Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

CatstropheWaitress posted:

I remember liking it as a teen. But I'm also a sucker for "gang of interesting characters ineptly try to do a thing", and the movie isn't exactly subtle. (Lady Killers, that is).

Watched Postal. Horrendous. Too stupid to be offensive, but not enough wit to get away with any of it. Did get to see Dave Foley full frontal though.

Dreadnaught fuckin' rules. Drags a little in the middle, but it's a hong-kong action flick by the guy who would go on to choreograph the Matrix, Kill Bill, etc. There's some early scenes that are just people dancing in dragon costumes and it's some of the most engrossing footage I've seen all year.

Also watched Harry Knuckles and the Pearl Necklace, a film made by the guy that did Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter. Indie Canadian flick, so you know they got some public funds to make it. Harry Knuckles is a detective who's trying to find a missing necklace, and teams up with Santos to find it.

There's a lot of, admittedly, shoddy kung-fun in this one, but it's so earnest about it's inspirations it's hard to not enjoy.

Soundtrack is also bitchin'. Was hooting at this scene of two wonderful thrift store ne'er-do-well's stealing a woman's purse set to a metal song blaring PURSE SNATCHER! (sound on for the clip below).

https://i.imgur.com/YugDJ6h.mp4

Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter is ultimately a better film, but this was a pretty fun watch too. Provided one's into low-budget things like this.

Finally, Iron Claw, which has wildly perfect casting. Efron just nails that thousand yard stare the whole movie through, and it's kind of awesome to see a whole movie about sad beefcakes.

That all sounds cool! In general digging into creative gems from years back is one of the best things about being into movies. I did like JC Vampire Hunter, that everybody gets laid song rules. Along these lines there are these fun low budget Argentine horror comedies Plaga Zombie, enjoyed the first two back in the day. Just recently remembered it was a thing and watched the third one with some friends, and there's a fourth American one inspired by the originals. And the original filmmakers have made a bunch of other fun quirky looking stuff too.

And I'm always interested in say what Astron-6 are up to. That one guy from the group just kickstarted a new Deathstalker movie.

And on Woo-Ping: hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Vargo posted:

lol did Dickeye eat a perma in my time away from CineD?

I don’t think it’s technically a perma, but for all intents and purposes it is. Someone on the mod team doesn’t like her and will drop the banhammer on sight if she re-regs.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
it was a perma-ban, on the alt account BENGHAZI 2

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Wait, BENGHAZI 2 was Dickeye?! I'm learning so much today!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think she got perma'd for mostly d&d poo poo but it was basically her continuing to be dickeye free dickeye

She was blameless.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gripweed posted:

She was blameless.

Not entirely but didn’t deserve the bans. She sure provided some drama in these parts.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Dickeye needed to settle down but bans were undeserved...

Free Dickeye is what I'm saying.

Let her talk poo poo again.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Appreciate the new Furiosa movie that gives us a mad max who looks like Stacy Keach.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Heavy Metal posted:

I did like JC Vampire Hunter, that everybody gets laid song rules.

It does and it's been stuck in my head periodically for decades, but it has always bugged me like a nose wart that it (like Lewis Black) apparently thinks "smote" is a present tense verb

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ruddiger posted:

Appreciate the new Furiosa movie that gives us a mad max who looks like Stacy Keach.

I was thinking Sebastian Stan.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://x.com/HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN/status/1794373554555027782

Imagine Hideo Kojima saying you look like Solid Snake lmao

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Kojima's unabashed vocal admiration for things like Mad Max is heart warming. Has he been interviewed as to why he doesn't just partner with a George Miller... or George Miller to make a movie already? Definitely as enough clout and relationships to make that happen.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I don’t think it’s technically a perma, but for all intents and purposes it is. Someone on the mod team doesn’t like her and will drop the banhammer on sight if she re-regs.

Which is dumb & childish, normal probes & bans are fine for "controversial" posters but permas should be reserved only for actual heinous stuff imo

But whatchagonnado, some people like to have a grudge :shrug:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I think it’s fine some people get perma’d for being huge pricks.

Not meaning dickeye tho

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Kojima's unabashed vocal admiration for things like Mad Max is heart warming. Has he been interviewed as to why he doesn't just partner with a George Miller... or George Miller to make a movie already? Definitely as enough clout and relationships to make that happen.

Guess what

George Miller is in Death Stranding 2!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Also I think Kojima has said that while he loves movies, he's also 60 goddamn years old and has a whole rear end gaming studio to run, so he doesn't really have the time (or feel it's responsible) to go running off learning how to direct in an entirely different medium, even if he does have someone like George Miller looking over his shoulder

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I wonder how Oscar Isaac feels about that tweet.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pirate Jet posted:

I wonder how Oscar Isaac feels about that tweet.

He left the project already, so probably not much

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

drat I didn’t even see that. Another Vogt-Roberts vaporware.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

oh no lmao

idk if any amount of probes or requests would curb Dickeye’s intense main character syndrome tbh

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kojima makes video games, not movies.

Woodenlung
Dec 10, 2013

Calculating Infinity
Hell yeah baby

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I'm 200% ready for Ari Aster to gently caress my poo poo up for a fourth consecutive time

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
https://twitter.com/mrgracemugabe/status/601957978686824448?t=HZpCsKGEOd_xR8tvXH4lig&s=19

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
When I was a kid I loved the Bud Spenser and Terence Hill films. I looked up which were best regarded and found one on Amazon, Watch Pit, We’re Mad, and made my son watch with me despite his complaints. We only got as far as the first big scene which is a really fun demolition derby before we had to stop for other reasons.

At the time I had no idea they were Italian.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Still coming off the high of watching Furiosa by finally watching Madame Web on Netflix and hoping that its equally as compelling and thoughtfully made

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

I wish Madame Web took place in 1999 instead of 2003 so they could imply that she was co-workers with Frank Pierce, the depressed NYC paramedic protagonist of Bringing Out The Dead, and that the two films were happening simultaneously

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Wolfsheim posted:

I wish Madame Web took place in 1999 instead of 2003 so they could imply that she was co-workers with Frank Pierce, the depressed NYC paramedic protagonist of Bringing Out The Dead, and that the two films were happening simultaneously

Why does it take place in 2003?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Peccadillo posted:

So that it can take place when Peter Parker was born.

2003 is wrong for any of the existing cinematic Peter Parkers, so :shrug:

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

The Peccadillo posted:

Because the back half of it is a sharp critique of the invasion of Iraq

(because Spider-Man is a teenager in 2020 in the MCU)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

Weird

Does this have to do with "the Snap". I have seen like two of these Marvels

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 26, 2024