Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
*slap bass*
These high school kids can’t take a joke anymore “what’s the deal with these pronouns” I said and they go “sir you’re not allowed within 100 feet of here”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Hollywood is still baffled by camp and embarrassed of fantasy elements of anything unless forced to not downplay and/or over explain it all in ways no viewer actually wants. Animation can barely get away with it since that's dumb poo poo for babies anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Hollywood is still baffled by camp and embarrassed of fantasy elements of anything unless forced to not downplay and/or over explain it all in ways no viewer actually wants. Animation can barely get away with it since that's dumb poo poo for babies anyway.
This was a problem for years with comic book movies. Until Iron Man, they were generally pretty embarrassed to be showing you comic book poo poo.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
A handful of exceptions aside, it's never stopped being a problem.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bernard Hill, passed away at 79.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Argh, how sad. I know him mainly as Theoden, but he made that character my favorite in the Lord of the Rings movies despite coming in late.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Headbutting down the gates of heaven. :black101:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Asterite34 posted:

I feel like every attempt to make a He-Man reboot makes the mistake of trying to play it serious. I mean yes that terrible 80s movie had comic relief, but it had a lot of goofy poo poo that I'm pretty sure was supposed to be taken at face value and not intentionally camp. Nobody on Earth, not the little kid consumers of it, not the original creators, no one actually thought this poo poo was gritty or dramatic. You know it's bad when they try and make Skeletor actually an intimidating "serious" villain. He's named Skeletor for fucks' sake!

If you're gonna make a He-Man movie, you gotta give it like a Ninja Turtles sorta light irreverent tone, that just happens to take place in a Boris Vallejo heavy metal fever dream of a setting full of buff wizards and monster-men and poo poo

The original He-Man is an interesting production because the more serious approach was something they originally envisioned for it, like much closer to Conan the Barbarian in tone. Obviously between it being a kids show and the kitchen sink approach to toy merchandising and characters that was never going to really happen. But that sorta Weird Tales almost dying earth sorta pulp story vibe is still in the cartoon on the edges despite how campy and stupid it is on the face.

With that in mind I though I thought those Netflix animated ones (Revelation and more recently Revolution) were a lot of fun for actually catching on to and nailing that kind of journey for the characters while still having it be a kids show. I know people hated Revelation for how little screentime He-Man has but it was cool to see the other folks fleshed out a bit more, and also to see them work in incredibly stupid toy poo poo like He-Ro and similar things that never really made it into the cartoon in fun ways. I think it captured that general concept of having this New Sun hosed up world but with a bunch of cartoon people in it. As far as the all the rage "legacy sequel where all the good guys are sad failures" go I think it handled it fine.

He-Man is such a broad setting though, there's a lot of lore but room for plenty of different takes on it.

Like on the opposite end, Netflix had this like deadly serious CG Transformers mini-series awhile ago dealing with the final bits of war on Cybertron before the Autobots head to earth/etc., jesus christ was it boring.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Neo Rasa posted:

Like on the opposite end, Netflix had this like deadly serious CG Transformers mini-series awhile ago dealing with the final bits of war on Cybertron before the Autobots head to earth/etc., jesus christ was it boring.

Not only that, it was a deadly serious CG Transformers series where all the characters that are slowly growling to each other about how serious and brutal their war is are 1:1 recreations of the toys, down to having peg holes and little fake wheels because Megatron's tank treads can't actually move.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Earthspark on Nickelodeon ended up being a better Transformers show about the impact of war. Megatron switched sides and now has to round up his former soldiers who went rogue, the humans are unlawfully detaining Decepticons including the few good ones, Bumblebee is now a fugitive for unknown reasons, Starscream has PTSD from being abused by Megatron, there's now young Transformers created by their god out of the Earth itself so they're like a new race. But it's all still fun and the characters are more interesting to watch.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Can't find it rn but apparently Gina carano is saying there's no animosity against Disney now and she wants back on star wars, please

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

how appropriate

today is Revenge of the Fifth

Jack Daniels that is

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It’s Cinco de Mayo

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Can't find it rn but apparently Gina carano is saying there's no animosity against Disney now and she wants back on star wars, please
I thought they fired her rather than her quitting? Isn't it weird to be like "I'd like to come back and there are no hard feelings" to someone who fired you?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ya people celebrate Star Wars Day in Mexico

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/screentime/status/1787226199086747668?t=abNJjYpIkE__ZrcUGpxXmQ&s=19

It's apparently from a screen rant article so take it with a grain of salt

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

what happened to her lawsuit

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/screentime/status/1787226199086747668?t=abNJjYpIkE__ZrcUGpxXmQ&s=19

I suppose this is true in the sense that I would be willing for Disney to give me a million dollars, no hard feelings

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

mystes posted:

I thought they fired her rather than her quitting? Isn't it weird to be like "I'd like to come back and there are no hard feelings" to someone who fired you?

Yeah they kicked her to the curb after she did some dumb culture war bullshit saying right wing people are being holocausted.

She's especially bad because she still did some anti trans posts even though Pedro Pascal has a trans sister.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The MSJ posted:

Earthspark on Nickelodeon ended up being a better Transformers show about the impact of war. Megatron switched sides and now has to round up his former soldiers who went rogue, the humans are unlawfully detaining Decepticons including the few good ones, Bumblebee is now a fugitive for unknown reasons, Starscream has PTSD from being abused by Megatron, there's now young Transformers created by their god out of the Earth itself so they're like a new race. But it's all still fun and the characters are more interesting to watch.

Ooh, nice, I recognize stuff "borrowed" from the first IDW run remixed in there, good times.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah they kicked her to the curb after she did some dumb culture war bullshit saying right wing people are being holocausted.

She's especially bad because she still did some anti trans posts even though Pedro Pascal has a trans sister.
She was given a talking to about her posts and they gave her another chance. I don’t think she even waited a full month to throw away her second chance to go work with Benny Shapiro on a movie that made absolutely nothing.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That CGI Transformers trilogy on Netflix was the Transformers series I wanted since Beast Wars and I throughly enjoyed it. I was surprised it didn’t get received very well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

She was given a talking to about her posts and they gave her another chance. I don’t think she even waited a full month to throw away her second chance to go work with Benny Shapiro on a movie that made absolutely nothing.
I still laugh that she was in that Hunter Biden movie, and was probably the biggest name person in it, but they wouldn't give her character a name beyond 'Secret Service agent'.

Like really, that is what you threw your career away for? Idiot.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

mystes posted:

You may have noticed that Gina Carano is a dumbass.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

also as far as I know her lawsuit against Disney (funded by Elon Musk) is still ongoing.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

That CGI Transformers trilogy on Netflix was the Transformers series I wanted since Beast Wars and I throughly enjoyed it. I was surprised it didn’t get received very well.

I think it's because it's too dreary and serious for its own good. I think Kingdom, the final part with all the Beast Wars characters is far better received.

Most fans who want a mature Transformers series is thinking of the IDW comics that has like some grim stuff like the serial killer who turns Cybertronians inside out or a regretful Megatron seeing the number of people he has killed but also silly things like Thundercracker adopting a dog and becoming a Hollywood screenwriter or the superserious Ultra Magnus curing himself of an infection by smiling.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I still laugh that she was in that Hunter Biden movie, and was probably the biggest name person in it, but they wouldn't give her character a name beyond 'Secret Service agent'.

Like really, that is what you threw your career away for? Idiot.

More proof they don't know women. Including how to write them.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Things got heated, we both said some nasty things, let's just let bygones be bygones and can I see that Cara Doon spinoff contract again please

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

okay fine but can i make a crowdfunded fan film some just plz don't sue

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

That lawsuit is still happening afaik which goes to show you how well that case is going. Hee lawyer's brief for it was pretty funny if you can find excerpts of it.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's complete nonsense, it's a bunch of the attorney quoting some of the other Star Wars actors 'saying bad things', and not at all a legal argument

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Why was Beast Machines so bad :qq:

I barely even remember it, I was so hyped for it after being a huge fan of Beast Wars and it was so wildly off-putting that I'm not sure if I watched more than like 3 episodes

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

the solution should be to go to the non woke trillion dollar sci-fi property. which is that, again?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

well why not posted:

the solution should be to go to the non woke trillion dollar sci-fi property. which is that, again?

There is one some fans claim is nonwoke, but...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJcZgdZEq0M

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
There's a totally not missing the point of the movie crowd that also thinks Dune is apparently non-woke as well.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Martman posted:

Why was Beast Machines so bad :qq:

I barely even remember it, I was so hyped for it after being a huge fan of Beast Wars and it was so wildly off-putting that I'm not sure if I watched more than like 3 episodes

It wasn't bad. The problem was they only aired 2 of the 26 episodes made.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Mr Hootington posted:

It wasn't bad. The problem was they only aired 2 of the 26 episodes made.
They showed later episodes which also sucked. It was a cheaper, bleaker, and had a vastly reduced cast of characters.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was definitely a choice to make a transformers show where the characters couldn't actually physically transform and just kind of switched forms.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Having seen it, it's a bit unusual in that it seems like the first Netflix movie where there are some production notes. There are a number of fairly joyless scenes that are atonal and just don't belong in the movie, like an extended dance sequence over the end credits.

Bee Movie is a good comparison, as it feels pretty similar where the entire movie is just hanging on one or two jokes. And it's a kids movie that really doesn't work as a kids movie.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Was the Marriage Ref terrible because of woke as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Simplex posted:

Having seen it, it's a bit unusual in that it seems like the first Netflix movie where there are some production notes. There are a number of fairly joyless scenes that are atonal and just don't belong in the movie, like an extended dance sequence over the end credits.

Bee Movie is a good comparison, as it feels pretty similar where the entire movie is just hanging on one or two jokes. And it's a kids movie that really doesn't work as a kids movie.
I’m back home for a week and my mom was watching it last night. Didn’t hear her laugh once. Just hearing the movie from the other room was kind of painful. It came across like they were trying to ape Anchorman’s style 20 years later and apply it to Pop Tarts. Seinfeld’s delivery sucks, and McCarthy continues to play the one character she has anymore.