Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

In case anyone cares, localthunk just today called this out specifically as being counter to his design philosophy: https://reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1czo9g0/guidelines_for_joker_design/

This was fun to see on that post.

No downvotes. Folks are so positive about this game everywhere I've seen talking about it, it's cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
Straights are already super viable and don’t need anything else. Just need a few Saturn cards and you are good.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
My fav way to play this game is to go +Hand Size and stack Straight Jokers. It almost always leaves you with something to play, and against suit Bosses you can just play flushes or something. I uh also installed that mod that makes a 'Straight' into a 'Gay' so sometimes my game's way funnier than usual.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

CJacobs posted:

This was fun to see on that post.

No downvotes. Folks are so positive about this game everywhere I've seen talking about it, it's cool.

:yeah:

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I'd really only take four fingers if I picked up seance for the resell value out of a buffoon pack and hadn't had to sell it for an interest breakpoint yet - and even then, only if I was already going for flushes. I'd also take it if it's really early in the game and I'm playing short deck. it's kinda just a bad joker that lets you crutch your way through like ante 2-6 at the very latest and eventually becomes a 1 joker slot do nothing once you fix your deck or realize that 1 spectral card a blind isn't worth 2 joker slots, especially when you realize you have to sell more than half of them, unless you'd like to risk or outright bricking your build. the payoff can be incredibly high (build your own red sealed polychrome glass king) but you really have to milk it out of like 5 antes to get it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
One of the neat things about Balatro's design is that the special edition jokers mean that even dumb poo poo like Four Fingers can occasionally be worth it if you're getting something else out of it. Four Fingers will pretty much never ever be optimal but add foil or polychrome and it might be good enough.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

quote:

5. Jokers shouldn’t always be the ‘right choice’ on an average run. As I mentioned before, this is a game designed around meaningful A B choices and if Jokers choices are 100% lopsided that interesting decision goes away

lol well, you can't win 'em all, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
If jokers shouldn't always be an automatic pick then how do you explain Gros Michel??