Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
If y'all aren't using Plex and the skip intro and credits feature, you're missing out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
My only bone to pick whether with binging or weekly episodes is holy poo poo release the show globally around the same time.

I’ve had far too much spoiled because some of the richest companies in the world can’t manage international distribution. I’ll either end up acquiring the show another way or not even bother watching it if everything’s spoiled within a few days. Real irritating.

Why yes I like Lower Decks! What do you mean there’s more than two seasons?!?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Great British bake off is like that. Totally incomprehensible releases

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

His Divine Shadow posted:

The truck sucks, as most modern trucks do, it's just a given when it goes from a durable work vehicle to a double cabined small dick compensator used to drive around the suburbs with.

But generally that style is on purpose, it's a thicker layer of stone chip protection that's painted over. It's flexible protection that serves as rust proofing and helps dampen sound. You'll find that on a lot of cars if you go looking at their sills. It's probably just noticeable on that car because it's ridiculously tall and also raised up.

yeah. my 83 rx-7 has sills that look like this. so its not a new phenomenon

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Thanks for the paint education. I didn't know.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

teen witch posted:

To complement the Superfund search:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cancer_clusters

This list isn’t definitive but always a fun google to find out that you grew up in a notorious cancer cluster. Not just one type, either :stare:

I was born and lived at a nearby base to Lejeune, and my dad went there for work often. He also worked on jets that carried agent orange during Vietnam. Prostate and skin cancer.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

TotalLossBrain posted:

Yes, he plays a super admiral or something. Very embarrassing

Here's something that got shittier: paint jobs on cars.
There was a car hauler next to me on my way home today. I was sitting at a stop light so I checked out the brand new Chevy ZR2 on it when I noticed it.

Orange peel on GM cars goes back at least to the Nixon administration

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

teen witch posted:

My only bone to pick whether with binging or weekly episodes is holy poo poo release the show globally around the same time.

I’ve had far too much spoiled because some of the richest companies in the world can’t manage international distribution. I’ll either end up acquiring the show another way or not even bother watching it if everything’s spoiled within a few days. Real irritating.

Why yes I like Lower Decks! What do you mean there’s more than two seasons?!?

Hello, I'm Amazon. I'm going to release five episodes of a show all at once and then take three months to release a trailer for the next four episodes and another two months to release those episodes. Then the show is going away for two years.

Also pay me $20 more this year than last year. Here's a free copy of Fallout 2.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

syntaxfunction posted:

So literally any older show that's been put in a streaming service? MASH be cut down I guess?

Also if a show isn't great to binge maybe don't binge it? I don't understand bingeing shows in general tho honestly, that poo poo gets tedious.

I understand wanting to discuss shows on a weekly basis, I didn't really think of that since it hasn't been "a thing" since like high school for me lol. It feels a bit like a forced schedule to me but no different than a book club after all. So yeah, sounds reasonable.

Not mash because it wasn't really a narrative show, but for example Lost, which was mentioned earlier, would be much better cut down on a repeated viewing. So much of that show was obvious filler or existed to remind people what they were even watching. But it was an artifact and function of its time and format.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

wash bucket posted:

This isn't something that just got shittier. I just found out WHY it got shittier.

The city I live in is on a large lake that's a big deal for all the tourism and recreation reasons you would expect. Except it's very polluted. Sport fishing is still a huge draw but every pier and boat ramp has big signs that say "Do NOT eat these fish!" Of course everyone ignores those signs. Once upon a time I asked why the lake was so polluted and the response was, "Used to be a bunch of factories around the lake back in the day or something."

Well today I learned the exact reason why this lake is so polluted. It's listed on the EPA's website as a superfund site. It wasn't a bunch of factories. It was exactly one small factory that dumped industrial waste directly into a creek from the 50s to the 80s. This entire lake was ruined for generations by this one factory and everyone's reaction is, "Eh, something's gotta kill you."

Shout out to boring government agencies though. The EPA cared more about this than the people being poisoned by it. They made the company pay for many millions in remediation and cleanup efforts, they're still monitoring the pollution levels, and they have decades of documents and studies online that nobody gives a poo poo about.

If you would like to search for EPA superfund sites in your area then click here to ruin your day.

It's really remarkable how different we used to view the environment (and some still do). As utterly disposable, to do whatever you want with, without any limitation. More so, it's our RIGHT to do so, God given.

My family had this camp on a small pond in Maine and I discovered dozens and dozens of very old shoe soles, glass bottles, and cans buried right beside the shore. There was probably more trash I didn't find. And it amazed me that 150 years prior, some folks saw this beautiful lakeshore and thought: Good place to dump all our trash.

Boggles my mind, but it's clearly not out of the norm.

In this way though, things are getting better.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
lol people used to dig French drains in their yards to pour old motor oil into

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I mean oil comes out of the ground, putting it back in seems very environmentally sound.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Mozi posted:

I mean oil comes out of the ground, putting it back in seems very environmentally sound.

it's its home, it's supposed to be there!

Literally A Person posted:

also, lol, never heard this one. Seems like a lot trouble go through, I wonder why an oil hole wouldn't work as good?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

UFOTacoMan posted:

it's its home, it's supposed to be there!

also, lol, never heard this one. Seems like a lot trouble go through, I wonder why an oil hole wouldn't work as good?

I mean, p much is. It's maybe a little fancier what with the rock and such but, yeah, oil hole.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
That Elsbeth show is pretty good. The wife and I have been watching them and they're pretty entertaining. It's like CSI, but cute?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Isn't it still somewhat common practice to pour oil over dirt roads to keep dust down?
I recall some Oklahoma hick contractor for this type of work getting in trouble for using PCB-laden oil.
Probably in the last 10-15 years. Maybe I'm making poo poo up, idk

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

TotalLossBrain posted:

Isn't it still somewhat common practice to pour oil over dirt roads to keep dust down?
I recall some Oklahoma hick contractor for this type of work getting in trouble for using PCB-laden oil.

I don't think so anymore. It's mostly some form of salt now that they use as a replacement for oil. The oil replaced dioxin.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
From what I've seen in this topic I don't trust any business to effectively handle their waste. I used to think Simpsons was a satire but I fully expect to hear a case of nuclear waste being buried under a play ground or important aquifer or something.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Literally A Person posted:

everyone i know still does this

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

TotalLossBrain posted:

I'm sure it happened more than once, but speaking of superfund sites....Times Beach outside of St. Louis was a poster child for this poo poo. A contractor got paid to dispose of all of the dioxin from the nearby loving Agent Orange factory, and also to tamp down dust on the roads in Times Beach, so hey two birds one stone:

https://www.epa.gov/mo/town-flood-and-superfund-looking-back-times-beach-disaster-nearly-40-years-later

quote:

Nearly 40 years ago, an individual was paid to spray material on the roads to suppress the dust in this small Midwest town. What the town didn’t know was that he was spraying those roads with a mixture of the highly toxic chemical compound, dioxin, and waste oil. When the town was inundated by a terrible flood in December 1982, that toxic mix spread beyond the roads and covered the town.

It was so hosed the federal government bought the entire town, started shoveling all of the topsoil into incinerators, and buried everything else in the town in a giant landfill. I remember driving by the soil incinerators as a kid on the way to Six Flags. It was wild.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:12 on May 3, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Nuclear waste no . But there is def waste of all kind just dumped everywhere

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

redshirt posted:

It's really remarkable how different we used to view the environment (and some still do). As utterly disposable, to do whatever you want with, without any limitation. More so, it's our RIGHT to do so, God given.

This poo poo always blew my mind. I grew up in the southern US in a farming community. People literally depended on the environment for their livelihood. Fishing and hunting were very popular. Everyone grew vegetable gardens. These people were deeply connected to the land.

But they seemed to despise nature.

Everyone dumped used motor oil in ditches. They gladly hoarded and continued to use pesticides “the government” outlawed. Animal cruelty towards pets, livestock, and other animals was the norm.

I poo poo you not, they selectively bred silent rattlesnakes by accident because everyone killed snakes on sight. A local university came out to study the phenomenon.

Like you said, nature was just a resource to be extracted and used to them.

Edit: Actually, I’m being a bit hyperbolic about the rattlesnake thing. That did occur due to people killing rattlesnakes but it was a region wide phenomenon. Not just that one community. They certainly contributed to it though.

wash bucket fucked around with this message at 17:39 on May 3, 2024

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

wash bucket posted:

This poo poo always blew my mind. I grew up in the southern US in a farming community. People literally depended on the environment for their livelihood. Fishing and hunting were very popular. Everyone grew vegetable gardens. These people were deeply connected to the land.

Everyone dumped used motor oil in ditches. They gladly hoarded and continued to use pesticides “the government” outlawed. Animal cruelty towards pets, livestock, and other animals was the norm.

I poo poo you not, they selectively bred silent rattlesnakes by accident because everyone killed snakes on sight. A local university came out to study the phenomenon.

Edit: Actually, I’m being a bit hyperbolic about the rattlesnake thing. That did occur due to people killing rattlesnakes but it was a region wide phenomenon. Not just that one community. They certainly contributed to it though.

Indeed.

We're having this big thing in Maine over so called "Forever Chemicals", that were the result of State supported programs to use "treated" waste as fertilizer on farms, like 40-50 years ago. Now all these farms are laced with all sorts of toxins that are basically impossible to remove while having a farm. So now the State is working on a program to buy out these farms. A whole thing.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

When I was a kid my cousins and I would go deep into the woods behind my grandparents' farm, where there were all kinds of tree-tunnel tractor trails down to large fields tucked into the woods and forest paths and streams to run along and explore, real Bridge to Terabithia poo poo. One day, we discovered the massive sinkhole where all of the surrounding farmers dumped old refrigerators, washing machines, cars, fuckin...whatever. It was clear some of them had been there more than 50 years. It's an image that always stuck with me.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Squiggle posted:

When I was a kid my cousins and I would go deep into the woods behind my grandparents' farm, where there were all kinds of tree-tunnel tractor trails down to large fields tucked into the woods and forest paths and streams to run along and explore, real Bridge to Terabithia poo poo. One day, we discovered the massive sinkhole where all of the surrounding farmers dumped old refrigerators, washing machines, cars, fuckin...whatever. It was clear some of them had been there more than 50 years. It's an image that always stuck with me.

Oh yeah, we had one of those in a gully near our house. It was a small-ish canyon but you could walk to the bottom on the hill of trash and old tires on one side of it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

wash bucket posted:

Oh yeah, we had one of those in a gully near our house. It was a small-ish canyon but you could walk to the bottom on the hill of trash and old tires on one side of it.

Jesus, old tires thrown off the road into the woods makes up like 10% of the mass here.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
When I was a kid it seemed like any unmaintained wooded area of the suburbs had a clearing where a car was melding with nature. Wild to think they were probably put there when my parents were young and they're probably still there.

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Our issue in Los Angeles is that the Montrose Chemical Corporation illegally dumped a fuckload of DDT and PCBs into the ocean. Some of it they dumped in the sewers, but most of it was put in barrels, which they dumped from ships close to shore, and intentionally punctured so they would sink and they wouldn't be caught.

Thank you, Montrose Chemical Corporation, for making our world-famous beaches a hazard, and for improving our water with handy toxic chemicals!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

This is why among other things the clean water act attaches personal liability to people who violate it

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Houle posted:

From what I've seen in this topic I don't trust any business to effectively handle their waste. I used to think Simpsons was a satire but I fully expect to hear a case of nuclear waste being buried under a play ground or important aquifer or something.

There are multiple schools in the US that have grossly unacceptable levels of radiation.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Time_pants posted:

There are multiple schools in the US that have grossly unacceptable levels of radiation.

This cures the cancers caused by the school being on a superfund site.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Rottentomatoes.com, sometime in the last few weeks, abolished a lot of user accounts with no notice whatever. I'm not sure whether they cancelled just spamgourmet.com type shell email accounts (which stop dickheads like them spamming us) or abolished all user accounts.

So every user, including me, who bothered to review any movie on the site, has had our reviews deleted, with no chance to save them. loving SCUM.

Also, the whole point of the site (IMO) was to display aggregate ratings of professional reviewers from magazine and newspaper etc. websites, with a list of quotes and ratings from them, and links to their full reviews, on each movie's main page (at rottentomatoes.com). Now you have to click through links to get to them. I'm guesstimating this is because many of the linked reviews are now dead links, and rottentomatoes doesn't have the rights to reprint any of them, even quotes therefrom.

Oh, and the RT page for each movie has been redesigned so it looks 'nice' (supposedly) on a loving phone but awful on pads or computer screens due to all the wasted space. This trend is cancer (with apologies to the schoolkids actually contacting cancer mentioned in the above post).

gently caress YOU, Rottentomatoes.com !!!

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 3, 2024

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

BigBadSteve posted:

Rottentomatoes.com, sometime in the last few weeks, abolished a lot of user accounts with no notice whatever. I'm not sure whether they cancelled just spamgourmet.com type shell email accounts (which stop dickheads like them spamming us) or just abolished all accounts.

So every user, including me, who bothered to review any movie on the site, has had our reviews deleted, with no chance to save them. loving SCUM.

Also, the whole point of the site (IMO) was to display aggregate ratings of professional reviewers from magazine and newspaper etc. websites, with a list of quotes and ratings from them, and links to their full reviews, on each movie's main page at rottentomatoes.com . Now you have to click through links to get them. I'm guesstimating this is because many of the linked reviews are now dead links, and rottentomatoes doesn't have the right to reprint any of them, even quotes.

Oh, and the RT page for each movie has been redesigned so it looks 'nice' on a loving phone but awful on pads or computer screens due to all the wasted space. This trend is cancer.

gently caress YOU Rottentomatoes.com .

I love that the actual website content appears to take up only about 40% of the screen while the big giant ad takes up 70%

And the rest, just a black void, sure.

Should I turn my monitor on its side to read this in the right ratio? Or move my eyeballs so they're on top of each other

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I get that Letterboxd is for snobs, of which I am *not*, but Christ have a bit of dignity there RT.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

If you care anything about what you write, save it locally, good grief.

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

That’s why there’s a 44MB file on my computer named good_posts.txt.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

wash bucket posted:

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

That's why I print out funny memes and share them with the gang at Dennys.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

BigBadSteve posted:

Rottentomatoes.com, sometime in the last few weeks, abolished a lot of user accounts with no notice whatever. I'm not sure whether they cancelled just spamgourmet.com type shell email accounts (which stop dickheads like them spamming us) or abolished all user accounts.

Also, the whole point of the site (IMO) was to display aggregate ratings of professional reviewers from magazine and newspaper etc. websites, with a list of quotes and ratings from them, and links to their full reviews, on each movie's main page (at rottentomatoes.com). Now you have to click through links to get to them. I'm guesstimating this is because many of the linked reviews are now dead links, and rottentomatoes doesn't have the rights to reprint any of them, even quotes therefrom.

Oh, and the RT page for each movie has been redesigned so it looks 'nice' (supposedly) on a loving phone but awful on pads or computer screens due to all the wasted space. This trend is cancer (with apologies to the schoolkids actually contacting cancer mentioned in the above post).

gently caress YOU, Rottentomatoes.com !!!

If you're trying to back up your reviews try searching for your user profile page or whatever (not sure how RT accounts work) on https://archive.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

wash bucket posted:

Beavers are nocturnal now because they were hunted nearly to extinction to make hats.