Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Weirdly the only movie of his I really really like is Doctor Sleep directors cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I am a sucker for Ghost movies so Hill House was very much my jam.

I am so goddamn desensitized to horror nothing affects me, but the bent neck lady reveal legit gave me nightmares and I was so happy to wake up with my heart beating.

Bly had a better overall story but Hill House remains my favorite of his series and it's not even close.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I thought Hill House was good but could have been shortened by 2 episodes.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
i'm more hit than miss with flanagan anyway but man i loved doctor sleep. I completely understand why plenty of people didn't but for my money he threaded the impossible needle he was given to adapt that book AND make it simpatico with Kubrick's Shining.

Nikumatic fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 3, 2024

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Medullah posted:

I am a sucker for Ghost movies so Hill House was very much my jam.

I am so goddamn desensitized to horror nothing affects me, but the bent neck lady reveal legit gave me nightmares and I was so happy to wake up with my heart beating.

Bly had a better overall story but Hill House remains my favorite of his series and it's not even close.

That episode was devastating.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
IMO it's telling that every time Mike Flanagan's TV shows get brought up people dont mention The Midnight Club.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Open Source Idiom posted:

IMO it's telling that every time Mike Flanagan's TV shows get brought up people dont mention The Midnight Club.

I enjoyed it but it wasn't really "horror" for me.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Do we even have a general Alien thread anymore? Was talking about Prometheus + Covenant with some friends and it struck me how an aspect of those two movies I never see discussed is how it presents having faith as the single worst possible choice you can make with your life.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sci fi wifi

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Almost time to get a cd one up n running again tho

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Kokkuri-san is peak cartoonish Kudo in the best way. Mister Late Night with the Devil should've just punched the demons in the face.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
alien covenant and prometheus are good

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
david is based

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
OK I caught up on Senritsu. Snake Woman is a pretty standard entry in the series. Has some good Kudo moments, has some good Ichikawa moments.

Cursed Red Woman on the other hand...

The fucker did it again lol. Pure self indulgent Koji.

A third Neo has hit the tower...

Fun time! I think some of the mainline episodes (cough, cough, 4) are better but it was nice to see Kudeo and Ichikawa running around in like, more recent times lol. I'm not sure if this was suppose to be a finale to the second series or exist in its own continuity, could be either way. It does feel like the stuff with Kudo is commenting on the Rest short? But its nice to see my girl Ichikawa drop the the assistant from her title.

Whole thing felt almost like a mirror image to Occult Forest in some ways. Anyway I am glad the lesbian couple got reunited even if it resulted in the end of the world.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

alien covenant and prometheus are good

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

david is based

if I was ik of this thread id make this the title and OP. It's important

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Snooze Cruise posted:

OK I caught up on Senritsu. Snake Woman is a pretty standard entry in the series. Has some good Kudo moments, has some good Ichikawa moments.

Cursed Red Woman on the other hand...

The fucker did it again lol. Pure self indulgent Koji.

I love how obvious the cuts are at times, and he does it over and over. And them rrcruiting the spirit to aid them was such a good twist

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Snooze Cruise posted:

A third Neo has hit the tower...
[/spoiler]

well i've been sitting on the back half of those, but i guess now i can't keep doing that

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Watching Poltergeist for the first time and I'm just imagining Kudo punching the children and then the tv and then the parents and then threatening the poltergeist to come out because it's a coward and he's going to hit it with a baseball bat. Problem solved.
That movie would've been 60 minutes long.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Who is this kudo fella

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

CelticPredator posted:

Who is this kudo fella

The director of the Senritsu Kaiki File Kowasugi File series, and humanity’s strongest hero.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I thought that was Gusti?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's truly hilarious and crazy to me that the parents in Poltergeist still haven't moved out by the last 20 minutes. Go stay at a hotel or with your fam until you can move into a new place! And then she's just like "yeah I know we just escaped the hell dimension that still resides in our home but I gotta take a bath, you kids just stay here unaccompanied and answer the phone."

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
The scariest part of Poltergeist was putting on "Poltergeist", seeing a 2020s kid playing a stupid probably fake videogame on a tablet and just being filled with confusion and fear.
Eventually I found the original.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CelticPredator posted:

I thought that was Gusti?

Sending a formal letter to Koji Shiraishi to suggest a crossover as we speak.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

The scariest part of Poltergeist was putting on "Poltergeist", seeing a 2020s kid playing a stupid probably fake videogame on a tablet and just being filled with confusion and fear.
Eventually I found the original.

If enough people forget the Poltergeist remake exists it will be as if it was never made.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I still get bummed out about how lovely the koji discord was the last time I popped in there

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Now that ive seen the film I'm attributing every cool thing in Poltergeist to Tobe Hooper and every lame thing to Steven Spielberg. I have an inside line on the production of the film and it's clearly true.
Also I assume there were at least 3 sequels.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

mikeycp posted:

I still get bummed out about how lovely the koji discord was the last time I popped in there

Yeah it seems pretty bad, I just have it in a folder and glance at it once a month to see if there is any news.

CelticPredator posted:

Who is this kudo fella

A man who should treat his coworkers with more kindness!!

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Now that ive seen the film I'm attributing every cool thing in Poltergeist to Tobe Hooper and every lame thing to Steven Spielberg. I have an inside line on the production of the film and it's clearly true.
Also I assume there were at least 3 sequels.

They made two sequels and remade it a little while back. The second one is alright

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Snooze Cruise posted:

A man who should treat his coworkers with more kindness!!
Excuse me but I'm pretty sure he authorized bonuses after like the fourth or fifth time his employees risked their souls being tortured into eternity by ancient evil gods. What are you gonna do, ask him to stop gambling on horses?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The third poltergeist has some amazing fx gags involving mirrors and takes place in one of the coolest buildings in Chicago.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Haven't seen it in forever but I remember Nancy Allen being annoyingly obstinate about ghosts existing for no reason

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2 posted:

So sometime this week The Coffee Table finally went up for purchase on Amazon VOD, didn't notice until today and checked it out. Saw a friend on social compare it to When Evil Lurks, and it's not anywhere near that relentless or bloody. But drat does it get dark, and drat does it linger in that darkness for over half the film successfully. Kinda don't even know how to begin broaching talking about it outside of that or spoilers

I needed to check the Amazon page again after I woke up from a nap to make sure I wasn't still playing tricks on myself

The whole plot of The Coffee Table can be distilled down to "couple on verge of divorce gets further unraveled as husband spends final slow-burn hour excruciatingly trying not to confess he tripped and brutally beheaded his newborn on the coffee table he insisted be bought and contemplates suicide frequently", even by pessimists' definition/description of "not everything is horror" (which I disagree with), I definitely disagree with Horror being ranked lower than Comedy (let alone ranked third!) on the list of genres this particularly could be considered! Especially with the poster outright calling it a cruel horror film!!

loving Amazon, man

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Doltos posted:

Haven't seen it in forever but I remember Nancy Allen being annoyingly obstinate about ghosts existing for no reason
I did think it was funny that Craig T Nelson was skeptical of Zelda at first.
"I've seen proof positive of ghosts, but like...psychics?? Psh. 🙄"
Also it made me think of Paranormal Activity and laugh cuz these days the hollow Micahs and Katies of the world can't do much other than be like "don't worry babe I'm gonna Google it" when clearly dangerous demons manifest themselves

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Phy posted:

Kinda feel that way about the original Poe tbh

"And Darkness and Decay and the Red Death held illimitable dominion over all" gives me chills just typing it

You should check out the John Langan short story Technicolor. It’s a really fun little riff on Masque that I think about surprisingly often.

The only way I know to get it is in his collection, The Wide carnivorous Sky though. For what it’s worth, the rest of the book is some A+ short horror fiction.

huh
Jan 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Snooze Cruise posted:

with the SOTAR translation
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Usi2glLDyw

i need to catch up myself, haven't watch the lizard one yet

e: holy poo poo i just checked the discord and saw people talking about a manga version lol
https://www.instagram.com/p/C5pi6wKSvTu/?img_index=1

This building was used in some other Japanese zombie movie I watched semi-recently which I can't really remember much of. Was it part of this series? Or just a coincidence?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Flubby posted:

If enough people forget the Poltergeist remake exists it will be as if it was never made.

I've managed to sit through it twice because it was so forgettable I forgot I watched it until I watched enough for the deja vu to kick in.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

huh posted:

This building was used in some other Japanese zombie movie I watched semi-recently which I can't really remember much of. Was it part of this series? Or just a coincidence?

Its the one cut building

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
david's story must be finished... let ridley scott direct another alien movie cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Wait a minute...they used real dead bodies in Poltergeist?! What the gently caress?? This whole movie is about the dangers of desecrating the dead!!
Must've been John Landis secretly co-directing this poo poo. Is this one of those movies where the cast was supposedly cursed afterwards cuz if so that makes a lot of sense.