Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

redshirt posted:

It's really remarkable how different we used to view the environment (and some still do). As utterly disposable, to do whatever you want with, without any limitation. More so, it's our RIGHT to do so, God given.

My family had this camp on a small pond in Maine and I discovered dozens and dozens of very old shoe soles, glass bottles, and cans buried right beside the shore. There was probably more trash I didn't find. And it amazed me that 150 years prior, some folks saw this beautiful lakeshore and thought: Good place to dump all our trash.

Boggles my mind, but it's clearly not out of the norm.

In this way though, things are getting better.

The way I had this explained to me is that this type of trash handling worked OK in pre-industrial times when trash was mostly organic and in small quantities, stuff like iron and nails would not be thrown away but reused, same for glass if possible.

But then we industrialized, and then we got plastic and all kinds of products of materials not before used and in quantities not seen before, which made them more disposable. But we still treated trash like a preindustrial peasant might have. It really took a long time for that to catch up to the realities of the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

The way I had this explained to me is that this type of trash handling worked OK in pre-industrial times when trash was mostly organic and in small quantities, stuff like iron and nails would not be thrown away but reused, same for glass if possible.

But then we industrialized, and then we got plastic and all kinds of products of materials not before used and in quantities not seen before, which made them more disposable. But we still treated trash like a preindustrial peasant might have. It really took a long time for that to catch up to the realities of the situation.

Great way to look at it. I was thinking about the general concept of litter, and wondering if, for example, Roman cities had litter, did English medieval towns have litter, etc. Litter in many ways is a luxury, so in other times I can imagine not much was actually thrown away if it could be avoided.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

redshirt posted:

Great way to look at it. I was thinking about the general concept of litter, and wondering if, for example, Roman cities had litter, did English medieval towns have litter, etc. Litter in many ways is a luxury, so in other times I can imagine not much was actually thrown away if it could be avoided.

iirc there's a trash mountain of amphorae that still exists in rome

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

Good example. I assume they were tossed because they were broken and no way to repair.

And of course there's always tons of organic "trash" - poo poo and shells and such.

"Middens"

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

BigBadSteve posted:

Rottentomatoes.com, sometime in the last few weeks, abolished a lot of user accounts with no notice whatever. I'm not sure whether they cancelled just spamgourmet.com type shell email accounts (which stop dickheads like them spamming us) or abolished all user accounts.

So every user, including me, who bothered to review any movie on the site, has had our reviews deleted, with no chance to save them. loving SCUM.

Also, the whole point of the site (IMO) was to display aggregate ratings of professional reviewers from magazine and newspaper etc. websites, with a list of quotes and ratings from them, and links to their full reviews, on each movie's main page (at rottentomatoes.com). Now you have to click through links to get to them. I'm guesstimating this is because many of the linked reviews are now dead links, and rottentomatoes doesn't have the rights to reprint any of them, even quotes therefrom.

Oh, and the RT page for each movie has been redesigned so it looks 'nice' (supposedly) on a loving phone but awful on pads or computer screens due to all the wasted space. This trend is cancer (with apologies to the schoolkids actually contacting cancer mentioned in the above post).

gently caress YOU, Rottentomatoes.com !!!

:lmao: all upset that someone didn’t value your free labor

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
yes sharing your opinion of things is labor

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

Nocheez posted:

If y'all aren't using Plex and the skip intro and credits feature, you're missing out.

is plex pass worth it? is there another way

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

moist banana bread posted:

yes sharing your opinion of things is labor

when someone or something else packages it up and makes money off it, yes

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

thathonkey posted:

is plex pass worth it? is there another way

I don't regret getting the lifetime at all, but there's been some worrying update notices lately. We have a Plex thread here

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
noun
work, especially hard physical work.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

noun

this is gonna upset a lot of fake job havers

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

noun

:lol:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Like were broken amphora shards littering the gritty streets of Rome?

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Pedants are getting worse, that’s for sure

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
I am totally unfazed by our difference of opinions on the definition of work

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

work is simply force times displacement

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i’m glad you’re able to embrace and find happiness in your fifth grader from a red state level of comprehension of the concept of labor. people should proud of what they are

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
Hey I get it, everyone in our communist utopia knows the only thing of value in life is money and if you didn't get any someone cheated you.

moist banana bread fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 3, 2024

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Hey I get it, everyone in our communist utopia knows the only thing of value in life is money and if you didn't get any someone cheated you.

:lmao:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Broke: the second shift
Woke: the third shift (posting)

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

teen witch posted:

Broke: the second shift
Woke: the third shift (posting)

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
I'm just salty they rejected my application to be a professional critic.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

I'm just salty they rejected my application to be a professional critic.
What, did they tell you it stinks?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

teen witch posted:

What, did they tell you it stinks?

:wal::stat:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

This

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://youtu.be/9QsaerU7kgI

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

credburn posted:

I love that the actual website content appears to take up only about 40% of the screen while the big giant ad takes up 70%

And the rest, just a black void, sure.

Should I turn my monitor on its side to read this in the right ratio? Or move my eyeballs so they're on top of each other

And yet people think those who have add blockers are the problem. Anytime I see someone watching cable I am perplexed with how much poo poo they will passively sit through just to watch their constantly interrupted show. That, and throughout the years seeing less and less of it due to it being consistently edited down to make room for more commercials.

it would be like if every 10km the highway is shut down for you to watch 3 minutes of commercials in their infotainment systems.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

wizardofloneliness posted:

I was going to say it sounds like we live in the same place, except my lake was all hosed up pre-1950. I actually unknowingly lived a couple miles away from the local Superfund site when I first moved here. Turns out there’s a good reason the nearby road smells like sulphur and is also called Sulphur Mine Rd.

Our local lead mine road was, as it turns out, a graphite mine for pencils

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Houle posted:

it would be like if every 10km the highway is shut down for you to watch 3 minutes of commercials in their infotainment systems.
Unless you buy the Car Prime subscription! For just 29,99 per month you can enjoy your car ad-free!
Which eventually will also start to get ads integrated of course.

Don't give them ideas.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
Go click around that website on waybackmachine and tell me it has not always been a steaming pile of dogshit.

moist banana bread fucked around with this message at 22:12 on May 3, 2024

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

Houle posted:

I guarantee the reason google and others are so hot to get self driving cars working is so they can serve you an endless series of ads on the screen where your windshield used to be.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Go click around that website on waybackmachine and tell me it has not always been a steaming pile of dogshit.

I’m more of a moviepoopshoot.com kind of guy, too

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yes, he plays a super admiral or something. Very embarrassing

Here's something that got shittier: paint jobs on cars.
There was a car hauler next to me on my way home today. I was sitting at a stop light so I checked out the brand new Chevy ZR2 on it when I noticed it.

If the current trucks are anything like my 2017 Silverado, this isn't orange peel. There's some kind of clear textured top coat over just the lowest parts of the paint, presumably to protect against kicked up rocks and such. If you look real close, you can see the edge of where it starts.

Don't get me wrong though - the paint does suck. I've got more rock chips and missing bits of paint in 40k miles than my other, much older vehicles have in 2 - 5x that much.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010

800peepee51doodoo posted:

I guarantee the reason google and others are so hot to get self driving cars working is so they can serve you an endless series of ads on the screen where your windshield used to be.

One of the most realistic and disturbing thing about Uploaded isn't the premise but all the ways everything has been monitored and used for commercials

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

My understanding is that the ground level of ancient cities tended to rise over time. They just built new building on the accumulation of trash and rubble of old buildings.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Squiggle posted:

I'm sure it happened more than once, but speaking of superfund sites....Times Beach outside of St. Louis was a poster child for this poo poo. A contractor got paid to dispose of all of the dioxin from the nearby loving Agent Orange factory, and also to tamp down dust on the roads in Times Beach, so hey two birds one stone:

https://www.epa.gov/mo/town-flood-and-superfund-looking-back-times-beach-disaster-nearly-40-years-later

It was so hosed the federal government bought the entire town, started shoveling all of the topsoil into incinerators, and buried everything else in the town in a giant landfill. I remember driving by the soil incinerators as a kid on the way to Six Flags. It was wild.

apparently the guy who did this just died two weeks ago at 90 after serving his time in jail the time served was one year for tax fraud.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

redshirt posted:

Good example. I assume they were tossed because they were broken and no way to repair.

And of course there's always tons of organic "trash" - poo poo and shells and such.

"Middens"

They're called Italians now.

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!

Squiggle posted:

I'm sure it happened more than once, but speaking of superfund sites....Times Beach outside of St. Louis was a poster child for this poo poo. A contractor got paid to dispose of all of the dioxin from the nearby loving Agent Orange factory, and also to tamp down dust on the roads in Times Beach, so hey two birds one stone:

https://www.epa.gov/mo/town-flood-and-superfund-looking-back-times-beach-disaster-nearly-40-years-later

It was so hosed the federal government bought the entire town, started shoveling all of the topsoil into incinerators, and buried everything else in the town in a giant landfill. I remember driving by the soil incinerators as a kid on the way to Six Flags. It was wild.

What an absolutely arrogant insufferable oval office of a man.

http://www.cnn.com/US/9706/26/times.beach/transcript/index1.htm

I'm a nerd for these tragedy stories but didn't recall this one specifically.

"I thought I was just spraying motor oil everywhere! THEY R COMIN AFTER MY SON"

quote:

Prior to 1978, the Bliss Waste Oil Company was owned and operated by Russell and Evelyn Bliss; their son, Jerry Bliss, was an employee of their business. When the business was incorporated in 1978 Russell, Evelyn, and Jerry Bliss, became the officers, directors and sole shareholders of petitioner. The business operations remained the same after incorporation. The office, trucks, employees and customers of petitioner are the same as those of Bliss Waste Oil Company. Petitioner represented itself to be a continuation of the Bliss Waste Oil Company, advertising on its letterhead that it had been in business for over forty years; and advertised itself as "Bliss Oil, Inc." on the side of at least one of its trucks. This was sufficient to show that petitioner was a continuation of Bliss Waste Oil Company and, as such, responsible for the actions of the latter, its principals and its employees.

moist banana bread fucked around with this message at 18:06 on May 4, 2024

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

euphronius posted:

This is why among other things the clean water act attaches personal liability to people who violate it

San Francisco must be punished
United States and California Take Enforcement Action Against San Francisco for Violations of the Clean Water Act | US EPA

www.epa.gov - Wed, 01 May 2024 posted:

2024-05-01T12:00:00Z

SAN FRANCISCO – The Department of Justice, on behalf of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and the Attorney General of California, on behalf of the San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board, filed a civil complaint in federal court today against the City and County of San Francisco for claims of Clean Water Act violations spanning the last decade. The complaint seeks financial penalties and improvements to remedy San Francisco’s repeated and widespread failures to operate its two combined sewer systems and three sewage treatment plants in compliance with the Clean Water Act and its permits. San Francisco failed to operate its combined sewer systems in a manner that keeps untreated sewage out of San Francisco Bay and its tributaries, streets, beaches and other areas with risk of human contact.

“Protecting San Francisco Bay, the Pacific Ocean and public health are critical priorities for EPA, and this complaint is a major step to improve how the San Francisco sewer system is managed,” said EPA Pacific Southwest Regional Administrator Martha Guzman. “EPA and our partners are committed to ensuring San Francisco comes into compliance with the Clean Water Act to protect clean water and local communities.”

“San Francisco’s aging wastewater system has exposed the public to risks for too long,” said Alexis Strauss, Chair of the San Francisco Bay Regional Water Quality Control Board. “This is the time to commit to an outcome which reduces sewage overflows and builds upgraded wastewater infrastructure. Our goal is to help San Francisco achieve a healthy Bay and coastline, which can be enjoyed by millions of residents and visitors every day."

The United States and the San Francisco Water Board request that the Court order the City of San Francisco to cease further violations of the Clean Water Act and its permits and complete all actions necessary to ensure that the City complies in the future. On average each year since 2016, San Francisco has discharged more than 1.8 billion gallons of untreated sewage from its combined sewer systems into creeks, San Francisco Bay, and the Pacific Ocean, including areas popular for wading, swimming, surfing, kayaking and fishing. San Francisco is served by two combined sewer systems that collect domestic sewage, industrial and commercial wastewater, and stormwater in the same pipes. During heavy rains, when the sewage treatment plants are at maximum capacity, combined sewage is discharged from near-shore outfalls to creeks, the San Francisco Bay, and the Pacific Ocean without receiving disinfection treatment.

San Francisco’s failure to take steps to minimize these discharges or provide disinfection treatment interferes with the state’s designated uses for these water bodies, which include water contact recreation and protection of aquatic life. Untreated sewage contains pathogens such as E. coli, which can cause severe illness if ingested. Children, the elderly, people with weakened immune systems and pregnant women have a higher risk for adverse consequences from such illness than the general population.

In addition, San Francisco’s combined sewer systems are in a state of disrepair, and the City’s failure to properly operate and maintain them has led to additional combined sewage discharges that has put members of the public at risk for unknowingly coming into contact with untreated sewage. San Francisco has also consistently failed to properly notify the public about the presence of untreated sewage at popular water recreation locations, overflows from manholes onto sidewalks and streets and the risks of coming into contact with untreated sewage.

EPA has brought enforcement actions to require municipalities across the country to update their sewer systems and address similar Clean Water Act violations. Nationally, EPA has been working with states, municipalities, and trade organizations to develop tools to help communities work towards compliance with Clean Water Act requirements, including meeting applicable water quality standards.

The State Water Board and nine regional boards administer and enforce the Clean Water Act in California, improving water quality for communities and the environment while working with wastewater systems to help bring them into compliance. In 2023, the Water Boards took 260 wastewater enforcement actions under the Clean Water Act, with over six million dollars in assessed penalties.

San Francisco is one of approximately 750 communities in the country with combined sewer systems but is only one of two such systems in California. San Francisco began planning to address its combined sewer overflows in the 1970s and completed construction of planned controls over 25 years ago. Since completion of those controls, no significant upgrades or updates have been made to the system to reduce combined sewer overflows and currently, the controls are insufficient to meet the requirements in San Francisco’s Clean Water Act permits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moist banana bread
Dec 17, 2023

banana Jake!
I like how dioxin guy goes into an unhinged rant about aspartame. Just amazing.