Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

BraveLittleToaster posted:

We could take another quick stroll into Inferno and use one of its portals to head to the West Coast and quickly intervene, depending on there being a portal hub network that easily allows this. Do we still have our protection heat protection and air quality rings? Not sure if we should take Rebecca along. Also, do we have any West Coast contacts that could be used to stymie Malcom's efforts, in exchange for favors or currency presumably?

Also proposing a Plan F, in case other plans are not present or fall through. We make a full tilt sprint to the West Cost to stop Malcolm with the Soul Speed Sneakers and pray to Athena, Odin, and Fortuna that that it works out.

Putting those out for consideration.

I need to update the inventory page, but yes, we still have our magic rings. We got everything back from Belisarius when he gave us the bundle of clothing and stuff.

I can say as a free action, if Josei texted or called Sami or Naomi, the IBoH does have a branch in Los Angeles, California. As a Valued Customer he could travel using their portal system to there. They don't allow bulk good hauling though and only people who have an account with the bank can use their portals. As an FYI, Malcolm and Rebecca's home is in San Francisco, also, which is about 350 miles away from Los Angeles. It's a five hour car ride according to Dr. Google.

Josei is also pretty sure he could use the Soul Speed Sneakers to get to the place really fast. The problem is that if he runs full tilt, he's also pretty sure he might spontaneously combust due to air friction. Also, it gets hard to avoid obstacles when he moves at rapid speeds. Plowing into a boulder at 700 MPH would not be fun.

Finally, if someone seconds reaching out to West Coast contacts, Josei can. Due to his GHOSTS OF THE PAST flaw, they will be people like Michelle and Fernando. There will be a cost to trying to get help from people Josei has burned.

AJ_Impy posted:

Huh, there's a thought. I'm putting this out for consideration rather than advocating it unsupported, but if it's all about to be destroyed, how about using it to fulfil the bounty? Drop the IDPD on Malcolm.

Doing this is basically going nuclear on Malcolm DeVir. It would be effective. Josei suspects it would also lead to him getting at the very least, stuck in lockup for a few days since he'd be investigated for being married to a terrorist. I'd need to see a strong consensus to do this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
'My words are backed with' as the old saying goes. Opens up a 'play both sides' possibility, call up Malcolm, let him know the IDPD are incoming on his place and would likely collar him, plead with him to get away, and then call up the IDPD and make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

JessAlias posted:

Josei is also pretty sure he could use the Soul Speed Sneakers to get to the place really fast. The problem is that if he runs full tilt, he's also pretty sure he might spontaneously combust due to air friction. Also, it gets hard to avoid obstacles when he moves at rapid speeds. Plowing into a boulder at 700 MPH would not be fun.

I didn't want to be a Negative Neddy and start shooting down everyone's ideas but yeah, reminding everyone again that the Sneakers just make us fast, they don't give us the full suite of comicbook speedster powers. And that doesn't even bring up the issue of navigation, figuring out where to go when everything's blowing past us at Mach 2 would be just a bit of a pickle. Oh, and blowing the Masquerade wide open, getting the Illuminati and who knows what else on our tail.

quote:

Doing this is basically going nuclear on Malcolm DeVir. It would be effective. Josei suspects it would also lead to him getting at the very least, stuck in lockup for a few days since he'd be investigated for being married to a terrorist. I'd need to see a strong consensus to do this.

... and this is the other conceptual clay pigeon. Big negatory, if for no other reason than it would give Malcolm every conceivable reason to put us in the IDPD's crosshairs (let alone the mundane justice system), and almost certainly make Rebecca a POI at minimum.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Also. Getting the Dimension Feds to smack around a guy we told his wife is alive using information we got from the spacetime mounties, they will figure out it came from us and Josei will be frozen in carbonararite and flung into a quasar probably. So NAH on magical swatting the guy.

YES to aiding Becca in hiring a bunch of our unsavory former pals to toss the place and steal and transfer to us everything of importance to her. She's sitting on an easy $300k with those soulmarks, wants to use em to save mom so there's her fix.

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 30, 2024

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Blasphemaster posted:

YES to aiding Becca in hiring a bunch of our unsavory former pals to toss the place and steal and transfer to us everything of importance to her. She's sitting on an easy $300k with those soulmarks, wants to use em to save mom so there's her fix.

Sure, tell 'em to make it look like a general robbery, take whatever else they can get their hands on and be messy about it. Rebecca might not like it but we need to cover our tracks, this is already suspicious but might be enough to throw him off.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Post is not edit

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023
Before you go ask MALCOLM that if his wife suddenly pop up in his room how would he react?

Also before that heavy question make some small talk with him about how he met GENEVIEVE. Just some small talk mind you and totally not checking if she's a Illuminati plant...

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 30, 2024

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

We lost the roll to have any meaningful impact on that conversation, the moment's passed. Not that any of that would matter to him in the slightest regardless, he'd completely written off both our trust and any possibilities regarding Veronica.

Ghost Armor 1337
Jul 28, 2023

McSpanky posted:

We lost the roll to have any meaningful impact on that conversation, the moment's passed. Not that any of that would matter to him in the slightest regardless, he'd completely written off both our trust and any possibilities regarding Veronica.

Eh we gotta get all the info for the hiest.

Also we should get disguises and masks for the hest and make it clear to our hires that Mr DeVir and his rebound are not to be harmed

Ghost Armor 1337 fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 30, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Blasphemaster posted:

Also. Getting the Dimension Feds to smack around a guy we told his wife is alive using information we got from the spacetime mounties, they will figure out it came from us and Josei will be frozen in carbonararite and flung into a quasar probably. So NAH on magical swatting the guy.

Actually since we gave Rebecca 6 soulmarks, Sami can redeem them instantly for 100K each. So Rebecca has 600K on hand easily. The IBOH gives a better exchange rate, but that would take time to process.

I'm working on the update now, Josei will start by attempting to reach out to Malcolm, then will call his West Coast criminal contacts business associates. Magic swatting is a last choice.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Ghost Armor 1337 posted:

Before you go ask MALCOLM that if his wife suddenly pop up in his room how would he react?

Also before that heavy question make some small talk with him about how he met GENEVIEVE. Just some small talk mind you and totally not checking if she's a Illuminati plant...

McSpanky posted:

Sure, tell 'em to make it look like a general robbery, take whatever else they can get their hands on and be messy about it. Rebecca might not like it but we need to cover our tracks, this is already suspicious but might be enough to throw him off.

Blasphemaster posted:

You decide to first just try calling Malcolm back to see if you can work something out. It rolls over to voicemail instantly, which really, makes sense. You're not sure why you thought he'd answer considering how the call ended.

You contemplate your options, and get the inkling of an idea. First, you reach over and pat Rebecca comfortingly, unsure of how else to react to her crying.

JOSEI: Hey, Becca, how about... you uh... sell those soulmarks I gave you, yeah? I... have an idea.

She sniffs, wiping her face with the back of her arm, but doesn't reply. You get a feeling of reluctance radiating off of her. You glance at her.

JOSEI: What?

REBECCA: I was gonna use those to help save m'mom.

She snorts, sounding all congested and snotty. You try not to grimace at the sound of it, and offer her a tissue from your pocket.

JOSEI: Hey, with the kind of cash that those soulmarks will bring in? I bet we could get enough money to hire some help from a guy I know, his name's Kenjiro.

Rebecca blows her nose noisily, and stares at you with red-rimmed eyes.

REBECCA: Yeah? Is he a friend of yours?

You pause, and clear your throat.

JOSEI: Ehh... maybe "friend" is a strong word. Colleague? Acquaintance?

She sighs, and closes her eyes for a moment to rest her forehead against your shoulder, as she takes deep breaths in and out.

REBECCA: I'unno, I guess it's worth a shot. I hosed everything up, it's better if you make the decisions now.

You nod slowly, and dial in a number from memory on your cell phone. Hopefully, Kenjiro didn't change his number.

To your... well, not relief, but surprise, at any rate, you hear the yakuza crime boss answer almost instantly, with a gruff voice.

KENJIRO: Takamura. Who is this?

JOSEI: Uh, hello Mr. Takamura. I'm Josei Joko, the gentleman who, uh...

KENJIRO: ...the gentleman who betrayed me most dishonorably? I would never forget your name! I was just thinking of you.

You swallow dryly. He sounds almost... jolly. Like you're a buddy calling him up to watch the football game and talk poo poo about the referees or something. Which makes it all the more alarming when his voice hardens into steel.

KENJIRO: Though, Josei, you can imagine my dismay when I found that a man I was quite happy to see die, instead somehow, survived to blow up a rich Hungarian businesswoman. A very noisy way to return to the land of the living.

You blink, and then realize he's talking about Dominika Corvinus. Kenjiro seems to be blissfully unaware of the Underworld, just like you used to be.

JOSEI: Uh... that wasn't a random act of terrorism, I'm uh, a bounty hunter.

KENJIRO: A very lovely one, with that much collateral damage, Josei. You might want to go back to thieving again. You always had such sticky fingers.

You smile nervously, despite yourself.

JOSEI: I imagine you're still mad about the stuff I er, obtained.

KENJIRO: The priceless artifacts you blatantly stole from me? Why yes. I will never forget that. It's why I have your little smiling face, on a photograph, stuck to the wall of my office.

There's a THUNK sound. You remember that Kenjiro was excellent at throwing knives. It doesn't take much to put two and two together.

JOSEI: Um. That's... lovely, sir. Anyway, um, I was hoping to ask you for a favor.

He says nothing, for a long time. You wonder if he hung up on you for a moment, but realize you can hear breathing. After a while, he finally says something.

KENJIRO: Josei... there must be a bad connection. It almost sounded like you were asking me for a favor.

JOSEI: Yes! Um, yes sir.

You hear him begin to chuckle. After a few moments, you hear laughter in the background as well. You realize he must have been having a meeting with some of his subordinates.

KENJIRO: Ah, you are a funny man, Mr. Joko! A very, very funny man.

He chuckles a few moments more, and then sobers up.

KENJIRO: So... I am going to be blunt to you, Josei, a man who I once considered as a VERY eligible candidate to marry my beloved daughter, until you stole from me.

KENJIRO: I had you killed, Josei.

JOSEI: Oh.

You aren't sure what to say to that.

KENJIRO: You stole my money and ran off into the night with it, without a backwards glance at me or my family.

KENJIRO: And somehow you are alive and contacting me after over a year of silence? After your former friend, Mr. Kyle Johnson, sent me pictures of your broken and bloodied corpse?

KENJIRO: I must admit, the only reason I am talking to you is from the sheer fascination I feel towards how you miraculously came back from the dead, like... who was it, that man in the Christian Bible... Lazarus. Yes.

You give a helpless, silent shrug. You have no idea. Kenjiro was always better read than you.

KENJIRO: But you know what? Go ahead and state what you wish help with. After your resurrection, calling me for a favor is, how is it that the Americans put it... small potatoes.

You take a deep breath, and exhale. Considering the situation, you decide sharing ALL the details of what is going on is... unwise. He might not even agree to help, after all.

JOSEI: I've got a friend who owns a laboratory, and some goons are coming in to smash up everything and burn it. It's in San Francisco, near Stanford University.

JOSEI: I need help where some of your guys get in first to do a smash and grab, then hold the stuff until my friend picks it up. I also need help loving with the traffic and causing delays so the goons don't get there. Without killing them.

KENJIRO: Hmm. And I am guessing this is a rush job, yes?

JOSEI: Yeah. ASAP.

KENJIRO: Very well. That will be $500,000 USD.

You have to work hard to keep from swearing. That's an obscene price for a job like this. It's not like you're even asking for a hit. But... beggars can't be choosers. And you know that Kenjiro's men are professionals, and will get it done.

JOSEI: OK. Sure. Sounds good. How do you want me to send you the directions and the address?

Kenjiro sounds a bit surprised. It's obvious he wasn't expecting you to accept the offer.

KENJIRO: Hm. A secure message via Telegram would be fine. And after the wire transfer clears, we will begin working.

You stiffen a bit.

JOSEI: It's a rush job, sir. Is there a way your men can get started while I move funds around?

KENJIRO: Ah... you're wanting to EXPEDITE the rush job? With COD? Well! In that case, I suppose we can make an arrangement. I can send my men down, get the work done, and hold the goods. We can do the exchange for cash, or we can just wait until the wire transfer clears. If nothing happens, my men dump it all in the Pacific Ocean.

KENJIRO: Though for that courtesy, it will be an additional charge.

JOSEI: Okay, what are you thinking? Another 100 grand?

You hear a sharp bark of laughter.

KENJIRO: Not quite. I was thinking more like... hm. $750,000 total would be fair, don't you agree?

Your jaw drops. That's highway robbery. Even if Rebecca sells all her soulmarks, you'd need to add on some of your own funds to help cover it. But do you really have a choice?

> Josei knows that Kenjiro is an honorable man. If we make this deal, he will uphold it. But it's still an obscene amount of money.

Character Sheets & Inventory
USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $374,611
SM ACCOUNT BALANCE: Ω1.55

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 00:57 on May 1, 2024

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

We have $350k in the bank, Rebecca covers $400k with 4 of her soulmarks, done.

I don't like the idea of selling soulmarks for cash, it seems like it's much easier to convert soulmarks to mundane currency and get mundane currency than it is to get soulmarks.

Aesculus fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 1, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Agree to pay the fellow, use your own cash to assist in purchasing his services. We need this done sooner.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

I'm inclined towards making an offer he can't refuse. A foot in the door to ground floor opportunity that you guarantee he hasn't heard of before. Let him know we've already got Investors from Hell and our employer the spooky maybe-used-to-be-biblical-Judge-Dredd. Maybe he reconsiders his prices for our friend and we can all make each other a lot of money, (including what he is owed, in time, maybe). Remind him that we're running on Dark Souls rules now, in case he hadn't noticed, in way of evidence for our claim.

Edit: come to think of it, he'd probably get along famously with Veldrin

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 02:22 on May 1, 2024

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Take the offer, don't try to initiate Kenjiro. He's got us bent over a barrel as it is, Lord knows what would happen if he discovered things go bump in the night too.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 1, 2024

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Three votes for just paying him straight up vs one vote for trying to negotiate. I'll be going with the consensus, because failing the negotiation could just lead to him hanging up on us. Working on the next update.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Aesculus posted:

We have $350k in the bank, Rebecca covers $400k with 4 of her soulmarks, done.

I don't like the idea of selling soulmarks for cash, it seems like it's much easier to convert soulmarks to mundane currency and get mundane currency than it is to get soulmarks.

Agree to pay the fellow, use your own cash to assist in purchasing his services. We need this done sooner.

McSpanky posted:

Take the offer, don't try to initiate Kenjiro. He's got us bent over a barrel as it is, Lord knows what would happen if he discovered things go bump in the night too.

You sigh, and nod. Then you remember you're on the phone.

JOSEI: Alright. I accept your offer.

There's another long pause.

KENJIRO: Excuse me?

You can't help but smirk. In the end, your unpredictability always leaves people flat footed.

JOSEI: I said I accept.

KENJIRO: For... $750,000 USD?

JOSEI: Yes.

A stunned silence is the only reply that he can think of, until eventually Kenjiro breaks it.

KENJIRO: You really must be desperate. Very well. Send me the information, and we will get started.

You find him on Telegram, and message him. He confirms he received it, and the wheels begin to go into motion.

KENJIRO: I never thought I'd say this, but it's a pleasure doing business with you again. This will go towards making up for the shameful debt you have occurred with me.

JOSEI: Not 100%, I'm guessing.

He chuckles at this remark, and there is another long pause as he thinks over something.

KENJIRO: Tell me Josei, why did you do it?

You frown at this sudden question, and blink as you try to parse it. The sad part is, you don't have an answer. Thus, you decide to for once, be honest with him rather than bullshitting an answer.

JOSEI: To tell you the truth? No idea. It just popped into my head, and I went with my heart.

You pause.

JOSEI: Tell Kasumi I'm sorry, for what it's worth.

KENJIRO: ...you're about to hang up on me, aren't y-

You hang up on Kenjiro, feeling oddly wistful. Rebecca gives you a curious look.

REBECCA: Who's Kasumi?

You shrug.

JOSEI: An old friend, we had a falling out. Anyway! We've got to sell off some of your soulmarks, I just paid a yakuza boss a fortune to fix you making GBS threads all over your dad.

Rebecca blanches, obviously expecting a tirade from you. You just ruffle her hair affectionately instead, causing her to scowl and duck away.

REBECCA: Jesus I hate it when you do that!

JOSEI: I know. That's why I do it.

You give a sage nod.

Malcolm DeVir drummed his fingers as he stared out the window of his Rolls-Royce, fuming. He still couldn't believe the sheer... indecency, and ingratitude of his daughter. That damned obsession of hers... she couldn't realize that the reason he had been keeping his affair secret was due to her stubborn pig-headedness. He could feel his teeth clenching as he struggled to keep his temper under control.

Then a cool hand touched his arm, followed by a voice speaking calmly in a French accent. "Malcolm... you are letting this eat you away inside. Is it so wrong for a young girl to want her mother back?"

He turned to stare at Genevieve, and realized that it wasn't her fault... it was Josei's fault for filling Rebecca's head with such nonsense. His expression softened, and he reached out to pull his mistress close to him. She came willingly, snuggling up against him and resting her head against his shoulder. "Mon cher, perhaps she could be reasoned with. Maybe if you give her a hug, explain to her your side of the story, that will help?"

He shook his head, and grunted. "She wouldn't get it. She's so damned stubborn, just like... her mother." He stared out at the traffic, remembering the old arguments. He wished he could pretend that he and Veronica had a happy marriage, but frankly, they were too intelligent and headstrong people to have that kind of relationship. They fought constantly, both verbally and physically in the bedroom. They weren't married for love; they married for stability and security. It was only the birth of their daughter, Rebecca, that caused them to put aside their differences and get along with each other.

And now he feared his daughter was turning into Veronica, but worse. The same obsessive drive, but directed towards an even more impossible goal.

A cool hand touched his chin, tugging his face so he met Genevieve's sapphire eyes. "Mon cher... she is your daughter, not your wife. She is young. She has her whole life ahead of her. Let her pursue her dreams, while she is young and foolish and innocent."

Malcolm clenched his jaw. "She almost died, Jean. I'm not letting her do something stupid like that... ever again. End of discussion."

"The harder you try to imprison her, the more she will try to run. This is something I know very well." Malcolm glanced over at her with a raised eyebrow, and she gave a graceful shrug, looking pensive for a moment before shaking her head. After a moment, he paused, putting two and two together. He knew that Genevieve had some sort of murky history with human trafficking, though she never wanted to share the details no matter how much he begged. The most she'd say is that she had three siblings who had shared a similar fate, who were out in the world as well.

He set this thought aside, and grunted. His mind was made up. All of Rebecca's nonsese needed to be destroyed. It ended, tonight-

Both he and Genevieve jerked forward as the vehicle hit its brakes hard, causing both of them to be thrown against their seatbelts. Malcolm heard one of the bodyguards curse loudly, and the sound of the door opening. He glanced over to see one of the black suited guards get out, a hand on his holster.

"Something wrong, young man?"

The guard stood up at the open door, peering at a traffic accident. "Just some kind of car accident, sir. Thought it might be an ambush."

Malcolm opened the window and peered out. Sure enough, two junker cars had smashed into one another. The drivers were young looking, fit men, both covered in some kind of gang tattoos. They looked vaguely Oriental. Japanese, maybe? Both of them were shouting at each other loudly, gesticulating angrily and pointing fingers at one another's faces. Malcolm rolled his eyes and settled back in his seat. He wasn't exactly in a rush... it's not like Rebecca's warehouse laboratory would grow legs and walk off.

Eventually the police showed up, and took statements from both drivers, as well as Malcolm's chaffeur, and even Malcolm himself. Eventually they both waved his motorcade on, and the chaffeur continued on his way towards Rebecca's laboratory... only to hid another roadblock.

This time it looked like a troupe of construction workers had apparently decided it was time for some roadway maintainance. They were setting up traffic cones and deploying jackhammers, only for some cops to show up and start shouting at them. Malcolm muttered, "Jesus Christ. This city gets worse and worse every day."

Genevieve squeezed his arm comfortingly and offered him a smile. "It is probably just bad luck, no? The traffic signals are red most of the time anyway."

Malcolm grumbled with ill grace, and stolidly sat in his seat, feeling his temper slowly begin to boil. It conitnued like this for the next two hours. Delay, after delay, after delay. Eventually Malcolm was about ready to call the mayor, or the governor, or SOMEONE, when they finally reached the parking lot outside Rebecca's lab.

The moment Malcolm and his men exited the car, they knew something was wrong. A window was smashed, and the doors were yawning emptily, with an interior completely devoid of Rebecca's machines and other equipment.

Malcolm felt his stomach drop as if someone had just cut the wires on a tightrope he'd been walking on, and now he was plummeting to the earth far below. Was Rebecca behind this? She was on the East Coast. How the hell did she get there? He darted inside, looking around. Every room was empty. It was like a professional moving company had come in and stripped the building bare with frightening efficiency.

He heard the sound of clacking high heels and turned around, seeing Genevieve walk up and take in the surroundings. She just got a faintly amused smile. "Well, mon cher... it looks like the bird has flown the coop, mmm?"

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

After selling off some of Rebecca's soulmarks, you decide to also tap your available funds to help pay off Kenjiro. It seems like a waste to force Rebecca to sell off all her soulmarks when you've got some cash on hand. You figure that you can settle up later, or something. Sami is remarkably helpful with the process, and even calls up Naomi to expedite the wire transfer.

You have spent $300,000 USD.

You get a message from Kenjiro saying that the job's done. You message him back saying that the wire transfer is processing, and that it will probably be in his account in the morning. He just gives you a thumbs up in response. Hopefully that means he's happy.

With that done, you decide that this has been an overly stressful day for your liking. You get a fancy dinner at a nice restaurant, take Goodboy on a long walk and feed him his dinner, and then spend the evening watching dumb reality television and pointless documentaries. There are worse ways to spend an evening, you figure.

The next morning, you wake up late and have a leisurely breakfast. You have a whole day ahead of you. What do you do next?

> Select what you want today's priorities to be. We can't do everything at once, if we select too much stuff, things will get pushed to tomorrow.
A) The wire transfer may have finished processing. We can contact Kenjiro to figure out how to get our hands on the goods.
B) We still haven't met Arch-Magister Roger Bacon to discuss the whole escaped elemental business. We should probably do that.
C) We can move forward with the whole signing away our soul finalizing the business partnership with the IBoH thing.
D) Someone said something about recovering the Minotaur's map and fixing it. That would be a Nike Question.
E) We can visit Richter, to get things. Like the $100,000 clips for the cyberpunk gun that the author totally didn't forget to have Josei to buy, what are you talking about? (We spent all our money technically, but at least we could ask him to hold them or something???)
F) We can grab villagers and fling them onto the farmhouse property if we want, Someone Else suggested having at least set up shop there while we're awaiting investments and additional setup.
G) Other Stuff. Fill in random ideas or whatever else it is the author forgot.

USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $74,611

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
A, C, B, get our priority things done.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

ABC

+1 Mad Science Lab.

Becca gonna hook us up with some some interdimensional cable for the Countryside HQ. GORELAX on food, we'll need someone to run the Bar.

It's been a good time to rewatch Fringe.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
ABC

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ABC - that should be busy enough. If not, I've got some ideas.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Looks like ABC it is. Working on the next update.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

After putting your dishes in the dishwasher and taking Goodboy on his walk, you look at the clock. It's kind of early to call Kenjiro, actually. He's on the West Coast. You decide to instead call Naomi to confirm an appointment with her, to work out the business agreement the two of you had discussed.

Luckily, it turns out she has open availability. With that in mind, you just need to travel to Sami's place to use a courtesy portal to travel to the Infernal Bank of Hades.

Due to the early hour, the lobby of the IBoH is quiet. You still remember where Naomi's office is, and briskly make your way down the hallway. The door is securely shut to keep the chilled air in. You give it a knock.

NAOMI: Come in!

You open the door and walk inside, quickly shutting the door behind you. You're glad you're dressed professionally in a two piece suit, the place is freezing as usual. Naomi is behind her desk, typing at her computer. She gives you a nod in greeting, and idly fans herself with a manila folder.

NAOMI: Good morning, Mr. Joko. Are you ready for our meeting?

JOSEI: Ready as I ever can be. You know, can you indulge my curiosity?

As you sit down across from her, she gets a bemused smile, and nods.

JOSEI: What temperature do you actually feel comfortable at?

Naomi blinks, and then snorts.

NAOMI: To be blunt, fridge temperatures. Even this feels a bit muggy to me.

You stare at one of the A/C units that's running full blast. It's set to 65 degrees Fahrenheit right now, and is running like crazy to get there.

JOSEI: Jesus.

She gives you a withering look.

NAOMI: Language, Mr. Joko.

You do your best to keep a straight face, and give an apologetic nod. You still aren't used to how Inferno views invoking God or Christ as about equivalent to four-letter curse words.

JOSEI: Sorry, forgot myself there. Anyway, whaddaya got?

Naomi nods, and presents some paperwork. You're not exactly a business major - hell, you never graduated from high school - but it doesn't look like a bad deal. In exchange for 2 million dollars in seed oney, the IBoH will ask for a permanent stake in the operation by assigning an onsite representative. Said representative will have the sole authority to negotiate with mortals with regard to signing away their souls. The 'sole authority' section has a bunch of confusing legalese, so you decide to ask for clarification.

JOSEI: What does this mean?

You tap the offending paragraph, and Naomi peers at it over a pair of cute looking librarian glasses that she magically poofed up from somewhere. She bites her lip in thought before offering an explanation.

NAOMI: As the point person representing the bank in your venture, I have sole authority in dealing with mortals with regard to souls. That means that you have a responsibility to do three things.

She starts ticking off fingers.

NAOMI: One, YOU do not attempt to engage in soul commerce, anywhere.

NAOMI: Two, you do not attempt to prevent me from engaging in soul commerce on the site.

NAOMI: Three, you do not give permission to any other party to engage in soul commerce on the site. Does that answer your question?

You nod, frowning, and return to reading the paperwork. Your frown deepens a bit when you read the final clauses that threaten some repercussions if things fall through. You tap that paragraph.

JOSEI: What about this?

Naomi gives a shrug, looking unconcerned.

NAOMI: It's fairly standard. You're committing to opening a facility within no less than one year. If you fail to hold up your end of the bargain, then we'll be putting a lien on the property, seizing it. Then we'll liquidate it to pay off your debts.

She gives a thin smile.

NAOMI: You're lucky in this case, Mr. Joko. Since you're just requesting a loan in mundane currency, we wouldn't be attempting anything with regard to your soul.

JOSEI: ...but I'm in hock with Sami?

The blue-skinned demon gives a shrug.

NAOMI: And? We could always just work out a deal where we take over the contract, and you do bounties on our behalf.

You furrow your brow.

JOSEI: But why would Sami agree to that?

She shrugs yet again.

NAOMI: It would be easy enough to come to an agreement. Something we've done in the past is give her an offer where we'd double the contractor's debt, and split the difference. So if you owe 75 soulmarks now... well, you'd owe 150. 75 to the IBoH, 75 to Sami. Everybody wins.

There's a pause.

NAOMI: Except for you. But this is all theoretical, Mr. Joko. Again, you're just borrowing mundane currency.

You nod slightly, and tap another section of the penalty clauses.

JOSEI: This talks about what happens if there's not enough volume. Explain that, please.

NAOMI: Mmm? Oh, well, your facility needs to have sufficient business to offset the investment. After opening the facility, a clock starts ticking. We will need to see an intake revenue of at least 50 soulmarks within the first year. After 1 year, you and I will meet to re-evaluate and set a realistic quota moving forward. If you refuse to meet, then the yearly requirement remains at 50 soulmarks.

You stare at her.

JOSEI: That's... my entire debt. Well, it was, anyway, before I died again. Um - anyway. That's insane.

She raises an eyebrow, tilting her head.

NAOMI: Not really? You just need to get the foot traffic in. I'll be the one signing up souls.

She gets a razor sharp, predatory grin for a moment, and slides her tongue over her lips.

NAOMI: It'd be a challenge... but I'm confident in my abilities of persuasion, Mr. Joko.

Far from finding this attractive, you lean back in your seat. There's a hunger here, but it's not a sexual one. It puts you in mind of a beast on the hunt.

JOSEI: Right. Er. What happens if you just... don't bother to sign people up, though?

Naomi arches her eyebrows, looking amused.

NAOMI: Mr. Joko, I'm a professional. But setting that aside... my supervisor wouldn't let me leave the branch to sit on my rear end doing nothing. I'd have my own quota to meet.

You rub your chin a bit, scratching at your beard. You're not sure if you have any other questions... or if you're really ready to sign this agreement with a literal demon.

> You can ask more questions, but at some point we need to decide if we will sign on the dotted line.

Aesculus
Mar 22, 2013

What does "soul commerce" mean exactly, in terms of this contract? I'm concerned that if we sign, we'll suddenly find ourselves unable to do certain unspecified unfortunate acts anywhere, ever, since it does state that we're not to engage in soul commerce anywhere, permanently.

Is there a timeframe for the agreement? Say, if we wanted to close up shop and retire in 10 years, would we still have to meet the 50 souls a year requirement?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

So with this soul commerce thing. When someone defaults in these circumstances is it similar to having a lien on their soul? Do they get transmuted into a soulmarks? I'm mostly curious here but I need to know just what sort of tone we'd be setting.

Having the bank right on hand at home will be fantastically handy, so there's that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Do vampire souls work for this sort of thing?

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Throwing in a vote to sign.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Her coldness gives me an idea. We could probably set up an few rooms like those Korean dry saunas with the ice cold area at the end. The various temps would help us host a wider range of clientele and most importantly, keep our on-site banker as comfortable as possible. The best loan officer is an incredibly relaxed loan officer.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Aesculus posted:

What does "soul commerce" mean exactly, in terms of this contract? I'm concerned that if we sign, we'll suddenly find ourselves unable to do certain unspecified unfortunate acts anywhere, ever, since it does state that we're not to engage in soul commerce anywhere, permanently.

Is there a timeframe for the agreement? Say, if we wanted to close up shop and retire in 10 years, would we still have to meet the 50 souls a year requirement?

Blasphemaster posted:

So with this soul commerce thing. When someone defaults in these circumstances is it similar to having a lien on their soul? Do they get transmuted into a soulmarks? I'm mostly curious here but I need to know just what sort of tone we'd be setting.

Having the bank right on hand at home will be fantastically handy, so there's that.

NAOMI: There is actually a clause where, AFTER the initial setup period, you can sell off your stake in the operation. We would assess the business and provide a fair market value based on our appraisal.

NAOMI: This only applies after two years from the signing of the contract. So you have one year to operate, one year for us to generate a 50 soulmark income. After that you can walk away from the business if you choose.

NAOMI: As for soul commerce... a soulmark is unique because it is generated from a soul that has been voluntarily signed over to a representative of the Infernal Bank of Hades, or by someone licensed to do soul commerce on behalf of the IBoH.

NAOMI: Once a blood-contract has been signed, upon death, the contractor's soul is given over to the contractee. This is a smooth, painless process that creates a high quality, official soulmark. The body still remains and can be disposed of according to the contractor's wishes.

NAOMI: A voluntarily given soul is ineffably more valuable than a soul that is taken without permission, because the proper preparation has been made. There are some demons who make counterfeit soulmarks using unlawfully reaped souls. These can be exchanged by hand to unsuspecting people, but there are some simple tests that can reveal a counterfeit soulmark. All of our representatives are trained in this, and it's possible to certify other Underworld persons with the right biology to do the same. Sami can detect if a soulmark is counterfeit, for example.

NAOMI: With regard to the deals offered in exchange for ownership of a human's soul... well, you can freely reference pop culture and other media. Eternal life is a popular one, for example. So is love. Performing these types of trades are considered engaging in soul commerce.

NAOMI: The reason we put in a clause preventing YOU from engaging in soul commerce is so that you don't try to compete with me. We just make it a blanket ban to make sure you aren't doing sneaky networking, then going somewhere offsite to close out the deal. If you're not planning to get into the business of tempting mortals to sign away their souls, you have nothing to fear.

McSpanky posted:

Do vampire souls work for this sort of thing?

NAOMI: Yes, though vampires usually refuse to engage in soul commerce unless they're desperate. Not like they need eternal youth anymore, hm?

FYI, I only see one clear vote for signing. You can still ask more questions, but I'll need to see a consensus before I move forward.

JessAlias fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 1, 2024

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
Does the soul commerce clause in any way interfere with regular soulmark exchange or purchase on the property? Can we divvy up our shares for completed bounties at the premises?

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

How much of the offered cash is expected to be spent on the establishment of the new bank branch on location? Are we supplying them a plot of land, land and building, plus furnishing, incorporating their requirements into a larger overall multipurpose structure? Will the bank be paying for its own upkeep?

Blasphemaster fucked around with this message at 01:25 on May 2, 2024

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Sure, let's dance with the devil.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

AJ_Impy posted:

Does the soul commerce clause in any way interfere with regular soulmark exchange or purchase on the property? Can we divvy up our shares for completed bounties at the premises?

NAOMI: No, there is no restriciton on normal soulmark exchanges or purchases. "Soul commerce" refers exclusively to convincing humans to surrender their souls in exchange for other tasks and services.

NAOMI: Also yes, if I'm working onsite you can use the full suite of banking services, such as breaking up completed contracts amongst your associates.

Blasphemaster posted:

How much of the offered cash is expected to be spent on the establishment of the new bank branch on location? Are we supplying them a plot of land, land and building, plus furnishing, incorporating their requirements into a larger overall multipurpose structure? Will the bank be paying for its own upkeep?

NAOMI: None of the cash must be invested in establishing a new bank branch, aside from supplying a plot of land.

NAOMI: Also the IBoH will pay for upkeep. Keep in mind that initially it will be a very small branch... perhaps even a kiosk, if foot traffic is low. If business picks up, we will add on additional staff and may ask for additional space.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Add an option that if the acquired souls do not account for the full 50 within the year then we may pay an equivalent amount of soul marks to cover the gap instead of giving up stake in the endeavor, and we're good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Blasphemaster posted:

Add an option that if the acquired souls do not account for the full 50 within the year then we may pay an equivalent amount of soul marks to cover the gap instead of giving up stake in the endeavor, and we're good.

Seconding

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Throwing in a vote to sign.

Blasphemaster posted:

McSpanky posted:

Sure, let's dance with the devil.

JOSEI: Just one last thing. Can you add in a clause where I can make up the difference of 50 within a year, rather than just giving up a stake?

Naomi gets a considering look, and nods.

NAOMI: That is an acceptable addendum. One moment.

She rolls her chair over to her computer, and begins typing away. There is an awkward silence as she does so, broken only by the furious clacking of keys and clicking of her mouse. Naomi has a studious look of concentration on her face while she works.

Then the printer whirs to life, and spits out new pages for her to sign and review with you. You spend a bit longer looking over the amended paperwork, and nod.

JOSEI: Looks good. Uh. Do we sign in blood?

Naomi laughs lightly.

NAOMI: Of course, it wouldn't be binding if it wasn't a blood-contract. This isn't just opening a bank account, Mr. Joko.

She opens a drawer, and takes out a wickedly sharp letter opener. She offers it to you handle first with a smile that shows entirely too many teeth.

NAOMI: Please sign on the dotted line, if you would be so kind?

You gulp, and awkwardly make a cut on your hand. You smearily write your signature with your index finger on the bottom of the contract.

Naomi slides the form to herself to examine it briefly. Then, she uses the letter opener to slice her left palm open, with no noticeable reaction. She signs her name with an elegant flourish. You watch, wide-eyed, as the cut knits itself together as soon as she lifts the blade off the paper. Naomi smiles at your expression, and winks playfully at you as she wipes the letter opener clean on a napkin.

NAOMI: Don't want to get blood all over the papers, mmm?

She snaps her fingers, and the signatures glow a bright red, before the contract vanishes. The printer churns again, and a set of copies of the documents you just signed comes out.

NAOMI: There we go. Now, with that done... let's finish setting up your business account, so your new investment doesn't get mixed up with your private funds.

A short while later, your new investment is deposited in your new business account, and she presents you with an additional debit card. Your eyes widen, unlike your debit card, this one is a shiny silver instead of a dark black color.

NAOMI: You're a Platinum business associate now, Mr. Joko. Once you've identified a plot of land and have given me the coordinates, I'll run through what that all means. But with that, I do have other appointments... and a meeting with my supervisor to close out.

You have gained $2,000,000!
You have gained a business account, usable for mundane cash currently.

She shoos you out of her office with a smile, and you make your way back to the lobby of the bank. After stepping through a portal to Sami's lair, you check the time. It's still too early to bug Kenjiro... so you decide to move on to visiting this mysterious Arch-Magister Roger Bacon.

Much like Cadogan, Roger Bacon has an address that seems to lead to a blank brick wall in a nicer part of town. You rummage in your pocket and find the sheet of paper that Sami gave you. She didn't have a full dossier, because she said Friar Bacon would have the details. A part of you wonders what the hell a Friar even is. You probably should have asked her, but really, you have a lot going on.

You unfold the sheet of paper and utter the words inscribed in Latin upon it.

JOSEI: Ahem... Aedificium absconditum, nunc te revelare jubeo! Lumine veritatis, patefacere quod latet!

The brickwork shimmers, and unnaturally slides along. You see a building rise up where none existed, like it was hidden in a seam of reality that was simply shifted out of the way. You realize it's actually a tower made of reddish brick, and is far taller than any building should be for its width. It looks like it would have issues with physics staying upright, but hey, magic probably keeps it from toppling over.

It grows, and grows, and grows, making you almost think of a flower sprouting up and getting ready to bloom. Your eyes widen as the wizard tower reaches up to the heavens, until the top of it is obscured by clouds, and beyond that... outer space?

There's a large door made of a dull looking green metal. Maybe tarnished copper, you guess. The door knocker has a fearsome gargoyle face made of the same greenish metal. There is also a doormat which reads "Go Away".

You scratch your head in confusion at the clear indication you're not wanted, shrug, and slam the heavy doorknocker a few times, causing the door to echo with a booming clang each time.

To your surprise, rather than the either someone opening the door, or the voice of Arch-Magister Bacon calling out, the gargoyle making up the doorknocker speaks. His voice is a bit muffled due to the ring of metal in his mouth.

GARGOYLE: Fod off.

JOSEI: Er... what?

GARGOYLE: I FAID, fod off. Go gently caress yourfelf. No folifitorf.

You blink.

JOSEI: No solicitors?

GARGOYLE: That'f what I loving faid, no folifitorf.

JOSEI: ....I'm not a solicitor, though, I'm here for the bounty?

GARGOYLE: Fo? Do you fink I gife a gently caress? Mafter faid don't leff nobuffy in, I'm not leffing nobuffy in.

Well, you appear to be at an impasse, here.

BUSINESS USD ACCOUNT BALANCE: $2,000,000

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
Ask the gargoyle it'll let you in if you answer its riddles three.

JessAlias
Aug 21, 2017

Ask the gargoyle it'll let you in if you answer its riddles three.

JOSEI: ...will you let me in if I answer a riddle?

GARGOYLE: ...fure. How about thif: "I fee a head wif no wit wifin, ftanding before me, where to begin? What if thif creature, daft and dim, that finks thif door will opfen for him?"

You stare at the door knocker. He stares back at you.

JOSEI: You're kind of an rear end in a top hat.

GARGOYLE: Wrong anfer, the correct anfer if YOU. gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

What if I hold the ring for a little bit so you can rest your jaw?