Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

High Warlord Zog posted:

Apparently the first part of Kevin Costner's new western film cycle is 3 hours long.

Is he re-releasing the Postman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Samovar posted:

Is he re-releasing the Postman?

I wish.

At least give me an Alamo screening or something, I feel like I'm the only person who love this movie.

Edit now I'm just sitting here brainstorming what scene of Kevin Costner they're going to use and tell me to silence my devices and not talk or text

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

And I'm the only person who got angry that the movie The Postman wasn't exactly like the book The Postman

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

McGann posted:

I wish.

At least give me an Alamo screening or something, I feel like I'm the only person who love this movie.

Edit now I'm just sitting here brainstorming what scene of Kevin Costner they're going to use and tell me to silence my devices and not talk or text

Teenage Henry Cavill fiddling with his phone, followed by Costner holding up his hand and fading into the tornado.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Shageletic posted:

And I'm the only person who got angry that the movie The Postman wasn't exactly like the book The Postman

And I'm the only one who got confused because was expecting il postino

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
A movie called :justpost:man

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

dr_rat posted:

Who was asking for this!!!!

I watched through both Lonesome Dove series last month. I was asking for this this.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m at home today so I decided to watch Rebel Moon 1 and 2

Yeah

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Professor Shark posted:

I’m at home today so I decided to watch Rebel Moon 1 and 2

Yeah

Yeah

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Shageletic posted:

After reading the book I was kind of disappointed it didn't have the weird sci fi stuff like the dead supercomputers and enhanced soldiers. I liked the part where all the "might makes right" assholes all got taken over by the super soldiers since they were literally the strongest. Also how it was a post apocalyptic story which explicitly said preppers were jerks who made things worse.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Been like 2 decades since I read it but I remember the book being much more interested in world building than valorizing just one dude. And costner made it about himself and what a cool guy he was.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The movie does a weird thing where his character doesn't have a name or a backstory. Which was bizarre because that's not what the book was going for at all.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I remember watching the postman on HBO with my parents when i was like 14 and it was ultra awkward when the fairly graphic sex scene happens.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

After reading the book I was kind of disappointed it didn't have the weird sci fi stuff like the dead supercomputers and enhanced soldiers. I liked the part where all the "might makes right" assholes all got taken over by the super soldiers since they were literally the strongest. Also how it was a post apocalyptic story which explicitly said preppers were jerks who made things worse.

Is Tom Petty immortal in the book too?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

current He-Man movie plot:

quote:

According to its official synopsis, “Masters of the Universe” introduces a 10-year-old Prince Adam, who crashed to Earth in a spaceship and was separated from his magical Power Sword — the only link to his home on Eternia.

“After tracking it down almost two decades later,” the synopsis explains, “Prince Adam is whisked back across space to defend his home planet against the evil forces of Skeletor. But to defeat such a powerful villain, Prince Adam will first need to uncover the mysteries of his past and become He-Man: the most powerful man in the Universe!”

Travis Knight still attached to direct

https://variety.com/2024/film/news/masters-of-the-universe-movie-amazon-mgm-travis-knight-release-date-1235989182/

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

lmao it sound like they are doing a reverse of the old movie with even less time spent on Eternia.

Just make Buff LotR you cowards!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

lmao it sound like they are doing a reverse of the old movie with even less time spent on Eternia.

Just make Buff LotR you cowards!

It's not just "buff LOTR".

There's also cyborgs and some characters are robots.

Maybe it's Boris Vallejo's Star Wars.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 4, 2024

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Woke has destroyed comedy smh

https://twitter.com/Suntimes/status/1786235083940122714?t=Yms3xPAG8ISLvqAI7YX5wQ&s=19

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

lol can't wait to see parts of this

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

"Unfrosted" but every time you laugh the movie gets faster

running time: somehow longer than the theatrical cut

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Asterite34 posted:

"Unfrosted" but every time you laugh the movie gets faster

running time: somehow longer than the theatrical cut

I got a better laugh from this than I'm likely to get from the movie.

Bee Movie memes have been good over the years though, so I'm optimistic on that front

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

IS Jerry Seinfeld a funny guy? Certainly he starred in a legendary show, but despite being the comedian he was ironically the straight man to George and Kramer (and Elaine, sorta).

Does he have any legendary stand up specials I'm not aware of?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The AV Club's review is slightly less negative but still basically seems like a bunch of gags which sometimes work and sometimes don't. So actually a lot like Bee Movie which was also written by Seinfeld's team.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Ccs posted:

IS Jerry Seinfeld a funny guy?

no

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Seinfeld wasnt syndicated in Ireland like Friends was. Are you telling me that George Costanza wasnt the main character?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ccs posted:

IS Jerry Seinfeld a funny guy? Certainly he starred in a legendary show, but despite being the comedian he was ironically the straight man to George and Kramer (and Elaine, sorta).

I loving adore the TV show Seinfeld, like saw every single one as they aired, and then again like a lot, probably one of the best shows in existence to me. I can confirm that Jerry Seinfeld is not a funny person.

I also highly recommend checking them now, Seinfeld's almost funnier now because it lines up hilariously with the funniest stuff very very very clearly being Larry David's voice and the rest of the cast's talents and not Jerry Seinfeld.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
Yes, Seinfeld is a funny guy. He labored relentlessly over Seinfeld and has good opinions when it comes to comedy by committee writing, and how much effort you have to put in to make it good.

He’s also an old guy now, times have passed him by and Seinfeld ended about 7 years before cranky old man superseded his natural sense of humor.

Unsurprisingly his partner is a genius who even getting old couldn’t stop the flow of funny. But Larry David is simply an all timer - Jerry maybe gets in the HoF after a few years of voting.

Enderzero fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 3, 2024

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The MSJ posted:

It's not just "buff LOTR".

There's also cyborgs and some characters are robots.

Maybe it's Frank Vallejo's Star Wars.

Masters of the Universe should be Flash Gordon with a soundtrack by Dio instead of Queen.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I feel like every attempt to make a He-Man reboot makes the mistake of trying to play it serious. I mean yes that terrible 80s movie had comic relief, but it had a lot of goofy poo poo that I'm pretty sure was supposed to be taken at face value and not intentionally camp. Nobody on Earth, not the little kid consumers of it, not the original creators, no one actually thought this poo poo was gritty or dramatic. You know it's bad when they try and make Skeletor actually an intimidating "serious" villain. He's named Skeletor for fucks' sake!

If you're gonna make a He-Man movie, you gotta give it like a Ninja Turtles sorta light irreverent tone, that just happens to take place in a Boris Vallejo heavy metal fever dream of a setting full of buff wizards and monster-men and poo poo

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
A new He-man should be entirely stop motion using the toys. Just let this guy make the whole movie.

https://twitter.com/justinrasch_ani/status/1687675392927412224?t=Od8uo_9bUZWrxclH-WwERg&s=19

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Ccs posted:

He's really unfunny, but he's carried by the rest of the Seinfeld cast and Larry's writing

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

I feel like every attempt to make a He-Man reboot makes the mistake of trying to play it serious. I mean yes that terrible 80s movie had comic relief, but it had a lot of goofy poo poo that I'm pretty sure was supposed to be taken at face value and not intentionally camp. Nobody on Earth, not the little kid consumers of it, not the original creators, no one actually thought this poo poo was gritty or dramatic. You know it's bad when they try and make Skeletor actually an intimidating "serious" villain. He's named Skeletor for fucks' sake!

If you're gonna make a He-Man movie, you gotta give it like a Ninja Turtles sorta light irreverent tone, that just happens to take place in a Boris Vallejo heavy metal fever dream of a setting full of buff wizards and monster-men and poo poo

Yeah, this.

Skeletor in the old movie, much like Shredder in the first Turtles movie, had a fantastic entrance. Just the movie letting the audience bask in their grandness as they marched into the scene. The people making those movies watched A New Hope and saw Darth Vader's entrance and said, "I want that!" and they were absolutely right to want that. Theoretically, a good He-Man movie would feature Skeletor exclusively entering scenes to mounting dramatic music and then he sits down on a throne and cackles or screams at Beastman, that gently caress-up!

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

Splint Chesthair posted:

Masters of the Universe should be Flash Gordon with a soundtrack by Dio instead of Queen.

Because you didn't claim copyright/patent in this post, I now claim this idea for myself and DO invoke perpetual copyright/patent and will demand royalties if this life changing cinematic event is created.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Grendels Dad posted:

Yeah, this.

Skeletor in the old movie, much like Shredder in the first Turtles movie, had a fantastic entrance. Just the movie letting the audience bask in their grandness as they marched into the scene. The people making those movies watched A New Hope and saw Darth Vader's entrance and said, "I want that!" and they were absolutely right to want that. Theoretically, a good He-Man movie would feature Skeletor exclusively entering scenes to mounting dramatic music and then he sits down on a throne and cackles or screams at Beastman, that gently caress-up!

See, the natural impulse is to give him a Darth Vader sense of gravitas. But Skeletor never really had that. Nobody remembers Frank Langella Skeletor, even though it's a pretty good Generic Fantasy Villain performance that was lacking neither in theatrics nor gravitas. You gotta give him the "Nyeehehehe Heeeee-Maaaaan!" nasally kinda grating voice as he shakes his fist. I mean, if you want you can still have him brutally killing people and stuff, but some of his menace should be downplayed. Which I guess you could do by having him lean into it so far it reaches the point of self-parody by having him do a portentous villain entrance like five times, including just when he's going to read a newspaper or something.

Like, the main idea of He-Man is that it's a Weird Fiction barbarian fantasy world, but made kinda silly to the point you forget how bugfuck nuts it is and just accept it as nearly mundane. Skeletor is a buff wizard with a skull-face who wants to conquer the world, you can't take it seriously, but you can lean into it and make him wry and wisecracking and at times kinda pathetic. This is a world where everyone's a roid-monster or is part-robot or something and nobody calls attention to it. The central joke of He-Man and Prince Adam is that this is a universe where being a hulking barbarian is a universal enough body type that Adam is just a normal guy you could plausibly confuse with his alter-ego.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Sourdough Sam posted:

A new He-man should be entirely stop motion using the toys. Just let this guy make the whole movie.

https://twitter.com/justinrasch_ani/status/1687675392927412224?t=Od8uo_9bUZWrxclH-WwERg&s=19

The Robot Chicken He-Man stuff is also great, I support stop motion he-man100%.

The toys are a mishmash of fantasy and science fiction with robots, meteor people, bee people, a skunk guy whose power is stink, lean into it and it will be amazing. And yet..

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ccs posted:

He's very funny in Seinfeld, except for the bits where he's doing standup comedy which are the least funny parts of the entire thing by a huuuuuge margin. I honestly have no idea if that was actually his standup routine or if it was written to be deliberately bad. If that was all him, then I'm going to say that he's not funny. Also he is into kids which is not ok.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Quote-Unquote posted:

He's very funny in Seinfeld, except for the bits where he's doing standup comedy which are the least funny parts of the entire thing by a huuuuuge margin. I honestly have no idea if that was actually his standup routine or if it was written to be deliberately bad. If that was all him, then I'm going to say that he's not funny. Also he is into kids which is not ok.

Also, his wife funded a gang of Zionist counterprotesters that brutalized UCLA students at their encampment earlier his week.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Young Freud posted:

Also, his wife funded a gang of Zionist counterprotesters that brutalized UCLA students at their encampment earlier his week.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI9UIzbxArQ

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Quote-Unquote posted:

The premise for the early seasons of the show is "where do comedians get their material. " He's playing Jerry Seinfeld, a mildly successful stand up comedian, so a lot of the stand up bookend is intentionally pretty mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Simplex posted:

The premise for the early seasons of the show is "where do comedians get their material. " He's playing Jerry Seinfeld, a mildly successful stand up comedian, so a lot of the stand up bookend is intentionally pretty mediocre.

And then by the seventh season, he's so well-to-do and successful that he can pay cash for a brand-new Cadillac for his parents.