Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

SirFozzie posted:

Is it worth holding off a Malakai run until they fix the grudge mechanic?

Malakai probably has the easiest time of it since he's surrounded by chaos and stuff.

Also it's not a big deal and you can mostly ignore it. The penalty is -1 control and -10 growth. Hardly worth fretting over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
link them then

toasterwarrior posted:

the strongest truth in any total warhammer game, very good to remember

i can think of like three mods that already address it, they all work very well

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Impermanent posted:

link them then

pfft fine smdh

use these two together for a p good balance, it's the one i use:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3236335730

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3236146118

this one popped up after the hotfix notes were up and talked about what CA is probably planning to do, includes their proposed changes

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3238544732&searchtext=reckoning

and this one is new, just came out today

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=3239207647&searchtext=reckoning

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Charging into braced spears should perforate any unit, imo.

Basically, I want it to work like in Three Kingdoms, where braced spears reflect all the damage back. It's way, way funnier that way.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Skarbrand loving dies instantly because the mass of skavenslaves he just tried to walk through decided to stand their ground

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

amending this, the other paired mod just updated with an option to set turn timers for ages of reckoning and they're now incompatible, just use the other one and set the timer to 15 for the experience

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
You know what thunderbarges remind me of? a cheat unit like a machine gun car in age of empires, they need to be extremely vulnerable to cheap counter units if they are to be balanced as a infinite ammo gun platform, a simple swarm of bats should be scary for their crew, a couple handgunners threatening to pop the balloon should be dangerous (instead of the barge just tanking it and killing the gunners faster), it should be like a cannon crew, it can pile on a ton of damage but it'll need supporting units to really make it shine.

And even with all that, it would still absolutely single-handedly hard-counter melee only factions and require to have counterpick units in every single dwarf matchup just in case it's brought.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 14:06 on May 5, 2024

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Actually it should do twice as much damage and be able to fly high enough that units can't shoot up at it.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Ravenfood posted:

The hell? I'm getting 200-500 and my army is almost entirely guns.

Not sure what to tell you. Here's an example, against a garrison and a stack:

I do have the +15% schematics tech, but I think that's it.

EDIT: Playing on Normal battles, VH campaign.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Fat Samurai posted:

Not sure what to tell you. Here's an example, against a garrison and a stack:

I do have the +15% schematics tech, but I think that's it.

EDIT: Playing on Normal battles, VH campaign.

State troops don't earn any schematics.

For every unit of state troops in your army you will earn fewer schematics.

If all of your gunnery units are state troops you will earn no schematics.

Don't use gunnery state troops as Nuln!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Good catch. Wonder if thats a bug?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Small thing but wow, the lighting in the unit porthole actually looks good now

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
loving ungrim took eschen from me and it's the last empire province I need for 100 authority and he won't give it back!!! For some insane reason he considers it to have over 100 economic value. Because of the wine I guess??? I hate it. I'm not gonna attack him cuz he's my military ally...

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
anyone with impressions about dwarf ranged unit changes and additions?

cannon grapeshot is obviously broken but there's a recent rebalance mod that makes it a lot more sane. regardless a pair of cannon still very much have their key role in my stacks as general thing killer from across the map

thunderers lost their reload tech but gained another range tech, which imo is very worth it. they still kick rear end despite their slower reloads, and reliably snipe characters and large units

irondrakes remain your best scalpel once scrums begin, and their grudge variant is hilariously good with the extra range and self synergy damage buff

grudge throwers are good as ever, not much else to say. turns out they don't need anything to shine more than they already do tbh

flame cannons with malakai's buffs, however, totally beat them with their tabletop accurate heavy flamethrower revamp. hats off to CA for getting that done right after all these years, would've forgiven them for not going for it at all since they were already very good but the attention to detail is great. they're still very good at their job of mulching mass enemies regardless of armor, but also now much more dangerous in terms of friendly fire

everything else i haven't tried enough. i thought flamer gyros could replace irondrakes but nah, not really, IDs just have too much firepower in comparison. organ guns don't really seem worth it compared to a proper thunderer/cannon combo, since the former can still focus down targets very well. haven't tried trollhammers yet but i might use them in lieu of thunderers out of curiosity, but also apparently the grudge trollhammer choppers are crazy good

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Tamurkhan progress turns 20-65:

I snuffed out Grimgor fairly quickly and turned my attention to Greasus. Cults had alerted me to Ku’Gath and Epidemius (who I assumed was a caster! He is not!) and one of my common drops this campaign has been the bonus to relations to Nurgle factions follower so they were quite friendly. Greasus had run out into the badlands in a war with Drazoath so taking the rest of the mountains was pretty easy. Ku’Gath wiped Ghorst and started in on Imrik, who wiped his stack at one point. I check diplomacy every turn so I was able to confederate him. Queue The Iron Dragon and Gelt steam rolling west and I had nothing to defend my new territories and those two bros took every one of my islands just as my main stacks arrived. I took out Imrik’s stack, grabbed my precious Pigbarter, and began to drive the Elves out of the east (a work still in progress). After retaking the islands and the southern route into Cathay, I’ve got Ku’Gath and a Nurgle/Chorf bombard army invading Cathay, Tamurkhan heads into the badlands to clean up some remaining green skins, while another stack wipe off screen has given me an Epidemius confederation who is now building a mammoth herd stack to lead.

I’ve grabbed every hero and unlocked most of the extra units, although I don’t have the armies to fit them all at this point because there is a max of 8 per army. I’ve also just finished up all their devotion quests, some of them are quite difficult including a hold out battle on a timer with endless attacking armies. One annoying thing is you get pop ups with dilemmas that have you choosing between your heroes and they get salty when you don’t pick them. Minor debuffs are common but I had three turns in a row where one of the heroes gets wounded for five turns. They respawn where they got wounded so it’s kind of annoying to play catch up to your armies. A lot of them have great buffs, so you kind of tailor your armies around them .

Anyway, I’m looking a bit unstoppable now, just need to trek to Nuln I guess.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Antigravitas posted:

Charging into braced spears should perforate any unit, imo.

Basically, I want it to work like in Three Kingdoms, where braced spears reflect all the damage back. It's way, way funnier that way.

This is a good take for non fantasy, a bad take for Warhammer. There are so many units that this makes little to no sense in the world that the 3k mechanic just ain't it. Like the gently caress is a clanrat spear going to do to a Juggernaut rider? Or a doomwheel? Or a carnosaur?

On top of that, the 3k bracing is offset by how completely brutal uncheck cav are in that game. Cav are a lot better after some of these updates, but they ain't 3k shock cav good, not even remotely.

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
kirov reporting

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

It's been ages since I've played, let alone as Empire, but are the old heroes outside of wizards pretty lame? Or do I just need to get good and do something more complicated than checkerboards with the best guns I can get?

The prayers of the warrior priest are fine, but the unit itself seems to just get thrashed by anything that isn't zombies or skavenslave level bad. The growth/replenishment seem to be the only real draw early on.

Witch hunter seems fine, but no more useful than cramming in more tricked out gunpowder units.

The captains/officer feel super bland and perhaps a bit weak with how strong/synergistic newer heroes and units get.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Just picked this up and something has confused me a bit. I restarted my Elspeth campaign and noticed that I don't get issued certain missions anymore. For example, I'm sure in my first attempt there were missions to capture a certain amount of provinces and to issue a commandment, some stuff about my hero, but I'm not seeing those in my 2nd try. Am I going mad or were they some kinda tutorial mission system you only do once over multiple campaigns?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Warrior priests are for buffing your front line, so yeah they're not as good in melee. Captains are your duelist heroes but they aren't particularly standout. Witch hunters are kind of a weird unit, mostly useful as a world map unit I think. They used to be OK at gunning down bigger units but the engineer far outclasses them in that regard and general utility.

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Deketh posted:

Just picked this up and something has confused me a bit. I restarted my Elspeth campaign and noticed that I don't get issued certain missions anymore. For example, I'm sure in my first attempt there were missions to capture a certain amount of provinces and to issue a commandment, some stuff about my hero, but I'm not seeing those in my 2nd try. Am I going mad or were they some kinda tutorial mission system you only do once over multiple campaigns?

Go into options and click the reset advice button if you want missions again.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Twigand Berries posted:

Go into options and click the reset advice button if you want missions again.

Oh nice, thanks :)

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Witch hunters are one of the best campaign heroes in the game and priests are useful for their prayers and situationally delaying some bigger units while your ranged troops do the killing. I like the Empire heroes, good units but not absurd powerhouses.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!
I think that accusation skill on witch hunters can be pretty good for bringing down a specific target with your guns? I can't remember exactly what it does now though

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
My Engineer Lord, Fire Wizard, 14 Nuln Ironsides, and 4 Helstorm stack just beats everything. Having a hard time making any other army because its just so effective against everything.

I used to hate rifleman units because they couldn't shoot over walls in a siege....but then I realized I can just make holes in the walls with my rockets and shoot through them. The AI has absolutely no idea how to deal with this one neat trick.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
empire heroes tend to be support pieces rather than the insane combat monsters other factions get access to

its not really surprising that a normal rear end dude, even one trained to a high standard, can't go toe-to-toe with the insane combat monsters that factions like Chaos or Vampires get access to, you could probably beat a goblin or a skaven hero into the dirt though

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Captains are good for fixing single entities while your hyper upgrades guns blast it to pieces. The new skills offer decent army wide buffs to infantry and you can now get heroic killing blow along with the yellow line steroids for good burst damage.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
They also re-did a lot of empire skills. For lords and heroes. There are a lot of useful army-support skills on the heroes now that didn't exist before.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Are there any good lists for renaming various greenskin settlements to proper Dwarf holds?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

SHISHKABOB posted:

Are there any good lists for renaming various greenskin settlements to proper Dwarf holds?

I don't have a direct link, but I know there are mods that automatically rename settlements if they change hands like that, and others that make it so the settlement graphics change so the dwarves clean up the greenskin poo when they move in.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, check the list provided by this mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2010236075

It's both loreful AND silly and it's great.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Cardboard Fox posted:

My Engineer Lord, Fire Wizard, 14 Nuln Ironsides, and 4 Helstorm stack just beats everything. Having a hard time making any other army because its just so effective against everything.

I used to hate rifleman units because they couldn't shoot over walls in a siege....but then I realized I can just make holes in the walls with my rockets and shoot through them. The AI has absolutely no idea how to deal with this one neat trick.

Did they tweak it in this or another recentish patch? Because the sight lines for shooting through wall holes or open gates have generally been extremely finicky in my past experience. It's doable, but requires a lot of unit shuffling and is extremely susceptible to poo poo being even like a pixel off from what the underlying mechanics want resulting in your unit trying to walk through the hole instead of shooting the targeted unit just on the other side.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I don't have a direct link, but I know there are mods that automatically rename settlements if they change hands like that, and others that make it so the settlement graphics change so the dwarves clean up the greenskin poo when they move in.

Azran posted:

Yeah, check the list provided by this mod:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2010236075

It's both loreful AND silly and it's great.

Thx homies.

edit: hey one of these changes Red Eye Mountain to Karak Ungor and I swear to god I saw Karak Ungor in my recent Elspeth game... did they change it from Warhammer 2 when this mod was made? I'm too far away in my current dwarf game

SHISHKABOB fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 5, 2024

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Got a little too comfortable in an Easy game mopping up Norsca with a generic Empire army with low-tier infantry, handgunners, knights, and a couple cannons. Everything was going fine knocking over Norscan settlement garrisons until I accidentally hit a Khorne fortress complete with a full army. Let me tell you, a Khorne horde can walk without stopping through a basic Empire army, no matter the formation.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

SHISHKABOB posted:

Thx homies.

edit: hey one of these changes Red Eye Mountain to Karak Ungor and I swear to god I saw Karak Ungor in my recent Elspeth game... did they change it from Warhammer 2 when this mod was made? I'm too far away in my current dwarf game

Yup

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Lord Koth posted:

Did they tweak it in this or another recentish patch? Because the sight lines for shooting through wall holes or open gates have generally been extremely finicky in my past experience. It's doable, but requires a lot of unit shuffling and is extremely susceptible to poo poo being even like a pixel off from what the underlying mechanics want resulting in your unit trying to walk through the hole instead of shooting the targeted unit just on the other side.

I know they did some work on siege pathing, but I haven't noticed anything new while shooting through walls. It doesn't seem to matter though, as I just line them all up along the holes and let whichever units are perfectly aligned shoot through. The large ammo amount increase of the nuln units really makes longer battle swing hard in your favor.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Canopus250 posted:

It's been ages since I've played, let alone as Empire, but are the old heroes outside of wizards pretty lame? Or do I just need to get good and do something more complicated than checkerboards with the best guns I can get?

Warrior priests are great. On the campaign map they are +Replenishment, which is one of the two most powerful army buffs (+movement from the engineer being the other). On the battlefield their prayers are great - and you either use them to pray and reinforce your melee line or send them into the enemy army so they blob up on the hero and you then get to shoot the hell out of the enemy.

Captains are good. Hold the Line is a solid buff (and the new three are better). Their main roles are diving in to get the enemy to blob up, taking a pegasus and taking out the enemy artillery, and beating up enemy characters.

Witch Hunters are better than they look. On the campaign map they have Block Army and aren't losing much (unlike wizards and engineers) if you take them out of your 20 stack briefly to block the enemy army. On the battle map their big thing is Accusation which they pick up at level 3 (and is a must take). If you're focus firing a target single them out with Accusation and for the next 35 seconds they get slammed with -24 MD, -30 Armour, -20 physical resist, and -20 missile resist. -20 physical resist and -20 missile resist is at least 40% extra damage from most missile troops. Which means if you've got something you want blasted down a witch hunter and two missile units will almost always get an early headstart over three missile units of the same type. And being a hero they at least last a long time in melee against almost anyone. I'd look to put one into any Empire infantry gunline/checkerboard, although not an artillery line or a Karl Franz or Volkmar melee army.

I'd say that engineers and warrior priests are pretty much must haves for the campaign effects alone and are great on the battlefield (and wizards are wizards) while captains and witch hunters are optional but useful; not worth going far out of your way to get capacity for but worth recruiting if you can.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Canopus250 posted:

The prayers of the warrior priest are fine, but the unit itself seems to just get thrashed by anything that isn't zombies or skavenslave level bad. The growth/replenishment seem to be the only real draw early on.

Witch hunter seems fine, but no more useful than cramming in more tricked out gunpowder units.

The captains/officer feel super bland and perhaps a bit weak with how strong/synergistic newer heroes and units get.

In addition to what others said, take a good hard look at the witch hunters exclusive choices and try to match up traits and exclusives. Cunning + the ambush line can basically guarantee an ambush in owned territory, and if you're aggressive with them, kit them out in the right gear for their tasks. The Accusation skill gets way nastier with a tormenter sword for example - 3 guns plus that combo will allow you to delete SEMs/lords. Magic is of course generally king, but you only have so much capacity.

Captains and priests with some good armor and resists are great for clustering the enemy and blowing them up with artillery/guns while not worrying about blowing your infantry to poo poo, while having good utility. A well geared Empire Captain can be extremely nasty, and priests can get quite tanky.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

TaintedBalance posted:

In addition to what others said, take a good hard look at the witch hunters exclusive choices and try to match up traits and exclusives. Cunning + the ambush line can basically guarantee an ambush in owned territory, and if you're aggressive with them, kit them out in the right gear for their tasks. The Accusation skill gets way nastier with a tormenter sword for example - 3 guns plus that combo will allow you to delete SEMs/lords. Magic is of course generally king, but you only have so much capacity.

Just to clarify the three witch hunter exclusive pairs are not even remotely equal.
  • The first skill line is just bad. Unbreakable is an anti-skill that can get you killed and physical resistance 10% is ehhh. Slightly lowering the enemy's Winds of Magic won't make a difference. Which means that the only thing it actually brings that's useful is a significant vigour loss reduction for the army against Chaos (excluding Beastmen) or Greenskins. Which is ... good but situational; it does nothing at all against Vampires (or Tomb Kings for Volkmar), Marienberg or other Empire rivals, Wood Elves (Drycha), Cathay (if you're Gelt) or even Beastmen. It might well be worth it on an army you're stationing up in Nordland or even Kislev to burn the Norscan coast back but that's about the only time.
  • The second line is the combat line. +20% army ambush is great - and stalk, snipe, and a +15% AP missile damage (which on its own is three dots in the yellow line) is almost always useful. This is the obvious default.
  • The third line is the "agent" line with the only combat ability being flaming attacks. Corruption reduction isn't bad - but 35% extra assassinate chance is great if you aren't just killing people on the battlefield. And 25% agent protection can stop the computer annoying you ... or do absolutey nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

35% extra assassination chance is loving wild