Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Mandoric posted:

Absolutely in general, and then come here and type about and use the thought of having to explain what I'm doing to plan my next step.

Though in the particular, it's nested too drat tight to fit at all, I only left two tiles so the middle low turbine of each triad literally can't path out. Going to have to do some cutting and pasting, which means waiting for another row of the valley I'm carving into to be mined out--on the plus side, it did come to mind that the reflow will be easier if I plan the cooling towers first and then work back from them before reconnecting the desalinators.

For anyone who's gotten nuclear up and running, am I correct in the assumption that at least power can disappear into the aether, and I'm safe to run at full power before I actually have 90MW of demand as long as that 288/m of steam is turning back into at least 288/m of water and feeding back in or being dumped/vented?

I am slowly coming around to Nilaus' utterly decadent building style of vast amounts of empty space between everything connected by long belts.

Alkydere posted:

Tier 2 and 3 nuclear reactors can auto-regulate, but you need to have them running at a minimum power level so you'll want steam turbines to eat up that minimum level. Good for if you're using the rest of the steam for industrial processes though.

Or you can take a small hit and use electric boilers where needed.

You can also make a bleed off for the excess steam via desalinates or cooling towers, and instead of paying an electric boiler tax (looks to be about 3MW; 12 Supersteam/8MW Boiler vs 5MW/12 Supersteam in a power plant, assuming a full turbine setup from super to depleted) just get the steam directly to your industry while also building the excess handler for when you inevitably saturate the steam network with spicy water vapor.

You can also use supersteam turbines to step down your super steam if for some reason you want to use an FBR to fuel your refinery or any other tasks that require high steam. In my Update 1 save, I did exactly this to use one of my 3 FBRs to provide the steam main for my entire island. Nobody uses 384 units of steam for anything other than power generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Last night I finally set up trash incineration for my island and while I appreciated the free landfill early on, it's amazing how it feels when one building (and a few supporting buildings like water pumps and tanks) converts a 14 health malus from garbage dumping into a 1-2 health malus from air pollution.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Alkydere posted:

Last night I finally set up trash incineration for my island and while I appreciated the free landfill early on, it's amazing how it feels when one building (and a few supporting buildings like water pumps and tanks) converts a 14 health malus from garbage dumping into a 1-2 health malus from air pollution.

I'm down to only having vehicle pollution (about 3?) and air pollution (high, probably around 12~13 normally).

Even with multiple scrubbers going, I still have a bunch of places without any scrubbing, and I'm venting CO2 everywhere as well as a couple of flare stacks. No single huge item, but it all adds up.

I had a huge failure today. I designed a much nicer 30mw power plant (twinned 15mw with large turbines sharing a single large cooling tower) and it was running fine for hours while I messed with other stuff, so I finally brought a 2nd one online so that I could decommission the old spaghetti mess of a 24mw plant. Everything looked good, turbines and flywheels moving, cooling tower making steam, scrubber plant making CO2... all good.. So I deleted the spaghetti powerplant. Like 90 seconds later the entire power grid crashed and burned. lol...

I reverted to an autosave just a couple minutes prior to deleting the old power plant, and this time I just paused it so I could carefully observe what was going on with the new plants...

Seems like it was a combination of small things that compounded into the failure because of shared resources. I noticed that the turbines would sometimes pause briefly and sometimes on every cycle for a while. For some reason they were sporadically short on steam, even though they each had a dedicated boiler. I had a super short run of T1 pipe from each boiler to the turbines, which was shared between both turbines, so I separated all my piping and upgraded to T2 in places. This helped but...

Now it was the boilers that would sporadically pause and it was because the exhaust wasn't getting scavenged fast enough (60 exhaust, 60 capacity pipe). I thought maybe it was a pipe-size problem so I upgraded everything to T2 pipes and it worked fine for a while and then started pausing again.

Turns out I did the math for the main pipe carrying all the exhaust to the scrubber was based on 48 per boiler, plus another 12 from the boiler that ran the water-maker (because it only needs to generate 12 steam, not 48, so 25% duty cycle). 48+48+12 = 108... but I had 2 plants, so uh... that's 216 exhaust in a single 200 capacity pipe. Except no, boilers make 60 exhaust when working on coal, so I actually had 135 x 2 exhaust going to a single T2 pipe. Lol, oops.

Instead of just having diminished power, this was causing the high pressure turbines to never get up to speed once they were at full load from deleting the old power plant, so once one shaft stopped generating power, it just failure cascaded. I added some balancers and a new exhaust scrubber and now power is nice and stable on the two new plants with the old plant completely paused.

Lesson learned today - don't delete stuff, just pause it and let things run for a while to make sure there are no unexpected consequences of my own stupidity and bad math.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Making the top tier nuc plant is a genuine challenge. It’s fun

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does it work to put light and heavy oil to same pipe and burn them in the same gas burner? Or do I need separate types of burners and pipes for different oils?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ihmemies posted:

Does it work to put light and heavy oil to same pipe and burn them in the same gas burner? Or do I need separate types of burners and pipes for different oils?

It can work, with care. A given pipe can only contain one fluid at a time, so you'll want to pipe the light and heavy oil separately and connect them near the burner. And the burner will need to prioritise one of the two recipes just by the way production machines work in this game, so if there's enough of the type you're prioritising to fully supply the burner then the other one will just stay backed up forever.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

It's honestly easier, and safer, just to use two burners.

Or better yet: two gas boilers if you have them unlocked. Put that excess to use as you burn it off. Likewise: cargo ships can take heavy oil as fuel. Produces a massive pile of pollution but, as said, it's putting something you'd be burning off to use if you don't have the more advanced oil techs.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

It can work, with care. A given pipe can only contain one fluid at a time, so you'll want to pipe the light and heavy oil separately and connect them near the burner. And the burner will need to prioritise one of the two recipes just by the way production machines work in this game, so if there's enough of the type you're prioritising to fully supply the burner then the other one will just stay backed up forever.

If you connect them right at the intake port of the boiler or flare, they can mix in the same junction, since junctions don't follow the same one fluid per pipe rule. I've used this to combine Fertilizer 1 and Organic Fertilizer at my farms, for instance. You can run into buffer problems with this depending on the recipe, so it's still buy-beware.

I also had a filter based on the same concept in an old refinery I built so that I could switch heavy oil cracking units between recipes without needing to repipe things. I don't remember what I did with it though.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Tenebrais posted:

Yea I’ve got a backup boiler for my diesel complex that runs off of light and heavy oil, and the pipes connect to each other a single tile away from the boiler. It’s worked well so far, but I’m at the cusp of going to tier 3 where there’s probably an actual use for those oils. The pipes are at least in a place where I can send them off to an empty field instead of the boiler, should I need to set up another refinery sooner or later.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Alkydere posted:

It's honestly easier, and safer, just to use two burners.

Or better yet: two gas boilers if you have them unlocked. Put that excess to use as you burn it off. Likewise: cargo ships can take heavy oil as fuel. Produces a massive pile of pollution but, as said, it's putting something you'd be burning off to use if you don't have the more advanced oil techs.

Problem is that the gas burner produces twice the amount of steam compared to a coal version. I'd want to produce some extra electricity instead of flaring the excess. Two gas burners which barely run at all do not sound very efficient.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Combining lines in a scenario where you'd have 2 burners which barely run at all just gives you 1 burner that is also barely running at all, usually less due to mixing inefficiencies in that mixer block.

Meanwhile you need to get rid of byproducts and a steam boiler is strictly better than a flare even if you end up venting steam (which you wouldn't want to in most cases anyway, things making fuel for gas boilers can scavenge steam and better to recycle than get completely new energy in the loop via coal).

Constructions materials are cheap, treat yourself to specialized burners. What you do with the steam afterwards is completely agnostic.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I tried this, and it seems to work reasonably well. The fuels mix in the junction just before the boiler.

I still need to somehow increase my fuel usage. Perhaps I should burn excess diesel to electricity..

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You could trade away diesel, too. That lets you stop the drain if you need more.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yes the boilers have the magic capacity to separate the fluids

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

The only Diesel contract is to trade it for fully-smelted Gold, and even if you’re planning to use mainly imported Gold you still need a gold furnace set up to consume your Gold Scraps so your recycling doesn’t back up.

For a six-slot ship, you’re trading 5 full holds of Diesel for a partial of Gold.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

For now it seems to be enough to burn excess diesel off in diesel generators. I am fiddling with this because steel and iron production use so much coal I don't want to burn it for energy.

Anyways, found out you can do uncapped FPS in game, but have adaptive (half refresh rate) vsync in nvidia control panel. That way game renders at 60fps on my 120hz screen, doesn't have tearing. 120hz is excess to render at 4K for a game like this.#

E:

Can vehicle barriers be drawn in a line?

Is there some way to not deselect current build item after placing one?

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 3, 2024

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Ihmemies posted:

Can vehicle barriers be drawn in a line?

Is there some way to not deselect current build item after placing one?

Hold down shift and you can continue to place the item you have selected.

For vehicle barriers/retaining walls, place a few in a row, copy the entire row and then hold down shift and place that as many times as you want.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

The only Diesel contract is to trade it for fully-smelted Gold, and even if you’re planning to use mainly imported Gold you still need a gold furnace set up to consume your Gold Scraps so your recycling doesn’t back up.

For a six-slot ship, you’re trading 5 full holds of Diesel for a partial of Gold.

Gold is also used in exactly one non-vanity production--microchips, and only a handful per production cycle. You don't NEED much Gold, so while expensive, you're probably not using enough for the trade to be worth it. The bigger problem honestly is that the ship will continue to suck diesel into the hold and do runs back and forth until the local gold storage is full, potentially consuming the totality of your diesel production in the quest to stockpile several centuries worth of gold bars.

edit: Interestingly, the Diesel-to-Gold-to-Oil contract chain can turn a profit in Gold depending on how much of your refining you dedicate to the trade loop. At least on paper. I might try it for fun.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 3, 2024

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I am actually doing the trade as I described it on my Gold Peak embark, partially to keep my oil refinery cycling now that all but two ships are burning hydrogen, partially because I decided to start using Gold Ore as fill.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

LonsomeSon posted:

I am actually doing the trade as I described it on my Gold Peak embark, partially to keep my oil refinery cycling now that all but two ships are burning hydrogen, partially because I decided to start using Gold Ore as fill.

That's honestly one of the funny things about gold; you're given so much of it in ore relative to what you need that the only reason to trade for it in a 'normal' game is either you're doing a sustainability challenge or you've gone beyond the bounds of normal and are at some absurd level of production or timeframe that is well outside the scope of the existing progression.

Or I guess it might be in an awkward spot and you don't want to send trucks there. I started trading vpart 2 for quartz in my game because the sand deposits in Armageddon are abysmal and the Quartz deposit is so far away that you're either stuck with a long, awkward belt or constantly being low on sand because your trucks can't move it fast enough from the mine.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah but you can quick trade it for coal or bread. Heck with 200 diesel for 60 bread you may be able to bypass bread production altogether.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Yeah but you can quick trade it for coal or bread. Heck with 200 diesel for 60 bread you may be able to bypass bread production altogether.

Skipping one of the simplest production chains in the game for one of the most complicated seems like a bad trade.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
/shrug. They said their problem was too much diesel at the moment.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Bread is great, you need so little of it that your one un-upgraded farm growing Wheat can also provide most of your first wave of Animal Feed if you bank that poo poo (you’re going to need other crops on overflow to run 1-2 factory farms, but I highly recommend a buffer to start chickens with).

Tofu is aggravating because your Soybeans, Sulfur, and Limestone are basically never going to be in the same place without a lot of advanced planning. Also it’s going to be your most reliable protein source for the whole game and Soybeans are the best Animal Feed stock, so all your other proteins depend greatly on how that chain is operating.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Well.. my power crashed again. Lol. Turns out it wasn't only the constricted exhaust pipe. The trickle of steam needed by the exhaust scrubbers was being supplied by the backup coal burning boiler at the old original power plant. Took a while to manifest because there was a rather long pipe to drain steam out of before it failed. Also, that same steam source was feeding the electrolyzer that provided water to the scrubbers.

I now have a dedicated boiler feeding steam to the scrubbers and a couple of other small draws like the electrolyzer.

Spaghetti factory best factory!

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Does overproduction of steam go to waste? If I add a boiler next to paper mill, and process requires 1,5 steam, while boiler produces 48. Does the 46,5 steam go to waste each minute?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Nope. Steam will just sit in a pipe and back up like any other fluid. Thermodynamics is only applied when steam is being used.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Cool. It’s easier to have an onsite boiler than to bus it from god knows where.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Trains?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

You get ships instead and you’ll like it

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Intra-island cargo ship routes would be pretty cool too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

They mentioned in the last update that they are working on trains for the future, as well as proper roads, which will presumably use similar systems.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I’m going to need a computer which isn’t 10 years old, to play an island large enough to need a good common train network.

Its a Rolex
Jan 23, 2023

Hey, posting is posting. You emptyquote, I turn my monitor on; what's the difference?
Played back up to where I got to before restarting last time, just got concrete blocks building. I did successfully avoid a death spiral where I queued a bunch of building up to try and get storage feeding coal + ore into everything, but ran of out of construction parts because I ran out of iron because I couldn't feed coal because the stuff I was building got in the way.

I did get a main bus (I guess?) set up for all the stuff I need right now, and built it out slowly enough that construction parts were never really a problem. I better appreciate now that planning a large number of buildings and then slowly enabling their builds is much easier on the factory than doing it all en masse

Also learned that food types (potatoes + vegetables for now) all need a unique food distribution building for the city, which dramatically increased my food reserve counter.

Coal is a real fucker right now, gotta figure that out

I'm starting to really get into CoI. Previously I felt like the colony sim aspect of it was kinda off-putting, but I'm coming around. I still don't feel like I quite grasp the mining mechanics, especially retaining walls, which feel like they're gonna be important for excavating all the coal

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Retaining walls are more, in my experience, for making the most of tight space by strictly terracing switchbacks and the like. For big pit mines, it's easier to just let it all fall and not build that close to their edges.
Also remember that different materials have different spread rates, dirt and especially sand are fuckers but rock isn't that bad at all. I've got something I'm calling the transcontinental fail road going now, basically a 3-mining-tile-wide cross straight through the middle of the big mountain on Gold Coast, being worked by most of my excavator fleet for a century and about 1/3 of the way to breakthrough, with the idea of leveling the whole resourceless middle to 14 and having space for a megafactory adjacent to iron/copper/coal/quartz, and in the axis coming in from the narrow pass it's:

- a 6-tile run to account for the rise from heights 34-40, which are dirt: 45° slope
- only a 14-tile run to account for the rise from heights 14-34, which are rock and coal mix: 55° slope

Across the island, in the sand pits, I have an utterly terrible 10-tile run for the rise from -02 to +03--26.5°. That same -02 to +03 rise in the iron mines is only a 3 or 4 run, so somewhere in the 50s again.

So the greatest effect, if you did want to use them, would be doing them from the top down and dealing with the tendency of dirt or especially sand to slide.

And remember, you have to be very proactive, you can't dig or fill up to the wall, only place it in such a way that everything outside collapses away when dug even further below.

But maybe (tl note: probably) I'm just using them completely wrong.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 05:59 on May 5, 2024

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Help me goons.. My ship won't upgrade and I don't know why, it's eternally stuck here:

I've tried stopping it and restarting and it progresses back up to 46 and then stops waiting for steel delivery. I've like quadruple checked that the steel is accessible to even the big trucks or excavators, and as you can see, I have the steel, the bad truck fleet that is stable just doesn't want to bring it to my boat!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Try assigning a truck directly to a steel storage, maybe? I’ve had that same issue but kind of forgot how I got around it.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Check your steel storage and make sure its not set to “keep full.” I screw that up occasionally by copy/pasting storage containers and forgetting to change the settings.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Enigma posted:

Check your steel storage and make sure its not set to “keep full.” I screw that up occasionally by copy/pasting storage containers and forgetting to change the settings.

Oof yea, this one gets me a fair bit too. By the same reason :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Enigma posted:

Might have been that. I fixed it by deleting my 2 x T2 storage buildings and putting down a T3 storage building. I could have sworn I checked all the truck settings but maybe I missed something since it was late.