Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

cheeseboy58 posted:

Theres a sekiro randomizer for pc. Pretty fun and spices things up a bit if you want some more sekiro action

I have been thinking about trying one of the overhaul mods since I got it in the sale (I originally played through on the PS5).

I did the same for Dark Souls II and had a complete blast with the full changes and different bosses and different map and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It's not rubber it's thermoplastic/TPR and they will peel on every single Edge eventually, because there is no adhesive that can permanently bind such a closed-cell material to injection mold plastic. usually the delamination process will start near screw holes or injection mold post holes and maybe migrate as air gets in. my guess is they will keep their bond for a while yet, even though it looks like it will peel off easy scraping it off is more work than it seems, and a new 3rd party grip can be adhered. not ideal design tho. cleaning can be done with white vinegar, but some gradual discoloration is also part of its lifecycle. obviously smokey and or humid environments will have an extra effect on the material. i'd advise against cleaning TPR or really any plastic surface with other chemical solutions or bleach, or even strong alcohol.
:ironicat:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
what is ironic about that

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

VideoGames posted:

I have been thinking about trying one of the overhaul mods since I got it in the sale (I originally played through on the PS5).

I did the same for Dark Souls II and had a complete blast with the full changes and different bosses and different map and everything.

Ah shoot didnt know there were any for. Dark souls 3 has a pretty good one that even has weapons from different games including bloodborne. Love that fromsoft games are highly moddable, well worth the $. Elden ring coop randomizer is pretty amazing too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ShoogaSlim posted:

i got past two sticking points i was having trouble with in sekiro tonight. but now i'm just up to another miniboss fight that feels like a huge pain in the rear end to memorize. die. respawn. fight or run past a bunch of grunts. get to the miniboss, fail to memorize the pattern or predict or react fast enough to the attacks. die. respawn. eventually get it. fight a bunch of low level easy grunts. another mini boss. repeat.

the movement feels pretty janky. like i'll run, jump onto some ledge, run, and go to jump again so i can hook onto some tree branch, and it all feels kind of unresponsive and accepts the running input well before it accepts the jump. a lot of times when i'm trying to get into a flow of movement, i just wind up running straight off a ledge i meant to jump off of at the last second.

also, wolf doesn't always grab onto ledges with consistency. enemies don't always get a red target on their back when i approach them from behind. it all just feels about 10% off and inconsistent which makes it annoying to replay the same parts after i inevitably die.

most of the time i just run straight into an arena of grunts and brute force them because it doesn't even pay to wait forever for them to attack you just so you can deflect. i'm still extremely early on in the game and some of these enemies get a red target with just a few sword slashes even when they're blocking if i just wail on them. i'm sure that will change as the game progresses and gets tougher, but it's not exactly training me to rely on deflects as much as i thought i would need to. and that just further fuels my lack of patience for dealing with any of them during these repeated attempts to kill one miniboss. i'm not gonna stealth around a section and backstab enemies when i can just slice them up or completely go around all of them and run straight to the miniboss so i can get my death over with.

idk. i did a ton of complaining when i first played bloodborne, but i really thought after playing bb, des, ds1, ds3, er, and lies of p, that sekiro wouldn't feel like that much of a departure. but i'm just not loving it the way i expected i would or thought i might based on all the praise.

i'll keep going, but it's a bummer i'm not having more fun with it.

Maybe it needs more tutorials

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Can't understand thinking Sekiro's movement is janky. It's one of the smoothest games I think I've played. Wolf definitely shouldn't be missing ledge grabs... but that does make me think you're doing them wrong. You know you don't have to time the grab move with when you're next to the ledge, right? You can just hold the button down and wolf will magnetize to any ledge so long as it's held.

Also, you're absolutely right that you should never be waiting for an enemy to attack to get a parry. You should always be aggressive as hell, way more than in other From games. You can cancel into a parry from almost any movement, so just stay offensive unless you see an attack coming. Never wait for them, just respond when they do come.

I, and many other Souls players, struggled a lot on the first run because I tried to play it like a Souls game. You shouldn't do that at all. There's no stamina and very few actions that lock you into an animation priority move. So you should always be sprinting, always be offensive. Don't walk around enemies, run. Don't wait for attacks to come, get in their face.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I should give Sekiro another go. It's the only souls game I couldn't finish and I gave up at the butterfly lady boss which is really early on.
I can finish all the other entries in the series but for some reason find Sekiro extremely difficult.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I respect Sekiro for being a cool game, but I've always felt the same way. pretty much agree with all of that stuff. I think it just clicked for other people way more than me. Something about the gameplay just doesn't gel with me at all.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really hope we get a Sekiro sequel - more than I want a Bloodborne or Elden Ring sequel.

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

I played Sekiro this year and struggled a lot initially but did figure it out and enjoyed it tons, when people say you can’t play it like a Souls game they’re being for real

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
No sequel. Make an action game about a fencer.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I should give Sekiro another go. It's the only souls game I couldn't finish and I gave up at the butterfly lady boss which is really early on.
I can finish all the other entries in the series but for some reason find Sekiro extremely difficult.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I´m kind of brokebrained when it comes to all kinds of Souls games that From Software develops. I buy them, thinking this will be a great ride and then drop off a third or fourth into the game. This has been a pattern from Dark Souls and you´d think I´d caught on by now but apparently not :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I did that all the way up to Bloodborne and finally sat down and tried to play one properly a bit after that (DS2 when the PS4 port came out) and ended up playing through the whole series.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I got to around the half way point in Demons Souls, DS1, DS2 and Bloodborne but DS3 is where it finally clicked for me and I got through to the end.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Bugblatter posted:

Can't understand thinking Sekiro's movement is janky. It's one of the smoothest games I think I've played. Wolf definitely shouldn't be missing ledge grabs... but that does make me think you're doing them wrong. You know you don't have to time the grab move with when you're next to the ledge, right? You can just hold the button down and wolf will magnetize to any ledge so long as it's held.

Also, you're absolutely right that you should never be waiting for an enemy to attack to get a parry. You should always be aggressive as hell, way more than in other From games. You can cancel into a parry from almost any movement, so just stay offensive unless you see an attack coming. Never wait for them, just respond when they do come.

I, and many other Souls players, struggled a lot on the first run because I tried to play it like a Souls game. You shouldn't do that at all. There's no stamina and very few actions that lock you into an animation priority move. So you should always be sprinting, always be offensive. Don't walk around enemies, run. Don't wait for attacks to come, get in their face.

You dont even need to hold the grab button. Just press it once in midair and Wolf will eventually grab the ledge automatically.

Only way to fail is to press the button too late because it has some delay

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
The one weird (non-combat) trick to Sekiro is swapping around the keybinds for block and dodge/sprint, so you can control the camera while you're sprinting without doing a weird claw grip.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

It's not rubber it's thermoplastic/TPR

What do you think the R stands for BP?

I don't have an Edge controller so I don't know for sure, but either that was right and it is thermoplastic rubber, or maybe you meant TPU like a phone case or something else.

Regardless having it just peel off the controller like that is reminding me of early DS4s and how you basically had to get thumb caps for them.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

If From does another sequel, I’d like Sekiro the most. They’ve done plenty of Souls games and other studios are doing that style of combat better now. However, there isn’t much else like Sekiro and certainly nothing on the same level.

I’d rather From did completely new things though.

Unrelated, I finished FF12. Shame about the combat, because in every other respect it’s my favorite FF game. If it had either 10 or 13’s combat it would be one of my favorite games of all time.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The world is crying out for Bloodborne 2. I want to see cool new trick weapons.

Sekiro 2 is also acceptable.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

A new Tenchu. Sekiro feels like they started with that idea then just veered off into something else. Or maybe a new Chromehounds.

From has so much cool stuff in their library, it's really impressive.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Bugblatter posted:

Unrelated, I finished FF12. Shame about the combat, because in every other respect it’s my favorite FF game. If it had either 10 or 13’s combat it would be one of my favorite games of all time.

Is it just boring?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
FF12 is top tier FF for me, I just like the way you can set up the gambit system. It's got a lot of depth to it.
I know it's not for everyone though.
The game as a whole is amazing; great story, great set pieces, great music, great voice acting, the whole lot. Alongside Rebirth, it's one of the most complete and well-rounded FFs to me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rinkles posted:

Is it just boring?

It's a game that "plays itself" because the gimmick is setting up basic programming routines to (mostly) automate combat.

I like it fwiw

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There are a lot more boring things to FF12 than the gambit system, for example everything else.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Nah it's cool

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah I love brown endless dungeons

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They're not all brown!!!!

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

Arist posted:

They're not all brown!!!!

But enough about the posts itt

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFXII is win, sorry to all those who cannot perceive its dopeness in full

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Imagine not liking FFXII lmao

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Don't have to imagine :smug:

It's pretty good

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I was having fun with Penny's Big Breakaway until I got to the second world's "boss," at which point either something went very wrong or I'm failing to understand how the riding mechanic works, because I'm spending a lot of time falling into the ocean for no apparent reason.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I have a soft spot for FF12. I liked running my hand built party machine around like a lawn mower, liked retooling it for boss encounters, loved the look and sound of everything. Couldn't tell you anything about the plot except that judges are pretty cool. It's high on my list of Final Fantasies that I got most of the way through and then moved on before finishing it.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
FF12 managed to pull off a world that feels comparable to FFXV or FF7 Rebirth and its on PS2.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I like setting up gambits, but once they’re set up it’s really boring to watch the game play itself. I literally have no idea what was going on in the final boss battles, but I guess I set my gambits up well because I won on the first try anyway. The 4x speed boost and the gorgeous scenery make it a bit more tolerable. Can’t imagine playing the whole game at actual speed.

Calling the dungeons brown and endless is insane. It’s one of the most colorful and visually diverse games I’ve ever played. Also, none of the dungeons are very long. I’d have bailed out if they were.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Brightman posted:

What do you think the R stands for BP?

I don't have an Edge controller so I don't know for sure, but either that was right and it is thermoplastic rubber, or maybe you meant TPU like a phone case or something else.

Regardless having it just peel off the controller like that is reminding me of early DS4s and how you basically had to get thumb caps for them.

Yeah, I'm aware, but that's sort of the point. Synthetic materials are designed to replicate the surface effect of the original material, in this case the 'grippiness' of natural rubber or latex rubber. 'Imitation Leather'/Polyurethane film, another synthetic used fairly often in electronics, clothing, and home furnishing has also been designed sell the surface characteristics of a natural material without having many (or any) of the benefits of that material, but reducing the cost of manufacturing. In addition to very different normal cellular lifespans synthetics also respond differently to humidity, cleaning products, spills, impact, contact with body oils, and uv light.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

FF12 is top tier FF for me, I just like the way you can set up the gambit system. It's got a lot of depth to it.
I know it's not for everyone though.
The game as a whole is amazing; great story, great set pieces, great music, great voice acting, the whole lot. Alongside Rebirth, it's one of the most complete and well-rounded FFs to me.

Yeah i agree it owns, i feel like the story isnt quite up there but the actual game and vibes and hanging out with the cast and world hell yeah loved just loving around and exploring.

gambit system was great if you turned it off for the main character so you still had control and just used it as an AI for the the other 3. First ff game i got 3 digits in hours wises and lvl99 characters in a single playthrough and 100% it on ps2. Only played it the once too. Really starting to jones for the remaster and the jobs...

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 21:20 on May 4, 2024

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

I said come in! posted:

Imagine not liking FFXIII & FFXIII-3 lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Yeah, I'm aware, but that's sort of the point. Synthetic materials are designed to replicate the surface effect of the original material, in this case the 'grippiness' of natural rubber or latex rubber. 'Imitation Leather'/Polyurethane film, another synthetic used fairly often in electronics, clothing, and home furnishing has also been designed sell the surface characteristics of a natural material without having many (or any) of the benefits of that material, but reducing the cost of manufacturing. In addition to very different normal cellular lifespans synthetics also respond differently to humidity, cleaning products, spills, impact, contact with body oils, and uv light.
Normally people aren't up for slicing hairs that thinly, should've just explained it instead of implying people were wrong for referring to it in a general way.

So they're using cheaper synthetic crap on their higher end controller, sorta feels like 1 step forward, 2 steps back in this instance unless it's not really that much of a problem.