Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Funky See Funky Do posted:

But also don't be so hard headed as to just assume they're all wrong and that the conclusion you don't like can't possibly be true: That Trump is more popular in America than Biden.
Yeah I don't want to be a 2012 Republican caught of guard because of 'skewed polls'. He can absolutely win. I'm just not going to sweat the polls too much right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

why is the supposed patriot wearing a face diaper?

This was during the pandemic iirc and presumably after the cult leader made his triumphant, liberal-fear inducing appearance wearing a mask in the white house

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

This one goes a little beyond a stutter and edges it's way into a sound one would make when a fart wasn't just a fart.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Frank Frank posted:

He literally shits his pants and people are over the moon unironically wearing “I <3 my big poop daddy” t-shirts. What else could he possibly do?!? Wrestle the gator? Eat his own head on live television?

If people are talking about loving polls for days itt instead of that, it's not enough

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005
Some pics I hadn't seen.

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/trump-supporters-wearing-diapers-real-men-wear-diapers

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

PhazonLink posted:

this reminds me of helping an old person set up their new tablet(its a samsung, so a bunch of bloatware/shoveware) up, including log in stuff, mostly the default games. a lot of (old people) user names with MAGA poo poo. like dude, your playing a skinner box game. no one loving cares. also the games are poo poo, like crhist I knew mobile platform was a wasteland of match3 or autochess gachas, but i didnt know there was a level below that.

Wanna see something even more depressing?

I believe these poo poo games have a bigger share of the market now because of overseas markets.

it goes deeper....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNjI03CGkb4

They have really got the psychological aspect of separating folks from the money down in a pretty significant way

Accipiter
Jan 24, 2004

SINATRA.

Except...

quote:

Speaking to Time’s Eric Cortellessa about the 20 states that have enacted partial or total abortion bans, Trump said the federal government should not get involved, even if said states decide to take the Orwellian step of monitoring pregnancies in order to ensure no one runs afoul of the law and prosecute those who do. “I think they might do that,” Trump said of the Handmaid’s Tale–esque prospect. Asked if he was comfortable with states criminally charging women who obtain abortions after the law allows, he very notably did not say “no” but rather: “It’s irrelevant whether I’m comfortable or not. It’s totally irrelevant, because the states are going to make those decisions.” (As Time notes, President Joe Biden “has said he would fight state antiabortion measures in court and with regulation.”)

I NEVER SAID WHAT I TOTALLY ACTUALLY DID SAY.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/tru...tting-abortions

https://time.com/6972021/donald-trump-2024-election-interview/

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Renreeja posted:

Has there been any good answers on why polling has been so broken in repubs favor these days besides: "only idiots are reachable for polling"? Genuinely curious cause the upsets have stacked up so much in blues favor Id figure the dorky datamen would be pulling the machines apart to take a look

Since I am kind of a numbers guy who has studied polling, let me attempt a serious answer.

Polling depends on the concept of a" random sample ". Once you have that, the mathematics of averages and standard deviations and so on are well-known and well understood.

If you have a sample but it isn't random, you need to correct for that. But what if you don't know and can't easily measure what that bias is? What if that bias is bigger than the difference you are trying to measure?

In political polling, the difference between 49% and 51% can be extremely important. But the biases you need to correct for in your sample could be large compared to that. If you can't correct for the biases very accurately and also increase sample sizes significantly - then your results don't mean much.

And I think those corrections are being made based on assumptions by the pollsters, not by measuring the bias (which has its own problems. Meaning the results are very unreliable. I don't think anyone has put in the time and money to address this.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Anyone posting Rasmussen polls should be given a lengthy probe. They're full of poo poo, they've always been full of poo poo, and it just causes a thread derail every time one is posted.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I've been ignoring the polls and been concentrating on the special elections and the primaries where Democrats keep overperforming and Republicans keep underperforming as my metric on how things are going.

Also one of the funniest things to me when it comes to Republicans thinking everyone is just like them is when I work in carpentry and install windows and doors and they just assume that because I work in construction I must somehow be a chud like them even though every guy I work with is all pretty far left.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

I'm just guessing. She might've stuffed the dog as a trophy to commemerate her hunt. :shrug:

Go gently caress yourself you racist piece of poo poo

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

How the gently caress are you still posting here after this

3 DONG HORSE posted:

It's pretty hosed up that the North Koreans would probably eat the dog after killing it as to not waste the meat. She probably tossed the carcass in the trash somewhere.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Finally, something other than poll chat

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

MrQwerty posted:

Finally, something other than poll chat

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Rust Martialis posted:

Everyone is free to discuss this avatar at length (and girth) also the letter is a W

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
vonDickzinShortz

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

MrQwerty posted:

Everyone is free to discuss this avatar at length (and girth) also the letter is a W

Do you have a distant german cousin that is named "Mr Qwertz"?

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

At a private donor event, Trump likens the Biden administration to the 'Gestapo'

quote:

The former president added that he doesn’t let his legal troubles bother him too much.

“If you care too much, you tend to choke. And in a way, I don’t care. It’s just you know, life is life,” he said.

He did admit, however, that he was surprised when he was indicted.

“Once I got indicted, I said, Holy s---. I just got indicted. Me. I got indicted,” Trump said.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

I really don’t care too much about these things I angrily scream about every single day.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
“Actually everyone loved ripping away Roe”, he said, convincing exactly one person (your favourite president).

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"My legal problems don't keep me up at night, or in the court room"

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

3:29am lmao

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BigglesSWE posted:

“Actually everyone loved ripping away Roe”, he said, convincing exactly one person (your favourite president).

"I got rid of it! I washed my hands of it!" He thinks it's a can't-miss solution. Doesn't give the slightest poo poo about abortion, just cares that they can't criticize HIM for it because hey go talk to the states! It's their problem now!

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I wonder if his constant blerbing about post-birth abortions stems from someone telling him about SIDS and his crusted old brain somehow clocked that as something the dems want to do.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

BigglesSWE posted:

I wonder if his constant blerbing about post-birth abortions stems from someone telling him about SIDS and his crusted old brain somehow clocked that as something the dems want to do.

It's a thing he can say that his supporters cheer/shout about.

Word diarrhea comes out of mouth -> supporters cheer. That's literally all the 'thought' process that needs to go into it. None of it has to mean anything and he'll never be held accountable for anything he says by the people that support him.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

It's nice to see the Penguin actually cares about the well-being of his hired goons

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
I cannot decide which of them looks more ridiculous in that photo, but fortunately this is America and I don’t have to pick just one.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dementropy posted:

I've seen this quite a bit. I recently left a place where, for 10 years, we dealt with business owners and successful finance peeps. I cannot tell you how many of those fell in line with what you just described - from the long diatribes on how Biden is seemingly the only person to gently caress things up for the world to how COVID isn't real (despite how successful many of them were by closing loan deals during the pandemic to keep businesses afloat).

Not to mention the short-term memory of how Trump hosed over many businesses and entire industries (hi, trucking and logistics).

But, you know, loud, old, white dude with an R next to his name - gotta be great for the nation, right?

Edit: And these are the same people who are - to a degree - going all in on cannabusinesses, while upholding the "moral Christian ethics" of the agriculture sector.

I'll stop now. It just baffles me and they all need to go away or be forever ignored because they don't see their own gaps in logic.

See and here's the part that fucks me up about "Smart Trump Supporters" (visually invoking "Smart Beavis/Smart Butt-head" here)

What if they ARE operating on a higher level of irony than I am? What if they know full well that Trump is a cruel narcissistic moron, but they just don't care—not because he hurts the right people or validates their racism or whatever, but because having a cruel narcissistic moron as President statistically tends to help the country for totally perverse but predictable reasons? Like, they know he's an idiot who has no idea how the economy works, but hey! That's all baked in! What actually happens is that business loves an R, low taxes do stimulate spending, sure trickle-down economics doesn't work per se but at least to a first-order approximation it sure looks like it does in the sense that the stock market goes up and gas prices go down and everybody thinks their lives are great, and isn't that what really matters? What good is having strong strategic economic numbers and record low unemployment when everyone THINKS the economy is in the shitter and they're all teetering precariously at the brink of ruin? Sure, having a loose cannon in the White House destabilizes global peace and threatens to send us to war if he assassinates the wrong Iranian army general or whatever, but hey, other countries will think twice before provoking us if we have a madman at the wheel! I remember when right-wing humor bloggers did a whole bit called "NUKE THE MOON" which was meant to spread the meme that Bush being a crazy cowboy was great because it meant nobody would gently caress with us. Nuke the moon just to show what loving maniacs Americans are! Then NOBODY would put a foot out of line! If we'll nuke the moon for no reason imagine what we'll do if you pull another 9/11!!

The guys in the mechanic's shops and the HVAC technicians and the finance bros, all they see is economic indicators, some shallow, some deep, but ultimately just "how's my portfolio doing" and "how's business". We can shout till we're blue in the face about how all that business and all that economic strength is built on exploitation and lies and is bound to come crashing down, but that's of no consequence to someone who's just doing their job and focused on the bottom line. Everyday joes whether blue or white collar can't afford to be idealistic or to think long-term. And while plenty for sure are absolutely delusional merchandise-buying MAGA fanboys, it feels like plenty of those bumpers stickers are getting sold to people who are 100% clear-eyed that they're backing a monster, but in their minds it's fine because in the modern world you have to back one monster or another, you might as well not fool yourself that you can live with clean hands, and just pick the one that means more lifted F-150s rolling in the shop door. Virtue signalling via Trump flags as a form of cold calculating marketing expense.

On some level, the fact that Trump is a cruel narcissistic moron only matters if you care about how a President acts on a personal level, and these people simply don't. WE do, here in our echo chamber where we laugh at his idiocy or express shocked horror at his many many crimes and human rights violations that he enables on a daily basis just as a part of his breakfast routine. But we're playing checkers if we do that; we're trying to get people all fired up about things that they simply don't give a poo poo about. In their chess-playing world the only things they care about are the aftereffects, the downstream byproducts. We might be trying to draw attention to how awful the sausage-making process is, but they all hold stock in the sausage company and the value keeps going up

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tim Pool really self branded with a freaking winter hat.

tek79
Jun 16, 2008

Horseshoe theory is correct, but whoever coined that term didn't quite predict how it looked in real life - that the far-right side of the horseshoe, when wrapped all the way around, would end up looking like a penis with a nail through it that had been hammered in by old white people.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Data Graham posted:

See and here's the part that fucks me up about "Smart Trump Supporters" (visually invoking "Smart Beavis/Smart Butt-head" here)

What if they ARE operating on a higher level of irony than I am? What if they know full well that Trump is a cruel narcissistic moron, but they just don't care—not because he hurts the right people or validates their racism or whatever, but because having a cruel narcissistic moron as President statistically tends to help the country for totally perverse but predictable reasons? Like, they know he's an idiot who has no idea how the economy works, but hey! That's all baked in! What actually happens is that business loves an R, low taxes do stimulate spending, sure trickle-down economics doesn't work per se but at least to a first-order approximation it sure looks like it does in the sense that the stock market goes up and gas prices go down and everybody thinks their lives are great, and isn't that what really matters? What good is having strong strategic economic numbers and record low unemployment when everyone THINKS the economy is in the shitter and they're all teetering precariously at the brink of ruin? Sure, having a loose cannon in the White House destabilizes global peace and threatens to send us to war if he assassinates the wrong Iranian army general or whatever, but hey, other countries will think twice before provoking us if we have a madman at the wheel! I remember when right-wing humor bloggers did a whole bit called "NUKE THE MOON" which was meant to spread the meme that Bush being a crazy cowboy was great because it meant nobody would gently caress with us. Nuke the moon just to show what loving maniacs Americans are! Then NOBODY would put a foot out of line! If we'll nuke the moon for no reason imagine what we'll do if you pull another 9/11!!

The guys in the mechanic's shops and the HVAC technicians and the finance bros, all they see is economic indicators, some shallow, some deep, but ultimately just "how's my portfolio doing" and "how's business". We can shout till we're blue in the face about how all that business and all that economic strength is built on exploitation and lies and is bound to come crashing down, but that's of no consequence to someone who's just doing their job and focused on the bottom line. Everyday joes whether blue or white collar can't afford to be idealistic or to think long-term. And while plenty for sure are absolutely delusional merchandise-buying MAGA fanboys, it feels like plenty of those bumpers stickers are getting sold to people who are 100% clear-eyed that they're backing a monster, but in their minds it's fine because in the modern world you have to back one monster or another, you might as well not fool yourself that you can live with clean hands, and just pick the one that means more lifted F-150s rolling in the shop door. Virtue signalling via Trump flags as a form of cold calculating marketing expense.

On some level, the fact that Trump is a cruel narcissistic moron only matters if you care about how a President acts on a personal level, and these people simply don't. WE do, here in our echo chamber where we laugh at his idiocy or express shocked horror at his many many crimes and human rights violations that he enables on a daily basis just as a part of his breakfast routine. But we're playing checkers if we do that; we're trying to get people all fired up about things that they simply don't give a poo poo about. In their chess-playing world the only things they care about are the aftereffects, the downstream byproducts. We might be trying to draw attention to how awful the sausage-making process is, but they all hold stock in the sausage company and the value keeps going up

neato

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

redshirt posted:

Tim Pool really self branded with a freaking winter hat.

I wonder: would it be more or less malding if he wore a hat that was more appropriate for a suit just for that event?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Fuckin lmao

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

So when that guy ripped his hat off and he freaked out cause it was his disguise and he didn't people to recognize him.... ok tim

pro starcraft loser
Jan 23, 2006

Stand back, this could get messy.

Beanie
Bottom button buttoned

Such class. Trump must look at pictures like this and know these are the people in his circle now.

EDIT - Holy poo poo, he's my age. HAHAHAHAHAHA

Renreeja
Oct 11, 2007

the tim pool picture lmao, just trying to imagine going into a social situation or event wearing a suit and a beanie

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Is Stone more a Batman villain or Dick Tracey villain? In this essay.....

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Renreeja posted:

the tim pool picture lmao, just trying to imagine going into a social situation or event wearing a suit and a beanie

You're that embarrassed by your hairline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Stone’s giant baggy pants are really drawing my eye