Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Silver2195 posted:

Musical Accompaniment .. nerfed.

OH NO!

Paizo posted:

Page 90: The musical accompaniment spell became too easy to leave "on" at higher levels. Remove the Heightened (3rd) and Heightened (5th) lines from the spell.

Awww :(
My bard can't cast a cantrip and have hours of lofi beats to relax/study to anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

boxen posted:

OH NO!

Awww :(
My bard can't cast a cantrip and have hours of lofi beats to relax/study to anymore.

yeah my bard was very extra with a giant hat and loved to walk around with a soundtrack all the time but it is not worth assigning an exploration action to

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Insane that Winter Sleet is untouched. Just by spending an action, the kineticist forces enemies moving in or into their aura to spend one action to Balance (on top of any Stride actions already used that turn) - and if they fail this (which any enemy without a trained Acrobatics skill has a ~75% chance to do) they fall Prone. Crit fail (~25% chance) means they lose their ENTIRE TURN. And after that, any attacks that hit an enemy (or if they fail any save) in the Winter Sleet also forces a Reflex save or they fall prone. At least it's Reflex save and not Acrobatics check, but still crazy. And that's all not even counting that it just also gives Off-Guard to everyone in the aura too. AND buffing water impulses.

All that for a level 4 feat. Even if you need one or two support feats (like Safe Elements to make none of this affect your allies) it's still incredibly overpowered - honestly such a rarity in PF2E I wonder if whoever wrote the feat just misunderstood/misremembered entirely how the Balance action works.

At the very least make Balance work like Tumble Through, so you can just use it as a move action up until you hit the point where the Acrobatics roll is necessary. Saves you having to first spend an action to Stride, then another action to Balance as soon as you hit aura range. Even then the feat would be incredible, but it would be something.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Rythian posted:

Insane that Winter Sleet is untouched. Just by spending an action, the kineticist forces enemies moving in or into their aura to spend one action to Balance (on top of any Stride actions already used that turn) - and if they fail this (which any enemy without a trained Acrobatics skill has a ~75% chance to do) they fall Prone. Crit fail (~25% chance) means they lose their ENTIRE TURN. And after that, any attacks that hit an enemy (or if they fail any save) in the Winter Sleet also forces a Reflex save or they fall prone. At least it's Reflex save and not Acrobatics check, but still crazy. And that's all not even counting that it just also gives Off-Guard to everyone in the aura too. AND buffing water impulses.

All that for a level 4 feat. Even if you need one or two support feats (like Safe Elements to make none of this affect your allies) it's still incredibly overpowered - honestly such a rarity in PF2E I wonder if whoever wrote the feat just misunderstood/misremembered entirely how the Balance action works.

At the very least make Balance work like Tumble Through, so you can just use it as a move action up until you hit the point where the Acrobatics roll is necessary. Saves you having to first spend an action to Stride, then another action to Balance as soon as you hit aura range. Even then the feat would be incredible, but it would be something.

I imagine some of the balance is in the fact that you have to be in melee range to use it aggressively, and it effects everyone, not just enemies. So you're a big old blob of no-go zone your own allies have to maneuver around to get at enemies. If the kineticist takes the feat that increases the size of the kinetic aura he will constantly be making his own buddies off-guard unless he goes and stands in a corner to solo enemies. Super double edged sword.

If you use it as a passive shield and don't try to melee with it, then it is just a feature that discourages the enemies from targeting the healer. Getting into melee with this guy is a huge pain, so kill his friends first. A reverse-taunt.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

Safe Elements as an extra feat makes it a complete non-issue for your allies. So, yeah, granted, that's one extra feat, but that solves all of it.

EDIT: Oh it's been updated: https://paizo.com/pathfinder/faq

quote:

Page 32: Winter Sleet was too strong for multiple reasons. It's been revised to act more like the grease spell, no longer makes creatures off-guard automatically, and now uses your impulse DC. Your DC has a penalty to avoid a long-lasting ability with a low action cost from being too powerful, as often seen in the DCs of monster auras. The first paragraph now reads as follows; the second paragraph is unchanged.

"Bone-chilling, swirling sleet surrounds you, cruel as deepest winter. Surfaces in your kinetic aura are coated in slippery ice. A creature that moves on the ice immediately falls unless it succeeds at an Acrobatics check or Reflex save against your impulse DC – 2. A creature that Steps or Crawls doesn’t have to attempt a check or save. You’re immune to this effect."

Welp, that fixes everything I was worried about. Very cool.

Rythian fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 18, 2024

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Wait so is the off guard effect of winter sleet just gone?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
On the one hand I get that having a cantrip turn into a 24h buff just by you leveling is a little silly. On the other hand it feels almost petty to nerf Musical accompaniment. Like there's just one bard out there somewhere that really annoyed the poo poo out of a Paizo designer and this is how they get their revenge.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah. It kind of sucked that just having one character be in range means every single other way to make something Off-Guard was obsolete. No need to Feint, flank, or any spell or nothing. Just have kineticist be in range.

Rythian fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 18, 2024

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Even after the DC change, automatic off-guard to everything in range would still make it a contender for best aura in the class. I'm not particularly surprised.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Do we think there's going to be a foundry module for the Starfinder 2e playtest? I'd love to run it but the idea of doing it manually makes me want to die

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

atelier morgan posted:

yeah my bard was very extra with a giant hat and loved to walk around with a soundtrack all the time but it is not worth assigning an exploration action to

You can just cast it every 10 minutes, that doesn't need a exploration action

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Seems you can still potentially Trip lock someone on Winter Sleet though, since Stand is a move action they'd have to roll to stand up.

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
Well, I was only able to use winter sleet in one session, my ranged team mates will be disappointed.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Does anyone know what rarity Minotaur and Centaur are?

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Dick Burglar posted:

They also fixed the supramarine chair. Hooray.

I'm still not convinced whether the chair is supposed to count as being immersed in water for their "hydration" racial feature. Was kind of hoping they'd clarify that bit too. Oh well!

If it doesn't count then why bother with it over a normal wheelchair? Even if RAW it doesn't say it does, it's clearly intended to do so because it's a big jug of water with wheels.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Taear posted:

Does anyone know what rarity Minotaur and Centaur are?

Uncommon.

Kitfox88 posted:

If it doesn't count then why bother with it over a normal wheelchair? Even if RAW it doesn't say it does, it's clearly intended to do so because it's a big jug of water with wheels.

Well the reason to use it over a normal wheelchair without that is definitely the new errata’d speed boost for 5 foot movement merfolk.

But also, it very obviously provides an immersive bucket of water come on. At the end of the day, Merfolk are an uncommon ancestry. If you as a GM want to allow them, you should allow/interpret the rules to accommodate them functioning. If you don’t want to allow them, you should just not allow them rather than passive aggressively denying them access to the basic tools the game provides that allow them to function outside of purely aquatic environments.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Ah thanks, hopefully that means they're cheap (80 points)

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Chevy Slyme posted:

Uncommon.

Well the reason to use it over a normal wheelchair without that is definitely the new errata’d speed boost for 5 foot movement merfolk.

But also, it very obviously provides an immersive bucket of water come on. At the end of the day, Merfolk are an uncommon ancestry. If you as a GM want to allow them, you should allow/interpret the rules to accommodate them functioning. If you don’t want to allow them, you should just not allow them rather than passive aggressively denying them access to the basic tools the game provides that allow them to function outside of purely aquatic environments.

it’s reasonable to go either direction depending on campaign, players, the GM, and what they want to do, actually

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

sugar free jazz posted:

it’s reasonable to go either direction depending on campaign, players, the GM, and what they want to do, actually

I think it’s reasonable not to allow them.

I think it’s reasonable to allow them.

I don’t think it’s reasonable to say “you can do this but I’m going to deliberately interpret ambiguous rules towards you as unfavorably as possible just to make your life difficult”

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

A mermaid in a normal wheelchair would be a lot cooler than a mermaid in some weird water chair

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Andrast posted:

A mermaid in a normal wheelchair would be a lot cooler than a mermaid in some weird water chair

Normal wheelchairs don't offer the "move at least 20 speed" thing for mermaids, so it's rolling bathtub or bust.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Dick Burglar posted:

Normal wheelchairs don't offer the "move at least 20 speed" thing for mermaids, so it's rolling bathtub or bust.

if a gm says no to giving that to a mermaid with a normal wheelchair they don't deserve to play this game

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Chevy Slyme posted:

I think it’s reasonable not to allow them.

I think it’s reasonable to allow them.

I don’t think it’s reasonable to say “you can do this but I’m going to deliberately interpret ambiguous rules towards you as unfavorably as possible just to make your life difficult”

“Hey we’re playing a campaign where aquatic environments are always nearby and I m going to build the tension of needing to access those into the campaign because I know you as a player and I think it’d be fun for us and if it doesn’t work we can revisit it”

Not everything is an AP. this would work perfectly fine with my group and I have players who would be stoked that their characters attributes are being considered in the fundamental campaign design. Literally just talk to each other lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Dick Burglar posted:

I'm a little unsure why they didn't errata the wheelchair movement rules for this honestly. They at least put in the swim speed thing to make sure that supramarine chairs aren't just outright better than wheelchairs for things that don't swim, no ancestry is slower than 20 feet land speed anyway. I guess maybe they want to leave open design space for a slow land creature that can't use a wheelchair to avoid that downside?