Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Best From game imo, bummer that nothing has matched how good the sword combat feels in this game. The aggressive pacing and mechanics was way more my vibe than how avoidant their other games can be in comparison.

It's one of those games where surviving a duel by the skin of your teeth having pulled every dirty trick you can think of, or completely trouncing your opponent who can't even touch you are both incredibly satisfying and cathartic.

That said, clowning on the young lord from the very start of the game multiple times till his final defeat is a very special kind of heaven :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Harold Halibut this adventure game is a hidden gem. It was so good, I loved the characters, environments, soundtrack, and art style. Its made entirely in stop motion, every character and object rendered in the game is real, and it just looks amazing. If you have Game Pass, absolutely do not miss this game. Its a 10 - 12 hour game that is well paced.

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

I said come in! posted:

Harold Halibut this adventure game is a hidden gem. It was so good, I loved the characters, environments, soundtrack, and art style. Its made entirely in stop motion, every character and object rendered in the game is real, and it just looks amazing. If you have Game Pass, absolutely do not miss this game. Its a 10 - 12 hour game that is well paced.

Completely agree. Without spoiling anything, I also appreciated how "normal" everything was, with major plot points consistently subverting expectations.

That said, you must go into it expecting very low interactivity to enjoy it.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
Just finished Pentiment and really loved it. Felt a small dip in interest after starting Act 3 but pushed through and felt it ultimately stuck the landing and was a great and very unique experience. Perfect game for the Steamdeck, too. I think my biggest accomplishment was getting the blacksmith to marry and have kids? Was reading on reddit that there's a ton of failure states to it that I completely side stepped by never speaking negatively about Andreas' marriage to him. Though maybe it was as simple as just encouraging him to go find his true love.

I could see myself doing another playthrough in a year or two, feel like it's best that I forget as many details about the story and town, though I really hope I remember to enable and max out big head mode on a second go around.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Pentiment is so loving good, I played through it multiple times and the different things that can crop up in the final mural continually surprised me.

:lol:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Replayed Sin & Punishment for the thousandth time. Rare example of a perfect video game; the gameplay is incredibly solid, the levels are constantly varied and packed full of little nuances and bits of interactivity, the graphics look great and are visually clear even at the busiest times, the soundtrack is full of good songs, and even the story is perfectly suited to a short score attack game, with its media res narrative that makes more sense every time you watch it. Everything comes together into a single package so perfectly, I genuinely can’t think of a single thing that would improve it. It’s just a densely packed hour of flawless design.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Snake Maze posted:

Replayed Sin & Punishment for the thousandth time. Rare example of a perfect video game; the gameplay is incredibly solid, the levels are constantly varied and packed full of little nuances and bits of interactivity, the graphics look great and are visually clear even at the busiest times, the soundtrack is full of good songs, and even the story is perfectly suited to a short score attack game, with its media res narrative that makes more sense every time you watch it. Everything comes together into a single package so perfectly, I genuinely can’t think of a single thing that would improve it. It’s just a densely packed hour of flawless design.

The old earth will die soon, killed by the very people it fed.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

Jerusalem posted:

Pentiment is so loving good, I played through it multiple times and the different things that can crop up in the final mural continually surprised me.

:lol:
Aw man, that's way better than the one I got where he just got married lol

I think the only mural portion I was genuinely bummed about was Vacslav being burned at the stake, really enjoyed his conversation in Act 3.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i beat a couple short and sweet lil games recently

children of the sun - good, and very cool, but ultimately i think the incredible premise is a little bit wasted on what ends up being a lot of trial and error gameplay. i think the game could have done many more cool things with it. and the story was, idk, what the gently caress happened? who cares? zzz

it's good but the kind of game that's like a 7/10 but with a 12/10 premise. zooming around as a sniper's bullet is, in fact, cooler than hell.

yellow taxi goes vroom - very good. i really liked the way the taxi controlled and the way you're constantly trying to exploit the geometry of the level to make these massive jumps into a brake backflip to try and reach lots of seemingly unreachable areas. i thought the levels were generally really fun and the dev clearly knows how to pack a million collectibles into every corner of the map, with every ramp or stairs or hill leading to something. the levels were also really cool - the city levels in particular were a standout for me.

furi - really good up until the very last twist which kinda makes the plot boring in retrospect. i wish they would have never explained anything and just kept it weird and vague and abstract. we don't need to know.

the gameplay is super fun though, it's a bullet hell/character action/boss rush game and imo the game really nails the flavour and design of the bosses. there's a couple of weird things like the i-frames of the dash not being instant but that just means you need to play a bit more deliberately. a lot of the bosses are hard but you get several retries per boss phase, and you restock retries when you beat a phase, so i managed to first try a few of them once i got the mechanics under my belt. some of the other ones took a lot more tries, including the very last boss who is ridiculous. nice game. fun way to spend a lazy holiday afternoon.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Eiyuden Chronicle you eventually get a character that lets you control the battle music during combat.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I just 100% Gone Home. Funnily, I finish 8 of the 10 achievements almost a decade ago when it come out, but something came up (and playing this game fell to the waist-side). Now I finally manage to finish the speedrunning and developer commentary achievement.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Just beat Withering Rooms, which has a thread here. Really good and weird survival horror rpg with light roguelite elements and a fascinating vibe/story. Deserves more attention for sure.

On The Internet
Jun 27, 2023

Played through Botany Manor today and it was a joy. Quick game that I finished in a couple sessions on the same day. Fun puzzles, nothing too hard that I needed to use the internet to help solve tho. Bright and crisp graphics and a nice story that doesn't try to overshadow the gameplay. Played it on Gamepass and definitely recommend to anyone that likes Puzzle games or plants.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I just beat Hollow Knight after bouncing off it years ago, getting 87% completion. I'm really glad I stuck with it! I love a good metroidvania but for whatever reason the combat didn't click with me before, probably because I didn't play Ducktales as a kid so the unlimited power provided by pogoing hadn't yet been revealed to me.

I'll probably try to find the secret ending that the achievements hint at and maybe finish the Grimm Troupe stuff but it sounds like there's a ton of stuff in the game that's way above my skill level. At the very least I'm ready for Silksong, which is coming any day now... right?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Party Boat posted:

I just beat Hollow Knight after bouncing off it years ago, getting 87% completion. I'm really glad I stuck with it! I love a good metroidvania but for whatever reason the combat didn't click with me before, probably because I didn't play Ducktales as a kid so the unlimited power provided by pogoing hadn't yet been revealed to me.

I'll probably try to find the secret ending that the achievements hint at and maybe finish the Grimm Troupe stuff but it sounds like there's a ton of stuff in the game that's way above my skill level. At the very least I'm ready for Silksong, which is coming any day now... right?

They've been waiting for you to finish it, we've all been VERY patient with you! :gonk:

But yeah, game's great, can't wait for Silksong! No. Seriously. I can't wait :argh:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I haven't finished it yet despite putting 35 hours into it way back in 2017 :eyepop:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I just beat Yakuza zero and I'm on to Yakuza kiwami. I just finished the date scenario with Rina. I love how wholesome kiryu is. Also anyone who says he never had sex clearly never saw the end of these dates.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Those ladies just rolled around on top of a bed in their underwear while Kiryu sat stoically on the side of the bed, slightly confused but not wanting to make a scene.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Honestly if Sega came out and said that yeah, that was the case, I would totally buy it

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Those ladies just rolled around on top of a bed in their underwear while Kiryu sat stoically on the side of the bed, slightly confused but not wanting to make a scene.

they hosed j-ru

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Kiryu gave them a sincere speech about how nothing is more important than being true to yourself

if you know what I mean

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

Kiryu gave them a sincere speech about how nothing is more important than being true to yourself

if you know what I mean

with his penis.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Flair posted:

waist-side

:raise:

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

The best instance is in Ishin when you win the strip rock paper scissors minigame and it cuts to an FMV of the girl being all shy and disrobing, immediately followed by “What? You’re leaving?!”

“Yeah. I just wanted to play rock paper scissors.”

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i just beat the case of the golden idol. newsflash!!! it's really good. i thought it was gonna be a series of unrelated murders, not a series of related mysteries centred on a few characters which gradually built up a really cool and interesting story.

i especially liked the bits where characters in the game are lying and you, as the observer, need to deduce the lies. from when you (don't read these spoilers if you're ever going to play the game, you will regret it) find the letter saying edmund got killed in the cabin, and you know he didn't but you go huh, weird, and put it to one side until it suddenly blasts its way into your consciousness as four different pennies drop in your brain and you realise how obvious it was.

the only thing i didn't like, aside from some weird language and syntax/grammar issues with the solutions, was the last case where peter won a cannon in a bet, and put it in his house lol, and used it to blast that guy. maybe his wife told him that guy was coming but it still stretched credulity, although i appreciated the dramatic irony of this loser idiot killing him. that was the only thing i didn't buy in the whole game.

probably going to pick up the DLCs which i assume are also really good.

also it looks loving amazing on the OLED deck.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
If you liked Golden Idol absolutely get both DLCs and play them in their release order.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i did, and i think the DLCs are still on sale so will buy them now :cheers:

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I loved golden idol but I was far too dumb to even attempt the final few chapters. I also managed to miss the alluded penny drop moment somehow. Still, a lot of quality there to be sure but man does it go hard.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
The DLC cases were a little too clever with some of the solutions but were still good fun. Can't wait for the sequel!

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
I have never written down idiom before, and I thought that was what the saying was referring to. TIL it is “wayside”

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

I just beat Hades, I suppose? I played it back when it hit 1.0 and absolutely loved it, got successful runs a number of times but eventually moved on to other games.
With Hades II launching I figured I should go back to it and just play a run or two for old time's sake, had a first run that petered out in the second biome as I got my feel for the game back, so to speak, then promptly took a 1-heat spear run through to the end which triggered the last chunk of dialogue and the credits. Turns out I'd only been one more victory away from the end credits the entire time. Welp!

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Sardonik posted:

I loved golden idol but I was far too dumb to even attempt the final few chapters. I also managed to miss the alluded penny drop moment somehow. Still, a lot of quality there to be sure but man does it go hard.

i got stumped on one thing in the entire game and had to look it up the key in the poison case and i never would have gotten it in a hundred thousand years lmao.

the other difficult stuff i would just kind of circle like a vulture, gradually picking off the easy words and sometimes needing some trial and error, or trying to work out by the grammar what kind of things would fit. would the penny ever have dropped if not for the fact that in the last case, the words 'lost' and 'years' appear next to each other in the thinking panel, as blue words, with very few other blue words in that case? no way.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I beat Moonlight Pulse the other day. It's the new game from developer of Vision Soft Reset, which itself was a metroidvania with a cool twist.

In Moonlight Pulse you play the role of Curatives, agents living inside a large organism that try to eradicate parasites. Apart from the unusual setting, it has nice art, cool music, and the gameplay involves switching between several agents who each have different set of abilities, and they support each other when close to death.
It took me ~6 hours to finish.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mode 7 posted:

I just beat Hades, I suppose? I played it back when it hit 1.0 and absolutely loved it, got successful runs a number of times but eventually moved on to other games.

How many total victories do you have? There may actually be quite a bit more game ahead of you.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Tortolia posted:

How many total victories do you have? There may actually be quite a bit more game ahead of you.

10-ish. Enough to trigger Persephone’s return to the Halls and the end credits which is a “clear” as far I’m concerned

I know there’s more post-credits stuff but I’ll probably just look it up on YouTube, too much other, newer stuff to play to want to grind out Olympian relationships.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Mode 7 posted:

With Hades II launching I figured I should go back to it and just play a run or two for old time's sake, had a first run that petered out in the second biome as I got my feel for the game back, so to speak, then promptly took a 1-heat spear run through to the end which triggered the last chunk of dialogue and the credits. Turns out I'd only been one more victory away from the end credits the entire time. Welp!

I knew how many successful runs triggered the credits, so I really prepped for my last run, got a great set of boons, was ready to kick rear end and then Hades is just like "gently caress it just go", and for the first time I was like "...really? No fight? But my boons :("

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Mode 7 posted:

10-ish. Enough to trigger Persephone’s return to the Halls and the end credits which is a “clear” as far I’m concerned

I know there’s more post-credits stuff but I’ll probably just look it up on YouTube, too much other, newer stuff to play to want to grind out Olympian relationships.

Entirely fair, just wanted to note that it's one of those games where there's a whole lot more than it might initially seem, since the Heat system means you get to continually keep ramping up the runs as you work on the rest of the content.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Getting the end credits is where I called it for Hades as well. It's astonishing how much voiced content there is in that game; I don't think I ever encountered a repeated interaction and I know for a fact there's still a lot of relationship and ancillary dialogue I'll never see.

I just completed The Talos Principle II. It’s really good! Very solid puzzles and enjoyable new mechanics, though only a few puzzles that really properly stumped me. I wouldn’t rate it quite as highly as the first one, though; I guess partly because inevitably a sequel reusing puzzle elements form the first will not feel as groundbreaking, but I also felt the philosophical elements were lacking, or at least not what I was hoping for. I missed the ongoing dialogue that would catch me out when I contradicted something I’d said earlier, and I didn’t find a lot of the premise engaging. A society of sapient robots I can accept, but the extended bellyaching about “will we grow uncontrollably and repeat the mistakes of the past” seemed ridiculous coming from people who don’t need material resources and who don’t reproduce without deliberate effort.

Overall I suppose I was hoping for a different and more in-depth look at “how should a society govern itself”, rather than what felt like a simple growth/stagnation binary.

I also felt like some of the new puzzle elements weren’t really used to their fullest extent or used together; there was a bit too much reliance on the classic lasers/targets mechanic.

But these are really just nitpicks. It’s very good and a satisfying sequel to the original! I recommend it, but with a bit less fervour than I would the first one.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Well, I beat Sand Land, which is more than I can say for FFVII Rebirth. I think I underestimated how much I wanted to play a game where you get to drive around in vehicles designed by Akira Toriyama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nesamdoom
Apr 15, 2018

nesaM kiled Masen

I beat Goat Simulator 3 a couple of weeks ago with my kid. It was a lot of fun and so silly. You can troll super hard in co-op.
I beat New Vegas again recently and am doing DLC on a punch only character. It's crazy how you can do pretty much anything you want and still enjoy the game.