Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Artelier posted:

Is there a spending guide to this game? I'm not really familiar with gachas and I am collecting a huge amount of different resources and it's a bit overwhelming.

So far I'm just leveling up characters when I can, and recruiting more heroes when I get 10 of a type of letter (not sure if this matters vs buying individually). Besides that I dunno what to do with like Diamonds or whatever. Should I save it for something? Just spend it every time I get to do ____ thing?

I plan to be mostly F2P if that makes a difference. Maybe I'll bite the bullet on like a super large sale or something here and there, but I don't plan on ever using the regular bundles because even those are a bit pricey in my currency.

Spending money on an afk arena type game is like throwing money into the trash and lighting it on fire. You either spend and keep spending or you spend money and you're outpaced by people who do keep spending. You will never keep up with the whales, and with these games requiring 69420 dupes (requires, not just "nice to have") to make a unit usable spending money for 1 copy is useless. Either enjoy it entirely F2P or add a line item to your budget to buy every single monthly pass, every month. There really is no in between because the moment you stop spending money all the money you've spent up to that point is useless and wasted because of power creep.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 13, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

New hero preview. Ready to sacrifice some children?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyR6P3eKuz4

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

That's an odd character. This game is so weird sometimes.

I just got my first Carolina from S level soulstones and I'm disappointed you don't get the new character recruited screen from that. They just show up in your roster. I did an honor duel with the bonus centering around her giving her extra snowballs and stuff and that was a fun run.

Spending on gachas is dumb, especially this one, but here's a tip and a warning in case you do want to spend. If you buy the $4.99 Classic Gazette sub you get 3k diamonds and then 300 a day for 30 days. As is typical for these games, you can buy it multiple times and it stacks up duration on the daily login diamonds. But you also get the 3k diamonds each time. The warning is once you have done it 10 times you then no longer get the 3k diamonds and instead get a coupon worth $4.99 in your inventory. The ad for the gazette still shows the 3k though and I don't see any disclaimer or fine print.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

bagrada posted:

Spending on gachas is dumb,

This is true, but at the end of the day I see spending money on gacha games the same as spending money on like a wow subscription. It's okay if that's your source of entertainment and the money spent doesn't cost more than a monthly subscription. But spending money on an afk arena style game is dumb, full stop. There is really absolutely no reason to do so. All it gets you is you progress slightly faster during the time you have the monthly subscription active, but then once you stop it you fall behind again because these afk arena game models will continuously put in more and more power creep to the point where someone coming into the game x months later and spending the same amount of money that you spent, will be way ahead of you in terms of power and progression. That's just how it is.

All gacha games were made to extract money from people without self control, but these afk arena clones cater exclusively towards the whales who will literally buy every single pack and subscription from the day they start playing until the day they quit. Unless you're going to do that too, there really is fuckall reason to spend. Again, having 1 copy of the shiny new character doesn't do poo poo for you because the game is designed where you actually need like 42 copies just to have them in a usable state.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

If you can't be right, be confusing.
Some Honor Duel tips, using my recent run (at rank 9 on my server). Coins = g. Round = rd

I always pick the random artifact to experiment (also +10g). This run I got an overpowered one (larkspur = energy every 5 seconds). The strongest board with infinite energy is Wilder.

1st Shop:
  • Bought the 3x random Wilders. I also would have bought 3x Graveborn if Wilders weren't available (since this artifact starts you with Cecia and that other guy). Probably not Lightbearer (good but no starters). Skip Mauler unless it's the unkillable Mauler artifact or another tanky/melee focused one.
  • Bought two of the 3x random heroes for 18g. These are terrible later but great rounds 1-2 because if you use a single hero from the 3x, you've made a profit (+15g from using single hero + 4g from selling the bums vs. cost of 18g). They also give you stronger boards rounds 1-2 because you're more likely to hit a critical healer/tank/support.

1st Fight:
  • Always check the opponent's artifact. It informs you what team composition they will run, and how they will position everyone. My first opponent had the backline buffer artifact. I am expecting a strong carry in the back that I need to kill or negate.
  • I place my non-carry units first to make it harder to snipe with assassins. i.e. Granny up top, Damian and Bryon somewhere below.
  • 2nd placements: Vala mirroring (expected) enemy damage unit, Lyca next to Vala (Lyca buffs attack speed)
  • My Vala snipes the enemy Cecia, then Lyca and Bryon clean up. Bryon does great damage in early rounds (and drains energy), but can't reach the backline.

2nd shop:
You will be poor for the 2nd shop (only 40g or so).
  • Lucky Lucius = Legendary Lucius
  • Lock the 3x random Wilders for next shop.
  • Bought Light Armor, an extremely powerful tank equipment. Buys them time to get their Ult skill rolling. Lucius is also squishier than the other tanks (Antandra, Thoran, etc)
  • Playing an opponent with the meteor artifact, they generally want to stall for time until it drops.
  • I place units I didn't use in Round 1, because they give an enormous coin bonus (+7 coins or something). You can see which ones by the coin in the bottom-right corner of their portrait.
  • I place Cecia somewhere safe-ish and Vala somewhere behind her (who will teleport away after ulting, which juggles aggro from melee units).
  • His dumb cat (Seth) ends up flanking my ranged damage but then jumps away for some reason. Seth is catshit, don't play Seth.

3rd shop:
  • I have a massive amount of coins from the bench bonus units (+7*3 = 28 extra gold)
  • Re-rolled 3 times for random Graveborns because of my artifact upgrade (200 energy for graveborns after casting ultimate)
  • For tempo reasons, I upgrade Lyca even though I don't want her in my final board. She's still a good buffer for your ranged carry dps even at legendary with her +atkspd passive

3rd shop part 2:
  • I was considering the leaf equipment (9% hp/3seconds) because it's good for stalling on Igor. I ultimately decide not to bother, since I am going to play an eco-round with my bench bonus Wilders, and the leaf simply isn't that strong.
  • Opponent has the same overpowered artifact (+energy/5secs). I wasn't expecting to win this round but draw it somehow. Legendary Lucius stalls forever. Granny also takes serious punishment before dying.

4th and 5th shop (abbreviated):
  • I win the next round after the draw using my bench bonus wilders.
  • After the eco-win, I'm rolling in cash and manage to upgrade Cecia + get an epic equipment for Igor.
  • Bone amulet owns on Igor, he's an unkillable true damage dot machine. This is the first time I've ever used it on him, goon bless this mode.
  • For reference: next fight, Cecia does ~100k dmg and cc's backline, Igor does ~250k dmg and murders everything.

I haven't finished the run yet, but I hope it helps a bit. You have to plan a bit and be flexible to get a good start. 9-win runs are usually based on luck (like me hitting that early Lucius who lets me play greedy for coins).

van fem fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 13, 2024

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

I don't get whats going on with Honor Duel so I appreciate this!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I downloaded this game just to check out cause I do like idle games in moderation.

One of the first things I saw was people spamming BIG rear end EMOJIS.

Why does every online game have the same issue with people figuring out how to abuse chat with html codes lol.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Boris Galerkin posted:

I downloaded this game just to check out cause I do like idle games in moderation.

One of the first things I saw was people spamming BIG rear end EMOJIS.

Why does every online game have the same issue with people figuring out how to abuse chat with html codes lol.

Devs never learn.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

We shall pay him a visit. There will be a picnic. Tea shall be served.

Jinnigan fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Apr 15, 2024

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!
As I've progressed through the story, the lack of polish is really starting to show. Entire untranslated paragraphs, text that very often doesn't match the voice lines... and I have to say, I'm starting to get suspicious that certain characters are voiced by AI, because they have this very even delivery, not quite deadpan or monotone, but incapable of emphasizing the right words in a sentence, frequently even struggling with exclaiming or questioning tones. It could just be amateur VAs or an incompetent voice director, but Lyca and Lorsan in particular trigger an uncanny valley effect for me, in a way that some of the unimportant NPCs with sketchy voice acting don't.

The quality of the prose itself is... all over the place. A very special call-out goes to Lorsan calling the main antagonist of the second chapter a "rascal" multiple times... despite this being someone who is willing to kill Wilders and Lightbearers, destroy an ecosystem and even desecrate the symbol of the Wilders' goddess. Gosh, what a pesky troublemaker!

Just LMAO at that Skyclops Team A that wants both Reinier and Scarlita. Reinier needs Mythic+ to get access to his debuff, and I'm willing to bet that Scarlita needs Mythic+ too to be worth using.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah its dumb that Reiner is listed in every meta team with the asterisk that you need him at mythic+. I got lucky and got a copy in my first stargaze 10 pull and I'm only now closing in on a 2nd copy from Guild points. Between that and your 9(?) pulls per month from the shops it will be months before non-whales focusing on him get him fully online. Maybe events will give more of the currency, or the Devs will tweak things as I know there's a lot of feelbads from people getting the common drops from that banner considering how rare it is.

I saw the streamer Volkin say he's not even going to bother pulling for now. Instead, he's going to wait until he has enough saved to max him out instantly later this year. This lets him go for someone new instead if Reiner has been power crept, at a cost of not giving himself a chance to get lucky and get him early.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Ruby Prism posted:

As I've progressed through the story, the lack of polish is really starting to show. Entire untranslated paragraphs, text that very often doesn't match the voice lines... and I have to say, I'm starting to get suspicious that certain characters are voiced by AI, because they have this very even delivery, not quite deadpan or monotone, but incapable of emphasizing the right words in a sentence, frequently even struggling with exclaiming or questioning tones. It could just be amateur VAs or an incompetent voice director, but Lyca and Lorsan in particular trigger an uncanny valley effect for me, in a way that some of the unimportant NPCs with sketchy voice acting don't.

The quality of the prose itself is... all over the place. A very special call-out goes to Lorsan calling the main antagonist of the second chapter a "rascal" multiple times... despite this being someone who is willing to kill Wilders and Lightbearers, destroy an ecosystem and even desecrate the symbol of the Wilders' goddess. Gosh, what a pesky troublemaker!

agreed, it's very suspicious to me that they haven't put out a credits list of all the VAs
e: if they used all VAs they they could just put out a list of VAs. that's normal. but if they mixed some VAs with some AI then a partial credit list would just spill the beans. in conclusion: there's definitely AI used. imho

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

I've been playing for 4 days so I'm pretty far from having anyone at mythic+, can I even think about copying these meta lists until I have more of those? I've been playing with teams but my output is pretty different than how guides describe since I don't have all the abilities on anyone yet lol

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

I used one of the cheap teams of that sheet for today's Dream Realm and it still did better then a team of all of my highest champs, synergy and positioning still matter although if you want to really push higher bigger number will always be king.

Like all gatchas, if you want to be at the very top tier of content you've gotta open your wallet. I've settled on just sticking with my current slower pace as free to play and just play other games while I wait on the materials for progression.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

obithrawn posted:

I've been playing for 4 days so I'm pretty far from having anyone at mythic+, can I even think about copying these meta lists until I have more of those? I've been playing with teams but my output is pretty different than how guides describe since I don't have all the abilities on anyone yet lol

That Dream Realm chart has options on the sides for before you get those endgame characters. Many of the lists including Prydwen's will also mention substitutions or explain why the meta choices are good and you can find characters that do similar things and run them instead. When in doubt just run your best or favorite characters and they'll still carry you surprisingly far. Celia for instance is your guaranteed first S rank and will be good in almost every mode of the game for a long time as she does great damage and basically adds a respawning 6th character to your team. Koko is another good one to watch for or grab with your dream realm points. She puts off the damage you take letting your healer catch up, among other buffs. That kid's been key to my AFK progression regardless of who else I use (though usually its team Thundercats + Celia). While Smokey is on all the meta lists you can still do great with either of the other two, and he has his own issues like short range and being more vulnerable to being interrupted.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Honestly, the only "must have" for Dream Realm, and even then it's only one specific boss, is Thoran. You can use any tank, but they will immediately die once the frog throws a bubble at them, and then the rest of your team is toast.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

Content creators are saying the new unit (Florabelle) should be skipped if you're not a whale. Doesn't slot into most teams, requires heavy investment in the EX weapon to get good damage.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Ruby Prism posted:

Honestly, the only "must have" for Dream Realm, and even then it's only one specific boss, is Thoran. You can use any tank, but they will immediately die once the frog throws a bubble at them, and then the rest of your team is toast.
To be fair, Thoran sets a high bar among tanks even outside that one fight. Florabelle is definitely more situational. I'm trying to find the right situations.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

From what I can tell, Florabelle with equal investment to a Cecia performs a similar role while bringing more damage?

As for a character needing Mythic+ and weapon levels to shine? It honestly seems like that's just most characters unless they can bring something unique like Reinier, and I'd argue that even in his case, if you don't have him at Mythic+, you're very rarely going to feel like the swap is worth the loss of DPS.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

Ruby Prism posted:

From what I can tell, Florabelle with equal investment to a Cecia performs a similar role while bringing more damage?

My understanding from watching the streamer first impressions:
  • Florabelle isn't going to out-damage the single-target heroes (Odie or Marilee) in generic Dream Realm teams
  • does physical damage making her difficult to fit into Wilder teams (which support magic)
  • (F2P-relevant) Cecia is still preferred in the Mauler AFK progression team (Smokey + Antandra + Koko + flex Brutus/Rowan). It wasn't clear to me whether this was due to Cecia being buyable in the shop or actual effectiveness (ie her AOE cc)

However she just came out so people are still working out optimal teams for her. Damian, Cecia, and Berial (the less powerful hypogean) all summon units that Florabelle can buff. Berial summons a clone that loses like 8% hp/second, so the lifesteal from Florabelle's buff could keep him out longer.

I think they can also bait boss abilities, so maybe they'll discover some cheese strats with the right positioning.

van fem fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 16, 2024

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Is there anything specifically I should be doing to get more purple stuff? It's gating me pretty hard right now, I've got mountains of gold and xp I can't spend.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

Deformed Church posted:

Is there anything specifically I should be doing to get more purple stuff? It's gating me pretty hard right now, I've got mountains of gold and xp I can't spend.

No, that's explicitly one of the absolute biggest cockblocks, basically equivalent to the stamina gate in other gachas.

Just push as far as you can in every mechanic (tower, afk, story, arena, etc) and for the rest it's a waiting game.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

van fem posted:

• (F2P-relevant) Cecia is still preferred in the Mauler AFK progression team (Smokey + Antandra + Koko + flex Brutus/Rowan). It wasn't clear to me whether this was due to Cecia being buyable in the shop or actual effectiveness (ie her AOE cc)

I need to make a note of that AFK progression team and try that. It's honestly not too far from what I'm currently trying to do. Currently using Smokey + Antandra + Brutus + Viperian + Cecia/Vala. Viperian really only there because I have him at Legendary and Cecia is still at Epic.

It's also what I'm more or less running in the main story so the team is basically a hybrid of the Graveborne PvE team and the Mauler AFK team. I still do not have Thoran, lol.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

I need to make a note of that AFK progression team and try that. It's honestly not too far from what I'm currently trying to do. Currently using Smokey + Antandra + Brutus + Viperian + Cecia/Vala. Viperian really only there because I have him at Legendary and Cecia is still at Epic.

It's also what I'm more or less running in the main story so the team is basically a hybrid of the Graveborne PvE team and the Mauler AFK team. I still do not have Thoran, lol.

Press the little 'i' scroll to the left of the Battle button here

Press the "Records" button on the bottom right here

watch replays! many of them are broken actually, with the patch. but you can still look at the units used and try to backsolve

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

Xelkelvos posted:

I landed on a team close to that by reading a lot of forum posters saying how good they are, and this guide helped me understand it a bit more. Thoran has felt underwhelming to me at low levels honestly, I assume you want him ascended before he shines. But that basic team you see all over the records/replays has been good for me as a person playing 5 days or something with nothing interesting on my teams yet.

Jinnigan
Feb 12, 2007

Here's my current box:

who should i get from the arena store? my cecia is 0/2 and there's 1/2 in the store. or i could get my first copy of igor, or granny.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

Jinnigan posted:

Here's my current box:

who should i get from the arena store? my cecia is 0/2 and there's 1/2 in the store. or i could get my first copy of igor, or granny.

Probably just finish Cecia. I don't think a single copy of Igor or Granny are useful.

Edit: I got my rear end kicked by a Dionel (celestial) in PVP. He dodged my Vala then AOEd my team to death. Cool design, wish he wasn't whale bait.

van fem fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Apr 17, 2024

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I got a possibly silly question, as someone who doesn't really play Gachas; I should use the diamonds to try and get more heroes right? And I should go for them ten at a time? It's hard for me to tell if this (or anything really) is a limited, finite resource

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

Artelier posted:

I got a possibly silly question, as someone who doesn't really play Gachas; I should use the diamonds to try and get more heroes right? And I should go for them ten at a time? It's hard for me to tell if this (or anything really) is a limited, finite resource

Not a dumb question. First priority is buying the discounted gacha ticket (for 210 diamonds) every day and Epic Invites + Stargazer Crystals every month from the Emporium. Then probably accelerating your afk gains (the free one + 50 diamonds). After that, you have to decide whether you want to spend an extra 100 diamonds/day for extra AFK gains or just spend the rest on rolling for heroes. Just make sure to set your wishlist (it unlocks after a few summons).

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The game gives out that many diamonds a day?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

kater posted:

The game gives out that many diamonds a day?

If you're just doing your dailies you'll get a few hundred at least which will get you the envelope and the afk as they're also both daily

obithrawn
Apr 22, 2003

any suggestions for low-ascension arena teams? Been enjoying messing around in PVP but I don't have anyone at Mythic+ yet to do the common character combinations, anything fun I should have on my radar to try?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Jinnigan posted:

Press the little 'i' scroll to the left of the Battle button here

Press the "Records" button on the bottom right here

watch replays! many of them are broken actually, with the patch. but you can still look at the units used and try to backsolve

I do not have that button . Additionally, that (i) is just a list of rewards per level on my client (PC Desktop)

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

Xelkelvos posted:

I do not have that button . Additionally, that (i) is just a list of rewards per level on my client (PC Desktop)

They mean the icon that looks like a scroll with a ! inside it, in the bottom left of the big green Battle button.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Ruby Prism posted:

They mean the icon that looks like a scroll with a ! inside it, in the bottom left of the big green Battle button.

Ah yeah, I see them. They don't help at the moment since a bunch of the depreciated hot ones are basically bots as far as I can tell since they've just dumbed everything into Valen

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

van fem posted:

Probably just finish Cecia. I don't think a single copy of Igor or Granny are useful.
My Granny keeled over too quickly to be useful for a long time. Even with dupes, she needed a faction bonus to last long enough for the sustain to kick in.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

So it seems like Florabelle's bulbsprites can eat King Croaker bubbles.

I ran a team with Thoran, Koko, Smokey, Odie and Florabelle, and after Thoran ate the two bubbles, no one else died.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'm really stuck on how to use my S-rank selector chest. I've got Rowan and Brutus, so I'm dithering between snagging my first Eironn or a Rowan dupe to ascend with.

van fem
Oct 22, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

I'm really stuck on how to use my S-rank selector chest. I've got Rowan and Brutus, so I'm dithering between snagging my first Eironn or a Rowan dupe to ascend with.

Eironn is a monster, I'd just grab him since you need to max him out. With enough investment, he starts the round by vacuuming the enemy team. He's my offtank past stage 700 where you need 2 teams every other level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Ruby Prism posted:

So it seems like Florabelle's bulbsprites can eat King Croaker bubbles.

I ran a team with Thoran, Koko, Smokey, Odie and Florabelle, and after Thoran ate the two bubbles, no one else died.

I assume this was fixed really fast because it wasn’t doing it for me. Flora seems reasonably strong on her own tho, was doing comparable to Marilee on a single copy