Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Baron von Eevl posted:

The boring answer is Empire, both because it's the answer to nearly every "name a movie without x" challenges and because it's incredibly boring.

Just cause Andy Warhol called it a movie doesn’t mean it really is a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

YggdrasilTM posted:

Sure. So is dealing with death. Must every art that is honest to humanity had a death?
Eating is a common human experience. No art that is honest about humanity is complete without a meal?
Working is a common human experience, so any art that is not dealing with working is not honest about humanity, I suppose.
And having kids! The only arts true about humanity must have parenthood!
Growing up? Bildungsroman or bust, I suppose...

This I why Tampopo is the greatest movie. It has all of these human experiences and more.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Listening to the Icelandic presidential debates. Thankfully there's only 12 candidates out of the 62 who tried to run but 50 couldn't get enough signatures. At least 8 were very stupid people who were trying to sign as supporters of other candidates but accidentally ran for president). Only three or four have any chance of winning.

It's awkward but I'm glad that the Icelandic election cycle is only a few months and not several years like in the USA.

Also thankfully our president is basically a find and replace from the Danish king (because the people who wrote the constitution in 1944 were very lazy) and thus a largely powerless figure whose main job is giving out medals, hosting parties, cutting ribbons, and shaking hands with foreign dignitaries. Basically superfluous but somehow less inbred than the Danish equivalent.

Didn't the crown prince of Denmark marry a woman from Tasmania?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They've been allowed to marry outside the family for a generation or two now.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Andy Warhol’s Frankenstein, now there’s a movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FreudianSlippers posted:

They've been allowed to marry outside the family for a generation or two now.

Yes, but what about the Danish royals?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ouch røåsted

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

FreudianSlippers posted:

As he said. No labour.

see also: Clerks

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Azhais posted:

see also: Clerks

Dante works, and there's eating, and sex.

Jay and Silent Bob are on a constant hustle.

Edit: Like seriously, what the gently caress, tell me you've never worked retail without telling me you've never worked retail if you think there's no labor involved in Clerks.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 4, 2024

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

YggdrasilTM posted:

Sure. So is dealing with death. Must every art that is honest to humanity had a death?
Eating is a common human experience. No art that is honest about humanity is complete without a meal?
Working is a common human experience, so any art that is not dealing with working is not honest about humanity, I suppose.
And having kids! The only arts true about humanity must have parenthood!
Growing up? Bildungsroman or bust, I suppose...

You started with a fair point but this is where you lost me dawg

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Gripweed posted:

I mean it's images in temporal sequence, that's a movie right?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
It's not even that I think every movie needs to deal with sex, I just don't like that a very key component of human existence is being left out of cinema more and more.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

You could have a movie about sex without a sex scene. Like Last Vegas

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
*starts to write that movies can feature sex without being sexy but then Gaspar Noe starts breathing down my neck*

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Just watched Old. Mark me down as a permanent member of the Shyamalan fan club. It truly baffles me why people think of him as a bad director. I've seen almost all his movies now, and the only ones that I'd count as truly "bad" are the ones where he's had the most studio interference (TLA and After Earth).
Outside of that, I'd place him in the same category as Wes Anderson - people boil them down to off-kilter dialogue and zany directing so heavily that there's rarely discussion of the intense empathy and craft involved in the narratives. Difference is, Anderson's aesthetic is easy to latch onto while Shyamalan's is less obvious and intentionally offputting.
Old is probably the strongest argument for this; people get so hung up on the zany premise and stilted dialogue of the first act, so there's relatively little discussion of the real meat of the film. (I personally could gush about how he manages to do things like the bone-breaking scene without it being mocking.)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Gripweed posted:

I’m trying to think of a movie featuring no scenes of anyone eating or laboring and nothing springs to mind.
Maybe Leviathan (2012) or Minding the Gap (2018)?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Maybe Leviathan (2012) or Minding the Gap (2018)?

Leviathan is literally all about people working an incredibly grueling job (unless that’s the joke)

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Leviathan is literally all about people working an incredibly grueling job (unless that’s the joke)
But do you see the people?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

TychoCelchuuu posted:

But do you see the people?

Yes, very frequently. There’s like a three minute unbroken take of one of them passing out in the break room.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Air Skwirl posted:

It's not even that I think every movie needs to deal with sex, I just don't like that a very key component of human existence is being left out of cinema more and more.

"Left out of cinema" by only appearing in 50% of movies.

I don't really care, but it seems to me like what's been cut is the sort of incidental sex scene or nudity that they'd throw into a movie that isn't really about that. Things like the random topless lady running out of a bathroom in die hard.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
There goes the Michael Douglas genre.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Baron von Eevl posted:

"Left out of cinema" by only appearing in 50% of movies.

I don't really care, but it seems to me like what's been cut is the sort of incidental sex scene or nudity that they'd throw into a movie that isn't really about that. Things like the random topless lady running out of a bathroom in die hard.

One of the themes of die hard was corporate excess. The lady was topless and doing cocaine with another employee during a holiday party. Not totally incidental.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You know some pervy rear end studio head (likely Joel silver lol) wanted some tits so he demanded it.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I feel like making the caveat “eating or performing labor” makes the category overly broad, like if you asked for a movie that “didn’t have anyone in a car or wearing clothes” the former is probably extremely easy (like any period piece) while the latter is insane mode

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Like Mitch Hedberg, all "Have you ever tried sugar ... or PCP?"

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gripweed posted:

I’m trying to think of a movie featuring no scenes of anyone eating or laboring and nothing springs to mind.

Circle?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Gripweed posted:

Cube

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

But characters do discuss their work frequently.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I actually watched Cube this morning and the Cube remake just now. Cube holds up! The remake is terrible.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I remember liking Cube and Cube Zero a lot, less so the second one.

First one was just the right mix of clever gore and not-over-explaining-the-stupid-thing, and the third did explain more, but in a way that asked more questions and was charming in what it did reveal. Second one felt like too much CGI and the high concept felt kind of masterbatory.

Haven't revisited any of em' in two decades though. Can't imagine the remake could improve on the original, where the lo-finess really helped sell it.

Watching a 24-hour movie marathon today by Justin Decloux of the Important Cinema podcast. Incredible picks so far, recommend tuning in. Going til 11am EST tomorrow. https://twitch.tv/importantcinemaclub

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish you separated food and work because I can think of films that don’t have eating.

The problem is you can’t not discuss labor because money is everything. “How does this person afford to live” is an important question.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
https://x.com/WillSloanEsq/status/1786825517208846767

This is a really good prompt, curious if there are more good examples than those offered here?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

This is a really good prompt, curious if there are more good examples than those offered here?

Wasn’t Rio Bravo basically a diss response to High Noon?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Chef

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Ya'll missed out if you didn't catch a bit of that movie marathon.

Watched... a poo poo ton of movies.

Standouts:

Cats on Park Avenue: https://letterboxd.com/film/cats-on-park-avenue

Japanese film about cats. One rides a skateboard in the first five minutes and it only gets better from there. The amount of live action cat footage in this is insane. A couple girls in a dance troupe decide to do a Cats musical at a theater frequented by five stray cats and their broods. Multiple song and dance numbers, all wonderful, and a batshit finale that had me with my mouth agape.

Colma: The Musical: https://letterboxd.com/film/colma-the-musical/

Low-budget coming of age story of three people growing up in Colma, a suburb of San Francisco. Low budget ($15,000!) and the songs were recorded in a garage, but it works. Music is incredibly of-its-time, Green Day's Dookie is a clear inspiration, but the lyrics and situation are clever and charming as all get out.

Writer H. P. Mendoza has gone on to do a bunch of other solid movies, fun seeing where he got his start.

Roberto Carlos em Ritmo de Aventura: https://letterboxd.com/film/roberto-carlos-em-ritmo-de-aventura/

Borderline not a movie, but rather a documentary of what being a superstar musician in Brazil allowed. Think those Beatles/Elvis flicks, but with a razor thin plot that's meta (in a good way!) around bad guys trying to kill Roberto. Get to watch Roberto run around like a Looney Tune running away from machine gun fire into Christ the Redeemer, fly a helicopter WAY TOO CLOSE TO THE GROUND through a downtown, sing a lot of his songs surrounded by a costumed band and babes, and eventually detour into loving space.

Ends in a happy go lucky tank battle. Pure delight. Roberto Carlos living the dream.

]
Confessions of a Thug: (On Youtube! Watch it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HOl70nca1c)
Another low budget one, this is a "so bad it's good" affair. A rap musical vanity project of the Writer/Director/Star, guy plays a gangster who's trying to make it in the world. I hate to compare "bad" movies anything to the room, but this is the most I've seen a protagonist deal with "everyone has betrayed me, I'm fed up with the warld" since it. Music is good for the most part, and when it's not it's funny as hell.

One scene during the hero's fall from grace has him rapping a duet with a spirit of himself that's wearing a fancy hat. Movie rules.

Honorable mentions:
You Can Succeed, Too: https://letterboxd.com/film/you-can-succeed-too/

Japanese flick from the 60's shot like a MGM musical from decades prior. Zany workplace comedy with wonderful large wide-shot dance set pieces that all slap.

Midnight Ballad for Ghost Theater: https://letterboxd.com/film/midnight-ballad-for-ghost-theater/

2006 South Korean horror comedy (almost entirely the later) that's held up by the choreography and cinematography that does a lot with a little. Young woman gets a job at a haunted theater as she tries to find out what happened to her grandmother who said she would be there. Songs are kind of 'eh', but there's enough style to make up for that.

Fantastica: https://letterboxd.com/film/fantastica/

Canadian eco-terrorism musical starring a married Quebec singer-songwriting couple, Lewis Furey and Carole Laure. Lewis is channeling Paul Williams and Leo Sayer hard, but the music here rules. Of these, easily the one I'd listen to the most out of the film itself. One of the many jams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opXEr8rDwEk

Also Little Shop of Horrors, and A Goofy Movie, but ya'll know those and know they're great.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 5, 2024

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Citizen Kane's the big one I can think of.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Wasn’t Rio Bravo basically a diss response to High Noon?

Yep, mentioned in there. Quite a few of these I was unaware of.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Videodrome was basically Cronenberg's venting about having to deal with TV execs.

(e): Oh, and if we're just counting characters, the useless mayor and his yes man sidekick from Godzilla '98 are both named and modelled after Siskel and Ebert.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 19:09 on May 5, 2024

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I can definitely think of more diss characters than diss movies, like the cokehead movie producer in True Romance who’s supposed to be Joel Silver (after Tony Scott fought with him nonstop during the making of The Last Boy Scout)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Videodrome was basically Cronenberg's venting about having to deal with TV execs.

Doesn't VIDEODROME straight up refer to CityTV?