Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Opopanax posted:

Loki's been cleaning up this weekend as everyone is running junk and mill decks

I've been abusing Loki decks all weekend with Pixie Annihilus. Loki can roll into so many dead draws - Sentry is dead unless he also got Annihilus or Lady D, Annihilus is dead if he didn't get Sentry or Hood, Pixie is just plain dead and half the rest of the deck are facilitators with no real board impact. Meanwhile I'm making all his cards full price with Mobius, clogging his board so he can't play the cards he stole, and if he plays Mobius against me I don't care because I can win without discounted cards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

My Second Re-Reg posted:

yknow, I won't lie and say I didn't have questions, but

can't argue with results

i think that is more opponent ineptitude rather than the deck being good

My Second Re-Reg
Aug 31, 2021

Come on down.
Let's make a deal.

ijyt posted:

i think that is more opponent ineptitude rather than the deck being good

T6 for me was Kang followed by Scarlet Witch/Cpt Marvel - that Aunt May's used to be a Baxter Building that would have won them the game when they dropped Red Hulk there. Like, I'm not going to proselytize this deck as the new meta or anything, but I feel like it actually has some decent utility/surprise factor.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

The best thing about off meta decks is no one has dedicated counters for what you're doing.

One of my favorites is the Asgardians package. Thor, Bill, Jane, and Odin. Throw in Psylocke or Hope for an energy cheat, add Dr. Doom, and fill out the rest with good cards. You'll win surprisingly often.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

My Second Re-Reg posted:

T6 for me was Kang followed by Scarlet Witch/Cpt Marvel - that Aunt May's used to be a Baxter Building that would have won them the game when they dropped Red Hulk there. Like, I'm not going to proselytize this deck as the new meta or anything, but I feel like it actually has some decent utility/surprise factor.

My favorite is whenever Kang proclaims "Time... Isn't what you think" and what he means by that is he wants to give his Buddy Guido one more day at the gym so he can get more swole.

Edit:
"You thought we skipped leg day...."
Masculine chuckle
"But it's always leg day."

BRB, gotta go rename my deck.

Edit 2
It's pretty drat effective against Magik, too. You want to hold off on playing Swordmaster and Omega Red, and play everything else. gently caress it, take a turn off. Whatever. Put Strong Guy in their most congested lane, Drop Onslaught on 6 onto Strong Guy.

You can have five(!) cards in hand on turn 7, play Kang wherever, see if they shut down Strong Guy somehow, and if they don't, great. Drop Omega Red on Strong guy and Swordsmaster wherever. You'll go from four, to two, to one card, and add 17 power to Strong Guy's lane and 13 power to wherever you play Swordmaster.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 30, 2024

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Jedit posted:

I've been abusing Loki decks all weekend with Pixie Annihilus. Loki can roll into so many dead draws - Sentry is dead unless he also got Annihilus or Lady D, Annihilus is dead if he didn't get Sentry or Hood, Pixie is just plain dead and half the rest of the deck are facilitators with no real board impact. Meanwhile I'm making all his cards full price with Mobius, clogging his board so he can't play the cards he stole, and if he plays Mobius against me I don't care because I can win without discounted cards.

Yep, during my climb with Loki the few times I ran into a Pixie deck it was always a bad time. It's a good shenanigan to counter his shenanigans.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
New patch out today:

- Check your Conquest shop, because a new mystery variant appeared at 150 medals.
- You can now buy custom borders for either 500 or 900 gold - most are neon and look like poo poo. It appears to be that you can only buy the borders in the 'custom' area for an individual card, meaning you can only buy those borders per character, and only if you've taken the card infinite. I would bet money these borders play into the upcoming 'mastery'.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Also:

https://twitter.com/unionsami/status/1785323886516580512

It's Bob, Agent of Hydra, not Hydra Bob.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Devo posted:

She's not meta defining or anything but I think she's just generically kind of decent. My gut says Red Guardian is better if you're comparing the two. US Agent has started to pop up in a couple lists but I think he's still just kind of lovely.

I'm not comparing them, just deciding if I'm skipping WW or not.

I guess I'll just skip because it doesn't seem she's essential and most of the time when I've made a "ah let's just get it even though it's not that good" decision I've regretted it later. (* glares at Man-Thing *)

If it turns out later she's required anyway I'll just buy her with tokens.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
I love Hydra Bob, the others look just kind of irritating. And I'm not liking how two of those cards (and presumably the entire deck around them) are totally deactivated by Luke Cage. It's great when you're against a Wong Hazmat deck and draw your Luke Cage but it's pretty miserable waiting for him, just knowing your win/loss depends on luck.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Red posted:

Also:

https://twitter.com/unionsami/status/1785323886516580512

It's Bob, Agent of Hydra, not Hydra Bob.

Huh.

Cassandra Nova: I assume "drain" means each cards get -1 and she gets +1? That's the only way a 3/1 statline makes any sense. So she's a 3/7 on curve, which is decent but not great, and playing her on turn 4 or 5 looks awful.

Ajax: can't see how he's better than HE Abom since, as Marx Headroom points out, he's easily rug-pulled by Luke Cage.

Hydra Bob: is a worse Martyr. Are they really gonna release him as a S5 card? That seems bold.

Copycat: I don't see it. Iron Lad is good because he can synergize with your deck. Stealing random enemy text is gonna be a lot less useful.

Gwenpool: a 4/12 that dodges Shang might actually be playable if there's a shell for her that can reliably deploy all the power she generates.

Makkari: is a 0/3 playable? I have no idea. I'm leaning toward no since you don't decide where her power goes but it's an interesting new effect.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 30, 2024

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Like drat. Hydra Bob is so bad. It's like if you glued together the worst bits of Martyr and Silk.

Edit: also, zero balance changes is odd, but the meta is in an okay place right now, so I ain't too upset about it. Still woulda been nice to see a few buffs for underplayed cards.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 30, 2024

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Hydra Bob seems good to me? If you play him on 6, and you're still losing the location, he'll move to another one - where you are potentially losing - and add 5 points to it.

Like, he won't move away from a location you're winning.

That 2/5 statline seems suspicious though, it's a bit too strong if the ability was actually good.

uXs fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Apr 30, 2024

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
You guys are crazy. At the game end he's Captain Marvel at half cost.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Isnt bob's effect closer to captain marvel than martyr? No guarantee he hits the right lane ofc.

EDIT: beaten

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Actually, two of those guys would be at home in my joke Strong Guy deck.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Veryslightlymad posted:

Kraven with Martyr, Cap Marvel, Bob and Silk is loving wild

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Veryslightlymad posted:

Not really. He won't move from a lane that you're winning by 6, and he won't always move to a lane that you are losing. But Martyr is a silly comparison, as she will move from a lane you're winning to make you lose and Bob only moves from a lane you're losing anyway.

E: also Bob doesn’t interact with Dark Dimension.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
So not as good as Captain Marvel, but definitely much better than Martyr. I am still quite suspicious of the 2/5 stats though, they seem to be high if the ability is good.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Silk with a different kind of unreliability seems about right.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'd say that's still probably better than Silk, at least in score calculating. Silk is probably better at running up Triggers, but are there any other than Kraven?
Edit:
Well, there's Kingpin, so he has an extra vulnerability.

I think he's very fair, on paper, for essentially a weaker Captain Marvel you can still drop on the last turn.

You can drop both on the last turn, which seems like it could go hard.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 30, 2024

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Is anyone else's game laggy as gently caress? I'm having trouble even playing cards on PC.

Concurred
Apr 23, 2003

My team got swept out of the playoffs, and all I got was this avatar and red text

where's my julia louis-dreyfus valentina variant second dinner. where is it

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

So I'm just gonna go ahead and throw it out there that if you want a powerful, meta-defining card, then Valentina probably ain't it. I'm having fun with her because I'm a sicko Loki player, but most of these 6 drops I'm pulling are bad.

e: Red Hulk, however, is a very good pull. In conclusion, Valentina is a land of contrasts.

Devo fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 30, 2024

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Maybe I'm crazy but I kinda think most 6 drops are pretty bad in general.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Veryslightlymad posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but I kinda think most 6 drops are pretty bad in general.

I wouldn't say bad, but many of them are very synergistic. Like, Apocalypse and Living Tribunal are good cards, but they're super poo poo if you pull them in a random deck not equipped for them.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Valentina in one, which is great, but I'm a sucker for luchador variants and ended up spending 3 to get The Revolting Blob.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
valentina will scale in power the more six drops they add to the game and is a pretty straightforward add to a loki deck, especially if you're running one of the decks that mitigates the power decrease with cage

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Devo posted:

Is anyone else's game laggy as gently caress? I'm having trouble even playing cards on PC.

If you've updated your client to the new version, this is probably new assets still being downloaded. Unlike most other games like this, SD decided to make the new assets that come with a patch download in the background instead of having a download screen when you launch the game. This was a terrible decision since as of last month's patch the game is virtually unplayable while this is happening. Today's update also took longer than usual, either because the assets are large or the servers are slammed, I dunno.

On mobile there's a purple bar and tiny text at the bottom of the main screen when assets are downloading (it restarts several times for the different asset types). If you're seeing it, wait it out.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

orenronen posted:

If you've updated your client to the new version, this is probably new assets still being downloaded. Unlike most other games like this, SD decided to make the new assets that come with a patch download in the background instead of having a download screen when you launch the game. This was a terrible decision since as of last month's patch the game is virtually unplayable while this is happening. Today's update also took longer than usual, either because the assets are large or the servers are slammed, I dunno.

On mobile there's a purple bar and tiny text at the bottom of the main screen when assets are downloading (it restarts several times for the different asset types). If you're seeing it, wait it out.

They did this even on PC? :pwn:
I'm no computer guy but that doesn't seem to make sense.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It is running like rear end on my phone but fine on Steam

It took me 4 keys to get Valentina, but I had wanted a Knull variant (I only had a Pixel), so it's fine. I still have 3 keys and a shitload of tokens.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

flatluigi posted:

valentina will scale in power the more six drops they add to the game and is a pretty straightforward add to a loki deck, especially if you're running one of the decks that mitigates the power decrease with cage

that really isn't the case

you're not picking a 6 drop, it's random - her power is a function of the ratio of 'good' to 'bad' hits among 6 drops, so while new cards might be helpful they might just as easily reduce the average power level of her on-reveal

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
that's what i meant by scale in power

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

new cards you don't immediately want are good to lower the likelihood of 1000 token spotlight keys

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The first two times I played Valentina I got Agatha and then Ultron. Not a good start.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Fate Accomplice posted:

new cards you don't immediately want are good to lower the likelihood of 1000 token spotlight keys

Yeah. I'm inclined to got 4/4 on skipping cards now.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I have 17000 tokens and 25 keys and after seeing the spotlight cache datamines through July I'm considering spending tokens on cannonball

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

flatluigi posted:

that's what i meant by scale in power

gotcha - the way you phrased it made it sound like you were characterizing it as pure upside, similar to the (significantly flawed) arguments people make about Grand Master and Absorbing Man getting increasingly good as more and more on-reveal effects are added to the game, which is true for them in a way that it isn't with Valentina b/c of the degree to which you can control the effect via deck construction

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
agatha being 6 mana is going to be a pretty tough worst case scenario, though she always tries to play herself first and as such you're mostly just dropping agatha the turn after you play valentina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Fate Accomplice posted:

I have 17000 tokens and 25 keys and after seeing the spotlight cache datamines through July I'm considering spending tokens on cannonball
There are some that could be good, but I do think a lot of the upcoming cards will be kind of mid to bad.

5/7- Nocturne, Caiera, Selene- Probably a skip. Nocturne is a more expensive Scarlet Witch. Caiera was stronger when Thanos was more dominant. I would say she is the best of these three cards. Selene is just not good outside of Junk decks.
5/14- Sage, Legion, Living Tribunal- Sage costs too much for her ability to be any good, outside of maybe a Negative shell. Legion has kind of come and gone from the Meta. He's alright. LT is essential if you are trying to make a LT deck but that's about it.
5/21- Namora, Black Knight, Skaar- I don't see any reason not to skip here. Namora seems bad, BK is OK but not essential for Discard, and Skaar is decent but not essential to any deck.
5/28- Sasquatch, Havok, Ravonna- Sasquatch could be decent but it's kind of up in the air. He is very similar to She-Hulk though. Havok is bad, Ravonna is useful in some decks but not an essential card.
6/4- Thena, Gladiator, Grandmaster- Thena seems like she will be very limited in what kinds of decks you can play her in. Gladiator is strong in the Mill deck shell right now. Grandmaster is just bad.
6/11- Sersi, Miek, Phoenix Force- Sersi at 5 cost for her ability seems like a no-go. She randomly changes cards and that has a good chance of being bad. Miek is not very essential for discard. PF is only used in one specific deck right now and that's about it.
6/18- Makkari, MODOK, X-23- If you somehow don't have MODOK and/or X-23 this is a good week. Otherwise, Makkari is alright since she is a free play in hand but Silver Surfer already has too many 3 drops as it is. MODOK is pretty much essential for discard and X-23 is just about essential for Destroy.
6/25- Phastos, Spider-Ham, Corvus Glaive- I think this is a decent week. Phastos could be super useful. Spider-Ham is alright but he is a Series 4 now so I don't think he is worth a key. Corvus is extremely strong in Discard.
7/2- Arishem, Black Swan, Hercules- I would skip. Arishem seems like a fun card but I have no idea in practice if he will be any good. The other two cards are not good.
7/9- Hydra Bob, Galactus, Nebula- These all seem like OK cards, but Galactus and Nebula have been in a million Spotlights already.
7/16- Ajax, Darkhawk, BRB- Ajax could get really big in a Toxic deck. Darkhawk is a dead card now at 5 cost. BRB is alright but I rarely ever see him in play now.
7/23- Copycat, Cull Obsidian, Thanos- This week would have been better had they not nerfed the hell out of Thanos lately. Copycat seems extremely dependent on random chance to be any good. Cull Obsidian is alright but nothing special.
7/30- Cassandra Nova, Hope Summers, Proxima Midnight- Cassandra could be good but I would wait and see. Hope is a very strong card right now. Proxima is very very useful in Discard since she is usually a free 7 power on the board.