Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

All the sex scenes are in TV shows now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

This is particularly funny in big Indian productions where the protagonists are SO IN LOVE, a love that burns unfathomably hot and passionately, yet if they kiss at all it's like a gentle peck.

Those same movies will just have old people getting punched in the face and surprising amounts of blood.

I do not exaggerate when I say even showing kissing is censored in some countries.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

kissing is yucky

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pirate Jet posted:

Because sex is part of life, any art that's honest about humanity is going to include it

YggdrasilTM posted:

This is, honestly, false. I have nothing against sex scenes in movies, but you are making an idiotic generalization. You can 100% have art that's "honest about humanity" including no sex at all.

I suspect it'd be more accurate to say that art (for adults) that can't include sex is dishonest to the human experience

...though I suspect that the logic could be tighter.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
We were promised full frontal, penis and bush

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

YggdrasilTM posted:

This is, honestly, false. I have nothing against sex scenes in movies, but you are making an idiotic generalization. You can 100% have art that's "honest about humanity" including no sex at all.

This might be true for your life, but sex is a pretty common human experience

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Most people have probably done more sex than killing people.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I think I remember a Ramona Quimby book where she demanded to know why, if going to the bathroom is so important that they showed all the kids where the bathroom is on the first day, they don't mention in the story when Joe the Construction Worker went to the bathroom?

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Movies just need brutal violence, elaborate excuses for brutal violence, and smug quips about the brutal violence.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I think I remember a Ramona Quimby book where she demanded to know why, if going to the bathroom is so important that they showed all the kids where the bathroom is on the first day, they don't mention in the story when Joe the Construction Worker went to the bathroom?

This is the dumbest possible comparison anyone could have made, well done.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Failed Imagineer posted:

*listens to kids playing in their room*

Up to a point!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Dunno if anyone will find this interesting, but here are some of the most common types of censorship in films based on countries that are most censorship-heavy -

Bahrain - Nude art, Nudity

India - Cursing, Certain Dismemberment, Nudity, Drugs, Smoking, Alcohol. NOTE: If the smoking, drugs, and alcohol are too present in the film to cut out, then the film will receive and on-screen anti-drug/alcohol/smoking warning for the duration of the content.

Japan - Sex scenes

Kuwait - Kissing, Scantily clad women (revealing dresses, bikinis, etc)

Malaysia - Certain cursing, Middle Finger gestures,

Qatar - Kissing, Nude Art, Middle Finger gestures, Sex, Intimate Scenes (too much cuddling),

Philippines - Male genitals

Saudi Arabia - Kissing, Nudity, Sex

Singapore - Religious cursing

Vietnam - Corpses, Excessive Bodily Fluids (blood/vomiting)

Now you may ask "What does this censorship look like?"

It varies depending on the situation. It may just be an on-screen blur. This is most common when the scene is important and the censored item is not central to the scene - for example, for India censorship - if there is the bottle of alcohol in the background, the label might get blurred. Other times, the scene is cut entirely. This is often for nude/sex scenes or scenes that are non-essential and do not hurt the understanding of the film. Depending on the shot, there may be zoom-ins. This is during times when the "offending item" is to the edge of the screen. Perhaps zooming the shot in 10% and adjusting it to the side will allow the item to fall off the edge.

Most common censorship countries are Saudi Arabia, Singapore, Kuwait, Malaysia, Qatar, and India.

I know China is also fairly censorship heavy, but I don't do work for them. I believe most film censorship for China ends up happening in-country.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Failed Imagineer posted:

Sure. So is dealing with death. Must every art that is honest to humanity had a death?
Eating is a common human experience. No art that is honest about humanity is complete without a meal?
Working is a common human experience, so any art that is not dealing with working is not honest about humanity, I suppose.
And having kids! The only arts true about humanity must have parenthood!
Growing up? Bildungsroman or bust, I suppose...

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

Sure. So is dealing with death. Must every art that is honest to humanity had a death?
Eating is a common human experience. No art that is honest about humanity is complete without a meal?
Working is a common human experience, so any art that is not dealing with working is not honest about humanity, I suppose.
And having kids! The only arts true about humanity must have parenthood!
Growing up? Bildungsroman or bust, I suppose...

I’m gonna give a “yes” to at least the first three

At the very least all of the great works of art are about sex, death, or both.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

All of the great works of art are about space wars.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gripweed posted:

Why do we need scenes at all? Don’t even make movies anymore just go straight to making the YouTube videos explaining the movies you were going to make. Cut out the middle man and stop wasting everyone’s time.

There's a scene in This is Not a Film in which the director is talking about a movie he wanted to make, here's what the opening scene would be, here's how it would be shot, etc. He manages to make it pretty compelling and I'd love to hear him go through the whole thing.

Though of course after walking through a bit of it he suddenly stops and says: If you could tell a film, why make a film?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I’m trying to think of a movie featuring no scenes of anyone eating or laboring and nothing springs to mind.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I’m gonna give a “yes” to at least the first three

At the very least all of the great works of art are about sex, death, or both.

and they're literally all about work

edit:

Gripweed posted:

I’m trying to think of a movie featuring no scenes of anyone eating or laboring and nothing springs to mind.

right

Steen71
Apr 10, 2017

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

As someone who often deals with censorship demands from various countries - sexual stuff gets censored by governments all the time. Violence does not.

In my country (Denmark) it is basically the opposite - except we don't censor stuff, we just rate the films. For example, all the American Pie films, except one, are rated A (the equivalent of the American G). The exception is American Pie: Reunion which is rated 7 (PG-ish). Why? Someone gets into a fight and is punched in the face.

Also, if a studio doesn't want to pay for the rating, they can just release it unrated, in which case the maximum rating of 15 is automatically applied. This carries no penalties in the form of cinemas not being willing to show the film or shops refusing to carry physical media.

Mordiceius posted:

India - Cursing, Certain Dismemberment, Nudity, Drugs, Smoking, Alcohol. NOTE: If the smoking, drugs, and alcohol are too present in the film to cut out, then the film will receive and on-screen anti-drug/alcohol/smoking warning for the duration of the content.

It also seems that they have to make it absolutely clear that this guy doesn't actually kick the poo poo out of a bull (hence the little "C.G.I." logo in the corner):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dFeczHMf58

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gripweed posted:

Blue?

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

https://twitter.com/TheCinesthetic/status/1785776011914727793

They gonna find me in the theater like that one guy at the Love Lies Bleeding screening.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Stealth reboot of Exit to Eden (1994)

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What does it mean to be found in the theater like that one guy at the Love Lies Bleeding screening?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

What does it mean to be found in the theater like that one guy at the Love Lies Bleeding screening?

I'm guessing they were caught whackin' off in the film shed.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Gripweed posted:

Drunk, masturbating, falling asleep.

One hell of a way to watch a movie, but better suited to home cinema!

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

People labor in that movie

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Listening to the Icelandic presidential debates. Thankfully there's only 12 candidates out of the 62 who tried to run but 50 couldn't get enough signatures. At least 8 were very stupid people who were trying to sign as supporters of other candidates but accidentally ran for president). Only three or four have any chance of winning.

It's awkward but I'm glad that the Icelandic election cycle is only a few months and not several years like in the USA.

Also thankfully our president is basically a find and replace from the Danish king (because the people who wrote the constitution in 1944 were very lazy) and thus a largely powerless figure whose main job is giving out medals, hosting parties, cutting ribbons, and shaking hands with foreign dignitaries. Basically superfluous but somehow less inbred than the Danish equivalent.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

People labor in that movie

Alright then, Blue Is the Warmest Color!

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Gripweed posted:

It was Kwaste, he just stood up and started singing

https://youtu.be/BTY5-bse_Fw?si=z0rVZ1Tm38_FaivJ

It took a dozen ushers to shush him

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

Brad Pitt would be poo poo out of luck

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Grendels Dad posted:

Alright then, Blue Is the Warmest Color!

There’s lots of eating in that movie and a whole plot line about the main girl getting a job as a teacher.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Debbie Does Dallas.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Gripweed posted:

There’s lots of eating in that movie

Heh

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

therattle posted:

Debbie Does Dallas.

Gripweed posted:

There’s lots of eating in that movie

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gripweed posted:

Maybe Saw

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Doesn't that show cops doing cop stuff?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah but I don’t remember anyone eating in the film

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Gripweed posted:

Doesn't that show cops doing cop stuff?

As he said. No labour.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Sawing your leg off seems like labor.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I only read and cared about the eating part

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The boring answer is Empire, both because it's the answer to nearly every "name a movie without x" challenges and because it's incredibly boring.