Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Rhea Perlman and Will Ferrell were both the low points of the movie for me. Perlman because it was some pretty blatant corporate back patting and Ferrell because his character felt out of place, like he was left over from an earlier draft where he was the main antagonist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Will Ferrell I think they just took some unused footage from The Lego Movie, which I have to admit is a good production hack

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Baron von Eevl posted:

The Rhea Perlman stuff was extremely loving weird, and I mean that even relative to a movie where toys exist in an alternate dimension to ours and we accidentally teach one toxic masculinity. The entire last act went on far too long and felt out of place, but that "Ruth's ghost" poo poo was particularly ill fitting.

It struck the same way. There's a quote from Sontag or someone similar about creators trying to forcibly attach qualities to a work that are higher than they deserve. I kept thinking of it during Barbie, a colourful and amusing frivolity that periodically acts like it's making deep commentary.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ccs posted:

With that writer and that director it could be good. Although Dont Worry Darling was not well regarded.

Yeah has Wilde directed anything good?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Shageletic posted:

No.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There's one part about this Dwayne Johnson controversy that was overlooked.

Apparently he met with David Zaslav to convince the WBD CEO to put his friend Hiram Garcia in charge of DC movies. Garcia is the head of Seven Bucks, Johnson's production studio. However, WBD decided to go with James Gunn instead.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So the Russos saw what Zack Snyder was doing and thought "Hey, we want a piece of this cake too".

https://twitter.com/HollywoodHandle/status/1785373670862422054

Well if it didn't work last time building your own expanded universe, might as well try again in another genre.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Have any of these expanded universe initiatives actually worked? The only other cinematic universe that has gained any traction is the Monsterverse and that did the MCU thing of just grinding out movies and only expanded once those were successful.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The Conjuring universe does pretty well for itself

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Cooked Auto posted:

So the Russos saw what Zack Snyder was doing and thought "Hey, we want a piece of this cake too".

Well if it didn't work last time building your own expanded universe, might as well try again in another genre.

Didn't they do that and it was called the Marvel universe and it made a bajillion dollars? Well up until phase 4 at least.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Shageletic posted:

Booksmart was delightful

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Cooked Auto posted:

How about you guys make A MOVIE first, then see if anyone wants more of it?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Splint Chesthair posted:

What an odd idea

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Splint Chesthair posted:

Joke's on you, The Gray Man cinematic universe is already coming. Netflix wants a sequel and a spin-off.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The Beige Man

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Kevin Beige

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

High Warlord Zog posted:

And wasn't Birds of Prey an early COVID release? I feel like people were generally pretty positive on that one, and I think if she did a solo Harley movie again it'd do well.

It was right around the cusp and was the last movie I saw in theaters before the lock down happened. But because lady director and action scenes that didn't fit established super hero mold and and Snyder fans drama it wasn't a big opening at the box office. Covid killed any possible legs it would have had.

The James Gunn The Suicide Squad I think had that hybrid streaming/theater release thing they were doing so I'm not even sure how that gets measured. It might even have been right after they folded the DC streaming service into HBO Max?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
WB also had weird marketing for it changing the title/etc.

Overall I liked it a lot

Gun Suicide Squad IIRC was considered a huge flop but hey nowhere to fail but up at WB!!!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tars Tarkas posted:

The James Gunn The Suicide Squad I think had that hybrid streaming/theater release thing they were doing so I'm not even sure how that gets measured. It might even have been right after they folded the DC streaming service into HBO Max?

Correct. This was during the omincron era too, and even I stayed home that weekend

Looking at the box office the films that did well were a disney film and a fox film. Both were not streaming.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Suicide Squad was reviewed well and from what I understand it did pretty good on HBO Max. No way to tell how it would have performed at the box office under 'normal' conditions. I'm sure it would have done well, but not GOTG numbers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was also rated R. Same with BOP.

Also BOP rules. Great movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

BoP is a real mixed bag that doesn't really stick the landing and has like 4 different protagonists only 1 or 2 of which I enjoyed watching. But it was hella weird and def didn't seem like it came out of the regular superhero movie mold. A solid B-.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The jank was what made it cool imo. I really liked the R Rated Harley Quinn adventures minus Jered Leto. Too bad no one else wanted them

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Still waiting for the Huntress spinoff btw

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

There's individual elements of BOP that I like, but it felt like two movies mixed together so it didn't really work for me.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I think Robbie is popular enough on her own that being in a few bombs isn’t going to hurt her career that much. Eventually some suits might get it into their heads that it’s her fault somehow, but she was probably one of the main reasons people saw those movies at all.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
BoP and The Suicide Squad are the only DC movies I actually remember enjoying. B vs S had a few GREAT moments but I watched it for work a zillion loving times and it just annoys meme.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Remulak posted:

B vs S had a few GREAT moments but I watched it for work a zillion loving times and it just annoys meme.

Did you get hazard pay?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Birds of Prey was like an old Guy Ritchie film, only good,

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I didn’t think Gunn’s The Suicide Squad was that great. Better than the first one but that’s not saying anything. It feels like Peacemaker, which I did like, was what he really wanted to make and the movie was just in the way.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s grown on me a ton. I think it’s a lot of fun. But Peacemaker just works better all the way through. Mostly because Cena is just amazing

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I enjoyed the hell out of TSS but Peacemaker was amazing

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Apparently the first part of Kevin Costner's new western film cycle is 3 hours long.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

High Warlord Zog posted:

Apparently the first part of Kevin Costner's new western film cycle is 3 hours long.

Who was asking for this!!!!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

dr_rat posted:

Kevin Costner.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

dr_rat posted:

The Yellowstone audience probably, if they're not too pissed at Costner jumping ship to do his own thing.

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 02:13 on May 2, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dr_rat posted:

Dads

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's me, the guy who loved that anthology series Into The West.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's me, the guy who loved that anthology series Into The West.

I miss the era of TNT miniseries. Some fun, weird stuff out of those.

But yeah, better have an intermission or acts since there's no way the dads are staying awake for 3 hours straight of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

But yeah, better have an intermission or acts since there's no way the dads are staying awake for 3 hours straight of it.

You see what they need to do is have an ongoing bingo game happening in the background during the movie so the target demographic and their partners can play along at home! It will even work on repeat viewing as none of them would possibly remember what the numbers were!