Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Breadmaster posted:

I assume the upgrade system no longer uses essence?

There is a new word to drinking game to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Otoh I think legacy is the weakest of the 3 games. The story goes from enraging to boring and it's not as fun to play as hots or wol imo

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
LotV is definitely the campaign I've replayed the least, although tbf I can't confidently declare that's due to its intrinsic qualities (though I did find it kind of tedious) as opposed to to the fact that, unlike for WoL and HotS, LOTV came out after I left undergrad and consequently lost a lot of free time...

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Breadmaster posted:

I assume the upgrade system no longer uses essence?

It uses coal.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Xarn posted:

I think the upgrade system is dumber though.
It is quite terrible. By far the most bland and actually detrimental. I'll wait until we actually see it in action before complaining in more detail since it probably counts as a spoiler.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
A weird thing about LotV is that the campaign doesn’t engage with the new Protoss units. One of them the Adept is a mutually exclusive upgrade choice like the Broodlord/Viper, but without even a mission to introduce it. They also had to change its whole deal because its purpose is mineral line harassment. The other, the Disruptior isn’t in the campaign at all. They weren’t in the roster of the first 4 Protoss co-op commanders either.

This is the first time we get to use Sentries, right? We didn’t get them in the WoL Prophecy missions.

They continue the HotS trend of neither requiring or allowing you to use transports or detectors. I wasn’t around for much of the thread, what was the consensus on that?

Some of the maps are cool. Sky Shield does something cool with the background, Templar’s charge has a neat little gimmick, and Last Stand is Metal as hell. The story, meh. Everyone is gravely intoning at each other all the time with one notable exception.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
the LOTV campaign does have a bunch of campaign exclusive units though, some of which are really damned fun, and all the regular campaign units get buffs to compensate.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Kurieg posted:

the LOTV campaign does have a bunch of campaign exclusive units though, some of which are really damned fun, and all the regular campaign units get buffs to compensate.

Yeah I think LOTV has by FAR the best army customization of the three. Some fun stuff to play with there, especially some of the final units to get unlocked.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
It helps that there is no choice in LOTV that you cannot back out of and change if it turns out the unit you changed to absolutely sucks.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

LotV much like HotS is way removed from the main game in how it plays since you’re missing multiple important multiplayer units, but unlike HotS you’re still following the same structure and the idea of the game are the same, you just get a different bunch of toys to play with instead of one completely game warping toy that devalues all the rest.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Prologue Fun Fact: There are a few units that were technically custom imports because, while they were finished and implemented in LotV, the game was still on HotS. As a result, these units exist as separate and unique copies from the core game despite being identical.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

gohuskies posted:

Yeah I think LOTV has by FAR the best army customization of the three. Some fun stuff to play with there, especially some of the final units to get unlocked.

Disagree, partially due to preference to point buy system like in WoL and partially due to the handling of the "default" units. But I don't want to go into that until we see the implementation.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Prologue 2: Ghosts in the Fog

Video: Ghosts in the Fog

No Intermissions here, just one mission after the other.

This should prove to be a truly glorious battle, brother.

Another UI change, the pre-mission screen now shows achievements.

The Tal'darim get their third and final outfit change here, going from a black and green to black, red, and spiky for maximum :moreevil:.

Our difficulties do not end there, Zeratul. This world is in its death throes.

I pray this temple of yours is worth it.

This mission has a unique gimmick, where all bases on the map have no geysers.

Instead, I'm almost entirely reliant on resource pickups.

On the plus side, I now have access to Starports, letting me play with the entire protoss tech tree.

Be prepared to move out, I expect a fissure to erupt shortly.

Every time that bar at the top fills more vespene will spew out.

When the bar is almost full, it marks the next batch of fissures to erupt. The more of the map I clear out, the more fissures I can quickly hit up after each breach.

There's actually no limit to how many breaches can occur, and the pickups themselves never time out. In practice, this gives me effectively infinite gas.

The minimap will have green gas marking any fissures with pickups on them to make it easy to see.

Since I'll be making a whole heap of Zealots early on I elect to get all the ground upgrades first thing.

This mission unlocks Tempests, a heavy air unit the protoss got back in Heart.

There's the bonus.

The defenders are starting to pick up a bit, which is bad when my own options are limited.

You know I just remembered? We never got access to Sentries during the Prophecy missions. They just never gave them to us back then.

They can restore shields, which is really important when replacing any non-Zealot would take a while.

More gas.

Don't be afraid, that's just what Tal'darim Archons look like. No risk of getting nailed by Mind Control here.

Once I build up a bit more I head to the nearest bonus.

Even with little gas, enough Zealots can solve a lot of problems.

...I was heading to the bonus, but along the way I found an expansion.

Even the Tal'darim building explosions are recolored!

The rock is guarded by just a few guys.

Each bonus is a limitless supply of gas, but each one only gives about as much vespene as a single worker on a geyser. It's not much, but it'll still add up over the mission.

And I go hit the second bonus while I'm at it.

Oh gently caress right off.

'Defend the ramps leading in to your base with Photon Cannons!' that doesn't help when they get to come from the complete opposite direction.

Thankfully pulling my Probes away lured the Void Ray to a Cannon.

But that doesn't help against Colossi!

This rock can't be reached by Zealots, so you need ranged units to open it up.

Hey remember how Void Rays tore through Goliaths in Wings but could only tickle Marines?

Well Archons aren't Armored, so they take a lot of sustained fire to kill.

Maybe this new unit will help?

Also there's just a second expansion sitting around here.

After an entire game of Kerrigan steamrolling everything, I'm glad to have a mission with some spice to it.

The first Tempest is finished.

It's a Guardian 2: Now With Less Zerg Bits.

It's also, for whatever reason, worse than it's skirmish counterpart in Heart! The skirmish Tempest has higher base damage and has a separate air attack that deals bonus damage vs Massive.

Which would have been really god drat helpful against these Carriers!

Anyways it shoots a fancy ball at the enemy don't pay any attention to my army size.

Oh son of a bitch I just left my base.

Could you guys chill?

Or at least not use units that turn my static defense into a joke?

Okay, time for the usual strat.

I just want to crack this rock.

Mine now, suckers.

And just in time to catch yet another attack wave.

Carriers get a campaign buff, making Interceptors completely free.

God, mass Carriers will never get old.

Then he shall be disappointed.

I could go and hit the temple now, but I want to clear out any remaining production so I don't get surprised by yet another attack wave.

My Tempests are so weak they can't beat a single Carrier without taking losses despite having a numbers advantage.

Okay, I should be safe from here.

There are very few problems a bunch of Carriers can't solve.

Here, here! To glorious battle!

They managed to slip two Zealots past my army.

But after knocking out every Pylon they have, I'm completely untouchable.

And done.

For once, a mission I have no complaints about! The mission gimmick throws a wrench into my early game while letting me spam units late game, I'm given a wide selection of army comps I could go with, and most importantly the Tal'darim actually pose a threat!

Go, Zeratul. Find the answers you seek within the temple. Our blades shall grant you the time you need.

You have my thanks, Talis. En taro Tassadar.

Ghosts in the Fog - Complete the "Ghosts in the Fog" mission in the Whispers of Oblivion Campaign.

Gassed Up - Acquire 3500 vespene gas from eruption sites during the "Ghosts in the Fog" mission.

Nixed Nexus - Destroy all enemy Nexuses during the "Ghosts in the Fog" mission in Normal difficulty.

Emission Regulation - Complete the "Ghosts in the Fog" mission without building a Robotics Facility or Stargate on Normal difficulty.

Numbus26
Jun 23, 2023
Finally there's a mission where you get to use a faction's whole arsenal against a decently strong enemy and it ends up being great. Who would have thought?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

Prologue 2: Ghosts in the Fog

Here, here! To glorious battle!
Is it really "here, here" instead of "hear, hear"?

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

DTurtle posted:

Is it really "here, here" instead of "hear, hear"?

Yep!

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

:doh: :doh: :doh:

A real labor of love focussed on getting all details just right...

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 09:47 on May 18, 2024

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Fun fact, the starting void ray should be able to get you both perma geysers right at the start.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

I've never been impressed with Tempests, any version of 'em. Feels like a unit built exclusively for taking down static defenses- and if you're so constrained that you can't take that kind of fight, then you're just asking for your tempest to swiftly get shot down along with its surprisingly massive hunk of resource cost.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not a fan of them (and the new Terran LotV air unit) simply because I think it's more fun to have flying artillery be A Zerg Thing.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
Mass Carriers is a primal and visceral joy, much like I imagine our caveman ancestors felt when they played Starcraft too.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tempests can pack a lot of punch but they really need a screening force to keep enemies off them. They can outrange most things but certainly can't outrun them.

Honestly this is true for a lot of how the Protoss work as an army.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Zomborgon posted:

I've never been impressed with Tempests, any version of 'em. Feels like a unit built exclusively for taking down static defenses- and if you're so constrained that you can't take that kind of fight, then you're just asking for your tempest to swiftly get shot down along with its surprisingly massive hunk of resource cost.

Even the real-scale mod can't make them good to use. They have an absolutely massive AOE attack that takes like fifteen seconds to reload, travels slowly, and does 3000 damage. In exchange they take about 20 supply and a couple thousand minerals and gas. They have exactly one use, taking down capital ships, and they're bad at it.

The one co-op commander who gets them doesn't even build them, they're useful on exactly one map.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I've kind of mentally cashed out but why do we care about this temple again? Is it full of ancient Xel'naga AK-47's or something we can use to save the world?

also lmao at the Tal'darim turning from recoloured Protoss into SPIKY VILLAIN EDGELORDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

I know they don't want to overwhelm the player and I think the various progression systems in SC2's campaigns are super cool, but drat is it satisfying to get a full army against another full army. That happens just so drat rarely in Blizzard's RTS campaigns - and not just SC2, but the same thing happened in SC1 and Warcraft 3 too. I know they released some custom campaigns that go full gloves-off, but those never had quite the same feeling.

DTurtle posted:

:doh: :doh: :doh:

A real labor of love focussed on getting all details just right...
Maybe he just wants everyone to know where the GLORIOUS BATTLE is located. Not over there, it's here, step right up here, this way to glorious battle!