent Wrench posted:

I'm two minutes into American Psycho II, and oh nooooo

I'm so sorry; the author hated the film and Mila Kunis regretted doing it. I'm told it's just plain bad while the original is a stone cold classic.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

#3: Creepypasta

This came as part of a three movie set with The Outwaters.

I don't think it would surprise anyone to find out this movie is bad. It's an anthology with each story based on a creepypasta, of course it's bad. And when I say "based on", they don't take those creepypastas as jumping off points. They don't do any jumping off at all, almost every story is just "there's a scary guy!"

Honestly at points it almost verged on entertaining just because of how childish it all was. There's a scene where four professional adult women eat charcuterie and talk about the concept of shadow people like it's a spooky story they kind of believe. There's a segment about an author who has written a series of books about a scary character called the grey man and from the snippet of writing we see it genuinely appears that the books are just describing how scary the grey man is

The one part I genuinely really enjoyed was the slenderman segment, because I guess they couldn't get the rights to slenderman so their take on him was a guy standing on stilts and wearing a hoodie.

Top to bottom terrible but honestly a more enjoyable watch than The Outwaters

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.

4. Voices from Beyond (1991)
Voci dal profondo
Directed by Lucio Fulci

Voices from Beyond is a later, lesser Fulci but still definitely a Fulci, with the awkward dubbing, the soft focus dream sequences, and the odd musical cues. The gore is sporadic and usually happens in a dream because this is a supernatural mystery movie more than anything else, with a young-ish woman (and her young-ish med school boyfriend) trying to solve the murder of her universally hated father before his body completely decays. It's relatively slow and there aren't any significant twists.

2½/5

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
6. American Psycho 2 (2002) (first viewing)
(watched on Peacock)

Hoo boy. I knew this one was going to be bad, and the movie confirmed it right away. In the first 90 seconds, a 12-year-old Rachel (Mila Kunis) kills Patrick Bateman (face never shown), then we cut to our new psycho in her freshmen year in college. She's studying human behavior and criminology, desperately wants to be the teaching assistant for Professor Strickman (William Shatner) because it's a pipeline to a job at the FBI. As you can guess, the original screenplay--which I'm assuming the studio found in a dumpster somewhere--had nothing to do with American Psycho, and all the references to Patrick Bateman were hastily tacked on later. This movie has none of the dark humor or satirical elements of the original. Instead, it replaces these elements with... nothing. There's no greater point to the story, which is very sloppy, internally inconsistent, and involves asinine twists like identity theft and Rachel faking her death in the climax. The kills are all extremely tame, especially because the camera cuts away from any blood. The music, both the score and soundtrack, is both wildly inappropriate and absolutely hilarious. I'm struggling to describe the score, which sounds like a collision of Western slide guitar, surf rock riffs, and an oompah band. Then the soundtrack is bargain bin alternative rock from a late-'90s teen rom com, but the lyrics are insipid yet bizarrely specific to the plot. "Bad things/Dead things/Sad things have to happen" and "Sometimes she feels so sad/And other times she feels twice as bad/But when the tears are in her eyes/She never cries" and "I remember her/The girl who wouldn't die/She said it wasn't true/I knew it was a lie" and on and on, that's only half of the ones I jotted down. There's bad one-liners, too, like when Rachel strangles a guy with a condom then says "Ribbed... for HER pleasure!" At one point, she tells her friend "Don't worry, I'd never let you down," and we pull back to see the friend hanging from a noose. This probably makes the movie sound funnier than it is, but it's not so bad it's good. It IS consistently baffling, and I suppose that's worth something. At least it didn't piss me off.

CHALLENGE: "Eat your loving slop!"

SPOOKY SCREENINGS (6 and counting):
Bats (1999); Vampyr (1932); Eating Raoul (1982); Blood Rage (1987); The Return of the Living Dead (1985); American Psycho 2 (2002)

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

5. Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed (2004)
I love the original Ginger Snaps and I think it's a great take on the werewolf genre. I've kind of had this one sitting on the backburner for a while. The "That Gal" challenge just gave me the excuse I needed to watch it. Brigitte, the younger sister from the first movie, is now a werewolf herself and doing everything she can to keep the transformation at bay. She's also being stalked by another werewolf. Unfortunately, she winds up in a rehab facility without her wolfsbane injections and her transformation starts to take effect. She eventually escapes, though not without drama, and continues to go on the run with the help of Ghost, a younger girl at the rehab center. Ghost is probably the worst part of the movie for me. She's just a little too crazy and off and her role later in the movie feels unnecessary. All the same, I still enjoyed this movie just fine. It's not as good as the first, but it's still decent.

:spooky: 3/5

"That Gal" Challenge (featuring Veronica Cartwright and Katharine Isabelle)
Katharine Isabelle returns as Ginger. Sort of.

Movies: 1. Pin, 2. Candyman, 3. Blood Quantum, 4. Critters, 5. Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

6- Assault on Preceint 13
:spooky:Bite the Bullet:spooky:

I went through a huge Carpenter phase like 20 years ago, but this was one of the few I never got around to, and and it never seemed to be streaming anywhere. I complained about that in the main thread and someone pointed out it was on Tubi now, so I can finally check it off my list.
It's definitely an early work, but it's pretty solid and you can see the bits of Carpenter that get refined in his later stuff. It's no Thing, sure, but hey it's no Ward either.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
if you need a horror movie for this challenge, the movie of the month is up and its a horror flick
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4059927

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

:spooky: Eat your loving slop! :spooky:

5) Bloodbath at the House of Death (1984)

This was going to be my pick for Haematology, but it squeezed in at 5.0 on IMDB and frankly that's a generous score.

Some scientists investigate a house where people were murdered by cultists.
It stars Kenny Everett and Pamela Stevenson and one of the writers was Barry Cryer. These were big names in British comedy, plus it has Vincent Price so I gave it a go.
The positives: there's some effort and production value gone in to this.
The cons: it's not funny. I didn't smile once. A bad comedy is miserable to watch and boring to talk about so I'll end here. Don't recommend.

Total/New to me: 5/4

The Fly (1958); The Fly (1986); Ghostwatch (1992); Venom (2018); Bloodbath at the House of Death (1984)

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

5. I Like Bats(1985)

Watched On: Tubi
BATS AREN'T BUGS!! Challenge

Well this isn't entirely what I expected at a brush. I don't think I've ever seen a vampire comedy about a beautiful, modern day (at the time) Polish vampiress, who's ghostly grandfather and very alive antique dealing aunt just want her to settle down with a nice man. She is also constantly beset by perverts, sleazoids, and other such unsavory characters that frequently seem to end up drained of their life fluids and sometimes exploded. I'd be lying if I said I totally got everything going on here, I think there's some cultural elements that I just don't have the context for, which is to be expected. That aside though I Like Bats is pretty dang fun and shot well to my amateur eye, with some really popping colors in scenes. I honestly wish I had something more insightful to say about the experience but I found myself really caught up in how offbeat the movie was and didn't take as many notes as I normally would.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

6. Poltergeist (1982)
What can I even say about this that hasn't been said already thousands of times over? Poltergeist rules.

:spooky: 5/5

Movies: 1. Pin, 2. Candyman, 3. Blood Quantum, 4. Critters, 5. Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed, 6. Poltergeist

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Challenge 1 ("Eat your loving slop!"): Ouija Shark (2020)
Slop that has a grand total Letterboxd rating of 1.8 out of 5 and a 1.9 out of 10 on IMDB. I had low to no hopes for this to be fun or in any way good, but I had some laughs at it, mainly because whoever was in charge of props decided that instead of buying a ouija board, they should instead use a Papyrus stencil and a Sharpie and just write the ouija layout onto a piece of rotting wood. No shark puns and also no food or drinks for the nearly-naked actresses during the 'wow that was a hell of a meal' scene.

Felt like a notch down from a Donald Farmer movie, but with no vomiting or writhing on the ground.

:spooky: 2/5

Challenge 3 (What's in a Name?): Bad Ronald (1974)
This was an interesting one. Felt very modern; rare to see the 'person hiding in the walls of your house' trope from the side of the person hiding in the walls of your house. Nice soundtrack, quite well paced and played. May increase this rating if I ever rewatch it.

:spooky: 2.5/5

Challenge 8 (They Ruined It!) The Wizard of Gore (1970), The Wizard of Gore(2007)
Original:
I went through a phase in my teens of watching Herschel Gordon Lewis movies, so this was a rewatch with about 20 years of distance from my first watch. I love how goofy Lewis' movies are: actors in his movies seem to not understand that 'people die when they are killed', so you end up with a lot of blinking and moving corpses. Still a fun watch, just as I remembered, I'm sure it won't be tarnished in any way by someone making a lovely remake of it-

Remake:
Well, at least Crispin Glover looked like he was having fun.

:spooky: Original: 2.5/5 Remake: 0.5/5

Movies Watched So Far: Candy Corn, Children of the Corn: Revelation, Ouija Shark, Bad Ronald, The Wizard of Gore (1970), The Wizard of Gore (2007)
Challenges Completed So Far: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

9) Infested - 2024 - Shudder

Plot follows Kaleb, a guy who's working the black market shoe racket who has dreams of opening up a zoo dedicated to exotic species. He buys an unknown species of spider from his shoe supplier which of course goes horribly wrong.

Overall, the film's not bad. The setting of a crappy rundown apartment complex in an equally crappy area really worked. I've lived in my share of them, so I connected with the tenants especially with dealing with a landlord who's such a skinflint that Scrooge would've told them to spend more than a few pennies on things. The spider effects were nicely done. The director used huntsman spiders for the live action which is a refreshing change from the usual tarantula go-to.

That said, the film does have it's flaws. The speed which the spiders breed and web doesn't quite fit for the timeframe of the film. It's as if they're splitting like amoebas spitting webs on the spot. They also grow super fast, like you'd expect to see visible growth just staring at one. The sheer amount of stupid mistakes made by the characters did get to where my eye was ready to twitch. Granted, this is a horror movie and someone has to do something stupid at least once, but here, it's pushing the boundaries. For example, we see the care Kaleb takes for the critters that dominate his room. They're all in as well as can be maintained tanks, yet he puts his new unknown species spider in a shoebox to go bicker with his sister, which it gets out from. Same goes for when he finds the burst egg cocoon. He's more 'oh my spider's loose' than 'wait, it laid eggs and they hatched already???'. The stupidity compounds to the ending. The police have quarantined the building to keep the spiders in while working on dealing with the spiders, which honestly with how rundown the building is and how fast the spiders breed, I was expecting the ending with the spiders are taking over the neighborhood ala Kingdom of the Spiders. Instead, Kaleb and group decide they're going to escape from the building anyway. They come across the police who are in the parking garage, working from there on the spiders, but because they're not moving fast enough, Kaleb's group kills the power, lets the police get overrun by spiders and break the quarantine. It skips ahead to the building getting demolished with it leaving it unknown whether the spiders were all dealt with or did some escape.

Flaws aside, I did enjoy the film. I'm not sure why some were expecting something goofy or silly since there was nothing in the trailer to give that impression. I do recommend this one.

Crescent Wrench posted:

:spooky: The Challenges: :spooky:
11. BATS AREN'T BUGS!!
Watch a film featuring bats or bugs as the monsters and/or in the title.
(Spiders, terrestrial arthropods, etc. are bugs.)

10) I Was A Teenaged Wereskunk - 2016 - TubiTV

To absolutely no one's surprise, I've had this on my watchlists for years.

Plot follows Curtis, a wholesome kinda naive guy who after an encounter with a skunk becomes a wereskunk every time he gets frisky. The film's a spoof/parody of the 50s era teenage monster films. While the various vintage parody/homage/spoof films are hit or miss with the concept, this one hits a bit more than misses.

Pretty much if you've watched enough 50s era drive in horror, you know the pattern to expect. Cool cats, hep chicks, rockin' tunes, the malt shop, that's all here with bonus points for a theme song for the movie. The film also hits with a lot of the subtle aesthetic touches invoking the era. Some of the humor didn't land for me, such as the cop who keeps making modern references like DNA evidence and Harry Potter only to get confused about the references. Most of the characters were appropriately over the top, though Deputy Gary did get grating after a point. I wasn't sure where they were going to go with the ending, but it was actually pretty adorable.

I recommend this one for a fun watch.

Crescent Wrench posted:

:spooky: The Challenges: :spooky:

9. Bite the Bullet
Watch a film you've been putting off. Something languishing on your watchlist for years? A Blu-Ray you bought on sale that's just gathering dust? An unseen classic you just assumed you'd get around to some day? Now's the time.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Need a ruling about the remake challenge; do both movies count towards the one challenge, or could you use, say, the original for one challenge and the remake for "they ruined it"?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

Need a ruling about the remake challenge; do both movies count towards the one challenge, or could you use, say, the original for one challenge and the remake for "they ruined it"?

This still gets you to 13 movies, and the chance to discuss two challenges at once could be fun, so I think this is fair enough.

:spooky: OFFICIAL CHALLENGE RULING #3: :spooky: One of the films you use for the "They Ruined It!" challenge may also be applied to another challenge. (But note that at least one of the films applied to "They Ruined it!" must still be new to you.)

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
can we get a ruling on how much of a challenge completion post is too much

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm happy to answer the question, but I don't understand it.

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023

Crescent Wrench posted:

I'm happy to answer the question, but I don't understand it.

i will see if i can clarify

swamp thong
Nov 6, 2023
the block island sound
tubin challenge

TITLE MEDIA:

a boat, somwhere off the coast of somewhere. Our man, ginger, beautiful, blue eyes, potentially drunk. A fish, surprise? shock? A rope. A locket? Coin. Not good I think. There's sounds, they aren't friendly. It's the block island sound. Mind control ftw. Insects and house cats be doing it. They're doing parsites of the toxoplasmosis. Eat the mice, lunch, meals of wheels. It's true. One brainwashed human being bringing you food every 5 minutes. Carol baker is a babe. A slave to her overlords (maybe jewish?). We're leaving Jerry behind. Sea creatures came out of the depths, they used parasites to convince the sailors to become chum. Holy poo poo this movie rules already.

One roadkill, it's still alive. Our resident 4chan user can't do poo poo. It's up to the normal guy to do nothing instead. He insists it's dead. Car wash time. Home to check on Dad can wait. We're home now. Freezer open, cold stuff ruined. Dog barks. It's not Dad. But Dad is there. Dad? Dog's barking. A new day. Normal, good, everything is fine. It's busy. That's life, especially when the kid wants milk. You know you don't have milk. Time for a field trip.

12:00. Coffee. Then Dad. He took the boat out, his memory, unreliable. West beach, a problem with fish, many dead. A lot. Emily's morbid curiosity sets in. She's not bad, it's just curious. It's confusing... Does it happen to everyone?

A coffee table smell, is it the fish are simply overbreeding? DaD wants emily to have a dad.

Then, more dead fish. Hypoxia? Time to catch frogs.

Ominous growls. Dad looks hosed. Daughter notices. Dad shocked back to reality. He's fine.

Audrey.. Dad's fine, how about you try raising an old man. He's good.

Motherly duties, Emily has something from Uncle Harry, frog.

Frogs die...

Fish die...

Why? They simply were not brave enough.

Lots of death, fish death. 12:18. Clock is also not doing well.

Dad. Dad is not looking good now. Dad is doing weird poo poo. Daughter screams. Dad is lurching over her, she had a nightmare. Dad's fine.

She's okay, she's a sweetheart.

Probably a nightmare. It's a strange place. What happened?

They can leave now, Audrey and Emily. But breakfast first.

Ferry leaves at noon. Packing required. Dad.. Where's Dad?

Emily saw him, is she sure it was last night though? Could she have potentially thought it was a different night when she wasnt there? It's fine. We found him, he's at west beach, but ok? A ransack, a noise. A block island noise? Radio shot.

Jesus christ. Mayday. Things are at an ominous peak. The cops arrive. One of them, is reasonable. The other is rifling through their poo poo. Odds seem bad, especially if he doesn't come home. And every day he doesn't come home? Worse.

The cops are doing all they can. It's not the first time Dad drank on a boat, the cops are sorry, dad was a good guy, but they'll keep a look out till morning. Thank you.

Interpersonal relations ensue. Paranoia, why can't he occam's razor? Dad drinks too much, and now.. Even the cops can't save him.

Harry looks for Dad. Audrey has conversations. Police drive with lights activated. Dad's dead. Piss boils. Harry drinks.

Lots of fish are dying. Just like Dad? Why?

Audrey still having conversations. Harry having bad dreams. Harry having bad times. Harry having family dinner. Harry having family bonding. Harry not doing so good in life. Harry drink like Dad.

Harry decides to kill a deer and take a boat ride after Dad complains about deer. Police do good work and find Harry also likes to drink. Harry not doing so good now. Maybe it's windmills. A man does interpersonal relations with Audrey, ulterior motives are in the air. Evidence of a conspiracy, the government is in on it. Self-doubt, but what else is there to do? Where's my six pack.

Dog? Boat ride. The truth, finally revealed, horror defeated, hangover ensues but wheres dog? Heaven. Ulterior motives rears its head, but it's not time for that yet. The woodsman knows the value of a stiff drink.

Then.. Ulterior motives rear their head again, the woodsman found too late. Girl is all that matters now. Ulterior motives? Maybe not. It's confusing.

7/10, above good, but not quite great.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Challenge 7 ("That Gal"): The Witches of Eastwick (1987)
Featuring Veronica Cartwright as Felicia. This is one I've had on my watchlist for years and had been putting off for a long time (won't be using it for 'Bite the Bullet'; I have another movie earmarked for that), and man I regret putting this one off. It was great fun, every actor looked like they were having fun with their roles in this, especially Susan Sarandon. I really need to watch more George Miller movies. Outside of this I've only seen the 4 Mad Max movies and Babe: Pig in the City.

:spooky: 4/5

Movies Watched So Far: Candy Corn, Children of the Corn: Revelation, Ouija Shark, Bad Ronald, The Wizard of Gore (1970), The Wizard of Gore (2007), The Witches of Eastwick
Challenges Completed So Far: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Just for clarification, Godzilla movies do count here right? I'm thinking about peppering in some that I'm missing in between challenges.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

swamp thong posted:

the block island sound
tubin challenge

This was the precise word count I was looking for, good work. Use this as your template going forward.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Count Thrashula posted:

Just for clarification, Godzilla movies do count here right? I'm thinking about peppering in some that I'm missing in between challenges.

I think Godzilla movies are generally fine. I'm no expert, I think some of them skew closer to horror conventions than others. But there's never a bad time to watch monster movies, especially if you're using them in-between challenges. I guess I would say if you do want to apply any to a challenge then choose one that's generally filed under horror.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Crescent Wrench posted:

I think Godzilla movies are generally fine. I'm no expert, I think some of them skew closer to horror conventions than others. But there's never a bad time to watch monster movies, especially if you're using them in-between challenges. I guess I would say if you do want to apply any to a challenge then choose one that's generally filed under horror.

Makes sense to me. Thanks!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Blood Monkey

Well this was just a snoozer of a movie. I knew it would be very low budget but I still expect a better effort in terms of special effects if you're making a creature feature. And I say "effort" because I don't even mean the end result has to be good, I just want to feel like you tried. Blood Monkey doesn't even try, it seemed like instead of having any monkeys in the movie at all they took that money and just gave it to F. Murray Abraham. I get why you'd want someone like him to try to elevate this level of production, but the bottom line is you ended up with a movie called Blood Monkey that has about 1.5 seconds of monkey in it.

About the only positive I can talk about is that they at least went out to a jungle environment and shot the movie there. This isn't one of those movies where everything is cheap greenscreen, so you do have some nice looking scenery. Of course, there's not a whole lot of interesting framing or composition or directing in general so everything pretty flat with that shot-on-video look. Still, the bright greens in the movie are nice. I'm reaching here for anything nice to say and "the green color of the trees was nice to look at" is all I'm coming up with so there you have it.

1. Arachnia(Eat Your loving Slop!)2. Terror in the Crypt(Moonlighting)3. Blood Monkey(Hematology)

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

12. Love Lies Bleeding (2024)

That sure was a loving ride. I'm so glad we're seeing the welcome return of the erotic thriller, and this sure is a tense, nasty, slick, sweaty, dirty affair. Kristen Stewart continues to be a complete gem, and Katy O'Brian deserves to be a star too. A lot of props to Ed Harris apparently channelling loving Satan in his performance too, just this dark cloud that rolls in and out of scenes at will. Also straight in to near the top of my list of favourite needledrops for having the guts to put Throbbing Gristle's Hamburger Lady in a mainstream movie.

4 out of 5!

Challenge: Hematology

Watched so far: Mirror Mirror 2, Tremors 7, Infested, Death Machine, The Scary of Sixty-One, Little Evil, The Bye Bye Man, The Wrath of Becky, Safe, Cape Fear '62, Cape Fear '91, Love Lies Bleeding

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 18:46 on May 3, 2024

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Crescent Wrench posted:

6. Stop! Stop! He's Already Dead!
Watch a film that is the sixth or later entry in a horror franchise (loosely interpreted, you can count remakes, spin-offs, or even movies with an iconic character like Dracula). No need to have seen all the prior movies--have fun jumping directly into Puppet Master 15 because you hate yourself.

#4. Gamera 2: Attack of Legion (Purchased on iTunes)

A year after the events of the previous film, Gamera returns from the sea to protect humanity after a meteor shower unleashes an alien bug menace on the cities of Japan.

They called the 11th Gamera film Gamera 2 lol lmao.

I watched the first film of the Shusuke Kaneko Gamera trilogy for the May Challenge a few years' back, and I remember being only kinda sorta tepid on that film overall; I believe I called it "safe" and lamented that the film didn't embrace Gamera's weird-younger-cousin energy compared to the Godzilla series. Part 2 looks to rectify that attitude, with a ridiculously elaborate and ungainly giant alien metal bug monster costume for Gamera to punch at, plus a whole bunch of miniature weird bugs for swarming scenes. (And to give the human sized actors something of similar stature to deal with, but that always comes across as extraneous.)

I appreciated the beginning and ending scenes set in more snowy climes, which is a bit rarer to see in the later color era kaiju monster films. I appreciated a lot of the model work and the effort made into knocking them over and blowing them apart. I can appreciate that the film went for more anime trappings with some of the fighting moves, though I wish they could have set up Gamera's giant gently caress-off Spirit Bomb Kamehameha blast at the big finale, so that it didn't feel like such an unexpected rear end-pull out of a desperation to just end the movie already. I was indifferent to the human element of the story, but that's about as good as you can reasonably expect from most of these kinds of films - not being annoying or deadeningly boring is actually a massive step up.

I dunno, I was fine with this film, and for being the middle chapter in an attempted reboot/rebrand of a long-running and little-respected Japanese monster movie series, it acquits itself well enough. I just never really saw a whole lot of "there" there in the whole endeavor, and while I know that this is generally well-regarded among fans of these kinds of movies, I don't really know what they were seeing in it beyond a nice enough surface.

:ghost::ghost::ghost:/5

Watched so far: The Gorgon, Cutting Class, Infested, Gamera 2

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Crescent Wrench posted:

This still gets you to 13 movies, and the chance to discuss two challenges at once could be fun, so I think this is fair enough.

:spooky: OFFICIAL CHALLENGE RULING #3: :spooky: One of the films you use for the "They Ruined It!" challenge may also be applied to another challenge. (But note that at least one of the films applied to "They Ruined it!" must still be new to you.)

So to clarify before I watch two movies : I have seen the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers (and god knows how many remakes), but not the 1978 one with Veronica Cartwright. If I rewatch the original and the 1978, does that count for both They Ruined It! And the That Gal challenge?

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

So to clarify before I watch two movies : I have seen the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers (and god knows how many remakes), but not the 1978 one with Veronica Cartwright. If I rewatch the original and the 1978, does that count for both They Ruined It! And the That Gal challenge?

I had to write it out to parse this, but it would be acceptable because:

That Gal--Must be new to you. You're watching Invasion of the Bodysnatches (1978) for the first time. (Which is great, because it's really good.)

They Ruined It!--At least one of the two must be new to you. Invasion 1978 is new to you. You can only use one of the two for another additional challenge, and you're only using 1978 for another challenge.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Crescent Wrench posted:

I had to write it out to parse this, but it would be acceptable because:

That Gal--Must be new to you. You're watching Invasion of the Bodysnatches (1978) for the first time. (Which is great, because it's really good.)

They Ruined It!--At least one of the two must be new to you. Invasion 1978 is new to you. You can only use one of the two for another additional challenge, and you're only using 1978 for another challenge.

Yeah, sorry. Of course I had to come up with the most complicated edge case possible.

Thanks!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Of course I had to come up with the most complicated edge case possible.

I'm a lawyer, I knew what I was getting myself info when I drafted the rules. :spooky:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Also, I want to say we've absolutely been killing it. The thread went live on Monday morning, we're really just heading into our first weekend right now, and we've ALREADY hit triple digits with

:spooky: 101 unique films watched so far! :spooky:

Keep em coming!

Crescent Wrench fucked around with this message at 00:48 on May 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Don't blame me, the World Snooker Championship is on until Monday and that comes before horror movies.