Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

Lib and let die posted:

Id like to take a moment and draw a parallel here between the current student protests and the sit-ins of the civil rights era - I suppose under your framework that the operators of whites-only restaurants were justified in calling in the police since the civil rights protesters were acting on private property where they weren't welcome?

Legally, yes they were and that created confrontations with authorities that drew attention to unjust laws and potentially laid the groundwork for court cases that could overturn those laws. Similarly Rosa Parks intended to be arrested to draw attention so laws could be changed. Absent a response from authorities it’s merely mildly disruptive and nothing changes - the response and confrontation is the entire point of the exercise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

PT6A posted:

No, it's quite true, I say this as CanPol's favourite punching bag.

I'd rather not continue that derail at all beyond confirming for you that that claim is false.

studio mujahideen posted:

So you haven't actually read any of the actual demands written by the organizers of any of the protests, that all of the students at the protests are there to support.

The biggest demand in nearly all of these cases is control over their schools' endowments. Endowments exist and are managed with the goal of ensuring that the associated institution can continue operating over the long term, and catering to a lunatic fringe of students who will be gone in four years is inherently incompatible with that objective.

I realize that every freshman thinks to some extent that they know more about how to run their college or university than the administrators, but there's no reason for the administrators to pretend that's remotely true.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Papf posted:

I never denied that those individuals exist, but I assure you they are few and far between and constitute a silent minority. Walk into your average university in the country (or, hell, just read the front page of CNN), and you'll see a whole swath of tent-bound trespassers—calling mommy and daddy as they get dragged away into cop cars—but very few (if any) peaceful protestors trying to raise funds diplomatically for a cause they believe in. Ultimately, if the latter were significantly more plentiful, you wouldn't be hearing about any of this because that doesn't produce lucrative headlines.

The protests aren't about raising funds, they're about getting the universities to divest from defense contractors and israel. Protests are basically never about raising funds. Protest is about being so disruptive and so loud that you're unignorable, that the conversation must turn towards your actions and thereby your cause. It sounds like you just hate protest in general.

tagesschau posted:

I'd rather not continue that derail at all beyond confirming for you that that claim is false.

The biggest demand in nearly all of these cases is control over their schools' endowments. Endowments exist and are managed with the goal of ensuring that the associated institution can continue operating over the long term, and catering to a lunatic fringe of students who will be gone in four years is inherently incompatible with that objective.

I realize that every freshman thinks to some extent that they know more about how to run their college or university than the administrators, but there's no reason for the administrators to pretend that's remotely true.

Your argument seems to boil down to some sort of implicit claim one has ever run a sustainable portfolio without investing in war and apartheid states and the cold intellectual fund managers know better. This isn't a protest about allocation of funds for a better return, it's a moral stand.

Surely this time the activists are wrong about boycotting the apartheid state, surely the universities won't look like the people who scoffed at boycotting South Africa.

Kagrenak fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 2, 2024

Papf
May 2, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

studio mujahideen posted:

So you haven't actually read any of the actual demands written by the organizers of any of the protests, that all of the students at the protests are there to support.

This idea has little to no merit. Every protest in history—regardless of its productivity—has had demands, as there would be no point in congregating in the first place if nothing would come from it. Hell, snot-nosed toddlers have demands for their parents. Does that make them champions of democracy? Hostage-takers and terrorists all compose a list of demands. Does that make the 9/11 hijackers justified in their pursuits and/or negate all of their misdeeds as long as they hope to achieve something noble? Unless you believe the ends justify the means, which is an inherently flawed philosophy, the answer is no.

At the end of the day, simply writing a formal list of demands is neither difficult nor impressive. And it certainly doesn't excuse committing crimes for a good cause, especially when said crimes interfere with a bystander's ability to access buildings that they pay thousands of dollars to enter.

Papf
May 2, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Kagrenak posted:

The protests aren't about raising funds, they're about getting the universities to divest from defense contractors and israel. Protests are basically never about raising funds. Protest is about being so disruptive and so loud that you're unignorable, that the conversation must turn towards your actions and thereby your cause. It sounds like you just hate protest in general.

Your argument seems to boil down to some sort of implicit claim one has ever run a sustainable portfolio without investing in war and apartheid states and the cold intellectual fund managers know better. This isn't a protest about allocation of funds for a better return, it's a moral stand.

Surely this time the activists are wrong about boycotting the apartheid state, surely the universities won't look like the people who scoffed at boycotting South Africa.

If that's what you believe a protest is, I believe we have fundamentally different definitions of what constitutes a protest.

Were civil rights activists in the '50s and '60s "loud and disruptive?" Of course not. They were civil and well-spoken, which was the whole point and entirely why MLK is so revered.

Papf fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 2, 2024

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Also if you believe that following the law is "remaining neutral" on something then I don't even know where to begin. The law is a position someone else has taken, you are not refraining from moral judgement you are adhering to somebody else's moral judgement, and doing that does not absolve you of the impact of that judgement. I can only assume you do not teach history because that is a staggeringly ignorant position to take.

Even then, you still have to make a moral judgment on which laws are good and which are bad to follow.

Otherwise we'd have to agree with the massacre of Tianenman Square protestors who were, after all, breaking the law.

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

Papf posted:

If that's what you believe a protest is, I believe we have fundamentally different definitions of what constitutes a protest.

Were civil rights activists in the '50s and '60s "loud and disruptive?" Of course not. They were civil and well-spoken, which was the whole point and entirely why MLK is so revered.

This is an absurd whitewashing of MLK and MLK wasn't the sole actor in the civil rights movement. MLK was fairly fastidiously non violent but he sure as hell wasn't non disruptive or quiet. He in fact was jailed many times for disrupting service at white only establishments by demanding service. All of his matches were severely disruptive to the normal business of the towns where they occurred, as marches are. King was unpopular during his time yet still made progress on his goals because of his disruptive tactics.

He also supported student led sit-ins like the one that got aggressively cleared from the building at Columbia:

https://kinginstitute.stanford.edu/sit-ins

This is all without even mentioning Malcon X, who undoubtedly provided a violent reminder of what was waiting of you didn't take King seriously.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owling Howl posted:

Legally, yes they were and that created confrontations with authorities that drew attention to unjust laws and potentially laid the groundwork for court cases that could overturn those laws. Similarly Rosa Parks intended to be arrested to draw attention so laws could be changed. Absent a response from authorities it’s merely mildly disruptive and nothing changes - the response and confrontation is the entire point of the exercise.

Absent a response from the authorities, segregation would be ended, since there would be no one stopping black people from going into whites only establishments, sitting in bus seats reserved for whites, etc. (And that did happen occasionally, some restaurants did give in and start serving everyone to make the sit-ins stop, some Southern cities did negotiate an end to segregation, others did not). The point of the exercise was ending segregation, the protestors did not want to be beaten to expose the immorality of the authorities, but they were willing to be, if necessary. Important difference.

Beating and jailing black people for defying segregation may have been legal, but was it moral? Was it the right thing to do, or would it have been better to have changed the law without beating anyone.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 2, 2024

Kagrenak
Sep 8, 2010

I think it's more accurate to characterize arrest and potential violence inflicted against you as a protestor as a calculated risk you take. It's not the point and you can still have an effective protest without it, but history shows that it's an exceedingly likely outcome of any protest action. One has to be prepared for it and ideally have media embedded to make the most of it if it does happen

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Papf posted:

Wow, you have no goddamn idea what you're talking about.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

Papf posted:

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Papf posted:

I hate to rain on this parade, but I think something worth acknowledging here is the demographic we're discussing. i.e., a vast majority of the protestors are impressionable high school and college students, many of whom likely could not identify Palestine (or the Levant in general) on a map before October 7. Why are we already proclaiming these kids martyrs and revolutionaries even though 99% of them could not give the slightest poo poo about the conflict before it became glamorized in the cultural zeitgeist? More so, many of them are just Caucasian bourgeois silver spoon-wielding suburbanites, which just makes them disingenuous white saviors at best.

Look, I'm all for people trying to make the world a better place, but we've seen this movie before. Supporting Palestine has become trendy, and these "protestors" know that, just as boomers realized about Vietnam in the '60s, so instead of showering them with praise, give them the harsh truth: people are dying, and exploiting their suffering for applause is not admirable—it just makes you look like a loving tool.

Your posts here aren't to make any sort of argument or try to convince anyone but yourself of anything -- they're a self-soothing coping technique because you desperately want the genocide conducted by the apartheid ethnostate to be something other than it is. Your appeals to "exploiting suffering" are fully cynical; you don't care about the suffering, nor do you actually believe that students are just protesting to be popular or find it "glamorous". You desperately wish for these things to be true, because it would untangle the knot you feel in your gut when you see another Palestinian parent holding the ruined body of their child or the tiktok of laughing, dancing IOF soldiers destroying another home or hospital that can't be reconciled against your warm feelings for israel. You can't square this with students (or anyone else, really) putting their educations, careers, and bodies on the line to protest this injustice. They must be wrong about this somehow. They can't really be doing this with any sense of moral clarity, because what would that say about me? This is why you (re)registered, this is why you're posting here. You know, on some level, that what you're saying is ridiculous, completely ahistorical, cynical, and outrageously reductive. None of that matters because it's not written for anyone but yourself.

Before you go and smash that report button, please understand that I am only extending to you the same regard and intellectual courtesy you are extending to these students and faculty.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Papf
May 2, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Pentecoastal Elites posted:

Your posts here aren't to make any sort of argument or try to convince anyone but yourself of anything -- they're a self-soothing coping technique because you desperately want the genocide conducted by the apartheid ethnostate to be something other than it is. Your appeals to "exploiting suffering" are fully cynical; you don't care about the suffering, nor do you actually believe that students are just protesting to be popular or find it "glamorous". You desperately wish for these things to be true, because it would untangle the knot you feel in your gut when you see another Palestinian parent holding the ruined body of their child or the tiktok of laughing, dancing IOF soldiers destroying another home or hospital that can't be reconciled against your warm feelings for israel. You can't square this with students (or anyone else, really) putting their educations, careers, and bodies on the line to protest this injustice. They must be wrong about this somehow. They can't really be doing this with any sense of moral clarity, because what would that say about me? This is why you (re)registered, this is why you're posting here. You know, on some level, that what you're saying is ridiculous, completely ahistorical, cynical, and outrageously reductive. None of that matters because it's not written for anyone but yourself.

Before you go and smash that report button, please understand that I am only extending to you the same regard and intellectual courtesy you are extending to these students and faculty.

Isn't it about time you beg for some fellatio from your senile old mother, you pseudo-psychologist prick?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Papf
May 2, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

cat botherer posted:

Wow, you have no goddamn idea what you're talking about.

Whatever lets you sleep at night.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Papf posted:

Isn't it about time you beg for some fellatio from your senile old mother, you pseudo-psychologist prick?

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, but you’re definitely a moronic dickhead.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Papf posted:

Again, I am only extending to you the same regard with which you treat these students and faculty. If it feels bad and unfair that should be a signal for you to engage in a little introspection.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Papf posted:

Whatever lets you sleep at night.

You are saying that because the legacy of the civil rights movement has been recuperated, which is the name for the process by which radical, dangerous political ideas which are (at least partially) successful, are turned into support for the legitimacy of the governing powers.

MLK was not universally respected, the civil rights protests were not non-disruptive, and certainly were not considered to be so at the time they were occuring. What has happened since then is that their legacy has been co-opted, their tactics have been mischaracterised, and they are now held up by people like you as "the good ones" to disparage and denigrate future radicals who follow the same tactics. The state is good, and kind, and magnanimously bowed to the respectful petition of the good kind of protestors when they politely pointed out that it was wrong. This is the proper process, if you do not follow the proper process then your demands simply do not deserve consideration.

What you are displaying is simply your own ignorance of history.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If nothing else, the notion that somebody can be so universally revered that they get shot in the loving neck and murdered, raises questions about what you think reverence means.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

If nothing else, the notion that somebody can be so universally revered that they get shot in the loving neck and murdered, raises questions about what you think reverence means.

I posted quotes from the MLK white moderate speech (apparently that’s trolling!) earlier in the thread in regards to Apartheid Academic. I think the new regreg guy gave himself away by doing the MLK post but he does seem to be posting like someone who is actually angry and white moderates are incredibly loving stupid so who knows maybe it’s not a bit.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

OwlFancier posted:

MLK was not universally respected, the civil rights protests were not non-disruptive, and certainly were not considered to be so at the time they were occuring. What has happened since then is that their legacy has been co-opted, their tactics have been mischaracterised, and they are now held up by people like you as "the good ones" to disparage and denigrate future radicals who follow the same tactics.

to enhance the point, in 1966 martin luther king was polled at 63% unfavorable, and that includes 40% of all americans rating him as the maximally allowed unfavorability rating. for the majority of americans he was a horrible domestic terrorist intentionally bringing chaos and unnecessary violence to unseat important american norms, a person who needed to be denounced in the strongest possible terms. two years earlier he was almost the most loathed public figure, just ahead of george wallace

always in commentary and polls he was 'doing more harm than good' and his actions were regrettable and radical and probably an infiltration of foreign destabilizers. even when he got murdered one in three americans was like "eh he brought it on himself"

it would take a long time for history to vindicate his actions, then turn him into an icon, then in degrees turn him into a Magical History Negro that modern day regressive scolds can point to and say "why couldn't you have done this in the respectable way, like our hero Martin Luther King Jr, a goodly well spoken fellow who would no doubt be shocked and appalled with the same things i disagree with"

i just want to put all that out there as a preface to the part where i loving hate, just actually viscerally hate when people like papf play into that sort of thing, and can't really respond to it very fairly beyond this because i won't maintain a requisite level of civility towards tenacious whitewashing and tokenizing of civil rights era figures to selectively justify modern day contentious issues, like the current anti-israel protests that will have to exist in similarly poor popular reception, force change through disruption and disorder from popular protest of ongoing atrocities, and be similarly retconned in history

so the less MLK comes up like this after this, the better

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Genocide and apartheid supporters are generally uncool hangs imho

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

Papf posted:

don't care if you're banned, i ain't been able to stop laughing at this since i read it

idiot

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

World Famous W posted:

don't care if you're banned, i ain't been able to stop laughing at this since i read it

idiot

Oh Don’t worry he’ll probably send you some really funny PMs if he hasn’t already

Fish of hemp
Apr 1, 2011

A friendly little mouse!
I thought "revered MLK" was a bit? :confused:

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Butter Activities posted:

Genocide and apartheid supporters are generally uncool hangs imho

I think they are very cool hangs like Benny M

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Fish of hemp posted:

I thought "revered MLK" was a bit? :confused:

It is sort of a necessary conclusion if you believe the apparently sincerely advanced position earlier that only non disruptive protests should be tolerated.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Edit: repeating point nvm

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
I can't summarize the current moment better than Eli, so I'll just re-post him here:

Source: https://jewishcurrents.org/campus-in-crisis

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

Papf posted:

have you....

have you actually read any history from that time? like at all!?

Martin Luther King Jr was stalked by the FBI and assassinated. What is revered is a sanitized distorted version of him that stripped him of his more radical views on economics or the Vietnam War, another appalling travesty our ruling class forced on us.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

Papf posted:

This idea has little to no merit. Every protest in history—regardless of its productivity—has had demands, as there would be no point in congregating in the first place if nothing would come from it. Hell, snot-nosed toddlers have demands for their parents. Does that make them champions of democracy? Hostage-takers and terrorists all compose a list of demands. Does that make the 9/11 hijackers justified in their pursuits and/or negate all of their misdeeds as long as they hope to achieve something noble? Unless you believe the ends justify the means, which is an inherently flawed philosophy, the answer is no.

At the end of the day, simply writing a formal list of demands is neither difficult nor impressive. And it certainly doesn't excuse committing crimes for a good cause, especially when said crimes interfere with a bystander's ability to access buildings that they pay thousands of dollars to enter.

Won't somebody think of the landscaping?! There was grass that was walked on! There was even a sign saying not to!

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

That made me cry.

Edit I am going book mark this and shove it in the faces that say protest does not matter. Because those encampments matter to those kids in Gaza.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 4, 2024

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

VitalSigns posted:

Absent a response from the authorities, segregation would be ended, since there would be no one stopping black people from going into whites only establishments, sitting in bus seats reserved for whites, etc. (And that did happen occasionally, some restaurants did give in and start serving everyone to make the sit-ins stop, some Southern cities did negotiate an end to segregation, others did not). The point of the exercise was ending segregation, the protestors did not want to be beaten to expose the immorality of the authorities, but they were willing to be, if necessary. Important difference.

Beating and jailing black people for defying segregation may have been legal, but was it moral? Was it the right thing to do, or would it have been better to have changed the law without beating anyone.

Of course it would be better to not use violence. However, when laws enjoy wide popular and political support it is naive to think force will not be used to enforce them. Segregation at least locally had popular and political support. You challenge it to highlight injustice which may or may not lead to some form of change but in doing so you challenge the authority of the state which has a power monopoly.

Look, when Climate Rebellion glues themselves to an intersection we don’t just declare the intersection lost lest we interfere with free speech. I think it is pretty clear that society can’t function if anyone can shut down an institution or piece of infrastructure to protest their chosen cause. I completely respect it is as a tactic to bring the issue to the forefront of public discourse but there’s necessarily limits to the disruption the state can tolerate.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owling Howl posted:

Look, when Climate Rebellion glues themselves to an intersection we don’t just declare the intersection lost lest we interfere with free speech. I think it is pretty clear that society can’t function if anyone can shut down an institution or piece of infrastructure to protest their chosen cause. I completely respect it is as a tactic to bring the issue to the forefront of public discourse but there’s necessarily limits to the disruption the state can tolerate.

Why though. Climate change is a legitimate emergency, wouldn't it make more sense to address the very real problems that are prompting people to protest in the first place? Instead of just jumping to cracking skulls?

Aren't you just agreeing with the Chinese government here? The Tinanmen protesters were trespassing after all. And their presence was disrupting an important state visit by the head of the Soviet Union! What were they supposed to do, just declare the square lost forever because some students weren't satisfied with writing a polite letter outlining their grievances? *sound of rounds clicking into chambers*

Owling Howl
Jul 17, 2019

VitalSigns posted:

Why though. Climate change is a legitimate emergency, wouldn't it make more sense to address the very real problems that are prompting people to protest in the first place? Instead of just jumping to cracking skulls?

Aren't you just agreeing with the Chinese government here? The Tinanmen protesters were trespassing after all. And their presence was disrupting an important state visit by the head of the Soviet Union! What were they supposed to do, just declare the square lost forever because some students weren't satisfied with writing a polite letter outlining their grievances? *sound of rounds clicking into chambers*

Well what if it causes you don’t agree with? There were protesters blocking the entrances to schools when the segregation of schools ended. What if it is anti-abortionists occupying a clinic or hospital? Or the alt-right blocking a trans event? Surely you’re making a value judgement as to what protests should be accommodated or it is simply mob rule.

Society is compromise. It is deeply flawed because people are flawed. We are bigoted, racist, prejudiced, biased, dumb, self-serving and greedy and somehow we have to live together. Sometimes the majority of your fellow citizens will favor choices that are deeply amoral and harmful.

You can violate the law to express your dissatisfaction and it is possible that the state will back down - flower revolutions do happen - but without a strong popular majority backing it, it is unlikely to succeed.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Owling Howl posted:

Well what if it causes you don’t agree with? There were protesters blocking the entrances to schools when the segregation of schools ended. What if it is anti-abortionists occupying a clinic or hospital? Or the alt-right blocking a trans event? Surely you’re making a value judgement as to what protests should be accommodated or it is simply mob rule.

Society is compromise. It is deeply flawed because people are flawed. We are bigoted, racist, prejudiced, biased, dumb, self-serving and greedy and somehow we have to live together. Sometimes the majority of your fellow citizens will favor choices that are deeply amoral and harmful.

You can violate the law to express your dissatisfaction and it is possible that the state will back down - flower revolutions do happen - but without a strong popular majority backing it, it is unlikely to succeed.

Stopping or hindering genocide is a cause that should be accomplished through any means necessary. Wanting to commit genocide or apartheid is a bad cause that should be opposed by any means necessary.

Thank you for making sure we consider such an important question as "what if this was about something else, entirely?!?!?!"

good luck on that comprise I'm sure you'll work something out with the mob of hooting proud boys

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Owling Howl posted:

Well what if it causes you don’t agree with? There were protesters blocking the entrances to schools when the segregation of schools ended.

Was a single one of those people tear-gassed and beaten by riot cops? From what I know of the era, fire hoses and dogs were used on the people protesting against segregation. People who were for were treated with kid gloves, typically.

Didn't the US Marshals just escort Ruby Bridges into the school. The only violence there was attacks on black students by whites later on when the National Guard wasn't around.

Or when George Wallace blocked the door the USNG just convinced him to move by reluctantly informing him it was their "sad duty" to ask him to step aside lol.

Is there a specific incident you're referring to where brutality was necessary?

And... what do you think of Tianemen then? Was the government right to crush the demonstrators who had already spent months breaking the law

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Absent a response from the authorities, the local populations were often more than willing to enforce segregation themselves. Ending segregation didn't just require ending the authorities' active support of segregation - it also required getting the authorities to intervene against segregation supporters who would have otherwise sought to maintain it with regardless. Private businesses that intended to maintain segregation, local mobs that intended to enforce segregation on their own, and terrorist groups like the KKK...the authorities had their work cut out for them in protecting desegregation initiatives from those who sought to disrupt them by any means necessary.

To end segregation, it wasn't enough for the authorities to just stop beating and jailing anti-segregation black people - the authorities also had to start beating and jailing white people.

That's especially true when it came to school desegregation, where there were a number of particularly high-profile cases of needing to send in the authorities to prevent protesters from disrupting the schools.

For example, this is what school desegregation looked like in Little Rock, Arkansas: federal troops sent in by order of the president to protect the Little Rock Nine, escorting them to and from school while preventing pro-segregation protesters from obstructing the students or disrupting the school.

Of course, Arkansas had first sent the National Guard to obstruct the students' attendance. But when the National Guard was withdrawn, the hundreds of angry protesters at the school were beyond the ability of the local police to control (to their credit, the police did appear to have actually tried), and that was what led to federal troops being sent in. Let's look back through historical coverage at what reporters from the North saw that day:

quote:

It was exactly like an explosion, a human explosion.

At 8:35 a.m., the people standing in front of Central High School looked like the ones you see everyday in a shopping center.

A pretty, sweet-faced woman with auburn hair and a jewel-green jacket ... another holding a white portable radio to her ear. “I’m getting the news of what’s going on at the high school,” she said. ... People laughed. ... A gray-haired man, tall and spare, leaned over the wooden barricade. “If they’re coming,” he said, quietly, “they’ll be here soon.” ... “They better,” said another. “I got to get to work.”

Ordinary people — mostly curious, you would have said — watching a high school on a bright, blue-and-gold morning.

Five minutes later, at 8:40, they were a mob.

Chain Reaction

The terrifying spectacle of 200-odd individuals, suddenly welded together into a single body, took place in the fraction of a second. It was an explosion, savagery chain-reacting from person to person, fusing them into a white-hot mass.

There are three glass-windowed phone booths across the street from the south end of the high school. At 8:35, I was inside one of them, dictating.

I saw four Negroes coming down the center of the street, in twos. One was tall and big-shouldered. One was tall and thin. The other two were short. The big man had a card in his hat and was carrying a camera.

Growl Rises

A strange, animal growl rose from the crowd.

“Here come the n-----s.”

Instantly, people turned their backs on the high school and ran toward the four men. They hesitated. Then they ran.

I saw the white men catch them on the sidewalk and the lawn of a home, a quarter-block away. There was a furious struggling knot. You see a man kicking at the big Negro. Then another jumped on his back and rode him to the ground, forearms deep in the Negro’s throat.

They kicked him and beat him on the ground and they smashed his camera. The other three ran down the street with one white man chasing them. When the white man saw he was alone, he turned back to the crowd.

Rescued By Policeman

Meanwhile, five policemen had rescued the big man.

I had just finished saying, “Police escorted the big man away,”

At that instant, a man shouted, “Look, the n-----s are going in.”

Directly across from me, three Negro boys and six girls were walking toward the side door at the south end of the school.

It was an unforgettable tableau. They were carrying books. White bobby-sox, part of the high school uniform, glinted on the girls’ ankles. All were nicely dressed, the boys wore open-throat shirts and the girls ordinary frocks.

They weren’t hurrying. They strolled across perhaps 15 yards from the sidewalk to the school steps. They glanced at the people and the police as though none of this concerned them.

Unforgettable Scene

You can never forget a scene like that. Nor the one that followed.

Like a wave, the people who had run toward the four Negro men, now swept back toward the police and the barricades.

“Oh, God, the n-----s are in the school,” a man yelled.

A woman — the one with the auburn hair and green jacket — rushed up to him. Her face was working with fury now. Her lips drew back in a snarl and she was screaming, “Did they go in?”

“The n-----s are in the school,” the man said.

“Oh, God,” she said.

She covered her face with her hands. Then she tore her hair, still screaming.

She looked exactly like the women who cluster around a mine head when there has been an explosion and men are trapped below.

A tall, lean man, jumped up on one of the barricades. He was holding on the shoulders of others nearby.

“Who’s going through?” he roared.

“We all are,” the people shrieked.

They surged over and around the barricades, breaking for the police.

About a dozen policemen, in short-sleeved blue shirts, swinging billy clubs, were in front of them.

Men and women raced toward them and the policemen raised their clubs, moving to head off people who tried to dodge around them.

A man went down when a policeman clubbed him.

Another, with crisp, curly black hair, dodged between two policemen and got as far as the school yard. There, two others caught him.

Pinned in Coat

With swift, professional skill, they pulled his coat halfway down his back, pinning his arms. In a flash, they were hustling him back toward the barricades.

A burly, thick-bodied man wearing a construction worker’s hard hat, charged a policeman. Suddenly, he stopped and held both hands high above his head.

I couldn’t see it, but I assume the policeman jammed a pistol in his ribs.

Meanwhile, the women — the auburn-haired one, the woman with the radio, and others — were swirling around the police commanding officers. Tears were streaming down their faces. They acted distraught. It was pure hysteria.

Keep Crying

They kept crying: “The n-----s are in our school. Oh, God, are you going to stand here and let the n------ stay in school?”

Then, swiftly, a line of cars filled with state troopers rolled toward the school from two directions. The flasher-signals on the tops of the cars were spurting red warnings.

The troopers, big, thin-waisted men in broad-brimmed hats, moved inside the barricades with the policemen.

In an instant, they had the crowd — not wholly under control — but well away from the school.

Howling Futile

The roaring and howling went on, but it was futile now. Nobody tried again to charge the lines.

In a first-floor window, a high school boy kept a small camera pointed toward the street. The upper-floor windows were packed with other students, watching.

Then the people — still wearing the savage, snarling mob’s mask — turned on reporters and photographers. It was a gesture of frustration. They had to have an outlet for the wild rage and hysteria that had galvanized them.

A boy leapt high in the air, caught a phone wire leading from one of the booths to the main line, and swung up and down, trying to break it. The booth, with a reporter inside, teetered twice and came close to falling over.

Photographer Slugged

Francis Miller, a Life magazine photographer, was coming out of the crowd. His arms were filled with camera equipment. He never had a chance to defend himself.

A man rushed toward him, and smashed his fist full in Miller’s face. He went down, blood pouring out of his mouth.

In the next few minutes, the mob beat up four others. They had said earlier, “We ought to wipe up the street with these Yankee reporters.”

Now, with no one else to attack, they started.

I passed through the milling, swirling crowd, trying not to walk too fast, nor to slow. Nothing happened.

When I looked back, from a block away, it was relatively quiet again.

It was an explosion.

Even if the authorities hadn't been there, there were still plenty of people willing to act on their own to remove black people from whites-only spaces...and they might very well have succeeded if the authorities weren't out there beating pro-segregation protesters who tried to invade the schools.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Violently attacking people isn't nonviolent protest, by definition.

Still haven't heard a good justification for beating non-violent protestors, even ones I may happen to disagree with.

E: the problem for reactionaries is that their goals typically can't be achieved by non-violent means. They aren't protesting for their own rights or against unjust laws that can be broken passively. They want to enforce their will over others, which can really only only be done using violence. That's why a principled commitment to the rights of speech and assembly and protest is not a problem for me, even when people I don't like do it. It's only a problem for authoritarians who want to oppress others.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 01:39 on May 5, 2024

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Was a single one of those people tear-gassed and beaten by riot cops? From what I know of the era, fire hoses and dogs were used on the people protesting against segregation. People who were for were treated with kid gloves, typically.

Didn't the US Marshals just escort Ruby Bridges into the school. The only violence there was attacks on black students by whites later on when the National Guard wasn't around.

Or when George Wallace blocked the door the USNG just convinced him to move by reluctantly informing him it was their "sad duty" to ask him to step aside lol.

Is there a specific incident you're referring to where brutality was necessary?

And... what do you think of Tianemen then? Was the government right to crush the demonstrators who had already spent months breaking the law

Oh yeah, absolutely. In the anti-integration Ole Miss riot of 1962, federal marshals sent to integrate the University of Mississippi, used up all the tear gas they had trying to drive off the protesters. And when that still wasn't enough, federal troops were sent in - first to rescue the besieged marshals, and then to bring the riots under control by force, with helicopters coordinating the troops as they charged groups of rioters organizing in the alleys, and hundreds of people arrested in the aftermath.

Let's pull another piece of contemporary reporting from the archives:

quote:

Ole Miss enrolls Meredith after riots kill 2, injure 75

OXFORD, Miss., Oct. 1, 1962 (UPI) -- Negro James Meredith registered today at the University of Mississippi and began attending classes on a campus littered with the debris of a major riot that took two lives and injured at least 75 persons.

"It is not a happy occasion," he said.

About 400 U. S. deputy marshals and 1,000 federal troops guarded the campus as the 29-year-old Negro cracked the segregation barriers of the 114-year-old school.

The campus was brought under military control early today but the rioting spread to downtown Oxford and at least one soldier was hurt in a barrage of rocks, timbers and pop bottles before the crowd was dispersed with tear gas and reinforcements were brought in. Shots were fired over the heads of rioters.

Meredith, whose determination to desegregate "Ole Miss" brought about a conflict that threatened to rock the Union, walked solemnly to an American Colonial History class to shouts of "N----, N-----" and "Was it worth two deaths?"

He was accompanied to the classes by three deputy marshals and U. S. Department of Justice representative Ed Guthman.

The Negro was met at the registrar's office by University Registrar Robert B. Ellis, who handed him a stack of forms. The historic occasion was concluded quietly.

Meredith, who caught a whiff of the tear gas that clouded the campus early today, rubbed his eyes occasionally.

In the downtown area, troops under command of Brig. Gen. Charles Billingslea dispersed bands of marauding demonstrators. Rioters hurled fire bombs at Army vehicles and chased cars containing Negroes.

Some of the demonstrators were routed with tear gas and fixed bayonets. Several of the infantrymen were Negroes, who gritted their teeth as crowds taunted them and told them to go to Cuba or back to New Jersey. One Negro soldier was hit on the neck with a bottle.

Before troops were ordered to fire tear gas, some one hurled a huge rock through the window of an Army truck and a man on a balcony dropped a log on another truck.

Truckload after truckload of troops poured into Courthouse Square where soldiers had pinned down some of the rioters. Ten helicopters circled overhead spotting crowds which were reforming in alleys for another attack on the troops.

Choking clouds of tear gas seeped into stores and women staggered from them.

Officials announced the arrest of 108 persons. It also was hinted that ex-Maj. Gen. Edwin A. Walker would be arrested. Bayonet-wielding soldiers today forced him away from downtown Oxford.

Among those arrested was Melvin Bruce, 24, of Decatur, Ga., a supporter of the American Nazi Party. He was charged with being a sniper who had been firing on marshals and soldiers during the eight hours of rioting.

The campus itself looked like a battleground. It was littered with burned-out automobiles, tear gas canisters and broken glass and echoed to the cadence of marching troops, including the Mississippi National Guard which President Kennedy summoned yesterday.

Army troops began moving onto the campus at midnight, three hours after the riot began, but it was not until 6 a.m. that the last stubborn segregationists were routed.

More violence was unleashed in less than four hours than in the six-month period when U. S. paratroopers forced integration of Central High School in Little Rock five years ago.

Before dawn a military force of 2,600 was on or near the Oxford campus. Troops were converging from all directions on the Northern Mississippi town which had been the home of the late Nobel-prize winner author, William Faulkner.

Twelve marshals were either wounded or injured, three of them seriously, and five soldiers were hurt.

Most of the wounds were caused by bricks and blows with lengths of pipe. But there were some gunshot wounds.

Many of the rioters apparently were students from Mississippi State College at Starkville. A massive demonstration was conducted there yesterday afternoon including marches through the Negro section of Starkville and the burning of an effigy of President Kennedy.

The dead were Paul Guihard, New York-based correspondent of the French news agency France Presse, and Ray Gunter, 23, of Oxford.

Guihard, 30, was shot in the back less than 10 minutes after he was admitted to the campus. He was found dead near a woman's dormitory. Gunter was dead on arrival at the Oxford hospital.

Some of the injured were reported in grave condition.

The rioting began as President Kennedy, in a televised address, was appealing to Mississippians to comply with the federal law even though they did not agree with it.

Meredith, 29, a Negro veteran of the Korean War who thrice had been denied entry to the campus by Gov. Ross Barnett and Lt. Gov. Paul B. Johnson was escorted secretly into the university by a motorcade of U. S. marshals and bedded down for the night at a dormitory which was put under heavy guard.

The hours-long battle that caused the death of Guihard and Gunter was the first open armed conflict between the United States Government and southerners since the end of the Civil War almost 100 years ago.

Shortly before 10 p.m. the word flashed around the campus that Meredith was there. And, even as Kennedy spoke, the riot began. A group of students threw lighted cigarets on the canvas top to a truck carrying U. S. marshals.

The canvas caught fire and the marshals, in steel helmets painted white and wearing orange vests with tear gas grenades, jumped out.

The marshals loosed barrages of tear gas. The Mississippi State Highway Patrol, surrounding but not entering the campus, made no move. It had been ordered by Barnett not to hinder the marshals but neither - apparently -- did it have orders to help.

The riot grew even worse after Guihard and Gunter were killed.

One youth fired a fire extinguisher into the face of one of the drivers of the trucks used to bring in the marshals. A state highway patrolman was struck in the face by a tear gas cartridge. A U. S. marshal was shot in the neck.

The Fifth U. S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans last week found Barnett in contempt for failing to abide by a federal order to admit Meredith.

The governor was ordered to admit the Negro by Tuesday at 1 p.m., or be subjected to a daily fine of $10,000. Johnson, cited under a similar order, was given the same deadline and faced a daily fine of $5,000.

It might not be remembered quite as starkly as Bull Connor's brutality these days, but anti-segregation authorities were in fact willing to use tear gas, physical violence, and arrests in order to keep pro-segregation protesters from disrupting school integration.

As for George Wallace, that was a bit of a special case, because he was just there to put on a political show and everyone knew it (especially the Kennedy administration, who he'd privately informed in advance). Wallace had in fact taken measures beforehand to ensure that there wouldn't be any major protests there to distract the reporters away from his grand defiant speeches. In return, the administration played along and let him have his show, a show that resulted in him stepping aside voluntarily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

"Before troops were ordered to fire tear gas, some one hurled a huge rock through the window of an Army truck and a man on a balcony dropped a log on another truck."

"Rioters hurled fire bombs at Army vehicles and chased cars containing Negroes."

Again that wasn't non-violent protest. It's not an example of cops gassing and beating non-violent segregationists who were simply trespassing or blocking roads or any of the other excuses being offered to justify beating students this week.

I don't see what any of that has to do with this situation. If the students were firebombing zionists and dropping logs on cops without provocation that would have been a completely different situation now wouldn't it.