Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

When a company announces stock buybacks at earnings, is that something that has already happened and they’re just informing people of it? Or currently ongoing at the time? Or would happen at a date in the future?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Cacafuego posted:

When a company announces stock buybacks at earnings, is that something that has already happened and they’re just informing people of it? Or currently ongoing at the time? Or would happen at a date in the future?

You need to read the release and/or filings. But generally announcing a new buyback facility means it will happen in the future.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

for the small caps. a company could have previously announced it had a share buyback plan.

and earnings is a good time to get an update from them on if or how much of that program they’ve used.

some the little poo poo co’s i like will sit on multi million dollar buy back plans for years with out using any of it which can be frustrating for me. person who like to speculate on tiny poo poo co’s

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

also fun small cap stuff. have an open buy back plan. not use any of it when the price is low. Then announce a new at the money share offering! at massively discounted share prices!

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
For a wild time check out CTNT 3-45-3 within 24 hours

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

It's been a while since I dabbled in the market and can't remember how this specific case works.

If I have 20k in various positions, and no other cash in the account (but have margin that isn't being used at all) and do this:

Sell X for $5k, and then immediately buy $5k of something else, I'm running on margin (5k worth) for a day until that first sell clears, correct?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

cr0y posted:

It's been a while since I dabbled in the market and can't remember how this specific case works.

If I have 20k in various positions, and no other cash in the account (but have margin that isn't being used at all) and do this:

Sell X for $5k, and then immediately buy $5k of something else, I'm running on margin (5k worth) for a day until that first sell clears, correct?

Your broker might show a margin load but you wouldn't pay interest on it with any broker I have ever used. That said the regulations probably allow for them charging interest here, if they do you should switch brokers.

Let me explain using the opposite since that might cause some interest to be charged.

If I buy for $5,000 then sell $5,000 of something else to make my account balance positive 2 hours later.

Merrill would charge me $0 they only care about closing balance.
Tasty would charge me 12%/year on $5000 for 2 hours so I dunno like $0.10?

This also changes if any of these are short positions. I assume these are all longs based on the nature of the question.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

cr0y posted:

Yah, believe so. I get dinged a few bucks for margin interest every now and then, and I think it's this.

Fwiw, just got a mail saying etrade is complying with new regulations to cut that settlement date down to one business day.

https://www.sec.gov/oiea/investor-alerts-and-bulletins/new-t1-settlement-cycle-what-investors-need-know-investor

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I guess I will see tomorrow if they charge me a couple nickels for interest or whatever, more of just a curiosity than anything. These sort of situations is really the only time I ever use my margin account.

I am on eTrade so that's neat

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

cr0y posted:

A good broker should just go by the settlement date and charge you daily interest if you end a day negative. Since these trades theoretically settle on the same day for opposing amounts it shouldn't cause a margin impact. If you're trading things with different settlement days then you might end up using margin for a bit. Or I guess if the sell doesn't settle on time they could ding you for it.

If you don't have a margin account then I guess you could get hit with violations of the free rising rule but honestly a competent broker shouldn't be letting you buy with unsettled cash on a cash only account anyway.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Also just as a reminder that this happening:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

ya ya T0 already

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

For example the only time I got dinged on margin interest was I had a trade for like $20k settling on Friday. Then on Thursday I also clicked the button to change my core settlement position to a MMF giving 5% interest. Under the hood however this locked up all my available cash until Monday while it converted everything to the MMF.

So on Friday $22k of cash goes out to buy the MMF (settling on Monday). Then the $20k trade also settles putting me into -$22k margin. I pay interest for 3 days (Friday , Saturday, Sunday) until Monday when the MMF switchover settles and then pays off the margin debt leaving me with +$2k.

I was a little miffed because it wasn't really all that clear when clicking the button to change the core position would put your cash in a liminal state for day and impact other settlements. It only ended up costing me like $20 though.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

pixaal posted:

ya ya T0 already

I cannot imagine a coherent reason its not this beyond broker greed for margin accounts or some high handed government trying to limit people churning their own accounts into dust.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

That NVDA after hours tho

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

our lord and savior nvda saving the market for another quarter

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

I know this isn't the same kind of settlement, but has anyone seen improved payment/fund transfer times as a result of the FedNow rollout?

Context from last year: https://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/pressreleases/other20230720a.htm

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

mrmcd posted:

For example the only time I got dinged on margin interest was I had a trade for like $20k settling on Friday. Then on Thursday I also clicked the button to change my core settlement position to a MMF giving 5% interest. Under the hood however this locked up all my available cash until Monday while it converted everything to the MMF.

So on Friday $22k of cash goes out to buy the MMF (settling on Monday). Then the $20k trade also settles putting me into -$22k margin. I pay interest for 3 days (Friday , Saturday, Sunday) until Monday when the MMF switchover settles and then pays off the margin debt leaving me with +$2k.

I was a little miffed because it wasn't really all that clear when clicking the button to change the core position would put your cash in a liminal state for day and impact other settlements. It only ended up costing me like $20 though.
I had a very similar thing happen to me, and now those $8 of annual accrued margin interest taunt me. It's annoying how most trades do their slow settling from margin balance to cash, but buying MMFs pulls from your cash immediately. Ideally Fidelity should realize I don't want to take out a margin loan just to buy a cash-like MMF position.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Update: did not get hit with any interest :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

cr0y posted:

Update: did not get hit with any interest :shrug:

You sure? Based on my experience with Merrill you aren't out of the woods yet, they don't calculate interest on Margin until after the trade fully settles. Tasty does this end of day like a sane broker, some brokers do things in really dumb ways.

So if you say sell an AMD 90P so you get paid to have a limit order open, you actually need $9000 cash and wont get charged the $1/day for 3 days. And then when you satisfy the funding you still have some interest not yet calculated that will still be added. If you aren't just long shares and using it to get perks for your Bank of America checking account I don't recommend Merrill for day trading. Their restrictions are pretty good if you are trying to learn and will keep you from touching stuff you probably shouldn't as a beginner.