Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

why are there two linux threads
this is so confusing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

outhole surfer posted:

this is so confusing

I can change one to the microsoft thread again

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

outhole surfer posted:

this is so confusing

the question you should be asking is why are there ONLY two linux threads?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

isn't linux the antithesis of the rotor way?

i'm sure i saw something about it in your manifesto

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

dual threads for hyper-posting

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

outhole surfer posted:

isn't linux the antithesis of the rotor way?

i'm sure i saw something about it in your manifesto

i never said you shouldn't USE open source software, I said you shouldn't WRITE it.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

maybe this thread could either be the Linux n00b thread or the Linux gaming thread

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Linux n00b q: is openwrt the gentoo of embedded devices where u build it all yourself?

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Linux n00b q: is openwrt the gentoo of embedded devices where u build it all yourself?

it's much more like a real binary distro with an easy installer/setup process, so no

but if you really want to for various use cases (like i bake in configuration for a local coffee shop so that even a full 'factory reset' puts it back at my own settings) you can use the quite nice/powerful/easy imagebuilder (which builds images from binary packages so it's extremely fast) or just build it all yourself from source. the documentation is pretty good. but honestly using openwrt as a normal person is no different than doing a normal firmware update

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

maybe this thread could either be the Linux n00b thread or the Linux gaming thread

it’s the “I don’t like linux” thread

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

outhole surfer posted:

this is so confusing

skill issue

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

skill issue

time to make a third

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

akadajet posted:

time to make a third

who am i to stop the forks

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

cant stop the rock fork

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
instead of forks lets call them tongs

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

at what point does a fork become a rake?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I would say after 5 tines it’s a rake

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

I would say after 5 tines it’s a rake

idk about that man

https://www.organictool.com/forks-and-hay-hooks/fohf10hd-hay-fork-10-tine-heavy-duty-d-hndl

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

at what point does a fork become a rake?

when you hit it with an enlarging ray

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Beeftweeter posted:

when you hit it with an enlarging ray

no a big dinner fork is still a fork

edit: at that size they're called hayforks

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

No, I'm only compiling OpenWrt because I want to fix some bugs related to my particular router model, which is a weirdo niche device (designed for hotel room wifi). Not many people have scrutinized this platform for bugs, so there are still a few obvious ones that need fixing.

Basically what I'm doing is fiddling with jumpers and IRQs, and finding the right driver settings to make all the peripherals work. In 2024, instead of dip switches, that means editing device tree files (like CSS for hardware). If you remember messing with modem cards and hard drive jumpers in the pre-Win 95 days, you know exactly what it's all about.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ryanrs posted:

No, I'm only compiling OpenWrt because I want to fix some bugs related to my particular router model, which is a weirdo niche device (designed for hotel room wifi). Not many people have scrutinized this platform for bugs, so there are still a few obvious ones that need fixing.

Basically what I'm doing is fiddling with jumpers and IRQs, and finding the right driver settings to make all the peripherals work. In 2024, instead of dip switches, that means editing device tree files (like CSS for hardware). If you remember messing with modem cards and hard drive jumpers in the pre-Win 95 days, you know exactly what it's all about.

the pre-Win95 days are also mostly pre-FAT32 SHAMER days :shobon:

but luckily I have messed around with that kind of thing back when I worked for a different auto oem and it was very cathartic to get poo poo working on that stuff. your posts about it have been really interesting, so thanks for sharing them here :)

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

$15 Aruba AP-303H hotel wifi AP

This is the device. Nothing special, but it's amazing for $15. Very versatile with the PoE and lan ports. Solid 'enterprise' construction, polycarbonate and cast aluminum.

HP product page, because they're still selling these new.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

Yeah, if you've done microcontroller stuff, like setting up peripherals by loading config registers, it's a lot like that. In the case of this I2C bug, there are only so many ways you can misconfigure that I2C peripheral, so you just go ahead and start trying different settings.

(that's why I wanted a faster build machine: faster trial and error)

ryanrs fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 30, 2024

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

can you use Clear with a Ryzen? I thought you specifically said you can’t lol

im jizzin for ryzen

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

outhole surfer posted:

this is so confusing

there’s at least 3. there’s also the linux help thread on page 2

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

i just realized that "ppa" is just app spelled backwards

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

.poopooass was too long

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

rotor posted:

i just realized that "ppa" is just app spelled backwards

do you like linux?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

fart simpson posted:

there’s at least 3. there’s also the linux help thread on page 2

update: the yospos israel/palestine thread is turning into yet another linux thread

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

fart simpson posted:

update: the yospos israel/palestine thread is turning into yet another linux thread

death to mandrake

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

ryanrs posted:

My $16 travel router / MIPS dev box is up and running. I added a $13 64GB microSD card for more storage. It has 128MB of RAM, which is enough to run real software like compilers.

Power draw is 1.5W with the wifi off.

code:
536 ~$ ssh root@192.168.1.248
root@192.168.1.248's password: 

BusyBox v1.36.1 (2023-10-09 21:45:35 UTC) built-in shell (ash)

_______                     ________        __
 |       |.-----.-----.-----.|  |  |  |.----.|  |_
 |   -   ||  _  |  -__|     ||  |  |  ||   _||   _|
 |_______||   __|_____|__|__||________||__|  |____|
          |__| W I R E L E S S   F R E E D O M
 -----------------------------------------------------
 OpenWrt 23.05.0, r23497-6637af95aa
 -----------------------------------------------------
root@OpenWrt:~# cat /proc/version 
Linux version 5.15.134 (ryan@rockpro64) (mips-openwrt-linux-musl-gcc (OpenWrt GCC 12.3.0
 r23497-6637af95aa) 12.3.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils) 2.40.0) #0 Mon Oct 9 21:45:35 2023
root@OpenWrt:~# df -h
Filesystem                Size      Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root                 6.0M      6.0M         0 100% /rom
tmpfs                    59.5M     68.0K     59.5M   0% /tmp
/dev/sda1                59.7G    918.9M     58.8G   2% /overlay
overlayfs:/overlay       59.7G    918.9M     58.8G   2% /
tmpfs                   512.0K         0    512.0K   0% /dev
root@OpenWrt:~# gcc -x c -o yospos - && ./yospos | perl cowsay
#include <stdio.h>
int main(){ return 0 > puts("turn on your monitor"); }

\  (oo)\_______
            (__)\       )\/\
                ||----w |
                ||     ||
root@OpenWrt:~# python
Python 3.11.6 (main, Oct  9 2023, 21:45:35) [GCC 12.3.0] on linux
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.
>>> 
root@OpenWrt:~# 

OK I couldn't resist getting one of these for the price and now it is here on my very desk

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

You can stick "GL-AR750" into the OpenWrt Firmware Selector. Get the sysupgrade.bin, and then poke through the router's OEM web admin pages looking for "Advanced". That should get you to the vanilla OpenWrt flash upgrade page, where you can upload the sysupgrade.bin.

This router is very easy to flash, since it's already OpenWrt with just an OEM overlay/skin/theme.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

fart simpson posted:

the yospos israel/palestine thread

there's a lot of things i'm prepared to tolerate funny computer jokes about but this isnt one of them

Scud Hansen
Dec 13, 2015

Darkness and Evil

ryanrs posted:

You can stick "GL-AR750" into the OpenWrt Firmware Selector. Get the sysupgrade.bin, and then poke through the router's OEM web admin pages looking for "Advanced". That should get you to the vanilla OpenWrt flash upgrade page, where you can upload the sysupgrade.bin.

This router is very easy to flash, since it's already OpenWrt with just an OEM overlay/skin/theme.

Well, the flash seemed to go okay, but I'm not getting assigned an IP when I plug my laptop in to it via ethernet

e: the cable the gave me with it was just crappy, working now that i got a different one. woo!

Scud Hansen fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 30, 2024

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
yeah openwrt is good and LuCI is even pretty easy to use. i was gonna compile my own image over the weekend since asus-merlin is EOLing my model, but i guess i'll just use the image builder if it's Good Enough

the last time i messed with openwrt it was new and didn't work well, idk how well it works now

skip compiling Y/N?

e: hmm the defaults,

quote:

base-files brcmfmac-firmware-4366b1-pcie brcmfmac-firmware-4366c0-pcie busybox ca-bundle dnsmasq dropbear firewall4 fstools iwinfo kmod-brcmfmac kmod-brcmfmac kmod-gpio-button-hotplug kmod-leds-gpio kmod-nft-offload kmod-phy-bcm-ns-usb2 kmod-phy-bcm-ns-usb3 kmod-usb-ledtrig-usbport kmod-usb-ohci kmod-usb2 kmod-usb3 libc libgcc libustream-mbedtls logd luci mtd netifd nftables nvram odhcp6c odhcpd-ipv6only opkg osafeloader oseama otrx ppp ppp-mod-pppoe procd procd-seccomp procd-ujail uci uclient-fetch urandom-seed urngd wpad-basic-mbedtls wpad-basic-mbedtls

seem pretty decent, i'm not sure what else i would want included. adguard home maybe? would i need a custom uci-defaults for that since it provides dns and dhcp?

i also remember wanting to customize the crap out of the default busybox (adding bashism support, some utilities that aren't default), would it be easily replaceable with an imagebuilder image or should i just compile it on my own anyway?

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 30, 2024

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I submitted my patches so I won't have to compile. Running all my routers on stable releases is the goal.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
idk if you caught the edit but i'd appreciate some input on those questions since i guess either you or flappyjacks are our resident openwrt experts, lol. adding adguard home afterwards doesn't seem like it'd be a problem but maybe a custom busybox would? idk

tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

I have not actually used any of my routers to route packets, ha ha. I am still working on baseline functionality. Don't ask me about add-ons, I have no idea at all.