Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

canada is like the cw of nations

lol like the channel 35 of countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Stink Billyums posted:

also war of the worlds the tv series, and dan aykroyd's psi factor

Man I loved the war of the worlds tv show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0X1JLIDJXA

Theme song was bad rear end too

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

canada is like the cw of nations

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!

sure okay posted:

This is very reductive of my point, but I want to give you the benefit of the doubt that its not intentional. This, despite the fact that you "hate to defend" the movie despite doing it promptly, and then calling me mad for some reason

To be perfectly clear - and I will admit to being bad at watching movies especially ones that suck so sorry if I missed something here - but Amy Adams doomed Jeremy Renner to a lifetime of misery with future knowledge that their child's life will end in tragedy, and also that she lied about it in the present and then tells him she knew all along after the deed is done. She does so because she, like the audience is expected to, accepts you so-called "fictional conceit" - The idea that the future is firm, and for the sake ourselves and the aliens we must dance this tragic dance to its exact tune.

This moment is beautiful because it encapsulates the hazards and the tragedy of time travel in a deeply human way (I call knowing the future time travel because the knowledge is what travels through time). I also hate it, because I reject the very idea that a smart, well-rounded character would wholly accept not only cementing her own suffering, but someone she's supposed to "love."

In an effort to work backwards from this so-called fictional conceit, the creators forgot to make their protagonist be likeable, reasonable, or believable. Oops!

This is a bizarre misreading of the end of the film, which is literally a 5-minute montage of nothing but joyful moments with her future husband and kid and the lines "If you could see your whole life from start to finish, would you change things?" and (to Renner) "I forgot how good it felt to be held by you." You don't have to read between the lines here — she's opting to get with Renner and have her daughter because their happiness is worth the later pain, not because it's the only possible way to help the aliens or whatever. It's sappy and hackneyed and not hard to understand. The story is way more nuanced

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Blue Raider posted:

I hate Star Wars

they made 3 good ones and now we have to hear about it for the rest of our god drat lives.

Stink Billyums posted:

also war of the worlds the tv series, and dan aykroyd's psi factor

I loved the psi factor as a kid, not the greatest show, but not bad either. had some kind of mini mytharc story in one of the seasons, neat stuff.

Cubone posted:

wife that

that's the plan!

she also likes watching columbo when she's over, good tastes.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Blue Raider posted:

I hate Star Wars

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
has anyone seen the early adam sandler film "going overboard" it has a 1.8 rating on imdb so im probably gonna watch it

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

dreezy posted:

it has a 1.8 rating on imdb so im probably gonna watch it

lol

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

dreezy posted:

has anyone seen the early adam sandler film "going overboard" it has a 1.8 rating on imdb so im probably gonna watch it

billy bob is in it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://twitter.com/TheAlazul/status/1786686179825381739?t=4tsVWRhpyJ8N_sBDrJbCNQ&s=19

Hey remember the awesome bar fight from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

Because Star Wars really wants you to remember.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Force ninjas. Fantastic.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Looks boring as hell, but at least they didn't shoot it like poo poo, so you can actually see the decent stunt work and choreography.

Glad action movies have started to do that again after years of shaky cam/fast cut poo poo.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I looked over the imdb page and three characters have one syllable, three letter names. After Rey/Fin/Poe I thought they would try harder.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Lister posted:

I looked over the imdb page and three characters have one syllable, three letter names. After Rey/Fin/Poe I thought they would try harder.
total rip-off of Invader Zim

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Lister posted:

I dunno, one syllable three letter names are pretty awesome

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://x.com/JustinTrudeau/status/1786724043908940015

Cubone
May 26, 2011

58 seconds is way too long for whatever that is. I made it like 3

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/TheAlazul/status/1786686179825381739?t=4tsVWRhpyJ8N_sBDrJbCNQ&s=19

Hey remember the awesome bar fight from Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

Because Star Wars really wants you to remember.

Does this motherfucker's phone have motion smoothing on its camera or does this look like an episode of The Young and the Restless circa 1992 on purpose?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Kingo Ligma posted:

Does this motherfucker's phone have motion smoothing on its camera or does this look like an episode of The Young and the Restless circa 1992 on purpose?

The footage looks a bit bright and washed out, but yeah I wouldn't judge any of that sort of stuff based off someone filming a screen with some random phone. It always makes stuff look poo poo, and it can mess with motion a bit with cinema being 24 frames and phones filming at, um whatever now days.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast

hell yeah, take that joe!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

mystes posted:

I didn't even think about a prequel lol

We need one or two seasons to establish the maze runner's background as a person destined to run in mazes, and we also need to explore the gradual construction of the maze as people wonder if such a maze could ever be run.

The season finale ends with the maze runner finally entering the maze, then the show will be cancelled.

Pac and Cheese
Oct 29, 2010

gotta walk fast
watched the new neo noir show 'sugar' cause i heard it had some unprecendented gamechanging twist in the latest ep and it turns out that private detective colin ferrel was an alien the whole time. that's the twist. don't get me wrong there's some sporadic good writing and well acted scenes but don't let anybody con you into watching it

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Mega64 posted:

We need one or two seasons to establish the maze runner's background as a person destined to run in mazes, and we also need to explore the gradual construction of the maze as people wonder if such a maze could ever be run.

The season finale ends with the maze runner finally entering the maze, then the show will be cancelled.

"I grew up helping my parents test the mazes they made out of their corn fields. They called me...the Maize Runner."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’d watch a political drama about the construction of a giant maze for child murder.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
I'd watch a political comedy about the construction of a giant maze for child murder.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
so what are you, kid? some kind of hard-to-get-out-of-place moving-fast-guy?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

The beautiful princess May Zrunner has been kidnapped by terrorists from America's most deadly and dangerous foe: Iran. Detective Cobra "Rambo" Cobretti is the only one with the skills - or the stones - to get her back.

produced by amazon, underwritten by the department of homeland security

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Still pissed we didn't get a Cobra sequel. That was a multi movie vehicle Sly!

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Cobra 2: Sicilian Slice
It basically the 3rd equalizer movie

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
The entirety of Cobra 3 is Sly going to an all-you-can-eat pizza buffet. The suspense is whether his scissors will last for the entire visit.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

The lady making the acolyte seems to be having fun doing homages and saying the thing is like Star Wars meets the godfather meets dunston checks in meets digimon etc and so on. And the best part is you know it’s all gonna come together great, and the discussion over it will be great

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

I wish star wars would finally just die already

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Luckily Maze Runner kid’s parents built the maze and this discovery means he’s the chosen one who everyone says must run the maze

henkman
Oct 8, 2008

This was plan B after they told him dressing as Lando was a bad idea

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Politicians always make May the 4th jokes and never ever seem to realize that Star Wars thinks they're the enemy. Everyone always wants to see themselves as the Rebels fighting against the big bad Empire, so it never crosses their minds that they're part of the Empire.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
people outside of canada may not be aware that trudeau is an enormous theatre nerd who would currently be putting on a high school production of pirates of penzance were his father's political party not so lacking in marketable candidates

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Arc Hammer posted:

Politicians always make May the 4th jokes and never ever seem to realize that Star Wars thinks they're the enemy. Everyone always wants to see themselves as the Rebels fighting against the big bad Empire, so it never crosses their minds that they're part of the Empire.

*me, a politician evaluating a list of evils the empire is shown doing in andor*
Capricious and inequitably enforced justice system
Forced prison labor
Corporate enrichment through government kingmaking
Radical wealth inequality
Stymied political system which has no hope of solving the populace’s problems
Extraction of natural resources from less powerful states

*looks at list for a long, long, long time*

“These campus protests have gone too far”

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

*watching darth vader's lust for power turn him into a disfigured, soulless, half-man*

"this is about venezuela"

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.
its so stupid, its all so loving stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Cassian of Imola posted:

This is a bizarre misreading of the end of the film, which is literally a 5-minute montage of nothing but joyful moments with her future husband and kid and the lines "If you could see your whole life from start to finish, would you change things?" and (to Renner) "I forgot how good it felt to be held by you." You don't have to read between the lines here — she's opting to get with Renner and have her daughter because their happiness is worth the later pain, not because it's the only possible way to help the aliens or whatever. It's sappy and hackneyed and not hard to understand. The story is way more nuanced

There you go with the weasel language again. "Bizarre misreading." "Not hard to understand." Just trying to rap with you man.

"Have the tragedy kid or dont have any kids" is a false choice. Have a different kid two weeks after youre supposed to have the first. They dont exist yet its okay. Have a kid thats not anchored by tragedy.

I dont find considering the idea very bizarre!

Edit: I guess this may make Adams' character seem callous within the confines of the movie. She does have many premonitions and they feel real. But this is a smart character that instantly accepts the idea that just because they can exist when moving forward in time, they absolutely will. This is never challenged. And the notion of changing the present when you get a peak at the future opens up ideas about what kind of happiness or suffering you invite by not changing fate or instead actively trying to.

...which is a line of questioning you invite when you do time travel, and why its really hard to pull off. It invites these traps that make your characters seem incredibly callous or myopic in order to avoid having endless circular conversations about paradoxes.

Double edit: And I give lots of movies a bye with this. Bill and Ted obviously arent equipped to consider all of this and its not the tone of the movie anyway. They can ask their future selves to do them a solid and have it materialize in front of them that is cool as hell.

But this is a "the military flies in the foremost experts to deal with an anomaly" kind of movie filled with serious people and so-called experts. The moment premonitions come into play and start getting verified I guess I expected everyone to handle it a little better. A lot better, actually.

sure okay fucked around with this message at 16:38 on May 5, 2024