Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Babe Magnet posted:

I feel like you're skipping a step here. The review-bombing and refunds didn't come out of nowhere, they came as a reaction to the PSN restrictions. You really find it more like that Valve saw a bunch of negative reviews and just randomly decided "gently caress Pakistan, Gambia, and Tokelau!"?

yeah i think that if a game publisher said that they were going to ban everyone in all of these countries because they were in those countries and then still sold the game to them valve would maybe stop allowing the game to be sold there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Postman
May 12, 2007

i lied about being 13 when i signed up for runescape and have paid dearly for it ever since

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Babe Magnet posted:

I feel like you're skipping a step here. The review-bombing and refunds didn't come out of nowhere, they came as a reaction to the PSN restrictions. You really find it more like that Valve saw a bunch of negative reviews and just randomly decided "gently caress Pakistan, Gambia, and Tokelau!"?

What? no. Why would I be saying that? what? How is that your takeaway from any of what I said?

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Calling out anti-consumer practices is all well and good unless it involves a videogame then everyone is uwu babbies and overreacting, apparently.

E: some people are definitely overreacting don’t get me wrong.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Cheap Shot posted:

What? no. Why would I be saying that? what? How is that your takeaway from any of what I said?

this part

Cheap Shot posted:

The game has been available in those regions this whole time until just now after large scale review-bombing and refunds. I'll admit I can't say with 100% certainty that they weren't always going to but I mean...common

specifically pointing to "game was available in those regions until after large scale review bombing", that sounds like you're correlating the license pulling more to the review bombing and refunds than to the fact that they can't sell the game where you can't sign up for a legit secondary account

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Babe Magnet posted:

You really find it more like that Valve saw a bunch of negative reviews and just randomly decided "gently caress Pakistan, Gambia, and Tokelau!"

Gaben has a long-held grudge against those countries and will utilize any flimsy pretense to act against them

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah they keep turning him away at the border, no room

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Gaben has a long-held grudge against those countries and will utilize any flimsy pretense to act against them

They once insulted his sword wall and he doesn’t forgive those slights.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Babe Magnet posted:

Yeah they keep turning him away at the border, no room

:eyepop:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Eswatini is pro-#SaveTF2 and it enrages him just thinking about it

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Bussamove posted:

Calling out anti-consumer practices is all well and good unless it involves a videogame then everyone is uwu babbies and overreacting, apparently.

E: some people are definitely overreacting don’t get me wrong.

The entirety of life is trending anti consumer, and especially gaming. I wish these gamers would have protested the unjust layoff of thousands of game devs and shuttering of viable, quality game studios, and other far more egregious anti consumer practices instead of piling on to a good game studio that made a good game. Arrowhead does not deserve even an ounce of the stupidity hurled their way over something that is genuinely out of their control.

Anyways I hope they can find a resolution to this that allows everyone who wants to play the game.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Babe Magnet posted:

this part

specifically pointing to "game was available in those regions until after large scale review bombing", that sounds like you're correlating the license pulling more to the review bombing and refunds than to the fact that they can't sell the game where you can't sign up for a legit secondary account

No I said they clearly can because they did, and feels likely to me that they would have continued to. PSN was required from the start like I said, and was temporarily suspended post launch. If it was Sony's call or Valves I don't know.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

It's absolutely Sony's call, in that Valve could/would be in deep poo poo if they weren't being forced to ban these countries by Sony's decision. Sure they could just, not pull the license to sell there, but now they're selling a game that requires you to break another company's ToS to play, which is a bigger deal in the business world than it is in the consumer world lol

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 03:26 on May 5, 2024

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Babe Magnet posted:

that's not a list of regions that psn is unavailable in. it includes parts of the united states, the united kingdom. they added japan in a separate update, earlier. it also does not include at least a few european countries that psn isn't available in

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
https://i.imgur.com/vC7sxTF.mp4

lol

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

turn off the TV posted:

that's not a list of regions that psn is unavailable in. it includes parts of the united states, the united kingdom. they added japan in a separate update, earlier. it also does not include at least a few european countries that psn isn't available in

there's more than one list. I feel like I'm clearly referring to the places where the game is actually being pulled but you know what, I'll cop to muddying that up by making jokes about the other list that's just steam's changelog

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I spent like 4 hours one night cleaning up a greenscreen of that intro and I never uploaded it anywhere, wanted to use it on something myself but I couldn't think of anything really good. I've even got the bit after the snap but it's still kind of lovely full of artifacts right now

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Internet zoomers: I don’t want to violate the TOS they might ban me

Elder video gamers: tldr that Eula, make fake details so we can play the game

What’s so hard people. If they ban you get a refund

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Risky Bisquick posted:

Internet zoomers: I don’t want to violate the TOS they might ban me

Elder video gamers: tldr that Eula, make fake details so we can play the game

What’s so hard people. If they ban you get a refund

The whole point is that you shouldn't have to navigate bullshit like this to begin with.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

goons turn into contrarian corporate sycophants the moment they find out reddit is mad about something.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

ShadowMar posted:

goons turn into contrarian corporate sycophants the moment they find out reddit is mad about something.

corpos can suck my balls which is why i fill their servers with garbo accounts full of fake info and enjoy games while breaking the tos

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

ShadowMar posted:

You're totally right. I made a throwaway PSN account when I started Helldivers 2, because I didn't realise it wasn't really required at the time, and also because I don't give a poo poo. This is exactly the same as if I was praising Sony and defending their bullshit. I might as well have flown to Japan to suck their CEO's dick.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 5, 2024

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i've been impersonating kaz hirai on sony's playstation network since 2011

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Jerkface posted:

corpos can suck my balls which is why i fill their servers with garbo accounts full of fake info and enjoy games while breaking the tos

that's illegal

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

deep dish peat moss posted:

I'm looking forward to looking at the playercounts on thursday when the new warbond drops

CallofDuty2boycott.jpg

Bussamove posted:

The whole point is that you shouldn't have to navigate bullshit like this to begin with.

No one is disputing that. Gaben has your back, just cheat the tos who cares

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

turn off the TV posted:

that's illegal

they shall taste my blade if they send the cops after me

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

"game has always required PSN" really does sound like trying to catch people with some kind of dumb gotcha, like they're more interested in being technically correct than letting people have something cool and nice. A couple of days was the time to rectify the PSN problem, not 3 months, it can't be worth it to let all that time pass showing that the PSN account linkage is actually almost entire superfluous and then spend the effort to try and cram that toothpaste back into the tube and pretend that this was always the plan. At least not to anyone who's brain isn't mush and spreadsheets.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 03:55 on May 5, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i just have so much more things to worry about. i feel bad for people who wont be able to play though

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
What if the Sony executives are the Illuminate?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Apple Craft posted:

What if the Sony executives are the Illuminate?

ive read their leaked emails theyre not that smart

johnny park
Sep 15, 2009

Sony made a minor PR misstep in not having a prepared answer to "what happens to people in those regions" so naturally the rational and measured response is to have a collective psychotic break

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

capital G hard R Gamers doin' what they do best, destroying perfectly good things because they wet their pants over not being able to read.

good luck to arrowhead in their next endeavour

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hd2 is going to be fine

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Just had a mission where I domed myself with eruptor shrapnel from absurd distance like 4 times. I'm joining the GameRs, going to war against arrowhead until they patch this

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

turn off the TV posted:

erata prime is going to finish tonight some time so you're in luck

:toot:

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

ShadowMar posted:

For all that Gamers like to talk about "bootlickers", this performative pants-making GBS threads that the Gaming community likes to do, including the psychotic harassment of employees (especially the female ones for some reason) is what is really distasteful. It's never truly about anti-consumer practices, because if it were those same people would not be out there buying from these companies over and over again. Something something CoDboycott.jpg

They are not banning anyone in the regions that do not support PSN. Sony's own advice is "just pick another country lmao" and Arrowhead have already said they won't stop paying customers playing in that circumstance. It's a bullshit scare that people repeat as part of the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Much like how having a PSN account means that Sony will steal your bank details from Steam and sell them to the Canadian cheese Mafia or whatever.

Because I'm sure there are people who hear about this drama and think "oh that's rough they changed the rules after launch"... This requirement was on the store page day one, and it was literally the first menu we all interacted with when we launched the game. The requirement for a PSN account was always there, and never a secret. While varying degrees of irritation are valid, the vast vast majority of the piss-weeping outrage we are seeing is people being angry because their parasocial overlords told them to be so.

As to the de-listings, I'm guessing they're seeing suspicious spikes in requests for refunds and have noticed that A) people in regions unaffected are refunding because they are bored and want their money back after 200 hours, and B) the caveats about the requirement were always there when people bought the game.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

They are not banning anyone in the regions that do not support PSN. Sony's own advice is "just pick another country lmao"

Then they shouldn't require a psn account in the first place.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

For all that Gamers like to talk about "bootlickers", this performative pants-making GBS threads that the Gaming community likes to do, including the psychotic harassment of employees (especially the female ones for some reason) is what is really distasteful. It's never truly about anti-consumer practices, because if it were those same people would not be out there buying from these companies over and over again. Something something CoDboycott.jpg

They are not banning anyone in the regions that do not support PSN. Sony's own advice is "just pick another country lmao" and Arrowhead have already said they won't stop paying customers playing in that circumstance. It's a bullshit scare that people repeat as part of the wailing and gnashing of teeth. Much like how having a PSN account means that Sony will steal your bank details from Steam and sell them to the Canadian cheese Mafia or whatever.

Because I'm sure there are people who hear about this drama and think "oh that's rough they changed the rules after launch"... This requirement was on the store page day one, and it was literally the first menu we all interacted with when we launched the game. The requirement for a PSN account was always there, and never a secret. While varying degrees of irritation are valid, the vast vast majority of the piss-weeping outrage we are seeing is people being angry because their parasocial overlords told them to be so.

As to the de-listings, I'm guessing they're seeing suspicious spikes in requests for refunds and have noticed that A) people in regions unaffected are refunding because they are bored and want their money back after 200 hours, and B) the caveats about the requirement were always there when people bought the game.

thank you for proving my point

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
can we please ban discussion of this PSN poo poo jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
why? it's very relevant to the game